Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans


View Poll Results: Laura TSi or Optra TCDi
Laura TSi (12.2 OTR) 25 43.10%
Optra TCDi (8.9 OTR) 33 56.90%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2011, 19:58   #46
BHPian
 
charthom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Cochin
Posts: 652
Thanked: 262 Times
Default Re: Confused, What to Buy: Laura TSi or Optra Magnum TCDi

Steer clear of Skoda and buy the Optra,mate!!

Optra sales have really picked up-it would be stupid for Chevrolet to shelf this car now!! Agreed she is a bit dated-but it will still give you peace of mind.

Don't bet by default that the resale value would be low after 5 years. Who can say what will happen after a few years? Out of the two cars you want to choose between,Optra is the better choice for the occasion. Best of luck.
charthom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2011, 21:40   #47
Distinguished - BHPian
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 4,698
Thanked: 3,889 Times
Default Re: Confused, What to Buy: Laura TSi or Optra Magnum TCDi

I guess both the cars will have pretty poor resale value. Is cost the only criteria to narrow down the choices to these two?

The Laura TSI does have the solid european build quality, but I will suggest to go with it only if (1) You have the means to cover the petrol bills (2) You have confidence in your local dealer.

Why don't you look at other options as well. As another bphian already mentioned (anshuman?) - why not the Linea T-Jet?
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2011, 11:35   #48
BHPian
 
Poitive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: 3rdRockFmTheSun
Posts: 850
Thanked: 280 Times
Default Re: Confused, What to Buy: Laura TSi or Optra Magnum TCDi

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Why not the Linea T-Jet then?

Handling- Leagues ahead of Optra and Cruze.
Steering- Best this side of BMW X1.
Had TD the Optra a few times. Linea MJD 2 times. The steering of the Linea had a lot of feedback (rather a bit too much for my liking, but that is personal). Handling at lower speeds was also very good in the Linea.

@.anshuman, did you find Linea's handling better than Optra and Cruze at high speeds also? Which car would you rather be in for three digit speeds.
Am asking this to get more views on it, as for me the preference was Cruze>Optra>Linea. It may have something to do with it being an MJD and not a T-Jet.
Poitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2011, 12:04   #49
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 941
Thanked: 256 Times
Default Re: Confused, What to Buy: Laura TSi or Optra Magnum TCDi

Considering your budget, I think your fight should be between:

1. Laura TSI -->12.1 OTR
2. Chevrolet Cruse--> 13.xx OTR

If you can afford it, go for a D segment car. Else, you can consider Linea T-Jet and Vento TDI too. Optra is very capable 'dated' car. You will get a feeling that you bought a last generation car.
Abhi_Automobile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2011, 12:24   #50
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: -
Posts: 508
Thanked: 386 Times
Default Re: Confused, What to Buy: Laura TSi or Optra Magnum TCDi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
Considering your budget, I think your fight should be between:

1. Laura TSI -->12.1 OTR
2. Chevrolet Cruse--> 13.xx OTR

If you can afford it, go for a D segment car. Else, you can consider Linea T-Jet and Vento TDI too. Optra is very capable 'dated' car. You will get a feeling that you bought a last generation car.
Thanks for the inputs Abhi -

Why not the Cruze?

1) Interior Space
2) Found the Turbo Lag issue more pronounced on the Cruze.
3) Somehow it doesn't appeal to me as a VFM product at it's price.
4) Maintenance would be higher.
5) Loosing out more money while selling it.

Why not T-Jet?

1) Fiat A$$, I am a bit scared.
2) For a price difference of 1.5 L OTR, I would anyday pick up the Laura TSi over it.


Why not the Vento?

1) Seems a lot overpriced in comparison to the Optra.
2) Interiors were not as spacious.
3) The pulling power and the engine as a whole of the Optra felt better.
4) If I was to compare the Optra LS with the Vento CL, I do not get the alloys, independent suspension, Music system.

As for the Optra "Feeling" a generation older, for me as a person, it does not hurt, as long as the engine and the mechanical bits do not betray my trust, I'll be more than happy to keep it with me for 7-8 years.

As for the design part, I would pick up the Optra any given day over the ANHV.

PS: The above mentioned thoughts are my perceptions about these vehicles with no offences intended to the existing owners.
Torquedo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2011, 13:50   #51
Team-BHP Support
 
.anshuman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Good-Gaon
Posts: 7,714
Thanked: 9,019 Times
Default Re: Confused, What to Buy: Laura TSi or Optra Magnum TCDi

@Torquedo: If you are so impressed with Magnum, go ahead and buy it!!
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2011, 14:13   #52
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: -
Posts: 508
Thanked: 386 Times
Default Re: Confused, What to Buy: Laura TSi or Optra Magnum TCDi

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
@Torquedo: If you are so impressed with Magnum, go ahead and buy it!!
@Anshuman: I am impressed, that is the exact reason why I am discussing it, just the fact that the Laura is available at an aggressive price it came into consideration and was the reason for initiating the poll.

I am actually looking for Optra and Laura owners to provide their valuable feedback.
Torquedo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2011, 14:19   #53
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 941
Thanked: 256 Times
Default Re: Confused, What to Buy: Laura TSi or Optra Magnum TCDi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
Thanks for the inputs Abhi -

Why not the Cruze?

1) Interior Space
2) Found the Turbo Lag issue more pronounced on the Cruze.
3) Somehow it doesn't appeal to me as a VFM product at it's price.
4) Maintenance would be higher.
5) Loosing out more money while selling it.

Why not T-Jet?

1) Fiat A$$, I am a bit scared.
2) For a price difference of 1.5 L OTR, I would anyday pick up the Laura TSi over it.


Why not the Vento?

1) Seems a lot overpriced in comparison to the Optra.
2) Interiors were not as spacious.
3) The pulling power and the engine as a whole of the Optra felt better.
4) If I was to compare the Optra LS with the Vento CL, I do not get the alloys, independent suspension, Music system.

As for the Optra "Feeling" a generation older, for me as a person, it does not hurt, as long as the engine and the mechanical bits do not betray my trust, I'll be more than happy to keep it with me for 7-8 years.

As for the design part, I would pick up the Optra any given day over the ANHV.

PS: The above mentioned thoughts are my perceptions about these vehicles with no offences intended to the existing owners.
I really like the fact that you are responding to most suggestions; clearing out your thoughts in the process

1. I think Cruze is tremendous VFM. You get a genuinely 'big' car at honest price. There are only two issues with it.
i. Its interior quality is no match for the superior Germans.
ii. Its not very spacious. It gives you a feeling of being slightly hammed
in.
2. Very well, if you are so concerned about Fiat A.S.S, chuck the T-Jet.
3. I found the Vento to be quite spacious. Its engine may be lil smaller than Magnum, but is great anyway. Its also a latest generation product. My pick for the diesel mid sized sedan over Fiesta,Verna and Magnum. There's no CL for Vento, there is only HL, which is has okayish feature list. Usually, the German cars are not the top dogs when it comes to feature lists.

If you are in no great hurry, wait for Jetta. According to ACI, the launch is on 17th Aug. No too far, is it! I expect it to be the segment leader in every which way possible.

Having said all this, if you like the Magnum so much, just buy it. There is nothing wrong with the car.
Abhi_Automobile is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2011, 14:39   #54
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Pune
Posts: 472
Thanked: 381 Times
Default Re: Confused, What to Buy: Laura TSi or Optra Magnum TCDi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
PS: The above mentioned thoughts are my perceptions about these vehicles with no offences intended to the existing owners.
Am seeing a lot of these statements now a days . People are getting touchier day by day, so you gotta be careful, eh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
@Torquedo: If you are so impressed with Magnum, go ahead and buy it!!
Just do it!
keyur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2011, 15:34   #55
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 125
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: Confused, What to Buy: Laura TSi or Optra Magnum TCDi

I voted for Optra. It seems to be the more practical choice(read diesel and considerably less maintenance costs).

But my heart screams "I want 160 bhp TSI". I have test driven TSI for some 10 kms. The refinement of this engine is something to admire(I compare it to civic). The push that it gives you every time you accelerate, the way it decelerates(brakes are very strong),the 'one with the car' feeling you get are all just class apart. It is out and out a TRUE DRIVER's CAR. I have never driven optra though.
princemanatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2011, 16:05   #56
Senior - BHPian
 
Sn1p3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,019
Thanked: 224 Times
Default Re: Confused, What to Buy: Laura TSi or Optra Magnum TCDi

If power is the only concern, I suggest Laura.
If frugal power then Optra.

If you linger on your decision you might end up more confused than elucidated.

Cheers!
Sn1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2011, 18:51   #57
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Pune
Posts: 472
Thanked: 381 Times
Default Re: Confused, What to Buy: Laura TSi or Optra Magnum TCDi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
If power is the only concern, I suggest Laura.
If frugal power then Optra.
Optra, Frugal power?
keyur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2011, 18:58   #58
BHPian
 
Poitive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: 3rdRockFmTheSun
Posts: 850
Thanked: 280 Times
Default Re: Confused, What to Buy: Laura TSi or Optra Magnum TCDi

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyur View Post
Optra, Frugal power?
Frugal on the paper from your wallet!
Poitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2011, 21:14   #59
Team-BHP Support
 
.anshuman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Good-Gaon
Posts: 7,714
Thanked: 9,019 Times
Default Re: Confused, What to Buy: Laura TSi or Optra Magnum TCDi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
@.anshuman, did you find Linea's handling better than Optra and Cruze at high speeds also? Which car would you rather be in for three digit speeds.
Am asking this to get more views on it, as for me the preference was Cruze>Optra>Linea. It may have something to do with it being an MJD and not a T-Jet.
Linea is a very involving car to drive, the agility and steering make it fun, the T-Jet version has performance to match too. My Drive in T-Jet was not very long but assuming it has same setup as MJD version and Punto, high speed composure will never be a problem to T-Jet.

I feel the T-Jet will depreciate even faster than the Magnum. Low speed ride is not as absorbent as Magnum but dynamics are superior.

One thing no one else pointed out here, the Magnum comes with more sophisticated(and more expensive to manufacture) Multilink Independent suspension compared to the Cruze which surprisingly comes with less sophisticated non-independent twist beam axle(a layout normally used in cars a segment below). Expectedly Magnum Rides better.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2011, 21:31   #60
BHPian
 
Poitive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: 3rdRockFmTheSun
Posts: 850
Thanked: 280 Times
Default Re: Confused, What to Buy: Laura TSi or Optra Magnum TCDi

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Linea is a very involving car to drive, the agility and steering make it fun, the T-Jet version has performance to match too. My Drive in T-Jet was not very long but assuming it has same setup as MJD version and Punto, high speed composure will never be a problem to T-Jet.

I feel the T-Jet will depreciate even faster than the Magnum. Low speed ride is not as absorbent as Magnum but dynamics are superior.

One thing no one else pointed out here, the Magnum comes with more sophisticated(and more expensive to manufacture) Multilink Independent suspension compared to the Cruze which surprisingly comes with less sophisticated non-independent twist beam axle(a layout normally used in cars a segment below). Expectedly Magnum Rides better.
I thought you had missed this post .anshuman!

The only thing I felt lacking significantly in the handling of the Optra was the sharp/quick feeling. It took a fraction longer to react. The feedback was lesser too. The Optra seems very composed over uneven roads as well.

The point for me was that at 3 digit speeds the Linea clearly felt less composed than the Optra. The Optra felt the safer car of the two - one in which you would be able to manage unexpected situations (sudden swerves) better. The Linea seemed very good till about 80-90ish. Very very good.

Given the short TD, were you able to take it to high enough speeds, or was it based on your experience and hence projection of what it was likely to be like.

I also must add that the Linea I drove, may possibly have been overinflated and that could have made a significant impact on the experience.

Edit: @Torquedo, Sorry for temporarily hijacking your thread, but knowing you, you would not mind it. And one never knows, after this discussion you would be starting a thread of Magnum Vs Linea

Last edited by Poitive : 13th July 2011 at 21:34.
Poitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chevrolet Optra Magnum TCDi ... My new love ..!! beanstalk_230 Long-Term Ownership Reviews 506 22nd January 2015 11:56
Test drive : Optra Magnum tcdi diesel cooldude1988765 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 350 15th October 2007 19:01


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:32.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks