Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 11th February 2006, 10:00   #1
BHPian

Default help on 2nd hand sedan !!!

My son needs a second hand sedan and my budget is around 2-2.5L.He has shortlisted on esteem , astra(1.6) and cielo. he doesnt want a hatch because he is going to install a good soundsystem(woofer amp etc...) so he needs boot space. Mileage is not a major concern but i would be happy if it is 8+kpl...
I am sure spares will be a problem on the astra and the cielo...
help at the earliest as my son is after me from the past 2 weeks

Last edited by ported_head : 11th February 2006 at 13:12.
tsreekaranrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2006, 10:02   #2
Senior - BHPian

Of the three, u've mentioned u can get a good MPFI esteem for that price.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2006, 10:09   #3
Senior - BHPian

Esteem is a good choice.. you will not have the problem with the spares or the mileage..
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2006, 10:56   #4
BHPian

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]There is a 1999 esteem VX with gas kit and a performance exhaust with K&N filter. Accident free and good service history at authourised service station.60,000km on odo.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Accessories include 2 jbl component speakers, jbl amp with jbl 1200watt woofer, pioneer mp3 player, leather seat covers and Aura alloy wheels with 4 fairly new Michelin tubeless radials...[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]PRICE=Rs.2,60,000[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Shall I go for it or is the price too high???[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]One more thing is that the owner claims the engine is mpfi but did maruti launch the mpfi engine in 1999 ???
[/SIZE][/FONT]
Old 11th February 2006, 11:02   #5
Senior - BHPian

A hatch is very good for installing a good sound system..IMO get a hatch if ur planning to get the subs, amps etc.
karthik247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2006, 11:07   #6
Team-BHP Support

My head would vote for the Esteem - spares etc.. my Heart would vote for the Astra - build quality. If you son tends to drive fast get the Astra in a crash it is the safest.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2006, 11:39   #7
BHPian

My son is a very safe driver not a single accident from the time he started driving at the age of 15 .So no problem safety wise. I hope someone woul advice soon on the 1999 esteem...
I feel cars like that would sell fast
Old 11th February 2006, 11:56   #8
BHPian

you could even get a 2000 baleno for around 2.5L - its a great option vs the esteem if you ask me ....

maybe even a lancer at 3L ...

but then these are delhi prices - wud be more in hyd
goldie_malhotra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2006, 12:51   #9
BHPian

The baleno is a good option, its less dated and one of the most reliable.However in 2.5 you can even get the accent 2000 model or better still a decently run ikon or lancer (higher side),try automartindia, they give good cars slightly xpensive but with warranty of 6 months just incase.

Esteem is a seriously old war horse, IMO Baleno or accent..all the best with your decision
TRANSAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2006, 13:52   #10
Senior - BHPian

The Esteem is a bad deal. Gas conversions are questionable, the car is carbed, and it's done some klicks. And the price is way too high as well.

If it's a VX, not a VXi, then it's carbed. Just check the engine bay.

You could go in for a Baleno. Nice car, safer than the Esteem. Also quicker, and more powerful, and I think more fuel-efficient too.

Your son may be a safe driver, but I'm sorry to say if you allowed him to drive at 15, I can't say the same for you.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2006, 16:06   #11
BHPian

Default My sincere advice

I personally think that a good sound system works in a Hatch also.
Go for the Ford Ikon or Lancer.As Esteem ,Astra and Cielo are really outdated. One of my friend has a Santro Xing in which he has put a excellent music system and modified it like a sports car.
So think carefully before u go for a car.
shiva_cool87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2006, 17:08   #12
Exo
BHPian

My choice would be moded baleno as allways but considering he will probably be interested in showing of a bit, lancer seems the way to go.OPfcourse that could be a generlization.

BTW, no personal remarks intended buty IMHO it's much safer to known the kid is driving and do so safely rather than having to steal the keys and sneak out. Judging from my old neighbers creamed starlet anyway, lol.
Exo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2006, 17:43   #13
Senior - BHPian

yea why dont you look at some used balenos.its safer than the esteem and also more powerful as viper said.so this way hell get his share of power both in terms of watts and BHP...!!

rev
revtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2006, 17:50   #14
BHPian

Early 2000 black baleno top end 83k on odo decent sound system(pioneer mp3 head,JBL component speakers at the back and pioneer speakers up front, pioneer 4 way amp and 800W pioneer woofer),alloys etc... Price 2.80L good service history from dealer and accident free(it is my friend's car so no issues of rough use). How much can i bargain on the price.
My friend claims a mileage of 12 in city (can it be true) with a/c(i.e with petrol) i forgot to mention he also has an RTO approved gas kit installed from the dealer itself...
What are the performance mods i can get for the baleno. I found the power more than enough but my son is insisting on getting a K&N filter atleast. Is it advisable.
There is no way i am buying a lancer because my neighbour has one and he finds A.S.S. pathetic !!!
Old 11th February 2006, 17:59   #15
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsreekaranrao
Early 2000 black baleno top end 83k on odo decent sound system(pioneer mp3 head,JBL component speakers at the back and pioneer speakers up front, pioneer 4 way amp and 800W pioneer woofer),alloys etc... Price 2.80L good service history from dealer and accident free(it is my friend's car so no issues of rough use). How much can i bargain on the price.
My friend claims a mileage of 12 in city (can it be true) with a/c(i.e with petrol) i forgot to mention he also has an RTO approved gas kit installed from the dealer itself...
What are the performance mods i can get for the baleno. I found the power more than enough but my son is insisting on getting a K&N filter atleast. Is it advisable.
There is no way i am buying a lancer because my neighbour has one and he finds A.S.S. pathetic !!!
The price is good , however u can try bargaining from 2.5L .. Yes baleno is actually quite a FE car owing to the low end torque it has .. If ur looking at performance mods 1st the gas kit has to go out of the car .. Getting a K&N wont affect unless the install is bad .. U could also look at a freeflow & headers to give that added zip to the old soul .. The 2000 models have the original JAP engines .. So go for it with ur eyes closed .. Just make sure u take a trustworthy mech along before the purchase just incase ..
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote