Any other option 9 2.34%
Voters: 385. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17th June 2014, 21:05   #151
BHPian

Default Re: Verna Fluidic 1.6 Vs Fiat Tjet Vs Honda City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endofdayz View Post
Hi All,

Thanks for the amazing response. However wanted to understand whether anyone owns the 2014 verna in t-bhp. i tried official thread, but no feedback at all.
This might be a bit late but I have a 2014 Verna. I am sure you would not regret the decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghav_K View Post
Be careful with high speed maneuvers while cornering though. (Read: Don't )
Yes, this is the only negative aspect in the entire car. Wider tyres help to a great extent. And if you are really interested, after market suspension upgrades are available from Tein. I am running the same for a week now and don't have my heart in my mouth anymore during high speed corners.
Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2014, 00:15   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Yes, this is the only negative aspect in the entire car. Wider tyres help to a great extent. And if you are really interested, after market suspension upgrades are available from Tein. I am running the same for a week now and don't have my heart in my mouth anymore during high speed corners.
You are running Teins on your Verna? Could we please have a review? Pretty please? Isn't the chassis itself a bit floppy too? Have you got a strut brace and sway bar installed too? Also, how do you intend on giving the steering some life?

I am genuinely interested because I have always wanted to know what it takes to make a dynamically poor car, an enthusiast's ride
IshaanIan is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2014, 02:11   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
And if you are really interested, after market suspension upgrades are available from Tein. I am running the same for a week now and don't have my heart in my mouth anymore during high speed corners.
Please provide more details on this. Where did you get it installed? How much did it cost? Any photos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
You are running Teins on your Verna? Could we please have a review? Pretty please?
You really are excited about Teins.
satan's_valet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2014, 23:57   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
You are running Teins on your Verna? Could we please have a review? Pretty please? Isn't the chassis itself a bit floppy too? Have you got a strut brace and sway bar installed too? Also, how do you intend on giving the steering some life?
Using Teins for less than a week now, so you'll have to wait for a proper review. All I can say now is that I take corners more confidently now.

No strut braces or sway bars. Unfortunately, there is no space under the bonet for a brace. As with sway bars, they are not available here and not sure if the ones available in the US will fit our cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan's_valet View Post
Please provide more details on this. Where did you get it installed? How much did it cost? Any photos?
Got it done from Red Rooster Performance, Bangalore. Paid about a lakh. No photos as of now.
Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2014, 23:07   #155
BHPian

I am looking for a petrol sedan to replace my Baleno. Today I test drove Linea Tjet. Its amazing in power delivery and handling. But few queries/concerns:
  1. While pushing the accelerator and releasing the accelerator, i could feel a slight jerk in gear stick. Is this normally in Linea? The SA claims it is there in Punto also! I could literally feel the movement in gear stick. Its very annoying.
  2. I felt the cabin noise is higher compared to Baleno and old Palio.
  3. Front seats felt smaller compared to Baleno and Palio.
  4. Steering position felt a little too high even at the lowest position, but was still comfortable to use with great feedback.
  5. Driver seats felt awkward... Don't know how to explain this, but something was not right. Might get used to it
Other options I am looking at are Ertiga and forthcoming Mobilio. It's apples to oranges comparison, but Ertiga offers a lot of practical advantages in terms of space, great A.S.S etc. Issues I had with Ertiga:
  1. Didn't feel stable even at slower speeds. I got a floating feel while driving ertiga. But it had very good driving position, very nice seats and i could immediately settle down and find the ideal driving position.
  2. Compared to Baleno, very little power at lower gears - a concern for city driving in heavy traffic.
  3. Concerned about high speed stability, cornering etc
Ruled out vento/rapid - Higher price and pathetic A.S.S
Ruled out Verna - Poor handling at high speeds

Looking forward to fellow team-bhpians feedback, inputs and suggestions.
guruji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2014, 19:25   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guruji View Post
I am looking for a petrol sedan to replace my Baleno. Today I test drove Linea Tjet. Its amazing in power delivery and handling. But few queries/concerns:
  1. While pushing the accelerator and releasing the accelerator, i could feel a slight jerk in gear stick. Is this normally in Linea? The SA claims it is there in Punto also! I could literally feel the movement in gear stick. Its very annoying.
  2. I felt the cabin noise is higher compared to Baleno and old Palio.
  3. Front seats felt smaller compared to Baleno and Palio.
  4. Steering position felt a little too high even at the lowest position, but was still comfortable to use with great feedback.
  5. Driver seats felt awkward... Don't know how to explain this, but something was not right. Might get used to it
Other options I am looking at are Ertiga and forthcoming Mobilio. It's apples to oranges comparison, but Ertiga offers a lot of practical advantages in terms of space, great A.S.S etc. Issues I had with Ertiga:
  1. Didn't feel stable even at slower speeds. I got a floating feel while driving ertiga. But it had very good driving position, very nice seats and i could immediately settle down and find the ideal driving position.
  2. Compared to Baleno, very little power at lower gears - a concern for city driving in heavy traffic.
  3. Concerned about high speed stability, cornering etc
Ruled out vento/rapid - Higher price and pathetic A.S.S
Ruled out Verna - Poor handling at high speeds

Looking forward to fellow team-bhpians feedback, inputs and suggestions.
I recently test drove a T-Jet. It depends on how well the demo car has been maintained. For me there no issues with the engine or gear. The only bother was the clutch was dead hard. I asked them whats wrong and the sales folks apologized saying the T-Jet was the busiest car and they could not take it for servicing. So i understood a clutch cable change might be required. But coming from the Baleno i doubt if there is a more fitting replacement for you in the market than the T-Jet.
The noise and jerks that you experienced all point towards a poorly maintained car.I was really amazed at NVH levels. It a pleasure to drive a T-Jet.
Incase the cost of petrol is not an issue i think this is the perfect drivers' car out there now.

Incase you are more comfortable with Maruti , then i think you should wait for the Ciaz to hit the market.

Last edited by adneo : 17th July 2014 at 19:27. Reason: typo
adneo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2014, 09:17   #157
BHPian

I asked for a TD of new Linea Tjet. Instead the guy brought one 2010 Tjet+. After some driving around, he told that he can make a good deal for this car. The car has done 12000 kms. Car looked trouble free, no rattle anywhere but interiors were a little bit dirty. Should I go for a car which is already replaced by a new model? The sales guy did not gave me the price. He offered to do the TD again after a proper service. What should be the right price for such a car?
Sanjay1707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2014, 10:44   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjay1707 View Post
I asked for a TD of new Linea Tjet. Instead the guy brought one 2010 Tjet+. After some driving around, he told that he can make a good deal for this car. The car has done 12000 kms. Car looked trouble free, no rattle anywhere but interiors were a little bit dirty. Should I go for a car which is already replaced by a new model? The sales guy did not gave me the price. He offered to do the TD again after a proper service. What should be the right price for such a car?
The first T-Jet remains the purest to drive so it would be my pick even against the seductive new interiors and less turbo-laggy tune on offer. However, why are you buying a 4 year old test drive car that's done 12k kms? 12000 kilometers of hardcore driving, redlining, slipping the clutch, braking too hard, missing gears and all by different drivers who in their right mind would even consider this? A used car of the same vintage would make a lot more sense. It would:
1. Be a lot cheaper. No discount these guys give you will even come close
2. Be lot better maintained. The car itself would be a lot closer to a new one in comparison to the TD unit.
3. Would have only gone through a small fraction of bad usage and that would also be most probably by one driver.
Sure, you will be the second owner. But car per car, the used one (as long as you buy the right one) will be a better car than the test drive unit.

These are my opinions

Cheers!

Last edited by IshaanIan : 20th July 2014 at 10:46.
IshaanIan is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2014, 14:27   #159
BHPian

Smile C2 segment petrol sedan comparo. Under 10L

With diesel being deregularized and petrol-diesel price gap narrowing to ~10Rs in most of the cities/town the interest in petrol cars is slowly coming back.

For a usage based comparison(between diesel and petrol), came across this link which gives a detailed enough spreadsheet based on usage.

http://aravindavk.in/diesel-vs-petrol-car/

For an average usage of 1000-1100 kms a month petrol cars seem to be easier on pocket if its used for around 5 years and the fuel price gap remains same.
Verna Fluidic 1.6 Vs Fiat Tjet Vs Honda City-comparo.png

Now its a well known fact that most of the models released lately by all manufacturers concentrated mostly on diesel motors and the petrol counterparts were given a step-brotherly treatment. Still for the available lot was trying to find a comparison on following parameters:

1. Space
2. Handling
3. Outright Performance
4. Mileage
5. Equipment list
6. A.S.S
7. Looks

Adding a poll for best VFM proposition based on above parameters. Cars I can think of are :

1. Honda City
2. Nissan Sunny
3. Ford Fiesta
4. Fiat Linea T-Jet
5. Renault Scala
6. Volkswagon Vento(not the TSI)
7. Skoda Rapid
8. Maruti Ciaz
9. Hyundai Verna Fluidic

*Not including VENTO TSI as its 10L + ex-showroom.*

Personally I find HONDA CITY iVtec as a value proposition with a decent mix of all the 7 parameters. Please share your views and reasons for the same.

@Mods : I searched but couldnt find a similar thread. If a thread already exists on the same topic please direct me there and delete this post.

Last edited by SoumenD : 11th September 2014 at 14:31.
SoumenD is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2014, 14:48   #160
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: C2 segment petrol sedan comparo. Under 10L

Voted for the Rapid because even the Ambition+ model is well equipped (2 airbags, ABS, music system with bluetooth and USB), has a very good Ride+Handling compromise, has very good build and fit n finish, awesome paint quality/finish, and looks premium.

In my opinion, it is a beautifully understated, elegant car. Love the Elegance alloys.

The general population also believe that the Rapid is premium car, even though it undercuts many others in the segment by offering perennial discounts, special editions and low-interest finance schemes.

Skoda ASS is not good, but it is not worse than that of Chevrolet (when I owned a Spark for five years), though that might change if there is a warranty claim. Recent comments by the India CEO do help me believe that things will get better on this front as well.
VeluM is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2014, 15:24   #161
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Verna Fluidic and here is my opinion why:

1. Space - Sunny, Scala, City, Verna

2. Handling - Fiesta, T-jet, Vento, Rapid

3. Outright Performance - T-jet, City, Verna

4. Mileage - City, CIaz (?), Verna

5. Equipment list - City, Verna

6. A.S.S - Ciaz, City, Verna,

7. Looks - Verna, City, T-jet

Though T-jet is the most fun inducing C2 segment car, I personally feel the Facelift has somewhat spoilt the Timeless design of the old Linea.

City is the best thing that has happened to C2 Segment. That I-Vtech engine is a gem and by far the fastest Car in this segment.

Verna is my Winner for VFM C2 Segment Car since I think with the sheer number of Engine & Variant options available along with almost in-distinguishable features list, no ther C2 segment gives so much Bang for Buck !!

My personal reason for choosing Verna over City is simply because this Korean car is/was the reason for an Automobile giant like Honda to re-think, re-plan and re-design their company strategy, at least in India.

Verna sure is not the best in each category, but rest assured one cannot completely eliminate it from any.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 11th September 2014 at 15:28.
Vik0728 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2014, 15:37   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
...Voted for the Rapid because even the Ambition+ model is well equipped (2 airbags, ABS, music system with bluetooth and USB), has a very good Ride+Handling compromise, has very good build and fit n finish, awesome paint quality/finish, and looks premium.

In my opinion, it is a beautifully understated, elegant car. Love the Elegance alloys.

How about the engine? The diesel is no doubt one of the best and quickest in the segment but ever got a chance to test drive the petrol?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Though T-jet is the most fun inducing C2 segment car, I personally feel the Facelift has somewhat spoilt the Timeless design of the old Linea.
+1 to that. Earlier it was by far the most attractive sedan/hatch(Punto). This new design doesn't really appeal(atleast to me) that way. *Pesonal opinion*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
City is the best thing that has happened to C2 Segment. That I-Vtech engine is a gem and by far the fastest Car in this segment.
117BHP is indeed way ahead of competition lying around in the ballpark region of 90-105BHP with NA engines. But then Verna 1.6VTVT is slight ahead with 121 BHP, not sure how is the real world performance though.

@Mods : Please remove Fiesta from the list. I totally forgot the new one doesnt have a petrol variant any more

Last edited by SoumenD : 11th September 2014 at 15:43.
SoumenD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2014, 18:35   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
With diesel being deregularized and petrol-diesel price gap narrowing to ~10Rs in most of the cities/town the interest in petrol cars is slowly coming back.

For a usage based comparison(between diesel and petrol), came across this link which gives a detailed enough spreadsheet based on usage.

http://aravindavk.in/diesel-vs-petrol-car/

For an average usage of 1000-1100 kms a month petrol cars seem to be easier on pocket if its used for around 5 years and the fuel price gap remains same.
Thanks a ton buddy. This little calculator is quite an eyeopener. I played around with the numbers and even with a monthly mileage of 3k, the break-even is in the third year and considering the resale value, one has to stick around with the car beyond the 5th year to get the differential.

Now coming to my typical usage of 60 kms to office and back, i shouldn't be thinking about a diesel at all, even after adding a thousand kms every month for outdoors. This diesel deregulation has really changed the market dynamics.

As far as the poll is concerned, i would vote for the Honda City albeit with a very very heavy heart. I don't think the car deserves as much attention as it gets now and the build quality is appalling to put it in mild terms. It however gives space, features and mileage that most considering this segment look for. Rather than 'being the best'; it is more of 'the best amongst the rest' It's indeed disheartening to see that we don't have an option worthy of the frivolous Honda City (pls don't advocate for Ciaz, it's yet to get launched and proven)
methecupid is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2014, 20:42   #164
Distinguished - BHPian

Haven't driven any of the cars listed there. But mind says ONLY ONE name from that list. Don't think I'll even try anything else unless something is seriously bad with this one product. "After all, there's more to life than kpl"!
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2014, 21:04   #165
BHPian

Cool Re: C2 segment petrol sedan comparo. Under 10L

Voted for Skoda Rapid - Besides the obvious reason of me owning one

1. Honda City - Everyone has one!
2. Nissan Sunny - Looks too bloated and boast like
3. Ford Fiesta - Looks good length wise but seems too narrow
4. Fiat Linea T-Jet - The new Linea, Looks gorgeous, classy cant be ruled out
5. Renault Scala - Sunny's cousin from the same stable
6. Volkswagen Vento(not the TSI) - Close but suspension a little on the soft side
7. Skoda Rapid -
8. Maruti Ciaz - Looks impeccable, Maruti VFM but from what i have heard and read so far little under powered
9. Hyundai Verna Fluidic - Interiors brilliant, Exteriors even better but novelty will wear off and not so fun to drive.

IMHO " When ever you park your car, and if you do not glance back and have a smile..you bought the wrong car! " and there still hasn't been a time i haven't turned around for my Rapid!

Last edited by GTO : 12th September 2014 at 08:49. Reason: Typos
KevinP is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction