Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans


View Poll Results: Verna Fluidic Vs Honda City Vs Fiat Tjet
Verna Fludic 1.6 62 16.10%
Honda City 129 33.51%
Fiat Tjet 185 48.05%
Any other option 9 2.34%
Voters: 385. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2011, 13:13   #91
BHPian
 
Tats07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 357
Thanked: 85 Times
Default Re: Honda City V-MT or Hyundai Verna Fluidic 1.6 crdi SX - Down right confused!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrenalinJunkie View Post
Why do you think i'm confused
I dont know financially which one is cheaper over a period of 5 years!!!!
If I were you, I would've closed my eyes and gone for the City, notwithstanding 5 year running costs. By the way, please PM me your contact details, I plan to take you along for negotiation when I buy a Honda, maybe after the facelift is launched. :-)
Tats07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2011, 13:35   #92
Distinguished - BHPian
 
drmohitg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 4,479
Thanked: 3,624 Times
Default Re: Honda City V-MT or Hyundai Verna Fluidic 1.6 crdi SX - Down right confused!!!!

Do keep in mind while calculating that the petrol price will increase even more during the next 5 years. Diesel even if deregulated will only see an increase of 6Rs. So with your kind of running I am not sure about a petrol vehicle.
Secondly to all those talking about Honda resale - " Please stop rubbing salt into our wounds". Honda resale is a myth. First they sell cars at a price point for years and then drop prices like crazy. Ask anyone who owns a City or Jazz about Honda resale and you will get to hear only abuse for the company. I am trying to sell off my NHC 2005 model and I am shocked to hear the prices being offered.
drmohitg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2011, 13:55   #93
Senior - BHPian
 
ashis89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,314
Thanked: 1,048 Times
Default Re: Honda City V-MT or Hyundai Verna Fluidic 1.6 crdi SX - Down right confused!!!!

With the kind of money you are saving on your initial investment I think City is the way you could go happily.

I calculated the running cost/km on a rough basis and found that you would be saving 2.5-3 INR/km on fuel. So with the kind of running you have,you would take 3.5-4yrs to breakeven.

But if the maintenance(Hyundais are quite expensive to maintain,Hondas are very cheap to maintain AFAIK) and interests on the initial money saved is taken into consideration,you may take longer to breakeven.

In the end of 6yrs,City will fetch you a decent resale compared to Verna.

Only if you are ok with higher fuel costs then you should grab the City quickly.

Last edited by ashis89 : 28th September 2011 at 13:56.
ashis89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2011, 14:33   #94
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 318
Thanked: 166 Times
Default Re: Honda City V-MT or Hyundai Verna Fluidic 1.6 crdi SX - Down right confused!!!!

Looks like you're not interested in lower segment cars like DZire & Etios, both of which have significant strengths and competent diesel mills. How do you feel like waiting for a Sunny diesel from Nissan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrenalinJunkie View Post
Price as per best quote

Honda City V MT - 9.65 lacs with reversing sensors thrown in
Hyundai Verna - 11.66 lacs and no discounts or freebees
Verna cost= 11.66 lacs + aftermarket suspension setup + Stanley padded seat covers

Now, does the City make more sense to you? Or is the whole confusion because of this?! But you never know which way the fuel prices will go! Is it worth investing so much more for a diesel, if your liking is more or less equal otherwise? But apparently, your heart is with Verna. If that's right, just go grab it!

Quote:
Ha ha, Poitive and myself are the 2 most ardent supporters of the Optra mate. It's undoubtedly a wonderful car with a stonker of an engine along with being a segment higher. Unfortunately the wife ruled it out quoting "Outdated model".
Hope the same is not the case with Fiesta Classic.
RadiantKarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2011, 14:35   #95
BHPian
 
kirantp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 384
Thanked: 129 Times
Default Re: Honda City V-MT or Hyundai Verna Fluidic 1.6 crdi SX - Down right confused!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrenalinJunkie View Post
Ha ha, not christmas DIWALI
Dealer - Whitefield Honda [after a lot of arm twisting though]
Hey I also got my UT Beauty (V MT) from the same dealer in March 2011 (before the price reduction) and paid a whopping 11.34L on road including accessories and freebees. Having said that, I am enjoying the ride having done 6.1K so far in 7 odd months.

Last edited by kirantp : 28th September 2011 at 14:39.
kirantp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2011, 14:42   #96
BHPian
 
kirantp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 384
Thanked: 129 Times
Default Re: Honda City V-MT or Hyundai Verna Fluidic 1.6 crdi SX - Down right confused!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tats07 View Post
I'm surprised as well. V-MT in Bangalore is 8,79,000 ex-showroom. Road tax is approx 1,51,000. Even if the insurance is free (31k odd), the figure comes to 10.30 on road. Are they offering 55K in discounts on ex-showroom to bring it to 9.65? That should be a steal!
Dude, I guess this the effect of the new facelift version thats coming out next month. So, Honda City sales of current version should get a good boost from now onwards till the end of the year.
kirantp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2011, 15:12   #97
BHPian
 
getsriram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 68
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: Honda City V-MT or Hyundai Verna Fluidic 1.6 crdi SX - Down right confused!!!!

Buddy,

There is no confusion which I can see here, except that your brain goes with City and mind goes with Verna

Financially, for the kind of requirements you have mentioned and the car retaining plan you have, it will not make sense to go for Verna. This is just based on current differential between petrol and diesel prices. But by chance the differential comes down (though both might go up), your interest rate for the additional 2 lacs and on top of it you add some suspensions and stanley stuff to it.... uff! no way... just go for City.

And one other important thing... I think one should not settle down for a car knowing it has some driving related pitfalls. I am sure 1-2 years after you buy verna, you would feel why did you spend more than 12 lacs on this car which handles poorly and I should have gone for the city itself.

City all the way man.
getsriram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2011, 15:19   #98
BHPian
 
AdrenalinJunkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 133
Thanked: 24 Times
Default Re: Honda City V-MT or Hyundai Verna Fluidic 1.6 crdi SX - Down right confused!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Do keep in mind while calculating that the petrol price will increase even more during the next 5 years. Diesel even if deregulated will only see an increase of 6Rs. So with your kind of running I am not sure about a petrol vehicle.
Secondly to all those talking about Honda resale - " Please stop rubbing salt into our wounds". Honda resale is a myth. First they sell cars at a price point for years and then drop prices like crazy. Ask anyone who owns a City or Jazz about Honda resale and you will get to hear only abuse for the company. I am trying to sell off my NHC 2005 model and I am shocked to hear the prices being offered.
Yeah, that usually happens with a discontinued model. Heck this even happens when a face lifted version comes out
AdrenalinJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2011, 15:29   #99
Distinguished - BHPian
 
drmohitg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 4,479
Thanked: 3,624 Times
Default Re: Honda City V-MT or Hyundai Verna Fluidic 1.6 crdi SX - Down right confused!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrenalinJunkie View Post
Yeah, that usually happens with a discontinued model. Heck this even happens when a face lifted version comes out
No what I was trying to refer to was the massive price cuts. Even a decade old qualis commands more price then some of the Honda cars. But anyways resale should never be a major player in buying a car.
drmohitg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2011, 16:24   #100
BHPian
 
AdrenalinJunkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 133
Thanked: 24 Times
Default

Note from Mod : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tats07 View Post
If I were you, I would've closed my eyes and gone for the City, notwithstanding 5 year running costs. By the way, please PM me your contact details, I plan to take you along for negotiation when I buy a Honda, maybe after the facelift is launched. :-)
Heh heh, sure but I doubt my negotiation skills would be of much use once a product comes in. Honda are notorious for not budging an inch!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
With the kind of money you are saving on your initial investment I think City is the way you could go happily.

I calculated the running cost/km on a rough basis and found that you would be saving 2.5-3 INR/km on fuel. So with the kind of running you have,you would take 3.5-4yrs to breakeven.

But if the maintenance(Hyundais are quite expensive to maintain,Hondas are very cheap to maintain AFAIK) and interests on the initial money saved is taken into consideration,you may take longer to breakeven.

In the end of 6yrs,City will fetch you a decent resale compared to Verna.

Only if you are ok with higher fuel costs then you should grab the City quickly.
What price of petrol did you use to calculate petrol running costs??

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Do keep in mind while calculating that the petrol price will increase even more during the next 5 years. Diesel even if deregulated will only see an increase of 6Rs. So with your kind of running I am not sure about a petrol vehicle.
Secondly to all those talking about Honda resale - " Please stop rubbing salt into our wounds". Honda resale is a myth. First they sell cars at a price point for years and then drop prices like crazy. Ask anyone who owns a City or Jazz about Honda resale and you will get to hear only abuse for the company. I am trying to sell off my NHC 2005 model and I am shocked to hear the prices being offered.
This is exactly what is busting me up!!! With the current price of petrol itself it's even stevens between the 2 cars. No telling what will happen 6 months down the line let alone 5 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirantp View Post
Hey I also got my UT Beauty (V MT) from the same dealer in March 2011 (before the price reduction) and paid a whopping 11.34L on road including accessories and freebees. Having said that, I am enjoying the ride having done 6.1K so far in 7 odd months.
The city is a wonderful car and had petrol prices stayed around the Rs 48-58 mark i would have bought it without a second thought. Sadly that is not the case now is it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsriram View Post
Buddy,

There is no confusion which I can see here, except that your brain goes with City and mind goes with Verna

Financially, for the kind of requirements you have mentioned and the car retaining plan you have, it will not make sense to go for Verna. This is just based on current differential between petrol and diesel prices. But by chance the differential comes down (though both might go up), your interest rate for the additional 2 lacs and on top of it you add some suspensions and stanley stuff to it.... uff! no way... just go for City.

And one other important thing... I think one should not settle down for a car knowing it has some driving related pitfalls. I am sure 1-2 years after you buy verna, you would feel why did you spend more than 12 lacs on this car which handles poorly and I should have gone for the city itself.

City all the way man.
I agree with you completely but the problem of price appreciation and the fact that the verna looks and feels more "posh" is creating problems for me. Afterall in bangalore we spend more time sitting idle inside our cars in jams than actually canning it on open roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
No what I was trying to refer to was the massive price cuts. Even a decade old qualis commands more price then some of the Honda cars. But anyways resale should never be a major player in buying a car.
Like i said in my opening post, resale value was never a concern for me since i plan to keep the car for atleast 5 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantKarma View Post
Looks like you're not interested in lower segment cars like DZire & Etios, both of which have significant strengths and competent diesel mills. How do you feel like waiting for a Sunny diesel from Nissan?
Hmmm, good option but does anyone have a clue when the diesel avatar is due??

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantKarma View Post
Verna cost= 11.66 lacs + aftermarket suspension setup + Stanley padded seat covers

Now, does the City make more sense to you? Or is the whole confusion because of this?! But you never know which way the fuel prices will go! Is it worth investing so much more for a diesel, if your liking is more or less equal otherwise? But apparently, your heart is with Verna. If that's right, just go grab it!


Hope the same is not the case with Fiesta Classic.
You got it right, the whole confusion is because of this. I wanna know which option works out cheaper in the long run. Banking on fuel prices is a risk that i am not able to take.

Last edited by GTO : 29th September 2011 at 11:03. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
AdrenalinJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 25th February 2012, 17:22   #101
BHPian
 
Poitive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: 3rdRockFmTheSun
Posts: 850
Thanked: 280 Times
Default Re: Honda City V-MT or Hyundai Verna Fluidic 1.6 crdi SX - Down right confused!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrenalinJunkie View Post
With my usage pattern and the instabilty hovering over fuel prices both petrol and diesel - which choice makes more sense and why. Please help me out with this!!!
Did you reach a decision AJ? Do update us with how things are proceeding.
Poitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2012, 16:21   #102
Senior - BHPian
 
sandeepmohan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Wellington
Posts: 1,944
Thanked: 1,624 Times
Default Re: Verna Fluidic 1.6 Vs Fiat Tjet Vs Honda City

Now that I own a Fiat Linea T Jet; I can comfortably say that it is THE car to own in its segment.

There is only one real negative, it is not as spacious or should I say space management is not as good as the Honda.
sandeepmohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2012, 19:06   #103
BHPian
 
raajks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BLR
Posts: 578
Thanked: 117 Times
Default Re: Verna Fluidic 1.6 Vs Fiat Tjet Vs Honda City

I owned a Honda City SMT for about 6 months.
I picked the car for its gem of an engine and transmission. The rev happy engine is a pure delight with no match in its segment.

The reason I sold the car was because of its pathetic rear torsion beam suspension (No offence meant to the City owners) set-up, if you are someone who needs the power but would use it ONLY on special occasions, go for the City.
However if you are someone who loves to attack corners, take the winding road and enjoy the sheer pleasure of driving it MUST be the T-jet plus.

The equipment levels in the T-jet plus is outstanding, the turbocharged engine is good not as good as the TSI but it brings forth a smile.

You would not go wrong with a City as if you decide to give her up there are plenty of buyers
BUT if you want a car to hold on to and drive your heart out, Linea T-jet plus IT is.

Last edited by raajks : 5th March 2012 at 19:11.
raajks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2012, 13:34   #104
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 134
Thanked: 27 Times
Default Re: Honda City V-MT or Hyundai Verna Fluidic 1.6 crdi SX - Down right confused!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirantp View Post
Dude, I guess this the effect of the new facelift version thats coming out next month. So, Honda City sales of current version should get a good boost from now onwards till the end of the year.
I had gone to Whitefield Honda yesterday and saw the "facelifted" 2012 model. According to the sales person, the only difference b/w 2011 and 2012 is the enhanced ground clearance : 165mm from the earlier 160mm.

However the prices are much higher!

Compared to OPs post that says 9.65 on road for V-MT in 2011, now it is 10.66L on road for a 2012 V-MT. One Lakh costlier!

Well - it appears Honda doesn't just cut prices, it also increases the prices when needed. (new model)
GenuineOptimist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2012, 14:14   #105
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 134
Thanked: 27 Times
Default Re: Verna Fluidic 1.6 Vs Fiat Tjet Vs Honda City

Time to revive this thread because I'm now in the market for a petrol sedan. I gathered the below prices when visited dealers for test drive.

I drive only 500-600kms maximum per month, so no need for Diesel.
I've eliminated Etios because I don't like the central dashboard.

I have not checked Verna yet.

My considerations are as below.
1 - ABS and Airbags are required
2 - Good interiors are required, we don't like cheap plastics.
3 - Additional creature comfort features are required such as arm rests, bottle holders, cup holders, storage in seat backs, cabin lights at the rear and you get the idea..
4 - Good resale value after 4 years. This is a company lease car and I'll most probably sell and hopefully upgrade after 4 years.

With the above in mind, we've also eliminated Tata Manza and Nissan Sunny because of point (2).

Now amongst, the ones left:

Does it make sense to pay nearly 1 lakh more for Honda City compared to Fiesta SXI?
How would the resale value of Fiesta classic be, after four years?
How is the mileage per litre for Fiat Linea compared to Honda City, SX4 and Fiesta?

I'm slightly veered towards the Fiesta classic SXI now because of better interiors but wondering on the above points. I request the help from experienced Team BHPians.

Also - I liked the high seating position and the commanding road presence of the SX4. The dealer has offered to give good discounts as well.

So between Fiat Linea petrol (not T-Jet), Honda City, Fiesta classic and SX4 - what would be the car for me. Request help from experienced team bhpians.
Attached Images
 

Last edited by GTO : 19th March 2012 at 13:21. Reason: Please do NOT use short-forms when referring to cars. Call them by their FULL names only
GenuineOptimist is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Old Verna vs Fluidic Verna : A Comparison amitwadhwa Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 13 10th July 2012 21:30
Fifth Fiat, Second Linea, First TJet vinay_ss Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 42 14th March 2012 09:26
TDI/Tjet/Vtec- And ending up with the punching bag! (Honda City S) skuz Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 20 18th October 2011 15:48


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:13.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks