Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 28th August 2012, 10:25   #136
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Skoda Laura DSG CR 140 - Ownership Experience. UPDATE: 30,000kms Report Pg.23

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.s.r View Post
After going through your ownership review, i am seriously considering Laura as my next upgrade.
Although new one is currently out of my budget here in Delhi, which is 17 lakh plus.
I am looking for MT Ambiante CR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezrskb View Post
I have ordered an Elegance MT and now thinking hard whether to go for AT as I can afford it and dealer too said I have an option to change my choice. Now after lot of consideration, I had ordered MT.
I do hope you both realise that the Laura MT though it drives on the same 2.0 CRDi engine is actually tuned to deliver only 110 BHP? The DSG AT delivers 140. It is a significant reduction of power. You can get almost the same output from a Vento TDI.

Quote:
Main issue for me was reliability.

After nearly ordering an AT, I happened to bump into manson's thread on his DSG failing in middle of nowhere and I jumped the fence to MT side. Now again there is a tug of war between heart and mind. Mind says MT - bit more reliable than AT.
It's a gamble. Though truth be told, Manson's case of his 6-speed DSG failing while unfortunate is not typical. Most cases of DSG failure have been reported on the 7-speed box that power the TSI petrol Skoda Superbs. THat is definitely a problematic box.

Quote:
Heart says so much comfort and a responsive DSG AT. I did test drive a HL Volkswagen Jetta DSG and liked the feel of resting my left leg and left hand too. Your DSG ownership was totally troublefree till now?
Manson's Laura was 2011. So I dont think they have made any fresh changes to raise the reliability right?
If Jetta is on your consideration set, I would recommend getting a manual Jetta that is tuned to the same 140 BHP as the DSG Laura. It is available across all variants including the Highline (ajmat has one).

Last edited by noopster : 28th August 2012 at 15:38.
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2012, 10:43   #137
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Skoda Laura DSG CR 140 - Ownership Experience. UPDATE: 30,000kms Report Pg.23

Quote:
1. What important things i should check or keep in mind while doing TD of used laura.
Delhi has a lot of pre owned options and the basic checks that are advisable are as under:

1. Get the car's service history very thoroughly checked from any Skoda dealer.
2. The car is now more than 2 years old, see if the first owner had opted for the Skoda shield, if yes, it has 2 more years of warranty on it, a good thing, else talk to a Skoda dealer and see if you can purchase it before the car is transferred to your name. I know for a fact that a second owner cannot purchase the extended warranty.
3. Check for signs of black smoke on acceleration on a warm engine.
4. Check for oddities like 2 tires being replaced, worn out stalks and switches, etc.
5. Take the car to a Skoda ASC and have it inspected thoroughly, especially for underbody hits, suspension condition, and original wiring harness condition.
6. Check for accident repairs/body parts replacements and DO NOT turn a blind eye to it if the insurance has the NCB intact. Remember that a person who is smart/clever/cunning and plans to sell the car post the accident will NOT get his accident repair done at the ASC since it will show on the history and will not claim insurance as well.

That is pretty much it.

Last edited by n.devdath : 28th August 2012 at 10:46.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2012, 11:44   #138
BHPian

Thanks for the input.
Yes. I know that Laura MT counterpart is bit underpowered compared to AT. But willing to live with it. I think somebody said there is one more instance of 6speed DSG failure in this forum. Anyway the car is on its way and will get it in 2days. So I am not worrying anymore about shortcomings of MT version.

Also noopster,
I read that in China both the 6speed and 7speed DSG boxes have been given increased EW. Shows that there may be persisting issues with 6speed DQ250 box as well. But are these same ones which we get here or different ones?

Last edited by dezrskb : 28th August 2012 at 12:11.
dezrskb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2012, 12:42   #139
Team-BHP Support

^^ Same ones. Anshuman is the expert though- you will need to wait to him to return from Ladakh. Or hope he gets 3G out there

Actually the 110BHP Laura is not a bad car at all, member Swanand Inamdar has one and I have driven it- doesn't feel underpowered. But comparing with the 140 BHP DSG variant on one hand and the (cheaper) Vento TDI on the other, you will probably be better off with either of those- that was my point!
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2012, 13:37   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster
^^ But comparing with the 140 BHP DSG variant on one hand and the (cheaper) Vento
Your point is well taken. But opting for a D segment, Vento was not in my list, and DSG Laura was ruled out after many days of thinking and re-thinking and Altis not offering better drive/engine and Jetta felt overpriced. Laura MT was next choice and after seeing some BHPians have opted for and are happy, I felt I can live with it. And yes MT Laura test drive too had very positive impression. I dont think iI will miss Elantra much after reading reviews.
Old 28th August 2012, 13:59   #141
Senior - BHPian

@dezrskb

In truth we will only hear about failures for they are tyring to find an answer. For many other owners with no DSG failures we never hear from them.

The percentage of failure could be trivial compared to similar problems Tata, Maruthi or other japanese companies face. Because of the proportion of the problem we may never hear about them.

I have seen Laura AT running fine for over 6 years now. And MT clutch being worn out in 3 months(Blame the half clutch driving i say).

If you get a lemon there is nothing anyone can do. And you can get a lemon anywhere.

Between AT and MT - You have to shell 1L more while you get one of the best AT box available in the world.

Service - Is touch and go. Works for some and not for others.

4 year shied - Your AT box is completely covered for these 4 years so its definitely trouble free 4 years.

The power difference is not really physically felt between MT and AT. I felt MT had more surge than the AT but thats how well refined the engine and Transmission is in Laura.

MT is not convenient if you are doing a lot of city runs. AT is hassle free while driving and for folks like me who hate giving our cars to others to drive, AT is better for even chauffeur driven is tension free. (I dont even let a valet drive my MT jetta anyday. I hate anyone driving my MT. I am perfectly fine with a AT)
VW2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2012, 14:17   #142
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezrskb View Post
But opting for a D segment, Vento was not in my list, and DSG Laura was ruled out after many days of thinking and re-thinking and Altis not offering better drive/engine and Jetta felt overpriced. Laura MT was next choice and after seeing some BHPians have opted for and are happy, I felt I can live with it. And yes MT Laura test drive too had very positive impression. I dont think iI will miss Elantra much after reading reviews.
Your dilemma is understandable, but since you are just a couple of days away from taking the delivery of the new car, I suggest leaving the doubts and stick to the chosen option. I mention this because, I can see the same question on MT v/s AT in various threads related to Skoda/VW.

Last edited by noopster : 28th August 2012 at 15:39. Reason: Posts moved- thanks!
vb-san is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2012, 14:35   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010
@dezrskb

In truth we will only hear about failures for they are tyring to find an answer. For many other owners with no DSG failures we never hear from them.

The percentage of failure could be trivial compared to similar problems Tata, Maruthi or other japanese companies face. Because of the proportion of the problem we may never hear about them.

I have seen Laura AT running fine for over 6 years now. And MT clutch being worn out in 3 months(Blame the half clutch driving i say).

If you get a lemon there is nothing anyone can do. And you can get a lemon anywhere.

Between AT and MT - You have to shell 1L more while you get one of the best AT box available in the world.

Service - Is touch and go. Works for some and not for others.

4 year shied - Your AT box is completely covered for these 4 years so its definitely trouble free 4 years.
Thanks VW2010 for the input.
You are right reg a lemon. I can't do anything about it.
My car was always exclusively driven by me only. So will be this too
I also agree that this AT is best of all those there
If I don't have bumper to bumper traffic ,am comfortable with MT, and not very aggressive driver to miss those extra 30 horses, do I miss a lot? Now had no clutch replacement in both my previous petrol / current diesel over last 1.2L kms in total. But you are right reg comfort in bumper to bumper traffic. Also may be in very long drives, left leg gets good rest.
Gist of all the research over net and thinking hard was that
1. DSG AT though very good, is still slightly less reliable than correctly driven MT
2. with present and predicted increase in traffic in next few years on way to my current workplace (1.5kms) I won't miss AT much
3. Power of 110bhp MT is sufficient for me, quick enough too,
4. Will save a lac
5. Will keep the car for at least 5 yrs., EW ends at 4, expectedly problems are more with age

I know my logic is different when you view it through somebody's eyes who is happy with DSG AT. But then doesn't it take all sorts to make a world?
Old 28th August 2012, 14:41   #144
BHPian

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Post Deleted. Typing a message which is not a value-addition to the topic being discussed, or is just entirely irrelevant is considered as “Spam” on this community. Spamming is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further, and to prevent your account from being permanently disabled.

Last edited by noopster : 28th August 2012 at 14:54.
Old 1st September 2012, 12:27   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Delhi has a lot of pre owned options and the basic checks that are advisable are as under:
Thanks for the detailed information.
What i have realised that buying a used car is far more difficult.
One can easily get cheated.
h.s.r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2012, 14:42   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the detailed information.
What i have realised that buying a used car is far more difficult.
One can easily get cheated.
Not really Mr. Raina if you know the basics of the car and the owner or a trustworthy pre owned dealer.

In case you are serious about a pre-owned Laura, send me a PM and I will put you through to a pre owned dealer I ve known for the past 7 years now and have had quite a few friends buy cars from him in the NCR.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2012, 20:40   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Not really Mr. Raina if you know the basics of the car and the owner or a trustworthy pre owned dealer.

In case you are serious about a pre-owned Laura, send me a PM and I will put you through to a pre owned dealer I ve known for the past 7 years now and have had quite a few friends buy cars from him in the NCR.
There is a used Laura of 2007 make 1.9PD Manual with 80K KM done single owner. The asking price is 8.15Lakhs. What do you think? Is it a good price? It looks like a direct selling. What are the immediate spending that I should foresee in such a car? Like clutch replacement or something which will cost a bomb. Should I refrain from 80K KM samples and wait for say 40K KMs models?
alexanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2012, 23:56   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexanish View Post
There is a used Laura of 2007 make 1.9PD Manual with 80K KM done single owner. The asking price is 8.15Lakhs.
The price seems to be on the higher side, slightly but can you tell me which variant this is? Also, the 80K km service on the Laura is an expensive one costing around 40k INR. Has this been done? Does the car have a clean service history?
Let us have some more details like the ones asked above and it would be easier to conclude.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2012, 11:16   #149
BHPian

Default Re: The ever-ELUSIVE "perfect car" for 10 - 14 lakh rupees!

The car in question is an Ambient variant. I don't think the 80K service is done. The seller claims it has clean service history. Its a single owner car so I believe that may be true.
alexanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2014, 00:17   #150
BHPian

Default Re: Toyota Corolla Altis (1.4 D-4D) Diesel : Test Drive & Review

I have taken test drive of the 1.8VAT petrol engine and really liked the performance but now confused about skoda octavia or the new altis. I have heard that Ass is a big issue with Skoda but on reading reviews off late I have found that a lot of customers are facing issue with Toyota as well. I am driving Optra Magnum purchased in 2009 and have never faced an issue with the ASS of Chevy. I tried the Cruze but to me it is a over hyped car. On second thoughts the optra is a much better car than the current Cruze. Now for the big question altis vs octavia? Can anyone pls help. I am only looking at AT models.
gmalik30 is offline   Reply With Quote