Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 21st September 2014, 20:59   #106
BHPian

Default Re: Buying a used car dilemma...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
What is your budget and how long do you plan to keep the car?
That ought to matter to your buying decision.
Options 1-4 are great drives but...
will they retain their value, and if they are on the brink - they can become money pits.
Option 5 is a safer bet. But depends on the piece.
I was planning to keep the car in ship shape whatever it is. I want the Skoda 1.8t so so badly. But considering the ownership costs and the depreciation that is almost nuked. I rather stay away and wait for something better to come by some day.

In the mean while, I had a chance to test drive a 1.2 liter Fiat Palio NV. It was owned by a very decent man and has done a mere 59k on the odometer. I liked the car very much as he has maintained it well although it shows its age here and there. I haven't confirmed anything with him and he was kind enough to give me some time to think over it. I value your point about money pits and that is the only thing that is keeping me away from the Skoda That turbo is really really addictive.
ron_9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2014, 21:14   #107
BHPian

Default Re: Offbeat Buy - Used car for <2 lakh rupees

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
We had a similar budget as yours when we got the Wagonr last year. Only difference was we needed a tall boy hatch/ sedan as this was supposed to be the family car here.
Anyway the cars you have listed have high ODO readings. I suggest you stay away from them. I had kept the following things in mind-

1. The odo should read less than 55k kms and obviously either you look at any car from a certified used car dealer or an individuals car with its service history. Usually cars with a higher odo but with a service history are fine too. Avoid second owner cars.

2. Cars like Swift are best avoided as they have a ridiculous asking price In the used market. I suggest you have a look at cars like the Honda city, Esteem, Accent( if you are fine with hyundai's then even used Elantra's, Getz), Lancer and the Jazz. Avoid German/ American used petrols. Their upkeep will cost you a bomb.

3. This budget is actually good for alto's, santro's & wagonr's, but the bigger well maintained used cars do come up for sale so keep an eye on the market. If you have a cartrade.com/ true value dealer around your place, then do visit them.

Do keep atleast 40-50k aside to get to some minor issues sorted + a complete service. I am sure you will find a good used car with this budget. All the best 👍

Asit
@Asit, the Skoda is ruled out. Most of my driving is mostly for long distances or through the ring road, for that I am like "do I need a hatchback for that" The only hatchback I would really want to consider is the Fiat Palio 1.6 but I am not sure how easy it is to live with since it is out of production. But what a car to drive!! That is how you should make hatchbacks. Well the hunt is still on.
Old 21st September 2014, 21:19   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron_9191 View Post
@Asit, the Skoda is ruled out. Most of my driving is mostly for long distances or through the ring road, for that I am like "do I need a hatchback for that" The only hatchback I would really want to consider is the Fiat Palio 1.6 but I am not sure how easy it is to live with since it is out of production. But what a car to drive!! That is how you should make hatchbacks. Well the hunt is still on.

If you really want a hot hatch, then you can also have a look at the polo 1.6. Frankly speaking it won't be very easy to live with a discontinued Fiat. The after sales is horrible with existing cars so it will be very difficult with a discontinued car. If the Skoda After sales service in your area is good then the Fabia 1.6 should be a good option too. You can find both polo/ Fabia 1.6 under 3.5 lakhs.
All the best 👍

Asit
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2014, 21:25   #109
BHPian

Default Re: Offbeat Buy - Used car for <2 lakh rupees

I am really overwhelmed by the amount of opinions everyone's shared. Thanks to each and everyone of you. I still haven't finalized. But I have to say a Santro, Wagon R and an Alto is out of the question, frankly because I want a car with some amount of space, and this may be that I have been with my Baleno for too long. I would have paid the tax in KA but considering the fact my Baleno is not worth that much even if I had to sell it doesn't make much sense. Not only that I cannot let go of my Baleno just because some jokers have started to collect a ridiculous tax. Anyways still hunting.....
Old 13th March 2015, 14:08   #110
Senior - BHPian

Default Fun To Drive Car in Budget- What are my options!

Its been a while since my posted here, which was mostly due to the fact that my car usage or travelling had reduced considerably in the last 3.5 years. Furthermore due to job change et al, I hardly had any time left to breathe. While the situation regarding work hasn't altered much, there have been other changes though. I recently moved to Bangalore from Hyderabad and preparation of that move, bought a bike. The Getaway was sold off too as I felt that Bangalore wouldn't be able to handle the beast and I'll be spending majority of my time inside the car waiting in the jam.

So now I have a KTM Duke 390 that is my daily ride from home to office and any other wanderings. While I'm generally loath to the idea of getting a car because of the Bangalore traffic, I also realise they are a necessity sometimes. Especially once the rains start.

All those who have had a chance to read my Getaway ownership thread or the thread containing the deliberation about buying it, will realise that I love my cars and I don't shy away from taking the contrarian view. So here are my requirements:
  1. Will be driven once a week mostly. Monthly usage not more than 250-300kms
  2. Open between sedan and hatch
  3. Should be easy to drive in the city.
  4. Should be fun to drive
  5. Used car upto 10 yrs old.
  6. Preferably Petrol but open to Diesel too if I get something good within the budget.
  7. Budget not more than 1.5L
Based on my experience, I zeroed on the following:
  1. Fiat Palio 1.2/1.6
  2. Hyundai Elantra
  3. Suzuki Baleno
Folks, opinions and suggestions welcome!
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2015, 14:19   #111
BHPian

Default Re: Fun To Drive Car in Budget- What are my options!

You forgot Ford Ikon 1.6 nxt with rocam engine.
brraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2015, 14:22   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
[*]Budget not more than 1.5L[/list]Based on my experience, I zeroed on the following:
  1. Fiat Palio 1.2/1.6
  2. Hyundai Elantra
  3. Suzuki Baleno
Folks, opinions and suggestions welcome!
Palio 1.6, preferably pre-Stile version.

Ford Ikon or Fiesta (classic) 1.6 are some others that come to mind. If you don't need the space, then Nano Twist is also a good option.

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2015, 14:24   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
then Nano Twist is also a good option.
I had the Nano for almost 2 Yrs. While it is a good city car, how eggjactly is it a FTD car?

Last edited by noopster : 13th March 2015 at 15:29. Reason: Smiley overdose! :)
MileCruncher is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2015, 14:32   #114
BHPian

How about a Maruti Esteem? Very reliable, spares can still be sourced, fuel efficient and most of all really fun to drive.
caged_nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2015, 14:42   #115
Senior - BHPian

I feel that it would have been better had you held on to your Mahindra. That is exactly what you need for Bangalore speed breaker roads.

From your list, the most reliable option will be the Suzuki.

Fiat's 1.2 Palio is not fun to drive in any sense of it. Yes; it does sort of translate to being a fun car after you get it past the ton. The 1.6 cars are over priced and might be very old samples. Worth taking a look only if there are single owner cars and that is rare. Heavy controls are to be noted when buying a Fiat.

You might want to look at used Alto K10's. Will require a bump in budget.

Elantra's are rare to come by.

1.6l single owner Ford Ikon's. Just make sure the brakes work.
sandeepmohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2015, 15:00   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
So here are my requirements:
[*]Will be driven once a week mostly. Monthly usage not more than 250-300kms[*]Open between sedan and hatch[*]Should be easy to drive in the city.[*]Should be fun to drive[*]Used car upto 10 yrs old.[*]Preferably Petrol but open to Diesel too if I get something good within the budget.[*]Budget not more than 1.5L Based on my experience
Looking at your requirements along with the budget, I would say Alto K10. Not sure if you'd get a good pre-owned Swift.
a4anurag is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2015, 15:25   #117
Senior - BHPian

I have been thinking of the jelly bean Zen as well. As regards to Alto K10- Naah! Might as well look at Brio then. But then these are way over my budget.

Considering the running I think I want to keep it within 1.5L .
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2015, 15:38   #118
Senior - BHPian

A FTD car in a budget - here is what I am thinking off:
- Mitsubishi Lancer: Known for its reliability, fun to drive nature. Can be easily modified too. However spares and support are a question mark.
- OHC 1.5: Again - known for its reliability, fun to drive nature. Can be easily modified too. However spares are a question mark.
- Maruti Baleno - Again perfect for your needs, but spares and costs?
- Hyundai Getz 1.3 - you would have to trade in fun to drive and performance a little, but you do get a very competent overall package!

If you can stretch it a bit (say INR2.5L) - you could find a good condition Swift, or even the ultra-rare well maintained Octavia vRS! My pick in the INR 2.5L would be the Fiesta 1.6 if you are able to find one, keeping in mind reliability, service & support, and fun to drive nature. Would complement the KTM very well!

Last edited by lamborghini : 13th March 2015 at 15:41.
lamborghini is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2015, 17:28   #119
BHPian

Add OHC Vtec in your list. Baleno spares are not an issue, I have a 10 year old one, LXi, and still going strong.
me_sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2015, 18:22   #120
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest the Palio 1.6 for your use, provided you have access to a decent mechanic who knows his fiats.

I've been through the Vtec/ Zen steel/ Baleno brigade, but none of these have given the excitement that a well tuned S10 gives.

The pre stile cars are cheaper, but very hard to find in good condition. You will find MINT condition Stile variants, but accident repair parts are more expensive.

The stile is less aggressive and more livable with on a daily basis than the S10.

Second option would be a City Type 2 1.5 or Vtec

I'm just posting my views on each car, based on MY Personal Ownership/ Long term usage. Please feel free to accept or reject these points.

Vtec-

+ve's

*Looks upto date still
*Huge aftermarket Support
*Honda A.S.S
*Acceleration
*Decent FE

-ve's
*Boat Like Handling
*Avg Steering feel
*Avg Brakes
*Entry/Exit a pain due to very low height and seats

Zen 2 door

+ve's

*Cute and tiny dimensions
*Breeze to drive around in city
*Novelty factor of Two Door
*Maruti service. Anywhere, anytime.

-ve's
*Power- or the lack of it. I really dont get the point of why people see this engine as Hot Hatch material. It is not. Any serious overtaking will have you searching for the AC(nos) button.

* Brakes- Very very bad, both feel and fade.
*Rattles and squeaks galore
* 2 door version trims, beadings and rear side window not available.

Palio S10

+ve's

*Limited Edition appeal
*Best Steering feel and handling by a huge margin.
*Delightful close ratio Gearbox
*Still looks Chic in the Canary yellow colour and bodykit
*Very powerful engine with good usable power low down and mid range, unlike the Honda where you have to rev it to glory.
*Extremely solid build. (insert random comment about tank like build )
*Spacious 5 seater with comfortable seats
*Possibly the last big engined petrol hatch.
*Available for good prices.
*All parts available online, might have to wait a bit for delivery though.

-ve's
*In one word- FIAT. Service/ Support etc is close to nil.You need to have access to an good independent mechanic who knows the Palio in depth.
*Brakes- Woefully inadequate for the kind of power it makes. But a simple swap to advy rotor and calipers solves that issue.
*Not as bulletproof as jap cars.
*Need to be actively involved in ownership. Not unlike an enfield.
*Decemt FE if driven well, but most often that wont happen. So expect low double digits or high single digit numbers.

Palio Stile

+ve's

*Better interiors compared to the gtx (if beige is your thing)
*You can get 2008-2011 cars for your money compared to the others which will all be close to 13 years old.

-ve's
*Accident damage parts are very expensive. One headlight is 10k
*Not as raw as the s10

Baleno

+ve's
*Atrocious resale. Nice 2005 VXI's with climate control go for 120-130 max.
*Superb engine and gearbox
*Better handling and brakes compared to the City
*Brilliant AC

-ve's
*Unbearably high parts costs. at least 3 people i know found it cheaper to pick up another running Baleno, strip it for parts and sll whatever is left, compared to buying parts separately, after accidents etc
*Non availability of many parts
*FE Worst amongst the group.
*Looks- Subjective, but personally i don't like it much. A feminine lookingf car in a masculine segment.

Hope it helps!
JayD is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote