Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2011, 21:15   #61
BHPian
 
Poitive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: 3rdRockFmTheSun
Posts: 850
Thanked: 280 Times
Default Re: ANHV vs Corolla Altis

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
I have to hand it to you. In spite of being in love with the Optra, you are not reluctant to share these informations as well.
I may seem like an Optra Salesman on the forum, but I really am not!!!!

I just want people to feel this car. To TD this car, as it was a huge revelation for me. It wasn't even considered for purchases in the extended family, as one usually doesn't even remember this car. Am not blinded by my love for this car!

Thanks for the appreciation Oxyzen. You too have come across as a helpful and unbiased and reasonable person in our interactions on the forum.

Edit: Thanks for your inputs Oxyzen. They make me lesser apprehensive in going ahead with the Optra.

Last edited by Poitive : 13th July 2011 at 21:18.
Poitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2011, 22:52   #62
Distinguished - BHPian
 
drmohitg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 4,479
Thanked: 3,624 Times
Default Re: ANHV vs Corolla Altis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
I may seem like an Optra Salesman on the forum, but I really am not!!!!

I just want people to feel this car. To TD this car, as it was a huge revelation for me. It wasn't even considered for purchases in the extended family, as one usually doesn't even remember this car. Am not blinded by my love for this car!

Thanks for the appreciation Oxyzen. You too have come across as a helpful and unbiased and reasonable person in our interactions on the forum.

Edit: Thanks for your inputs Oxyzen. They make me lesser apprehensive in going ahead with the Optra.
I just cant stop smiling reading yours and oxyzen's posts.
Well I went through that link and it surely looks like a case of a lemon being delivered. But dont worry. I guess its a one off incident and I will still go and check out the car.
I remember one thread sometime back where one member had problems with his brand new Altis. A Toyota Lemon most probably.

Just praying to god reading all these incidents that I dont land up buying a Fruit from whichever company we finally give our money too!
drmohitg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2011, 08:56   #63
BHPian
 
charthom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Cochin
Posts: 652
Thanked: 262 Times
Default Re: ANHV vs Corolla Altis

Guys,

sreejinair's experiences have been shockingHope you all have read his posts. I only wish it is a rare happening.
charthom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2011, 09:51   #64
Distinguished - BHPian
 
drmohitg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 4,479
Thanked: 3,624 Times
Default Re: ANHV vs Corolla Altis

Guys since the day of its launch the Vento has always appealed to me as a sensible, great looking VFM sedan. But since we are almost decided on buying the Jetta ( as the other car in exchange with the lancer), I had ruled out vento since the 2 cars will become very similar. But still everytime I cross a vento on the road it just makes me wanna go and book one now. How bad is the Idea of having both the Vento and the Jetta in the garage? Would the Vento take away much shine away from the Jetta since the front is quite similar and the interiors are also pretty much the same. Just a thought I felt I should share with all you guy. :(
drmohitg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2011, 12:36   #65
BHPian
 
charthom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Cochin
Posts: 652
Thanked: 262 Times
Default Re: ANHV vs Corolla Altis

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Guys since the day of its launch the Vento has always appealed to me as a sensible, great looking VFM sedan. But since we are almost decided on buying the Jetta ( as the other car in exchange with the lancer), I had ruled out vento since the 2 cars will become very similar. But still everytime I cross a vento on the road it just makes me wanna go and book one now. How bad is the Idea of having both the Vento and the Jetta in the garage? Would the Vento take away much shine away from the Jetta since the front is quite similar and the interiors are also pretty much the same. Just a thought I felt I should share with all you guy. :(
Irrespective of the maker,you must evaluate your needs carefully with heart and brain ,and decide the best for you. If you like 5 VW cars, and can afford them, why not buy all 5 and be happy?

Every-time you see a Vento you want to book one! Come on,don't regret,do it now!! Who knows,you may not like the Jetta (not discouraging you)- like I did with ANHV.Or another car may come out soon, which is better than Jetta,thus eliminating the crisis of buying 2 cars from the same brand.

Let us live now and here,get your Vento-best of luck.
charthom is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2011, 13:23   #66
BHPian
 
Poitive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: 3rdRockFmTheSun
Posts: 850
Thanked: 280 Times
Default Re: ANHV vs Corolla Altis

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Guys since the day of its launch the Vento has always appealed to me as a sensible, great looking VFM sedan.
VFM?

The Fiesta pricing now makes Vento and Magnum like a steal now

How about a Vento + Laura (in place of Jetta)?
(not withstanding the Skoda service. We don't know enough about VW service as yet. They are the same family afterall)
Poitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2011, 13:43   #67
Distinguished - BHPian
 
drmohitg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 4,479
Thanked: 3,624 Times
Default Re: ANHV vs Corolla Altis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
VFM?

The Fiesta pricing now makes Vento and Magnum like a steal now

How about a Vento + Laura (in place of Jetta)?
(not withstanding the Skoda service. We don't know enough about VW service as yet. They are the same family afterall)
Skoda - Avoid like the plague! Not even a remote possibility after all the lovely threads its generated advertising its lack of concern for the customer.
VW being from the same family is a slight concern but given the volume of cars they have already sold in India, I will rate there after sales much higher then Skoda. Ofcourse deep down I am still a little scared but not to the extent of it being a deal breaker!

Also if you see there is hardly any choice you have got in the C+/D segment. If not the Jetta, it will be the cruze since this car is for me or my sis to drive. So back seat is a little less of a concern. Apart from these I guess its then the Big germans only. And they are still slightly away from my reach. BMW is the dream car for me. Whats the current OTR of 320CE in Delhi? Any idea? I am guessing around 28L? and along with the BSI it should touch 30. Hmmm guess for that I will have to wait for some more time!

Anyways had a long discussion with dad today over the morning coffee. He likes the Toyota. Though he also feels that the extra 4.5L over the Vento is not really justified. Also he has developed a liking to the VW's understated looks. Even he admires every Vento on the road.

So If it doesn't rain today and he gets some time off during the day, we are going to check out all the cars again. Its suddenly become a Vento + Jetta vs the Altis + Jetta. This might change if we fall for the Optra though which is also on the radar now.

Will a Vento be a reliable car for around 1L kms? Thats the approximate reading till which we are going to keep the car with us.

Last edited by drmohitg : 15th July 2011 at 13:47.
drmohitg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2011, 15:41   #68
BHPian
 
Poitive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: 3rdRockFmTheSun
Posts: 850
Thanked: 280 Times
Default Re: ANHV vs Corolla Altis

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
If not the Jetta, it will be the cruze since this car is for me or my sis to drive. So back seat is a little less of a concern.
--------------
Also he has developed a liking to the VW's understated looks. Even he admires every Vento on the road.
--------------
This might change if we fall for the Optra though which is also on the radar now.
--------------
Will a Vento be a reliable car for around 1L kms? Thats the approximate reading till which we are going to keep the car with us.
When you TD the Cruze, check how comfortable your feet feel with the pedal placement. Also the angle of the floor in the driver's footwell. I also could not find a comfortable sitting position in this one. HUGE fun on the highway, with as much power (and the surge effect!) on tap. Love the aggressive looks from the front.

I have started calling Optra the "practical Cruze"! Also good to be driven in. More airy and understated, as your dad seems to like. A new dash on this car and it may be a more complete story. Consider TD the Magnum first now, as you seem to have TD the others once already.

About reliability, the only VW rated in the Tbhp test drives is Passat with a "Poor" rating! And the germans are usually not cheap to maintain. (Optra has an "Excellent" reliability rating )
Poitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2011, 17:35   #69
Distinguished - BHPian
 
drmohitg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 4,479
Thanked: 3,624 Times
Default Re: ANHV vs Corolla Altis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
When you TD the Cruze, check how comfortable your feet feel with the pedal placement. Also the angle of the floor in the driver's footwell.

Consider TD the Magnum first now, as you seem to have TD the others once already.

About reliability, the only VW rated in the Tbhp test drives is Passat with a "Poor" rating! And the germans are usually not cheap to maintain. (Optra has an "Excellent" reliability rating )
I already checked out the Cruze. I just didn't like the space inside. Thats why we dropped it from the list. Also the silvery finish looked a little too flashy for my comfort.

Yup I will surely TD the optra.

Well VW should cost me around 7-8k per year I am guessing. Thats the average cost I have seen across the threads. Altis will be around 5k.

How are the spares priced? I am guessing Altis should be marginally higher right?
drmohitg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2011, 18:49   #70
BHPian
 
Poitive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: 3rdRockFmTheSun
Posts: 850
Thanked: 280 Times
Default Re: ANHV vs Corolla Altis

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Yup I will surely TD the optra.
I meant the 'sequence' in which you do your TDs

Quote:
Well VW should cost me around 7-8k per year I am guessing. Thats the average cost I have seen across the threads. Altis will be around 5k.
Not sure what is being talked about here. My guess - maintenance costs. I don't have the figures. And when talking reliability, I expect it means rate of failure. Especially with reference to more critical areas.
Poitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2011, 19:08   #71
Senior - BHPian
 
oxyzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Not fixed.
Posts: 1,026
Thanked: 265 Times
Default Re: ANHV vs Corolla Altis

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Anyways had a long discussion with dad today over the morning coffee. He likes the Toyota. Though he also feels that the extra 4.5L over the Vento is not really justified. Also he has developed a liking to the VW's understated looks. Even he admires every Vento on the road.
Listen to yourself. It is the Vento that you want. I think a Vento and Cruze will be the perfect combo.
Both cars have different characters.

Or if you are obsessed with Jetta it could be Optra & Jetta

I would not go for ALTIS if I were you.
oxyzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2011, 19:28   #72
BHPian
 
Poitive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: 3rdRockFmTheSun
Posts: 850
Thanked: 280 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna vs Corolla Altis

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Anyways had a long discussion with dad today over the morning coffee. He likes the Toyota. Though he also feels that the extra 4.5L over the Vento is not really justified. Also he has developed a liking to the VW's understated looks. Even he admires every Vento on the road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
Listen to yourself. It is the Vento that you want. I think a Vento and Cruze will be the perfect combo.
Both cars have different characters.

Or if you are obsessed with Jetta it could be Optra & Jetta

I would not go for ALTIS if I were you.
Taking the thought further, I never envied the Optra from outside. Have really liked the Fluidic Verna (rear), ANHC (front), Vento (overall) from outside. Inside was a TOTALLY different story. No secret which one I'd like to own
Poitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2011, 22:37   #73
Distinguished - BHPian
 
drmohitg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 4,479
Thanked: 3,624 Times
Default Re: ANHV vs Corolla Altis

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
Listen to yourself. It is the Vento that you want. I think a Vento and Cruze will be the perfect combo.
Both cars have different characters.

Or if you are obsessed with Jetta it could be Optra & Jetta

I would not go for ALTIS if I were you.
No cruze is sort of out. The interior space is too cramping. It will be considered only if Jetta is priced insanely in which case we will take the Cruze AT.

But if $ is not a problem then is Altis that bad? I mean it has the best rear seat, and the toyota badge. Since I drive the Innova I can vouch for that badge's value.

Please bear with me guys and let your advice keep coming. I know I must be sounding the most confused idiotic person since I sway towards a different car every 4-5 hours. But I am sincerely confused. Couldn't go for the TD today. May be tomorrow if We are all free then we will go for the one last time and probably hand over the cheque for whichever car gets the maximum votes.
drmohitg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2011, 18:51   #74
Senior - BHPian
 
oxyzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Not fixed.
Posts: 1,026
Thanked: 265 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna vs Corolla Altis

No altis is not at all bad.
If you are looking for rear seat comfort, it is still the best. Extremely spacious, suspension tuned for ride.
But the fact is Corrola is not as exciting as the Vento that too when pricing is not considered. Sure you can go for it if is is only the rear seat comfort that you want.

It is also true, altis will be a lot more reliable and may even turn out cheaper to maintain.

However you wont like it 1 bit being in the driver's seat. Maybe your dad wont find anything to complain about. But IMO the resale will be poor as well since the car is already overpriced. 5 years down the line all you can expect is 6L while a Vento can fetch you 5L.
oxyzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2011, 00:06   #75
Distinguished - BHPian
 
drmohitg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 4,479
Thanked: 3,624 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna vs Corolla Altis

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
No altis is not at all bad.
If you are looking for rear seat comfort, it is still the best. Extremely spacious, suspension tuned for ride.
But the fact is Corrola is not as exciting as the Vento that too when pricing is not considered. Sure you can go for it if is is only the rear seat comfort that you want.

It is also true, altis will be a lot more reliable and may even turn out cheaper to maintain.

However you wont like it 1 bit being in the driver's seat. Maybe your dad wont find anything to complain about. But IMO the resale will be poor as well since the car is already overpriced. 5 years down the line all you can expect is 6L while a Vento can fetch you 5L.
Thinking from only Dad's need. He would love the Extra room in the Altis rather then the Vento. And he will be spending some decent time in the car. Lets see. I am going to check out the cars with my dad and mom. Lets see what turns out to be the best package.
drmohitg is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Civic vs Corolla Altis appuchan The International Automotive Scene 27 1st September 2013 08:55
Altis Diesel vs Micra Diesel ! Is Altis Diesel still underpowered ??? Hero Puch The Indian Car Scene 13 8th April 2011 16:20
Debating between Verna AT and Corolla Altis MT Murugan Sedans 31 22nd January 2010 04:51
Corolla Altis 2009- your verdict? Ym-enjn Sedans 94 31st October 2008 11:57
All new Corolla coming soon EDIT: Corolla Altis now Launched extreme_torque The Indian Car Scene 295 19th September 2008 23:48


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:35.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks