Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2011, 13:52   #76
BHPian
 
Poitive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: 3rdRockFmTheSun
Posts: 850
Thanked: 280 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna vs Corolla Altis

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Lets see. I am going to check out the cars with my dad and mom. Lets see what turns out to be the best package.
Any TDs yet? Been looking forward to your TD reports mate
What all cars are on your final TD list?
Poitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2011, 15:00   #77
Distinguished - BHPian
 
drmohitg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 4,481
Thanked: 3,625 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna vs Corolla Altis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Any TDs yet? Been looking forward to your TD reports mate
What all cars are on your final TD list?
No ya I havent found the time yet. I have TD all the vehicles before barring the Optra. This time I am trying to take all my family along once and for all and finalise the booking. But doing that is proving to be a herculean task. It should happen soon enough. The cars in the final mix are limited but span 3 different segments:
1. Altis Diesel
2. VW Vento
3. Chevy Optra
4. Tata Manza
( in that order of preference as of now).

Have you come any closer to choosing your machine?
drmohitg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2011, 17:38   #78
Senior - BHPian
 
oxyzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Not fixed.
Posts: 1,026
Thanked: 265 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna vs Corolla Altis

Jetta launch is near. August mid I guess.

Might wanna hold on the booking till then?
oxyzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2011, 21:06   #79
Distinguished - BHPian
 
drmohitg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 4,481
Thanked: 3,625 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna vs Corolla Altis

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
Jetta launch is near. August mid I guess.

Might wanna hold on the booking till then?
Jetta is a done deal. Thats the other car we are gonna buy in place for Lancer. In case they price it insanely then it will be either the Cruze or the Vento!
drmohitg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 01:59   #80
BHPian
 
Poitive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: 3rdRockFmTheSun
Posts: 850
Thanked: 280 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna vs Corolla Altis

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
No ya I havent found the time yet. I have TD all the vehicles before barring the Optra. This time I am trying to take all my family along once and for all and finalise the booking. But doing that is proving to be a herculean task. It should happen soon enough. The cars in the final mix are limited but span 3 different segments:
1. Altis Diesel
2. VW Vento
3. Chevy Optra
4. Tata Manza
( in that order of preference as of now).

Have you come any closer to choosing your machine?
Quite an interesting list you have there. Besides the Vento, the common thing I see in them is that they are all good cars to be driven in with ample space. Vento, though considered spacious didn't work at all for me from the space/headroom/ingeress-egress point. Was a good one to drive though.

Just in case you are to drive the car from this list, you will feel pretty bored with the Altis and Manza.

About me choosing - that happened somewhere between page 5 and 10 of the Spacious diesel sedan thread, which is some 35 odd pages now! Later that thread was for others to use (more formally talked about on page 15). Don't think I need to even specify which one I'd want to drive
However, it may just end up at the Manza, which is the other really spacious diesel car in the sub 12L segment.

All the best for your hunt mate. Do keep us tuned in.
Poitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 20:17   #81
Distinguished - BHPian
 
drmohitg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 4,481
Thanked: 3,625 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna vs Corolla Altis

Guys an unlikely turn of events happened today. We had bought a used Innova 5 years back at 30k kms. Its now done 76k kms. My dad generally views every dealer with a lot of suspicion because of some not so good experiences with the Honda and Mitsubishi Dealers in the past wrt to the servicing. So he always has got the cars serviced outside. This time I somehow managed to convince himself to try out Toyota ( after reading a lot about the legendary service on TBHP). The experience just blew us away. You can read about it here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...xperience.html (Galaxy Toyota Moti Nagar - Bad Experience)

My dad and I were so impressed with the whole experience that we decided to not fool around and just go for the Altis diesel. The car is well put together, has the best rear seat, looks very good( everyone in my family love the camry looks) and most importantly has a very reliable after sales service. The TD is scheduled for tomorrow but its more of a formality and we have finalised the Altis Diesel.

