Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 22nd June 2011, 14:07   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Vento TDi Highline or City V or Skoda Fabia 1.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
part of me wishes it were all-black especially in the rains!
Just on that point. A VW with all black interiors eludes class. I have seen some Golf / Jetta with all black interiors here in Singapore; it’s in a different class from its Japanese counterparts (with all black interiors)
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2011, 14:22   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00M View Post
Priorities: Good Ride Quality, Good Fit Finish, Ease of Use and Maintenance. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Your '"seemingly" first choice ANHC is a great car and now its right priced , even if you double your driving mileage it would still make a good buy ! Frankly, I have heard mostly ok things about Honda's service - people do not go gaga over it like they do for Toyota neither do they start complaining like they do for Tata, GM and Fiat so on a long term basis you would be doing great too !

IMO you should stay away from the Optra , its really not in the same class as the the ANHC and the Vento ( new Verna or the Fiesta too) - leaving aside the technicalities a product which has been pushing its sales for months only through price cuts deserves a notch or two downgrade
Changes in (relative) prices is a part of many product's life cycles. With the introduction of the Cruze, my guess is that GM had a choice of discontinuing Optra or reducing prices significantly (and in process "downgrade" some less relevant aspects). A lot of people dislike the car before they have driven it (referring to the diesel here) and live with the image it had a long time ago. As you too point out, even the ANHC has had a price cut (first time in it's Indian innings?). Don't see price cuts as a reason to rule out a vehicle.

Comments from someone who owns both the Altis and Optra here (he prefers the Optra, though to get a better perspective do read a few posts before too) :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2360351

Comments from someone who owns both the Laura and Optra here (on comfort he finds the Laura like an Autoriksha , when compared to the Optra):
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...tml#post667546 (Chevrolet Optra Magnum TCDi ... My new love ..!!)

Where the Optra lacks is in gizmos, but an ICE change is supposedly simple. The parking sensors can be dealer fitted. Parking sensors etc. too can be dealer fitted before one takes delivers.

I may be repeating here, but from MOOM's priorities above, Optra does have excellent ride quality, goof fit and finish (design may not be too modern an in your face, but the quality IS good). As for maintenance, it has an excellent rating on Tbhp and Chevy offers a 2year/50k package at about 28k.

About how it is to drive - the forum has many many posts about it.

A pity that this wonderful car is rejected without even a test drive.

PS: For the kind or running being talked about, the ANHC is what makes sense though.
Poitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2011, 14:27   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Just on that point. A VW with all black interiors eludes class. I have seen some Golf / Jetta with all black interiors here in Singapore; it’s in a different class from its Japanese counterparts (with all black interiors)
Assume you mean "exudes". You're telling me- I have seen the all-black interior on the South Africa spec Polo sedan in the Chakan factory, and it is to DIE FOR! Of course that also has a white LED display for the MID instead of the red on the (Indian) Vento. Not to mention those jaw-droppingly beautiful smoked headlamps!

Having said that, if you keep your car reasonably clean the beige interiors gve it a nice airy look and especially in our horrid summers keep the interior temperature under control.
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2011, 14:52   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Assume you mean "exudes". You're telling me- I have seen the all-black interior on the South Africa spec Polo sedan in the Chakan factory, and it is to DIE FOR! Of course that also has a white LED display for the MID instead of the red on the (Indian) Vento. Not to mention those jaw-droppingly beautiful smoked headlamps!

Having said that, if you keep your car reasonably clean the beige interiors gve it a nice airy look and especially in our horrid summers keep the interior temperature under control.
Oops… That was a big mistake. Thanks for reading it correctly

No way am I saying that beige is bad. It does give amazing sense of space, and it will be great if manufacturers start giving options to the customer to choose the interior trim.

Now going back to the original topic:
@M00M – are you looking to expand the choices, or fixed to these 3 options? And what is the timeframe you are looking at? There had been discussions in alternate threads on VW bringing their famed 1.4TSI petrol engine to India. If that is something which gets introduced in a Vento, then you have an excellent petrol option to consider.
Old 22nd June 2011, 15:13   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
@M00M – are you looking to expand the choices, or fixed to these 3 options? And what is the timeframe you are looking at? There had been discussions in alternate threads on VW bringing their famed 1.4TSI petrol engine to India. If that is something which gets introduced in a Vento, then you have an excellent petrol option to consider.
The timeframe im looking at is right now. delivery about 4 weeks for the vento tdi. When i asked about the refresh they said there is no refresh planned for now. For the Jetta was told its coming in December.
M00M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2011, 19:11   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Nil so far . First scheduled service is at 15,000 km/1 year.
Hi noopster,

I think the 15,000 Kms service interval is way too long considering the turbo charger in the car. The turbo's life depends on the engine oil. I will suggest you to consult this with other fellow Vento owners and experts on whether one should wait for 15,000 km interval or change engine oil much earlier say 10,000 KMs. It will be good for both engine and the turbo. I guess VW has stretched the service interval for marketing purposes.

EDIT- Oh I just got to know that you own a petrol, so that should not be a problem for you but a point to ponder for TDi owners

Last edited by bluevolt : 22nd June 2011 at 19:15.
bluevolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2011, 23:52   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Hi noopster,

I think the 15,000 Kms service interval is way too long considering the turbo charger in the car. The turbo's life depends on the engine oil.

I guess VW has stretched the service interval for marketing purposes.
Service interval is not connected with the oil change , TDi engines are tuned to be lube thirsty for the first 12-15K so would require oil check every 5K apprx ( one can wait for the warning light to come on )

Well the sales guys in the showrooms don't know any marketing at all ( leave alone projecting the 15K service interval ), still the car is rocking the charts - its truly money saved as compared to the quarterly service intervals of the Honda. Heck i saw people being annoyed that there are "no free services"
souravc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2011, 00:08   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
, TDi engines are tuned to be lube thirsty for the first 12-15K so would require oil check every 5K apprx ( one can wait for the warning light to come on )
I read about this here on team-bhp only and that too posted by GTO, so thought of sharing with Vento owners.

Quote:
Service interval is not connected with the oil change its truly money saved as compared to the quarterly service intervals of the Honda. Heck i saw people being annoyed that there are "no free services"
Even Honda's so called quarterly inspection is not related to engine oil change. Engine oil has to be replaced only after 5000 KMs/six months.
bluevolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2011, 00:39   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
I read about this here on team-bhp only and that too posted by GTO, so thought of sharing with Vento owners.

Even Honda's so called quarterly inspection is not related to engine oil change. Engine oil has to be replaced only after 5000 KMs/six months.
Well I too got to know from this forum itself that VW TDi engines are tuned to be lube thirsty for the initial period of around 12-15K on the odo .

ANHC has quarterly service intervals and half yearly oil changes while Vento has annual service intervals ( or 15K whichever is earlier) and oil top up every 5K km apprx (same as that of ANHC I noticed now ! ) for the first year post which the intervals increase - I don't remember exactly by how much but understand that its safe to play by the warning lights which pop up once the levels are low but not too low
souravc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2011, 08:05   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The timeframe im looking at is right now. delivery about 4 weeks for the vento tdi. When i asked about the refresh they said there is no refresh planned for now. For the Jetta was told its coming in December.
Dealers normally have very less information about possible updates and new models (or at least they pretend like that).

Anyway, if you need a car immediately, there is nothing much to debate about. Identify if you need a petrol or diesel, and then choose between the City and Vento accordingly. All the best!
Old 24th June 2011, 23:26   #41
BHPian

Guys today i test drove the Hyundai Verna Petrol since they dint have the Diesel for a test drive. Car seemed very nice but rear seat was very very low. I felt as if i was sitting inches above the road and felt some bumps. Not a good feeling. Diesel waiting list for 6 months according to HMIL.

Had a third test drive of the Vento TDi. This is the first test drive i actually liked. The car was the same from before but recently serviced and car felt energetic. Previous times it was just rubbish. Added to my confusion.

The City is on hold as want to find out if i can get a Diesel all features included car.

Thinking if i should check out the Cruze Diesel, Altis Diesel and the Laura Diesel. Laura Diesel i think is the best car but im scared of horrendous Skoda costs and also the fact that if my parents take it on the highway and it stops due to parts malfunction i wouldnt like that one bit. But i still love the Laura. I thought it was special. Amazingly linear power up the chain and good ride, comfort and mileage and handling. Brilliant. Skoda do something about your service and reliability please.

Any suggestions guys ? The Vento guy told me to wait for the Jetta but he said itll come in November.

Last edited by M00M : 24th June 2011 at 23:33.
Old 25th June 2011, 11:29   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thinking if i should check out the Cruze Diesel, Altis Diesel and the Laura Diesel. Laura Diesel i think is the best car but im scared of horrendous Skoda costs and also the fact that if my parents take it on the highway and it stops due to parts malfunction i wouldnt like that one bit. But i still love the Laura. I thought it was special. Amazingly linear power up the chain and good ride, comfort and mileage and handling. Brilliant. Skoda do something about your service and reliability please.

Any suggestions guys ? The Vento guy told me to wait for the Jetta but he said itll come in November.
Looks like you're looking into a segment above from the names listed in your OP.
If you need something 'now', then the Jetta is definitely off the list. On a reliability front the Altis diesel will make sense, but that’s pretty much about it. If you really liked the Laura, why not go for it. And they do offer 4 years of Skoda Shield plan as well. There are some good ownership reviews in T-bhp (e.g.; anshuman’s Laura review).
Old 6th July 2011, 23:25   #43
BHPian

Note from Mod : We'll keep this thread open, as someone else who is considering the same cars might want to continue the discussion. Thanks

@ Mods: please close this thread as i have finalized the car - Honda City. Thanks to everyone for their help. Will post a thread after i receive it.

Last edited by GTO : 8th July 2011 at 13:45. Reason: See Mod Note in your post
Old 11th October 2011, 18:09   #44
BHPian

Default City to Vento - Good switch?

For someone who wants the same feeling of the car but while shifting from the Honda City is Vento a good choice?

Considering the following.

On Spec to Spec comparison expect for the interior space there is not big difference now between them. Of course its a Petrol to Diesel shift (so that is out of the comparison).

All that the city has the City has the Vento has. All that the city misses the Vento also misses like

1. Separate dual beam head lamps
2. Rear disc brakes
3. Sun/Moon roof
4. 6 th Gear
5. Dead pedal
6. Rear window draw able shade (like the Linea)

The Vento adds a few things that the City misses

1. A diesel option
2. Ground Clearance
3. Climate Control
4. In the website USB in and Steering mounted audio controls are mentioned in the Highline (it was there before, I have not checked it physically in showroom, but I guess the site will not be wrong)
5. Reach enabled steering

Where the City is different is

1. The interior space
2. Cup holders in the Rear seat arm rest

But then are these deal breakers?

Drive dynamics I found them to be the same, vento is a couple of seconds slower, but better at handling so there they are neck to neck. The boot in the vento is about 20 liters less than the City, but you will not notice it for 99% of usages

So in the end is a City to Vento doable?
man_and_machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2011, 18:28   #45

Default Re: City to Vento - Good switch?

HI,

I think it would immensely help if you could let us know WHY are you planning to shift?

my assumption is the fuel price disparity b/w petrol and diesel.

Financially, Please remember, the resale that you would get might be lower given the current scenario.
The price of diesel is an external factor that could be hiked, depends on India govt.

If you have made up the mind for a diesel, then why don't you TD the Verna, and the Linea before your decide.

I have known folks who have sold VW due to its incessant maintenance issues and moved to Honda or Toyota. Just my 2 cents.
boyddicruz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote