Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2011, 15:33   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 13
Thanked: 2 Times
Default Hyundai Verna Fluidic Vs. Chevrolet Optra Magnum vs Chevrolet Cruze

I am bang in the middle. Neither swinging this way nor that. I just wanted to throw this to you guys to see what you think.

I am looking for a diesel car mostly for intercity travel. (I am going opt for the top end model)

The new Verna's build quality is much better than what it was earlier, but still seems to be a couple rungs lowers than the Optra Magnum's. The way the doors close and the noise being deadened as soon as the doors close still seems to be better in the Optra.

But feature-wise there is no beating the Verna.

The Hyundai guys quoted 12.07L keys in hand while the Chevy guys came up with 10.89L. (With rear parking sensor and camera)

Ideas?
soulweaver is offline  
Old 13th July 2011, 17:06   #2
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 207
Thanked: 24 Times
Default Re: Verna Fluidic Vs. Optra Magnum

If you're looking for intercity travel, ie. highway driving then discard the Verna from your list immediately. It is a good city car no doubt, but the Magnum is far more composed at highway speeds. Also im guessing you've looked at other cars in the segment but somehow have narrowed it down to these two. But if you havent then have a look at the new Fiesta as well. The Vento wouldnt be a bad choice either
radiokidb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2011, 17:22   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
mayankjha1806's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: BLR/Gurgaon
Posts: 2,133
Thanked: 820 Times
Default Re: Verna Fluidic Vs. Optra Magnum

Not knowing your priorities would make it difficult for me to recommend but with whatever information i have i would recommend the Verna as its a newer/fresher product as compared to the Optra and would in probability hold its value longer.

In service network, and A.S.S i would consider the Hyundai to be better.
mayankjha1806 is offline  
Old 13th July 2011, 17:27   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
download2live's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,103
Thanked: 387 Times
Default Re: Verna Fluidic Vs. Optra Magnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulweaver View Post
The new Verna's build quality is much better than what it was earlier, but still seems to be a couple rungs lowers than the Optra Magnum's. The way the doors close and the noise being deadened as soon as the doors close still seems to be better in the Optra.

But feature-wise there is no beating the Verna.
You have already answered your question.
Verna comes loaded but the question is how many of these are important?

I will prefer a car which does few things very well rather than try to do all things just for the sake of trying.
download2live is offline  
Old 13th July 2011, 18:13   #5
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: ERNAKULAM
Posts: 947
Thanked: 317 Times
Default Re: Verna Fluidic Vs. Optra Magnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiokidb View Post
If you're looking for intercity travel, ie. highway driving then discard the Verna from your list immediately,the Magnum is far more composed at highway speeds.
I completely agree with this statement above. For highway drives its better to go for the heavier car with a Hydraulic power steering. Electronic power steering still has a long way to go before they can challenge Hydraulic power steering systems.
drpullockaran is offline  
Old 13th July 2011, 18:18   #6
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 555
Thanked: 180 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulweaver
I am bang in the middle. Neither swinging this way nor that. I just wanted to throw this to you guys to see what you think.

I am looking for a diesel car mostly for intercity travel. (I am going opt for the top end model)

The new Verna's build quality is much better than what it was earlier, but still seems to be a couple rungs lowers than the Optra Magnum's. The way the doors close and the noise being deadened as soon as the doors close still seems to be better in the Optra.

But feature-wise there is no beating the Verna.

The Hyundai guys quoted 12.07L keys in hand while the Chevy guys came up with 10.89L. (With rear parking sensor and camera)

Ideas?
Please check the new Ford Fiesta as well. Optra is a spacious car and good engine. But it also depends on your usage. If you are looking at a jack of all kind of car Fiesta fits the bill. Am also looking to buy a diesel car in 10 to 12L segment. Since I am not that tall, Optra does not feature in the top. I personally checked the new Fiesta and ticks lots of boxes for me.
prabhuferrari is offline  
Old 13th July 2011, 18:24   #7
BHPian
 
Poitive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: 3rdRockFmTheSun
Posts: 850
Thanked: 280 Times
Default Re: Verna Fluidic Vs. Optra Magnum

Verna:
Suited to city driving, lot of gizmos, ride and handling not suited to high speed (IMO), game like steering without any feedback. Fresh and good looking, especially from the rear. Design and finish of interiors is pretty good in the front. Rear is very claustrophobic and rear seats aren't comfortable. May hold value better, but you spend more to start with. Good boot.

Optra:
Dated cabin design, though airy (not at all claustrophobic), good finish interiors, excellent ride (all independent suspension), good handling, huge torque (needs a bit of getting used to) which is thrilling to say the least, more than ample power too, extremely comfortable seats (both front and rear), good ergonomics on the whole (except the indicator stalks on the 'wrong' side), happily seat three in the rear, smallish boot.

For Inter-city travel, even if they were at the same price, I would suggest the Optra. The Verna really isn't suited for high speed highway driving. For someone like me, I would opt for the Optra even for Intra-city drives! The ride and high speed composure of this car is amazing, especially for the price.

You may discuss this at the following threads I had started:

Spacious Diesel Sedan thread (Choosing a Spacious Diesel Sedan upto 12L)

Driven Thread

Going through ownership threads of both should be of immense value.

Edit: Aah yes, the New Fiesta should be good too, if you are not going to be chauffeured around. Fluidic too isn't suitable for being driven around.
Edit 2: Had checked out the New Fiesta. Report here (Ford Fiesta : Test Drive & Review)
Welcome to this wonderful forum mate

Last edited by Poitive : 13th July 2011 at 18:27.
Poitive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2011, 19:04   #8
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 13
Thanked: 2 Times
Default Re: Verna Fluidic Vs. Optra Magnum

Thank you all for the inputs!

So there is a lot that seems to be going for the Optra considering I am planning on spending equal time driving and being driven. But then, three is something in me that is holding me back.

Is the price I quoted good enough for the Optra? The dealer seemed disinclined to go down further. I liked the car for the power. The Verna barring the gizmos and the cabin, doesn't really appeal to be.

I really really am confused!
soulweaver is offline  
Old 13th July 2011, 19:32   #9
BHPian
 
Poitive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: 3rdRockFmTheSun
Posts: 850
Thanked: 280 Times
Default Re: Verna Fluidic Vs. Optra Magnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulweaver View Post
I am planning on spending equal time driving and being driven.
---------
The Verna barring the gizmos and the cabin, doesn't really appeal to be.
Don't know if you read the TD on the Driven! thread. I really do NOT see the Verna as a car to be driven in at all.

If you aren't against the idea that you are buying a car which is old (engine about 5 years, chassis a lot more), which is very capable, it is pretty simple. For your needs, the Optra.

The poor resale talk about the Optra seems to be based more on the Petrol version. Check the threads to get some more inputs mate. There is a lot that has been written about these cars, especially the Optra.
Poitive is offline  
Old 13th July 2011, 20:00   #10
BHPian
 
sreejinair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Aurangabad
Posts: 171
Thanked: 33 Times
Default Re: Verna Fluidic Vs. Optra Magnum

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Typing a message which is not a value-addition to the topic being discussed, or is just entirely irrelevant is considered as “Spam” on this community. Spamming is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 15th July 2011 at 23:26.
sreejinair is offline   Received Infraction
Old 13th July 2011, 20:05   #11
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 245
Thanked: 72 Times
Default Re: Verna Fluidic Vs. Optra Magnum

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Typing a message which is not a value-addition to the topic being discussed, or is just entirely irrelevant is considered as “Spam” on this community. Spamming is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 17th July 2011 at 13:44.
akhilesh is offline   Received Infraction
Old 14th July 2011, 10:55   #12
BHPian
 
NoRules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 226
Thanked: 57 Times
Default Re: Verna Fluidic Vs. Optra Magnum

I am in exactly the same predicament but my choices are NFF v/s Optra Magnum. I did not TD the New Fiesta and as of last night was thinking that if Titanium model of NFF is priced less than 11 lakhs, I might prefer it over Optra. Incase NFF is priced more than 11 lakhs, sreejinair's experience not withstanding,I might go for Optra. The decision in favor of Fiesta will be subject to a satisfactory TD.
NoRules is offline  
Old 14th July 2011, 12:38   #13
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,661
Thanked: 1,389 Times
Default Re: Verna Fluidic Vs. Optra Magnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
I completely agree with this statement above. For highway drives its better to go for the heavier car with a Hydraulic power steering. Electronic power steering still has a long way to go before they can challenge Hydraulic power steering systems.
Even Beemer had ESP and so do many new gen cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Don't know if you read the TD on the Driven! thread. I really do NOT see the Verna as a car to be driven in at all.

If you aren't against the idea that you are buying a car which is old (engine about 5 years, chassis a lot more), which is very capable, it is pretty simple. For your needs, the Optra.

The poor resale talk about the Optra seems to be based more on the Petrol version. Check the threads to get some more inputs mate. There is a lot that has been written about these cars, especially the Optra.
My friend has a 40k run Optra which is 3years for sale. The best quoet he got was 4.5lac and he is selling coz of issues which I think is coz of bad

I also have a friend who had budget to get the Cruze but went for Optra since its VFM.

Yes, Optra is outdated but its engine is the killer. See if you can get 3 year warranty package which takes care of all stuff.

Verna is the one IMHO that you should buy if you intend to race a lot on highway.
jkdas is offline  
Old 14th July 2011, 15:17   #14
Team-BHP Support
 
.anshuman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Good-Gaon
Posts: 7,714
Thanked: 8,992 Times
Default Re: Verna Fluidic Vs. Optra Magnum

@Soulweaver- You may find this other discussion on Magnum useful: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...um-tcdi-5.html (Confused, What to Buy: Laura TSi or Optra Magnum TCDi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post

Verna is the one IMHO that you should buy if you intend to race a lot on highway.
I disagree, i feel Magnum is more suited to high speed usage since it is about as fast as the Verna and has far superior high speed manners.

Last edited by .anshuman : 14th July 2011 at 15:18.
.anshuman is offline  
Old 14th July 2011, 15:50   #15
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,746
Thanked: 7,959 Times
Default Re: Verna Fluidic Vs. Optra Magnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Verna is the one IMHO that you should buy if you intend to race a lot on highway.
I completely disagree. Verna is not a great car for high speed highway runs and especially if you put in comparison with an Optra which is far superior with regards to highway manners

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulweaver View Post
Is the price I quoted good enough for the Optra? The dealer seemed disinclined to go down further. I liked the car for the power. The Verna barring the gizmos and the cabin, doesn't really appeal to be.
Predicament is truly understandable. Fresh release vs. old released car. But, if long list of features is not your top priority but, then Optra is the right car for you since you plan to use it extensively for inter city travel.

Besides, you also plan to be driven and Optra rear bench is way better than the Verna

If you need any help on negotiation, PM me, I know someone in KUN Chevy and can try to get you a better deal that what you already got.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Driven! Vento, Optra, Linea, SX4, Manza. EDIT: Fluidic Verna (pg4), New Fiesta (Pg5) Poitive Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 117 25th February 2012 02:04
Chevrolet Cruze or the Chevrolet Optra - Which car and why? blueorchid Sedans 105 18th November 2011 10:03
Civic, Octavia, Cruze, Optra Magnum, Corolla Altis - what tyre for 17" alloys? opendro Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 0 4th October 2010 18:26
Query : Captiva/ Cruze VGT project for Optra Magnum mygarbage2000 Modifications & Accessories 16 24th June 2010 22:35


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:56.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks