Fiat Tjet 185 48.05%
Any other option 9 2.34%
Voters: 385. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12th June 2014, 11:40   #136
BHPian

Default Re: Verna Fluidic 1.6 Vs Fiat Tjet Vs Honda City

Quote:
Originally Posted by desdemona View Post
The last two are a different TYPE of c-segment sedan to the first one! Hope you're not comparing apples and oranges!

Enjoy the decision making, and let us know!
@desdemona: Can you please explain how is it apple to orange comparison. I'm getting little confused here. we are talking about same category of cars here. aren't we.

@ stanjohn: this made me ROFL. since i had very short test drive i cannot compare how the steering and suspension feels. However when the same feedback is given in multiple blogs, this gets me worried. i'm no lewis. But i seriously hope this is not a deal breaker for me.

I drive in a sweet band of 80 to 100 Kms on highways. Not much Highway use. Doctor has advised not to travel in my bike due to back pain. hence looking at car which is beautiful to look at, Rich in interiors since spending 4 hours in your car every day needs to be top class. and safety features are must. I haven't had any safety feature in my previous cars. hence stretching my budget and i still not able to convince my heart to move away from Verna.

Last edited by manson : 12th June 2014 at 19:47. Reason: Corrected smiley symbol.
Endofdayz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2014, 12:18   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endofdayz View Post
@desdemona: Can you please explain how is it apple to orange comparison. I'm getting little confused here. we are talking about same category of cars here. aren't we.
Well, I think I could explain too; the Verna is for the masses with its features, power, refinement and IMO, overdone exterior. Peel away these things and you are left with a lesser car in that it's dynamic capabilities are a joke. The Fiesta and Linea on the other hand, don't make "sense" to the typical family guy since they lack good after sales support and have a few quirks here and there. However, they are the best in the segment as far as driving pleasure goes. So you see you've got the Hyundai, whose USP is the value for money it poses to offer, and on the other hand, the Ford and Fiat make no excuses to be anything but dynamically sound driver's delights. They target two completely different audiences according to me. The fruit might be the same size, but one can't confuse apples and oranges

The Fiat or Ford may be mine or desdemona's choice, but only you can decide which suits you best, if you aren't a driving enthusiast or after driving the Verna you didn't feel like something was fundamentally wrong with the way it drove and you don't feel like you really appreciate a precisely calibrated, well weighted steering mated to a rigid chassis supported by an unshakable suspension setup, then there's no point trying to fall in love with Fiesta or the Linea.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 12th June 2014 at 12:34.
IshaanIan is online now   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2014, 13:16   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Well, I think I could explain too; the Verna is for the masses with its features, power, refinement and IMO, overdone exterior. Peel away these things and you are left with a lesser car in that it's dynamic capabilities are a joke. The Fiesta and Linea on the other hand, don't make "sense" to the typical family guy since they lack good after sales support and have a few quirks here and there. However, they are the best in the segment as far as driving pleasure goes. So you see you've got the Hyundai, whose USP is the value for money it poses to offer, and on the other hand, the Ford and Fiat make no excuses to be anything but dynamically sound driver's delights. They target two completely different audiences according to me. The fruit might be the same size, but one can't confuse apples and oranges

The Fiat or Ford may be mine or desdemona's choice, but only you can decide which suits you best, if you aren't a driving enthusiast or after driving the Verna you didn't feel like something was fundamentally wrong with the way it drove and you don't feel like you really appreciate a precisely calibrated, well weighted steering mated to a rigid chassis supported by an unshakable suspension setup, then there's no point trying to fall in love with Fiesta or the Linea.

Got it. But there is no harm in trying . though it can match the safety feature of Verna, but no way these cars can be ruled out as not good. Even they have features which can go head on with Verna. But the only constraint is i cannot wait till new cars are launched since the dates are not confirmed. If it was 2 months and all the cars in market, and i feel verna is still better i can always choose. Who knows even with better discounts.

Let me take test drive of Verna this weekend. I'm not going back to Honda City for sure. but their is no harm in trying other cars. Will keep this thread updated.
Endofdayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2014, 13:27   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm starting off new discussion on the very same thread because i'm looking at buying a sedan
If its a Honda City, make sure its a petrol.

The Rapid represents good value for money. There are no serious after sales service issues with this Skoda.

The Verna is the priciest of the lot. I am not a Hyundai fan but boy was I impressed after driving the 2014 edition. The first thing that hits you is the refinement of the engine. Its incredible. Hyundai have also worked on the suspension so its not like the old float ride feeling. Equipment wise again, you can't beat the Hyundai.

Try the new Linea diesel. Its no Rapid rocket and you may not want a Fiat in your garage. Still; give it shot. No harm in a test drive right.
sandeepmohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2014, 13:36   #140
BHPian

Being a happy fiat linea user, I will only give you a insider look at Fiat Linea and few outsider look at Verna (my close friend's car for nearly a year) and City (I drove it for a month in Delhi)

Fiat Linea

1. Build Quality - My linea has been hammered by drunk enfield rider, car driven by doped youngsters, a lost soul reversing in full speed without paying any heed to my honking. In each case the impact has caused a huge jerk, a big sound. But each time, I have been pleasantly surprised to find the car body hardly impacted. I drove a swift earlier and it has caved in out of shape with a mere nudge by a truck in a bumper to bumper traffic speed (Nothing against the brilliance of swift though - except its inherent rear axle problem).

2. Fiat Customer Loyalty - Fiat always honors its extended warranty without any fuss or a single penny. I have had parts replaced for free twice once for a minor part replacement and a second time for the full suspension setup. Mind you, suspension problems can be blamed at roads, driver etc. Fiat's 24*7 road side assistance delivers promptly even for replacing punctured tyre with step-knee. I have always found that the dedicated fiat executives (including in Tata days) are probably more educated, are better behaved and are probably better paid.

3. Technology - This was the first car to bring in full fledged bluetooth integration with phone, voice commands for controlling music player etc. I find it amazingly convenient that the moment I step into the car, I can take any calls, have msgs read out all automatically and seamlessly without me worrying about connecting the phone. The voice recognition is top class. There are quite a few other convenient features in the way lights, heating & cooling, wipers function.

4. Suspension - It beats Verna and City hands down.

5. Cornering ability - Beats Verna hands, I have driven City only in Delhi -Gurgaon city roads and have not really tested its cornering.

6. Inside seating - My in-law is a pretty healthy lady and she along with father-in-law, two brothers, wife and me fit in pretty comfortably in long rides -along with all the luggage.

7. Updated models - I was recently in Europe and there they have the exact model of Linea running which is in India. City is not really an international car btw.

8. Car adulation - This one is a ego and pride booster. I have personally experienced that the size and look of linea has created a perception among labor class people that it is a very premium car and I have found multiple times valet, security guards etc. giving more attention to me and my passengers in a linea over same segment cars including city and new verna.
neelchak is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2014, 20:20   #141
BHPian

Hi All,

Thanks for the amazing response. However wanted to understand whether anyone owns the 2014 verna in t-bhp. i tried official thread, but no feedback at all.
Old 12th June 2014, 21:34   #142
BHPian

Great to see the votes for the TJet. I am 6 months old with TJET and have covered approx 8500 kms. Which includes 2 Bangalore-Palakkad-Bangalore trips.

I am enjoying every kilometre I drive. The Turbo kick is quite addictive and the planted feel of the car give you confidence. And those vault like doors,you feel cocooned inside.

Will be doing my third Bangalore-Palakkad-Bangalore trip this weekend. This one of the issues with the Jet, its an addiction and make you crave for those long drives.
shijinpr is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2014, 21:02   #143
BHPian

Hi all,
I took test drive of fiat linea. Very impressive. But felt somewhat engine underpowered. Considerable amount of lag. May be because i drove honda,verna and rapid before i drove linea. But absolutely no doubt about dynamics. However let me tell you heart won the battle. Took back to back test drive of verna 2013 and verna 2014. I could feel what each and every member claimed. But there is a huge improvement in 2014 verna. Car feels planted. I would suggest go ahead and take a test drive. However steering feedback is still lacking a bit but that should not be a deal breaker.

And guess what.. i booked verna 2014 sx(o) in white.

Im behaving like a small kid now..

One question though. Is it advised to take car for a long drive after delivery. Might need to visit my native.. i dont want to go in taxi.
Old 14th June 2014, 21:12   #144
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the new Verna booking! When is the delivery expected?

Before you go for long drive, better to take the car for short spins around the City for 2 - 3 days just to ensure everything is fine.
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2014, 13:07   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Congrats on the new Verna booking! When is the delivery expected?

Before you go for long drive, better to take the car for short spins around the City for 2 - 3 days just to ensure everything is fine.
thanks Finneyp. delivery is expected in 10 days. Short spins are fine. For engine life is it advised to take a new car for long drive after delivery. Anything else to be taken care. Like giving a break after 1 hour drive or something. driving within permissible can be taken care.
Old 16th June 2014, 13:28   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For engine life is it advised to take a new car for long drive after delivery. Anything else to be taken care. Like giving a break after 1 hour drive or something. driving within permissible can be taken care.
Please read the User Manual and if there is a initial running-in period, please follow the instructions on the same.
finneyp is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2014, 13:38   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
thanks Finneyp. delivery is expected in 10 days. Short spins are fine. For engine life is it advised to take a new car for long drive after delivery. Anything else to be taken care. Like giving a break after 1 hour drive or something. driving within permissible can be taken care.
Congrats on your new Verna! Unless any specific running-in restrictions are mentioned in the owner's manual, you can safely take the new car out for long drives.

Most modern cars nowadays do not come with any running-in restrictions and will be ready to go from day 1. However, it would be better that you take it easy for the first thousand kilometres or so. Also, during this period, make sure to vary the engine rpm every now and then, rather than constantly cruising at one particular speed / rpm on long drives. This should be sufficient. You don't need to follow anything else, no need for hourly breaks or any such thing.
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2014, 17:28   #148
BANNED

Hi Endofdayz.

So you booked the car you had your 'heart' set on from the beginning! ;-) Which might well be just the way to buy a car! Enjoy man! And may the Hyundai deliver whatever it has promised you.

cheers
desdemona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2014, 19:38   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desdemona View Post
Hi Endofdayz.

So you booked the car you had your 'heart' set on from the beginning! ;-) Which might well be just the way to buy a car! Enjoy man! And may the Hyundai deliver whatever it has promised you.

cheers
Bang of target. Typical heart vs Mind battle. Though i dont like few bits n pieces here and there when it comes to Verna, but i feel overall Package worth it.

first the positives
1. Powerful engine.
2. sixth gear for highway cruising.
3. Safety Features. you would agree none in this segment. This was the main factor since i had even missed ABS in my swift due to 6 months waiting period. Also missed diesel heart due to this very reason. I wanted no compromise this time.
4. Honda representative was always pushing me for SV model when i could afford VX due to the waiting period. I did not like this attitude. Even till now i had got calls from other showrooms about my decision, no contact from Honda and Fiat till very time.

Negatives
1. Beige interiors. Very big hatred for me.
2. those wooden inserts in Verna looks tacky. Asked about changing the option.
3. Steering Feedback on long drives.
4. concerned about those flashy DRLs inserted in Headlights. read in review thread that it costs 88k. Dont really know whether it is true or not. but 88k for headlights.

I wanted to be treated atleast as genuine customer when i walk into those showrooms. Atleast show some eagerness. i found this missing in Honda and fiat. Even skoda was better in this sense. Best experience i had was VW, Skoda and Hyundai. Even in Hyundai, trident dint give me a good experience though they followed up till the end. But experience in their showroom leaves alot to be wished.

I was also looking at skoda rapid and VW vento. But seriously i dont have time or patience to fight it out when it comes to service. I like to walk into the service center. Write down my complaints, explain me what they doing including cost of service. thats it.

Let me see how Hyundai treats me. fingers crossed
Endofdayz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2014, 20:01   #150
BHPian

Congratulations on your purchase, and enjoy the smile when the turbo whoosh kicks in.

I was in a similar boat like you some 1.5 years ago, and went for the Fluidic and haven't regretted my decision since.

Be careful with high speed maneuvers while cornering though. (Read: Don't )

And I'm sure the Hyundai experience will be fuss free. I had some trouble once and I escalated to the regional office, and hell was unleashed at the service center, the service manager came to home and apologized, left a courtesy car, found out the problems, replaced the spares in warranty, returned the car and gave 2000 off on regular service.

Enjoy!
Raghav_K is offline   Reply With Quote