Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2011, 00:32   #1
BHPian

Automatic below 16 lakhs

I have a one year old ANHC gone only around 6500km. I Love the car but might either sell it or pass it on to my dad cause i desperately need an automatic car. The traffic in areas where i drive around is quite horrible and with everyday that passes by i have become more and more convinced about my NEED for an automatic car.

I know i could have avoided all this if i had bought an automatic honda city a yr ago!! (Could have, would have, should have!!..nothing i can do about it now!!)

I drive about 30 kms per day and do make the occasional long trip every couple of months. I dont want to push my budget too much and i have kept around 16 lakhs as an appx limit.

Things that i consider important in descending order:
Good pick up/ acceleration
Ease of driving in heavy traffic
Fuel economy
Reliable A.S.S
Comfort and convenience features (usb, steering controls, etc)
Would like the car to be stable at high speeds (180+) on my long drives

Some questions that i'd like your opinions on..

Considering my usage and my requirements would you suggest a petrol or a diesel automatic car ( the price difference per litre is 28 rupees !!!!!)?

I know the civic AT is an option in this price range, but should i not consider it as the new model is likely to launch next year? The newer model to be launched might have more features but based on the pics it doesnt look half as good as the current gen civic! Your opinions please..

Is skoda worth considering when their shambolic A.S.S? Its also more expensive than civic and cruze by atleast a lakh with less features.

I don know whether i should seriously consider the fluence as renault is yet to establish themselves here in india (after their split with mahindra). I also don like the toyota corolla or the 4 speed AT in the ANHV so please don recommed me that!

With new jetta dsg, new fiesta, skoda rapid, and possibly linea with duologic gear box coming this year should i wait till the end of year to have more options?

PLease advice guys!
Old 17th June 2011, 09:29   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Automatic below 16 lakhs

1) Skoda the AT one for the power & looks IMHO. And the fun.
2) Check out the new just launched Altis, the 7 gear-wala auto should be fun if you want auto. Kmpl part, a.s.s & compfort, Altis should make you more happy. Forget about outright acceleration fun part with the diesel.
3) Cruze is the 'in' this these days. The auto is the best option.

I also read about a team-bhpian who was happy with the new Verna which had power,looks, a.s.s., all the gimmicks you can think of when he could have bought any of the car I had listed above.

And I dont want to be caught dead in a Jetta that looks like a Polo or Vento.
Old 17th June 2011, 09:44   #3
Senior - BHPian

How about the Cruze? This car would check most of your boxes I guess. And unlike the manual, I hear that it is immensely drivable in the city.
Old 17th June 2011, 09:53   #4
BANNED

My vote goes to Cruze Auto

Fantastic car, solid build quality and really appealing design.

But that engine with its suspension set-up is a Monster, gobbles up anything thrown to it.
Old 17th June 2011, 10:06   #5
Team-BHP Support

1. New Honda Civic - Since you're a Honda owner, I will suggest waiting for the new Civic. Externally, it may not be as interesting as the existing one. But should be an improved package overall
  2. Skoda Laura TDI CR DSG AT
  3. VW Jetta – Not sure if an auto-box will be provided as an option. And secondly, the price may go above 16 lakhs.
Old 17th June 2011, 10:25   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
1) Skoda the AT one for the power & looks IMHO. And the fun.
2) Check out the new just launched Altis, the 7 gear-wala auto should be fun if you want auto. Kmpl part, a.s.s & compfort, Altis should make you more happy. Forget about outright acceleration fun part with the diesel.
3) Cruze is the 'in' this these days. The auto is the best option.

I also read about a team-bhpian who was happy with the new Verna which had power,looks, a.s.s., all the gimmicks you can think of when he could have bought any of the car I had listed above.

And I dont want to be caught dead in a Jetta that looks like a Polo or Vento.
There ! http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...-lac-soup.html
Old 17th June 2011, 12:02   #7
BHPian

Thanks guys..
@jkdas- The skoda really does fit my requirement perfectly except for the lack of many convinience features and the poor a.s.s. Also the dsg version comes to 18+ lakhs. And somehow the new altis just looks too dull for me and appears more suitable for the chauffer driven geriatrics. Thanks i did go through that thread, but here are some specific q's i'd like you opinions on.
1) should i wait till the end of the year for more options like the skoda rapid, new fiesta, and possibly an automatic version of the linea?
2) In the laura and cruze automatic i still hear that the acceleration and the 'fun to drive' factor isnt too far away when compared to the petrol ones.

@ pavan & arvind - Cruze AT does make the most sense but somehow im put off the poor quality of the plastics in the interior (overall feels cheap and lacks class) and the lack of a dead pedal.

@vb-san - If the pics are anything to go buy the 2012 civic looks like an ugly cousin of the anhc. Im sure it would be loaded with features and might come with a better engine but if i cant get past the looks then there ends my interest in the car!

Thanks guys
Old 17th June 2011, 13:21   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

At your budget both the Cruze LTZ AT and the Skoda 2.0 CRDI DSG are options. If backseat comfort is not big in your list of priorities, go for the Cruze: true diesel rocket and what a looker. Plus the Skoda A.S.S. is iffy and the DSG has reported major failures on the forum.

Civic AT is an awesome car to drive but I don't advise anyone to buy petrol cars these days...sigh! That rules out the Fluence, Vento and ANHC, since these offer petrol-only in AT. Fluidic Verna diesel AT is a 4-speed, but TD it before you dismiss it anyway. AFAIK, the Corolla Altis doesn't even have an AT box mated to the diesel, and you don't seem to like that brand anyway!

Choose to Cruze!
Old 17th June 2011, 15:02   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinj14 View Post
@vb-san - If the pics are anything to go buy the 2012 civic looks like an ugly cousin of the anhc. Im sure it would be loaded with features and might come with a better engine but if i cant get past the looks then there ends my interest in the car!
Perfectly understand.
I forgot to mention the Renault Fluence. The petrol is fully loaded, and according to the reviewers the steering is one of the better one is business.
And also, if reports are to be believed, the Fiesta AT maybe coming in before end of the year. But I am not sure if they’ll offer it for both petrol and diesel versions. The Fiesta cannot fail on the fun-to-drive factor
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2011, 15:13   #10
Team-BHP Support

Has the Altis AT (7 speed) been discussed?

I'm told the Fluence is a bit underpowered which is fine in the city but might pose problems on the highway (overtaking).
Old 17th June 2011, 16:05   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Has the Altis AT (7 speed) been discussed?

I'm told the Fluence is a bit underpowered which is fine in the city but might pose problems on the highway (overtaking).
Im starting to believe diesel automatic is the way to go with the insane petrol prices these days. The altis is a safe performer and does the job in all departments but just isnt that appealing in the looks dept.

So guys i think im goin to narrow it down only to diesel automatics..

With that in mind, wont it be wise to wait till the launch of the new jetta (aug 17th)? I also wonder if the launch of the jetta would make skoda slash their prices on the laura. Im sure VW would want to price their new jetta competitively and in the process they should also make sure their low-end cousin skoda (talking about laura here) is cheaper than their models. Would like the moderators view on this.

Thanks guys for the posts.
Old 17th June 2011, 17:20   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Check with your Skoda dealer, vinj. They are heavily advertising some 10th anniversary celebration, you may get a sweet deal on the Laura even now.

@navin- Toyota seems to be missing a trick by not launching the Altis diesel in AT option. The brochures of the new Altis mention the 7-speed slushbox only on the petrol variant.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2011, 17:32   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinj14 View Post
Im starting to believe diesel automatic is the way to go with the insane petrol prices these days. The altis is a safe performer and does the job in all departments but just isnt that appealing in the looks dept.

So guys i think im goin to narrow it down only to diesel automatics..

With that in mind, wont it be wise to wait till the launch of the new jetta (aug 17th)? I also wonder if the launch of the jetta would make skoda slash their prices on the laura. Im sure VW would want to price their new jetta competitively and in the process they should also make sure their low-end cousin skoda (talking about laura here) is cheaper than their models. Would like the moderators view on this.

Thanks guys for the posts.
Keep the positive thinking on, and hope that the Jetta will come with a DSG box, and sits well under 16 lakhs. I am quite certain that the 2.0 TDI 140PS with 6-speed DSG will cost more than 16 lakhs. But it will be a masterstroke if they decide to bring the 1.6 TDI 105PS with the 7-speed DSG

Meanwhile, as Noopster mentioned, check with Skoda if they have any special deals on. Happy shopping!
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2011, 22:05   #14
BANNED

The choice of Petrol v Diesel cannot just be dictated by the need for an AT. It is true an At may be well suited for a diesel - narrow power band + Turbo lag.

I was surprised to see nobody talking about the new Toyota 7-speed (CVT based) unit in the Altis. As one who has owned ATs since 1999 I should know. The Honda is also a real beauty - same in the Civic and City Mk.III. Vigsom has an Altis AT (4-speed) and is delighted with that too. As for economy let me say my Civic AT is better than my previous car, Accent 1.5MT on the highway.
Old 17th June 2011, 22:21   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

If you considering used cars, you'll get a E280 CDI at your price range. Cracker of a car.
Features, diesel, gizmos, power, status symbol everything. And these are reliable if maintained well by the owners.
Think about it.

Last edited by manson : 6th March 2012 at 18:03.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks