Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2011, 04:52   #1
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Pune
Posts: 55
Thanked: 11 Times
Default ANHC SMT or ANHC EMT with Caska HU

We are looking to buy a new Honda City and have mostly settled on the SMT, but I still wanted to start this discussion and see what others think.

The price difference between the EMT and SMT models is ~80K. I spoke to a dealer in Pune and he gave me the following approximate costs if I wanted to add a Caska HU along with Speakers and a backup camera:

Caska HU for an EMT, with backup camera: 53K
Speakers [JBLGTO 6086C]: 15K

He said that a central locking system can only be installed externally and did not mention anything about the warranty becoming void if done outside. He said one could be had outside for 3K.

If you add that up, it comes to: 71K. About 9K cheaper than an SMT. You also get the following benefits going the EMT route:

- CD/DVD Player [to play any file type you can think of - thx charthom for the review ]
- A GPS Navigation System
- A backup camera
- Better quality speakers [I think - not sure about that]

What you lose and cannot get done after-market:

- Height adjustable Driver seat
- Steering mounted audio controls
- Passenger side seat back pocket
- Cup holder in rear seat arm rest
- Chrome plated hand brake knob
- Silver finish steering panel
- Passenger Vanity Mirror [can be done after market?]
- Center console high arm rest [not sure what this is]

None of the above features are really critical for me.

Seems like the EMT is the way to go, but I'm having a tough time convincing Dad. What do you guys think?
alam86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 15:24   #2
BHPian
 
revintup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kottaym
Posts: 381
Thanked: 242 Times
Default Re: ANHC SMT or ANHC EMT with Caska HU

Go for the SMT.Aftermarket fittings will be cheaper but may not be as reliable in the long run.
Seat height adjust is a must have.Goes a long way in improving driving comfort ,especially on long drives.

centre console armrest is the driver's armrest.Is good but in some cars tend to foul with the elbow while shifting.
revintup is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 16:44   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
bluevolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 2,963
Thanked: 2,211 Times
Default Re: ANHC SMT or ANHC EMT with Caska HU

Quote:
Originally Posted by alam86 View Post

Seems like the EMT is the way to go, but I'm having a tough time convincing Dad. What do you guys think?

If any person wishes to upgrade Honda City's ICE then E trim is the right variant. You can definitely go ahead with EMT and get the caska unit installed.

But as you know you cannot get height adjustable seats and steering mounted audio controls retrofitted. You can get security system from outside without any issue. Check if Honda people have their own brand or try to get it fitted from the showroom to avoid warranty issues.

Go ahead with EMT and Congrats for choosing Honda City.

Last edited by bluevolt : 22nd July 2011 at 16:49.
bluevolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 17:29   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
mayankk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 4,115
Thanked: 3,489 Times
Default Re: ANHC SMT or ANHC EMT with Caska HU

Just on the stereo front,I auditioned the Caska for vento, and a component wise equal bespoke capability dvd-BT/touchscreen/mapmyindia/sensor-camera system.
the caska is veeeeery veeery slow, comparatively.

Caska:52k
Bespoke:48k.
OE speakers(pre-installed)
No warranty voided in either case.
mayankk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 18:30   #5
Distinguished - BHPian
 
libranof1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: All over!
Posts: 3,736
Thanked: 2,853 Times
Default Re: ANHC SMT or ANHC EMT with Caska HU

Since you plan to fit Caska, there is absolutely no point in taking SMT.

Of the extra features in SMT, the only thing you'll "miss" is steering mounted controls.

All the chrome and silver etc. isn't of much value. As for the security system, you can get it installed at Honda itself.

Passenger vanity mirror can be fit after-market; the centre arm-rest is the one in between the fron seats (above the handbrake); you'll lose some storage place here.

My suggestion : got for EMT and splurge on customization.
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 19:33   #6
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 941
Thanked: 256 Times
Default Re: ANHC SMT or ANHC EMT with Caska HU

Can you survive ANHC EMT's low rent interiors? AFAIK, the ANHC EMT comes with the 'greige' coloured interior that all the ANHC models come with originally. A year down the line, they upgraded the funny and substandard looking 'greige' with proper 'beige' colour. Not that I am a big fan of the beige in ANHC, it is a proper standard colour. If the ANHC EMT also comes with 'black+beige' colour combo, go for it. If it still comes with the earlier 'cheapster' colour, stick with the standard SMT.
Abhi_Automobile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 19:38   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
bluevolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 2,963
Thanked: 2,211 Times
Default Re: ANHC SMT or ANHC EMT with Caska HU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
Can you survive ANHC EMT's low rent interiors? AFAIK, the ANHC EMT comes with the 'greige' coloured interior that all the ANHC models come with originally. A year down the line, they upgraded the funny and substandard looking 'greige' with proper 'beige' colour. Not that I am a big fan of the beige in ANHC, it is a proper standard colour. If the ANHC EMT also comes with 'black+beige' colour combo, go for it. If it still comes with the earlier 'cheapster' colour, stick with the standard SMT.
But how does that matters? Upholstery can be changed by the owner anytime. Most people go for leather/art leather seat covers of their choice and color. Rest dashboard color etc is same across variants I guess.

PS - EMT still comes with greyish fabric seat covers.

Last edited by bluevolt : 22nd July 2011 at 19:40.
bluevolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 19:54   #8
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 941
Thanked: 256 Times
Default Re: ANHC SMT or ANHC EMT with Caska HU

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
But how does that matters? Upholstery can be changed by the owner anytime. Most people go for leather/art leather seat covers of their choice and color. Rest dashboard color etc is same across variants I guess.

PS - EMT still comes with greyish fabric seat covers.
The colour scheme make it look outright downmarket. Of course, the upholstery can be changed, but not the colour.
Abhi_Automobile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 23:49   #9
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Pune
Posts: 55
Thanked: 11 Times
Default Re: ANHC SMT or ANHC EMT with Caska HU

Quote:
Originally Posted by revintup View Post
Go for the SMT.Aftermarket fittings will be cheaper but may not be as reliable in the long run.
Seat height adjust is a must have.Goes a long way in improving driving comfort ,especially on long drives.

centre console armrest is the driver's armrest.Is good but in some cars tend to foul with the elbow while shifting.

We actually did finalize on the SMT. Dad handed over the cheque today. I don't want to say I'm sad - I'm really happy about it, but I think I'm going to miss the Caska HU along with the backup camera.

Dad felt the same way as you - he did not want to fit anything in after market. He wanted all 'original Honda' fitments with the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
If any person wishes to upgrade Honda City's ICE then E trim is the right variant. You can definitely go ahead with EMT and get the caska unit installed.

But as you know you cannot get height adjustable seats and steering mounted audio controls retrofitted. You can get security system from outside without any issue. Check if Honda people have their own brand or try to get it fitted from the showroom to avoid warranty issues.

Go ahead with EMT and Congrats for choosing Honda City.
Thanks bluevolt! I actually did not want to upgrade the ICE as such - I was just looking for options. The only must-have is a music system. With the Caska, the other things that come with it are a bonus, although it still ends up being cheaper than the SMT.

I did speak to the dealer about the Security System and he said they do not sell/fit security systems. It needs to be done outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Since you plan to fit Caska, there is absolutely no point in taking SMT.

Of the extra features in SMT, the only thing you'll "miss" is steering mounted controls.

All the chrome and silver etc. isn't of much value. As for the security system, you can get it installed at Honda itself.

Passenger vanity mirror can be fit after-market; the centre arm-rest is the one in between the fron seats (above the handbrake); you'll lose some storage place here.

My suggestion : got for EMT and splurge on customization.
to pretty much everything you say here. Unfortunately, the fact that everything would need to be done after-market did not sit well with the decision-maker [Dad ].

He will be the one using the car mostly, so I'm actually fine with his decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
Can you survive ANHC EMT's low rent interiors? AFAIK, the ANHC EMT comes with the 'greige' coloured interior that all the ANHC models come with originally. A year down the line, they upgraded the funny and substandard looking 'greige' with proper 'beige' colour. Not that I am a big fan of the beige in ANHC, it is a proper standard colour. If the ANHC EMT also comes with 'black+beige' colour combo, go for it. If it still comes with the earlier 'cheapster' colour, stick with the standard SMT.
I actually prefer the greyish interior to the beige one. For whatever reason - I'm not a big fan of beige [or chrome for that matter]. I was hoping there would be other options for the interior colors, but no such luck! We are getting art leather seats though - the two toned ones, so hopefully that reduces the beige effect.
alam86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2011, 08:07   #10
Team-BHP Support
 
noopster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 8,665
Thanked: 9,196 Times
Default Re: ANHC SMT or ANHC EMT with Caska HU

alam, I toyed with the idea of upgrading my Vento ICE to Caska for quite a while but in the end stuck with the stock. Reason: I simply don't see the value in paying 50K odd for a Chinese brand that delivers on OE look sure, but may be so-so in SQ and other departments.

I sincerely believe height-adjustable driver's seat is something you will bady miss if you go with the E, along with steering-mounted controls. The rest of the features are feel-good ones.

'Twere up to me, I'd say go with the higher variant. Stick with the the stock ICE till warranty expires, then go with your dream HU! All the best.
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2011, 12:09   #11
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Pune
Posts: 55
Thanked: 11 Times
Default Re: ANHC SMT or ANHC EMT with Caska HU

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
alam, I toyed with the idea of upgrading my Vento ICE to Caska for quite a while but in the end stuck with the stock. Reason: I simply don't see the value in paying 50K odd for a Chinese brand that delivers on OE look sure, but may be so-so in SQ and other departments.

I sincerely believe height-adjustable driver's seat is something you will bady miss if you go with the E, along with steering-mounted controls. The rest of the features are feel-good ones.

'Twere up to me, I'd say go with the higher variant. Stick with the the stock ICE till warranty expires, then go with your dream HU! All the best.
Well, wouldn't the sound quality have depended on the speakers? EMT does not come with speakers, and I had considered getting it setup with the best speakers the dealer had [JBLGTO 6086C].

I'm not sure I'd miss the steering mounted controls. I think they're a nice to have. I have them on my Camry here and I think I could live without them. It is not too difficult to increase the volume/move to the next/previous song through the HU.

You're right about the height adjustable seat. We'd surely miss that.

It feels like there are more and more GPS enabled touch screen HU's coming into the market. I had just heard about Caska until a few weeks ago [from Charthom's thread]. Then heard about a few others from other threads on T-BHP. This thread has a mention of Bespoke [thanks Mayankk ]. Maybe it does make sense to wait a few months to see how the market looks for GPS/Bluetooth enabled HUs. They may get cheaper too!
alam86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2011, 08:57   #12
BHPian
 
charthom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Cochin
Posts: 652
Thanked: 262 Times
Default Re: ANHC SMT or ANHC EMT with Caska HU

Quote:
Originally Posted by alam86 View Post
We actually did finalize on the SMT. Dad handed over the cheque today. I don't want to say I'm sad - I'm really happy about it.
Congrats,alarm86. very wise decision. the car is basically for travelling and an ANHC is for travelling comfortably. Definitely SMT is the better choice.


Quote:
but I think I'm going to miss the Caska HU along with the backup camera.
If budget permits you may consider Caska or any other after market unit later. It is not really worth missing-IMHO.

BTW,thanks for the kind words on me. Really nice of you.

Come back soon with your ownership report-and weather permitted,a bootful of snaps too.

Best of luck,Buddy.
charthom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2011, 12:35   #13
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Pune
Posts: 55
Thanked: 11 Times
Default Re: ANHC SMT or ANHC EMT with Caska HU

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
Congrats,alarm86. very wise decision. the car is basically for travelling and an ANHC is for travelling comfortably. Definitely SMT is the better choice.




If budget permits you may consider Caska or any other after market unit later. It is not really worth missing-IMHO.

BTW,thanks for the kind words on me. Really nice of you.

Come back soon with your ownership report-and weather permitted,a bootful of snaps too.

Best of luck,Buddy.
Thanks for checking this thread out Charthom! You really made me think hard about getting an EMT with Caska. You're right - we could still get Caska or anything new/better that comes out later, but that would mean the existing audio device would become useless. Oh well - no time to worry about that when a new SMT is on its way
alam86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2011, 20:55   #14
BHPian
 
nitin.rai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 327
Thanked: 235 Times
Default

Folks, after much thought have finalized upon the ANHC AT. The dealer final offer is 9.8 lacs OTR Delhi with zero dep insurance.

A few questions which the experts may help me decide/reaffirm-
- is there a way to go for factory fitted leather aka exclusive variant without all the chrome jazz? Or is it better to go for Stanley after market - am just averse to losing out on some mms taken up by after markets and also all the cutting and taking off the seat involved.
- wants the best tyre upgrade on the stock alloys without voiding warranty? Ride comfort is preferred.
- is there a way to cut down the tyre / suspension noise by dampening the interiors? Any references in NCR where the job would be done without any grease monkey after effects?

On a side note, the colors going to be silver for ease of maintenance. Wish could get an AT without all that chrome garnish!
Any other suggestions? I prefer keeping my vehicles as stock and oem.
nitin.rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2011, 21:05   #15
Distinguished - BHPian
 
libranof1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: All over!
Posts: 3,736
Thanked: 2,853 Times
Default Re: ANHC SMT or ANHC EMT with Caska HU

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin.rai View Post
is there a way to go for factory fitted leather aka exclusive variant without all the chrome jazz? Or is it better to go for Stanley after market - am just averse to losing out on some mms taken up by after markets and also all the cutting and taking off the seat involved.
Try talking to the dealer about it; he might just budge. Dealers can manage such things. Else, Stanley it is. The ANHC has a decent leg room so don't worry about the few mms.

Quote:
- wants the best tyre upgrade on the stock alloys without voiding warranty? Ride comfort is preferred.
I don't think the handful members who've undertaken tyre upgrade have reported considerable improvement in ride comfort - which as such is pretty good.

Quote:
- is there a way to cut down the tyre / suspension noise by dampening the interiors?
Maybe thicker floor mats.

Quote:
On a side note, the colors going to be silver for ease of maintenance. Wish could get an AT without all that chrome garnish!
Any other suggestions? I prefer keeping my vehicles as stock and oem.
Don't rule out some colour citing maintenance issues. I have a habanero red and it still looks pretty despite Gurgaon heat and dust.

Isn't your preference for stock vehicles in contrast with your intent for a tyre upgrade.

My opinion - it's not necessary; the OEM tyres do the job just fine.

I recently took my ANHC up the Shivaliks and I did not complain about steerability, road grip or ride comfort even once!
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Caska HU - OE Fitment tsk13 In-Car Entertainment 40 14th January 2015 17:02
2010 White ANHC SMT Ownership Review nanduchitnis Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 35 2nd January 2014 16:11
PICS : Caska in my Toyota Fortuner dilipkumar7278 In-Car Entertainment 39 21st September 2013 22:07
Got a Caska HU for my CRV AbhiJ In-Car Entertainment 27 17th May 2011 08:52


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:39.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks