Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans


View Poll Results: Laura TSi or Optra TCDi
Laura TSi (12.2 OTR) 25 43.10%
Optra TCDi (8.9 OTR) 33 56.90%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2011, 22:33   #61
Senior - BHPian
 
Sn1p3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,019
Thanked: 224 Times
Default

By frugal; I meant diesel and also initial sum.

Cheers!
Sn1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2011, 22:53   #62
Team-BHP Support
 
.anshuman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Good-Gaon
Posts: 7,714
Thanked: 9,033 Times
Default Re: Confused, What to Buy: Laura TSi or Optra Magnum TCDi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
I thought you had missed this post .anshuman!
I wanted to reply to your post in free time, hence the delay.

Quote:
The only thing I felt lacking significantly in the handling of the Optra was the sharp/quick feeling. It took a fraction longer to react. The feedback was lesser too. The Optra seems very composed over uneven roads as well.
Just like my previous car- the Hyundai Elantra CRDi(the finest handling Hyundai car our country has see + the only stiffly sprung Hyundai), Magnum comes with a slower steering which takes fun out of an already not so agile setup. Remember as cars get bigger they get more stable, but the agility of smaller cars is always superior. Only if Magnum and Elantra had faster steering like Civic and Laura, they would have been much more involving to drive.

Quote:
The point for me was that at 3 digit speeds the Linea clearly felt less composed than the Optra. The Optra felt the safer car of the two - one in which you would be able to manage unexpected situations (sudden swerves) better. The Linea seemed very good till about 80-90ish. Very very good.
Continuing the discussion from above- Linea is based on Punto, it comes with the exact same hardware but longer wheelbase, but the dynamics continue to be as youthful as smaller cars with great agility but overall stability might be better in Magnum owing to better hardware and remember it actually belongs a segment higher(It actually competed with previous gen cars like Octavia and Corolla). Overall high speed composure in Linea is very good, more so if you compare it to cars like Verna.

Quote:
Given the short TD, were you able to take it to high enough speeds, or was it based on your experience and hence projection of what it was likely to be like.
Remember i got my cousin a Linea MJD(posted somewhere on forum) some years back, while i have not driven the T-Jet much, i have spent some time with MJD.

Last edited by .anshuman : 13th July 2011 at 22:57.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2011, 01:31   #63
BHPian
 
Poitive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: 3rdRockFmTheSun
Posts: 850
Thanked: 280 Times
Default Re: Confused, What to Buy: Laura TSi or Optra Magnum TCDi

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
I wanted to reply to your post in free time, hence the delay.
Thanks for the inputs mate.

Quote:
Remember as cars get bigger they get more stable, but the agility of smaller cars is always superior. Only if Magnum and Elantra had faster steering like Civic and Laura, they would have been much more involving to drive.
Quote:
Continuing the discussion from above- Linea is based on Punto, it comes with the exact same hardware but longer wheelbase, but the dynamics continue to be as youthful as smaller cars with great agility but overall stability might be better in Magnum owing to better hardware and remember it actually belongs a segment higher(It actually competed with previous gen cars like Octavia and Corolla). Overall high speed composure in Linea is very good, more so if you compare it to cars like Verna.
Ah yes! I say that all the time. That Magnum is really a segment higher than the cars it competes with on price. It surely drives like one. Not too agile, but obeys commands rather well. Feels extremely good at higher speeds, despite the soft suspension (recently took another TD to check this). Lovely car this - not appreciated enough! But well, I am in love with car; and love blinds

PS: Do we have a comparo of the Optra and Laura diesels somewhere on the forum? It should be a good read.
Poitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2011, 00:12   #64
Senior - BHPian
 
oxyzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Not fixed.
Posts: 1,026
Thanked: 265 Times
Default Re: Confused, What to Buy: Laura TSi or Optra Magnum TCDi

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post

Just like my previous car- the Hyundai Elantra CRDi(the finest handling Hyundai car our country has see + the only stiffly sprung Hyundai), Magnum comes with a slower steering which takes fun out of an already not so agile setup. Remember as cars get bigger they get more stable, but the agility of smaller cars is always superior. Only if Magnum and Elantra had faster steering like Civic and Laura, they would have been much more involving to drive.
The quick steering is why I love SWIFT.

Going a little off topic here. What exactly is needed for good handling?
First it needs to be safe. That includes minimum body roll, pitch & yaw too (FiestaS), good high speed stability(Linea), and proper grip.
Then it has to be entertaining. A quick steering or in other words agility.(Swift) It is more important to me than feedback. Next is the low stance (Civic, Figo, Zen).

The Laura Handles like a dream. You can even dare to race with it on track.
oxyzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2011, 12:40   #65
Senior - BHPian
 
arnabchak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MH-04
Posts: 1,319
Thanked: 1,084 Times
Default Re: Confused, What to Buy: Laura TSi or Optra Magnum TCDi

I would suggest the Optra for more reasons that one:

1) You straigt away save over 3 l on the pruchase.
2) Skoda A$$ is infinitely worser than the GM.
3) Optra is an extremely sturdy car and having driven one for a long highway stretch (Aurangabad to Mumbai) did not result in even a wee bit of fatigue. it felt really stable even on high speeds.
4) Both the cars have poor resale value. However, in terms of depreciation loss, I believe Optra would have a comparatively lower erosion, considering its lower purchase cost.
arnabchak is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2011, 13:10   #66
Team-BHP Support
 
.anshuman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Good-Gaon
Posts: 7,714
Thanked: 9,033 Times
Default Re: Confused, What to Buy: Laura TSi or Optra Magnum TCDi

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
The quick steering is why I love SWIFT.

Going a little off topic here. What exactly is needed for good handling?
First it needs to be safe. That includes minimum body roll, pitch & yaw too (FiestaS), good high speed stability(Linea), and proper grip.
Then it has to be entertaining. A quick steering or in other words agility.(Swift) It is more important to me than feedback. Next is the low stance (Civic, Figo, Zen).

The Laura Handles like a dream. You can even dare to race with it on track.
Check out this thread: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/colle...influence.html
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chevrolet Optra Magnum TCDi ... My new love ..!! beanstalk_230 Long-Term Ownership Reviews 506 22nd January 2015 11:56
Test drive : Optra Magnum tcdi diesel cooldude1988765 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 350 15th October 2007 19:01


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:26.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks