Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 11th October 2011, 18:33   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: City to Vento - Good switch?

No

1) looks like service is costly for Vento
2) Seat comfort at rear is better for City
3) City looks more wow and not a Brio-sedan
4) Better pricing now.

For diesel, Vento!
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2011, 18:39   #47
Senior - BHPian

I personally would never switch from one car to another which belongs to same segment. It can be City to Cruze, City to Laura, and City to etecetera.

Both cars have their pros and cons which are discussed in various forums and threads.

PS - Hope this thread doesn't turns out to be Vento versus City thread (Mods know what I mean).
bluevolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2011, 18:45   #48
Team-BHP Support

If you already own a current-gen Honda City, shifting to a Vento now makes no sense at all. You will pay more for the TDI plus lose on depreciation for the City. As you say, the incremental value is not much, plus the iffy after-sales. Not to mention the wait.

By the way, is this a hypothetical question or are you actually contemplating switching?
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2011, 18:48   #49
BHPian

The only reason to shift would be the Diesel Option. Else it makes no sense!
mohandasnikhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2011, 18:56   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Why do you want to shift? How old is your City?

Financially, I don't think the shift makes any sense at all.

The non-technical positives of City :

1) Honda badge - reliable, decently priced spares, good A.S.S
2) Space
3) Looks (subjective though)

The non-technical positives of Vento :

1) Diesel

Even if you were to switch to diesel, it would take a long time for the "break-even".

There's no point going across cars in the same segment if the existing car is not old.
libranof1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2011, 19:02   #51
Senior - BHPian

This would be my only reason as well - i would personally look at a higher segment and the choice of cars available there not in the same one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohandasnikhil View Post
The only reason to shift would be the Diesel Option. Else it makes no sense!

Last edited by puchoo : 11th October 2011 at 19:02. Reason: typo
puchoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2011, 20:56   #52
BHPian

Even the petrol to diesel cost differential may not justify you trading for a vento if your city is from 2011. You have not mentioned which gen is your city, if it is the current i-Vtec version then the car is supremely classy & most of the features that you are missing in that car can be installed after market except the changes to the engine or brakes.

A city is a brand in itself i would need trade for a vento !
A well driven NHC gives 14-15 Kmpl in city & Vento gives about 13-14 Kmpl, considering the diesel price difference the vento still wins but, then the cost difference & depreciation in this transaction would nullify this difference.
90BHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2011, 21:22   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyddicruz View Post
HI,

I think it would immensely help if you could let us know WHY are you planning to shift?

my assumption is the fuel price disparity b/w petrol and diesel.

Financially, Please remember, the resale that you would get might be lower given the current scenario.
The price of diesel is an external factor that could be hiked, depends on India govt.

If you have made up the mind for a diesel, then why don't you TD the Verna, and the Linea before your decide.

I have known folks who have sold VW due to its incessant maintenance issues and moved to Honda or Toyota. Just my 2 cents.

My driving pattern has changed and the imminent move to Diesel is the need. I have done the TD of all cars expect the Cruze.

Verna is ruled out due to the following reasons

1. I have 70% highway drives and speeds close to or above 120. The Verna is just of question here.
2. I need an immediate replace and can't wait 8 months for the car
3. 50% usage will be 4 people and lesser said about the rear seat comfort of the Verna the better

The Linea is out for the obvious reasons.

1. FIAT in India, I am not confident of the way the future will shape up
2. ***
3. Most important the Linea does not suit any of my needs, The cabin space is suited
4. The engine is not to my liking (too less power for the highways)
5. I have and a Indica before and I am do want to visit the TATA station even for a FIAT

So I am only left with the Vento. I had considered the Optra but ruled it out after research on Team-bhp. Also it a car that is at the end of life.

I am considering the Laura or the Corolla D-4D, but that needs some more thought.
man_and_machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2011, 21:23   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
If you already own a current-gen Honda City, shifting to a Vento now makes no sense at all. You will pay more for the TDI plus lose on depreciation for the City. As you say, the incremental value is not much, plus the iffy after-sales. Not to mention the wait.

By the way, is this a hypothetical question or are you actually contemplating switching?
This is for real!
Old 11th October 2011, 21:27   #55
BHPian

The real question still has not been answered- which generation of City do you have? If it is an older generation then latest City would make an excellent choice.
DevilsCry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2011, 21:28   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_and_machine View Post
1. I have 70% highway drives and speeds close to or above 120.
Which gen. City do you have? Doesn't the City return a particularly FE on highway runs? Is the pinch that bad that you need to switch?

Do consider the time the diesel will offset the hit from the sale + cost of new car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_and_machine View Post
Corolla D-4D, but that needs some more thought.
Corolla D-4D is 1.4l, right? Would that be to your liking considering your highway, ~120 km/hr drives - esp. with 4 people around?

I'm just throwing options - Fiesta Classic/SX4 maybe?

Pondering aloud - MAN! The kinda business Honda is business Honda is missing out on due to lack of diesel.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 11th October 2011 at 21:31.
libranof1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2011, 21:30   #57
BHPian

Some of us recently bought highline diesel. It comes with steering mounted controls and USB. Interior surveillance is taken off. This is with respect to the query you had asked if the website is true.
prabhuferrari is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2011, 21:41   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90BHP View Post
Even the petrol to diesel cost differential may not justify you trading for a vento if your city is from 2011. You have not mentioned which gen is your city, if it is the current i-Vtec version then the car is supremely classy & most of the features that you are missing in that car can be installed after market except the changes to the engine or brakes.

A city is a brand in itself i would need trade for a vento !
A well driven NHC gives 14-15 Kmpl in city & Vento gives about 13-14 Kmpl, considering the diesel price difference the vento still wins but, then the cost difference & depreciation in this transaction would nullify this difference.
The running cost of City is 6 Rs/Km and Vento 3.25. So for a 3000 Km/month usage the price diff is close to 8000 Rs. On the Highways My city's running cost is 5 Rs While for the vento its around 2.5 Rs (not direct knowledge but known from source who use it).

There is a huge diff.

I own the New City i-vtec S model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
Some of us recently bought highline diesel. It comes with steering mounted controls and USB. Interior surveillance is taken off. This is with respect to the query you had asked if the website is true.
Great. so that is one point more in common.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post
The real question still has not been answered- which generation of City do you have? If it is an older generation then latest City would make an excellent choice.
The new Honda City S i-vtec.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 12th October 2011 at 14:08. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts. Please use the Multiu-Quote feature to reply to more than one post at a time.
Old 11th October 2011, 21:50   #59
BHPian

Vento is like a diesel alternative to City. You lose some features, you gain some. Overall, it is neither upgrade nor downgrade.

If diesel is really that required and you don't want to go a segment higher then looking at your requirements, Vento suits you best.

Last edited by DevilsCry : 11th October 2011 at 21:51. Reason: correction of punctuation
DevilsCry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2011, 22:43   #60
BHPian

Vento is a good vehicle IMO. And its diesel Engine is suited for highway cruising.
If you are not averse to Skoda, do check out the Skoda Rapid. As far as I have heard, it has much better back seat comfort than the Vento. And hopefully it will be cheaper than Vento.
himavanth_m is offline   Reply With Quote