Now I have some queries regarding the purchase:
1. What colour? The two contenders are silver and Pearl white ( creamish shade). Cant decide between the two. The black is good but we already owned a black lancer and dont want to buy black again.
2. There are not offering any discounts of any sorts ( almost with an arrogant touch to there voice ). Here is the price break up:
Model- Toyota Altis Diesel HN variant ( middle variant).
Ex- showroom price: 13,40,600
Road Tax @ 10% : 1,34,060
Registration fee with HP, MCD parking fees, Smart card : 4670
Number Plate and number etching: 950
Logistics and handling charges: 3550
Toyota Insurance scheme: 47780
Smile Package: 4590
Total: 1536200

Extra Essential kit - 5356 ( includes standard floor mats, trunk mat, BCP(whats this?), muffler cutter and body cover).
This is something that I dont approve of as company policy and almost all companies have started following this. They should give these basic items with the car. One feels sad when after paying 15L you still have to pay for floor mats. How much will it cost Toyota ( or any other manufacturer) to provide the same. Anyways should I buy this from them or rather get these things from outside?

I will take a counter quote for the insurance from outside. Regarding the Insurance the SA told me that Toyota recommends only 4 companies and any Insurance done from some other company will not be honoured by Toyota according to some recent communication they have received from Toyota. The 4 companies are:
1. IFFCO- TOKYO
2. ICICI LOMBARD
3. UNITED
4. CHOLAMANDLAN
Now I have had some decent experience with ICICI before. But isn't what the SA is saying false? Or do you guys feel Toyota can actually say that?

Last but not the least a big thanks to everyone who helped me in this whole process. You guys made a whole lot of difference. Thanks a lot.

I will update with the TD details tomorrow.

Regards,
Mohit

Last edited by drmohitg : 22nd July 2011 at 20:21.
drmohitg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 21:13   #82
BHPian
 
Poitive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: 3rdRockFmTheSun
Posts: 850
Thanked: 280 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna vs Corolla Altis

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
My dad and I were so impressed with the whole experience that we decided to not fool around and just go for the Altis diesel. The car is well put together, has the best rear seat, looks very good( everyone in my family love the camry looks) and most importantly has a very reliable after sales service. The TD is scheduled for tomorrow but its more of a formality and we have finalised the Altis Diesel.
Interesting, how decisions get made.

We have one experience like yours when how the dealership was was so convincing and another on the Renault thread, talking about how unprofessional the staff was.

The good thing about Toyota is that it should not spring up surprises. The Altis D is actually a good car to be driven in. Probably the most practical point A to point B car to be driven in. To drive may be a totally different story.

About it having the best seat - the captains seats in the Innova and Safari may be a lot better, but those weren't cars in your list. Did you try out all the cars in your list of 4 to assess the rear seats mate? There still may be some scope for better seats in your list itself.

While this may be the best choice in your case, I hope the decision isn't being taken in a moment of euphoria over the unexpectedly good service.

The colours! Aah, this is even more personal. Both the colours you mention are very very common. The Pearl white, even more. But that is the one which suits a chauffeur driven car.

Are they allowing you to take the "essentials kit" from elsewhere? I really doubt they will.

About the discounts, why don't you just call up Just-Dial, get some numbers of Toyota dealers on you phone and make a few calls. Tell them that you know what you want (tell them the colour too) and are ready with the cheque and see if they offer any discounts. If they do, you know what the scope is.

All the best with the purchase mate Happy miles ahead.
Poitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 22:11   #83
Team-BHP Support
 
noopster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 8,666
Thanked: 9,198 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna vs Corolla Altis

Hey mohit, congrats on finally making the choice! The thread title is "Honda Verna vs. Corolla Altis", so I suppose the better car won.

But in all honesty, 15.4 lacs for a 1.4 litre, 88 BHP car is excessive. On the plus side you have Toyota piece of mind and good FE/low running cost. So in the long run you (and more importantly your Dad) will be happy!

Jetta is launching 17th August and VW SR told me he thinks it may be priced at 15 lac++ I guess you have another decision to make pretty soon!
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 23:01   #84
Distinguished - BHPian
 
drmohitg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 4,481
Thanked: 3,625 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna vs Corolla Altis

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
The manual mentions 5K service interval for diesel vehicles and 10K for petrol. That is the company's recommendation. You can always choose to have the vehicle serviced after 10K km but I guess with diesels, changing the oil after every 5K km is generally advisable.

Can you check if extended warranty is possible at Rs 4500/year after the 3rd year?
Now, is that "smiles" package something new? I haven't heard of this. Will they offer the same package after the 3 year warranty is over? Let me know.
Checked with the SA again and even asked the service department people separately. The Altis Diesel has a 10k service interval. The Innova diesel though has a 5k interval. Don't know why the difference but its what they told me and I confirmed it.

The smiles package is very much available for an older vehicle also. The rates may vary by 1k max depending upon which service you are going to be approaching. In this case for instance you pay Rs 4500 upfront. This entitles you for free service ( you don't need to pay anything) for 1 year/20k kms. In a new car in the 1st year lets say I drive 20k kms then all 3 services that I will encounter - 1k, 10k and 20k are free. I can renew it each year. Accidental and wear and tear damages like break pad is not covered under this though. Also it entitles you to some 10% discount on spares.
I guess you will have to ask your dealer for whats on offer there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Interesting, how decisions get made.
It was extremely confusing trust me. But yea sometimes you should just do what your heart feels is right.

Quote:
The good thing about Toyota is that it should not spring up surprises. The Altis D is actually a good car to be driven in. Probably the most practical point A to point B car to be driven in. To drive may be a totally different story.
Exactly. It best suits our needs. And its actually not too bad to drive. Moreover I will be buying the Jetta too right! That should be fun to drive. Let this sedate car keep dad comfortable for the next 6-7 years .


Quote:
About it having the best seat - the captains seats in the Innova and Safari may be a lot better, but those weren't cars in your list.
Already own a Innova. So only sedans were being considered. Also my dad really needs the Boot to keep all his stuff safe while travelling.

Quote:
Did you try out all the cars in your list of 4 to assess the rear seats mate? There still may be some scope for better seats in your list itself.
I couldn't TD the Optra afterall since the decision today was made unexpectedly. But yea I did sit inside one. The following is my rating of the cars in the above list based on back seat purely:
Altis> Optra= Manza (almost)> Vento ( sad when you compare it to the other three).


Quote:
While this may be the best choice in your case, I hope the decision isn't being taken in a moment of euphoria over the unexpectedly good service.
Well since the thread was started Altis was the top most choice for us. Only thing holding us back was the high price tag. But then the overall appeal of the car sealed the deal I guess.

Quote:
The colours! Aah, this is even more personal. Both the colours you mention are very very common. The Pearl white, even more. But that is the one which suits a chauffeur driven car.
Exactly my thought too. Sister likes the silver. I somehow hate it. I think we are born anti eachother. Dad is fine with both though likes the Pearl white slightly more.

Quote:
Are they allowing you to take the "essentials kit" from elsewhere? I really doubt they will.
No no they haven't included it in the OTR price of the car. So I am guessing I can buy it from outside too. I will ask him to show me the mats and then decide. Body cover anyways I don't need.

Quote:
About the discounts, why don't you just call up Just-Dial, get some numbers of Toyota dealers on you phone and make a few calls. Tell them that you know what you want (tell them the colour too) and are ready with the cheque and see if they offer any discounts. If they do, you know what the scope is.
Will do that over the weekend. Does it make sense to call the other outlets of the same dealer ie Galaxy toyota in this case? Or should I call only different Dealer outlets?

Quote:
All the best with the purchase mate Happy miles ahead.
Thanks a lot mate. Your valuable suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Hey mohit, congrats on finally making the choice! The thread title is "Honda Verna vs. Corolla Altis", so I suppose the better car won.
Thanks a lot. I hope its the right choice.

Quote:
But in all honesty, 15.4 lacs for a 1.4 litre, 88 BHP car is excessive. On the plus side you have Toyota piece of mind and good FE/low running cost. So in the long run you (and more importantly your Dad) will be happy!
Yup. Yaar please dont put me back into that confused stage haha. If the car returns me FE of 14 in the city I will be happy to ignore the small engine. But anyways seriously speaking this car will be driven by the driver at all times and in the city. So that way its not that bad a choice I guess.

Quote:
Jetta is launching 17th August and VW SR told me he thinks it may be priced at 15 lac++ I guess you have another decision to make pretty soon!
Well I am eagerly waiting for it. Some talk of a new Cruze has also started on the forum.

ps: Have been flirting with another idea. I have been going through Suman's thread. If the top end Jetta comes to 20L OTR,why not just plonk some more money and get that 320CE for 27-28? One BHPian from Bombay said he was offered 3L off plus free BSI for 3 years. Though Delhi dealers haven't been that generous with the discounts. Well its just a thought.
" Dil to bacha hai ji...!!"

Last edited by drmohitg : 22nd July 2011 at 23:16. Reason: Text added.
drmohitg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2011, 02:48   #85
BHPian
 
Poitive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: 3rdRockFmTheSun
Posts: 850
Thanked: 280 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna vs Corolla Altis

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Exactly. It best suits our needs. And its actually not too bad to drive. Moreover I will be buying the Jetta too right! That should be fun to drive. Let this sedate car keep dad comfortable for the next 6-7 years .
LOL! Just cross your fingers that your dad doesn't like the rear seat of the Jetta better. You'll be in trouble if he takes that!!!

Quote:
I couldn't TD the Optra afterall since the decision today was made unexpectedly. But yea I did sit inside one. The following is my rating of the cars in the above list based on back seat purely:
Altis> Optra= Manza (almost)> Vento ( sad when you compare it to the other three).
Mate, the real value of comfort of the Optra's rear seat is felt when it is moving; moving over bad roads, at low speeds or high. You have to TD it to feel the difference of the AWIS (All Wheel Independent Suspension) and the effect it's 1370kg weight has on it's momentum to make it glide over undulations with composure. FYI, Optra and Altis have the same wheelbase (IIRC 2600mm), which is more than the Laura.

Two interesting posts I had linked in the Spacious Diesel Sedans thread:

From someone who owns both Optra and Altis (please read the preceding posts too, to get a proper perspective)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2360351

From someone who owns both the Optra and Laura
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...tml#post667546 (Chevrolet Optra Magnum TCDi ... My new love ..!!) (Chevrolet Optra Magnum TCDi ... My new love ..!!)

(He finds the Laura like an Autoriksha , when compared to the Optra with regards to comfort!)

Disclaimer again!! : I am not a GM salesman in disguise.

Quote:
Well since the thread was started Altis was the top most choice for us. Only thing holding us back was the high price tag. But then the overall appeal of the car sealed the deal I guess.
Quite like Noopster said, the better car won. To be driven around, it is a no contest. A no brainier between the Altis and Fluidic.

Quote:
ps: Have been flirting with another idea. I have been going through Suman's thread. If the top end Jetta comes to 20L OTR,why not just plonk some more money and get that 320CE for 27-28? One BHPian from Bombay said he was offered 3L off plus free BSI for 3 years. Though Delhi dealers haven't been that generous with the discounts. Well its just a thought.
" Dil to bacha hai ji...!!"
Now this is getting interesting!
You are in Delhi? Right? Get the 3 series and I am hopping in for a drive or more

More seriously, consider the maintenance costs in mind if you take that plunge. I think I read about BMW offering 0% finance, which really is a discount. Don't know if you have that as a valid option - A Haryana registration could save you a packet on that.

Last edited by Poitive : 23rd July 2011 at 02:58. Reason: Noticed an extra smiley and deleted it.
Poitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2011, 07:49   #86
Team-BHP Support
 
noopster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 8,666
Thanked: 9,198 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna vs Corolla Altis

Mohit, 320d while a great car to drive has some obvious dealbreakers (IMHO): runflats, high cost of maintenance, absolutely cramped in the back from all accounts and it serves to draw unnecessary attention to oneself. Jetta is nicely understated that way. I think you're set!
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2011, 09:07   #87
Distinguished - BHPian
 
drmohitg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 4,481
Thanked: 3,625 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna vs Corolla Altis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
LOL! Just cross your fingers that your dad doesn't like the rear seat of the Jetta better. You'll be in trouble if he takes that!!!
Oh he wouldn't. Dad is very uncomfortable giving anything new or costly in the drivers hands. The driver doesn't drive it with care or any consideration specially when he is driving it on his own. So he will stick to the Altis only.


Quote:
Now this is getting interesting!
You are in Delhi? Right? Get the 3 series and I am hopping in for a drive or more
Hey this is just a wild idea floating. I have always dreamt of owning a BMW. And with the launch of CE it has started looking like a possibility.
Quote:
More seriously, consider the maintenance costs in mind if you take that plunge. I think I read about BMW offering 0% finance, which really is a discount. Don't know if you have that as a valid option - A Haryana registration could save you a packet on that.
Ofcourse I will take the 5 year BSI along with it. Yea the 0% finance looks like a good deal although I am not very sure how much will I save in the end. Haryana registration can be managed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Mohit, 320d while a great car to drive has some obvious dealbreakers (IMHO): runflats, high cost of maintenance, absolutely cramped in the back from all accounts and it serves to draw unnecessary attention to oneself. Jetta is nicely understated that way. I think you're set!
I know. But honestly I am so much in awe of the car that all these suddenly become a no issue. But what you are saying is absolutely true and Jetta will make most sense. Infact I was blown away by even a passat recently. And in case we are plonking 25+L then it will be surely considered.
drmohitg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2011, 03:56   #88
BHPian
 
Poitive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: 3rdRockFmTheSun
Posts: 850
Thanked: 280 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna vs Corolla Altis

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Oh he wouldn't. Dad is very uncomfortable giving anything new or costly in the drivers hands. The driver doesn't drive it with care or any consideration specially when he is driving it on his own. So he will stick to the Altis only.
This makes the Altis a better choice. Giving an Optra Magnum to the driver when he is alone, may be a point of concern, given the power this beast has!

All the best mate. Now looking forward to your confirmation and then your ownership report Wishing you (rather your dad in this case) many many comfortable and trouble-free and happy miles ahead.
Poitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2011, 09:37   #89
Senior - BHPian
 
vigsom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: AUH<->MAA
Posts: 1,722
Thanked: 581 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna vs Corolla Altis

My suggestions in line

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
1. What colour? The two contenders are silver and Pearl white ( creamish shade). Pearl white anyday

How much will it cost Toyota ( or any other manufacturer) to provide the same. Anyways should I buy this from them or rather get these things from outside? if they don't cost a bomb at the dealership,buy from there and keep their sales guy happy - a small price for a probably better benefit

I will take a counter quote for the insurance from outside. Regarding the Insurance the SA told me that Toyota recommends only 4 companies and any Insurance done from some other company will not be honoured by Toyota - I don't agree ; you might probably not get a cashless benefit but even if you pay and claim, pvt Insurance companies clear claims real real fast
vigsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2011, 10:13   #90
Senior - BHPian
 
oxyzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Not fixed.
Posts: 1,026
Thanked: 265 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Verna vs Corolla Altis

A sensible choice made. Hey I am not sensible.

Jetta is from VW. Known for poor reliability, poor A.S.S. But should be utmost fun to drive.
The Altis on the other hand is every thing the Jetta is not. Realiable, and as you have already discovered the USP of Toyota (A.S.S)

Having two cars (and if both have poor A.S.S) can be a nightmare. Altis is not at all a bad car if you disregard
1) Driving pleasure
2) Price
I dont think those were your concerns.

Lastly Congratulations. You have finally made a choice!
oxyzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Civic vs Corolla Altis appuchan The International Automotive Scene 27 1st September 2013 08:55
Altis Diesel vs Micra Diesel ! Is Altis Diesel still underpowered ??? Hero Puch The Indian Car Scene 13 8th April 2011 16:20
Debating between Verna AT and Corolla Altis MT Murugan Sedans 31 22nd January 2010 04:51
Corolla Altis 2009- your verdict? Ym-enjn Sedans 94 31st October 2008 11:57
All new Corolla coming soon EDIT: Corolla Altis now Launched extreme_torque The Indian Car Scene 295 19th September 2008 23:48


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:28.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks