Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 27th April 2013, 15:42   #136
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Buying a *used* budget Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4.Cars View Post
hey folks,

I am looking for a preowned sedan, for my highway drives only.

Below are my requirements :
1) Petrol or diesel does not matter to me, as long as maintainence is not much of an issue, i do not wish to spend loads on spare parts often.
2) F.E if i get about 12km/litre in petrol and about 12 to 14 on the diesel sedan i am good to go for it.
3) Space is not a major issue, if 4 people can sit and if boot is anything above 450 litres is cool with me.
4) HANDLING !!!! good handling car is a must !! if the ride is stiff its alright, the car should be fun to drive, basically i need a drivers car.
5) Simple and good looking car will do, i dont need a complicated or ugly looking car like Dzire or new verna or any of the TATA sedans...
6) ABS is a must, not very fussy about airbags, if its there good stuff.
7) Can not have outdated interiors, if i am hoping to keep the car for sometime, about 5 to 7 years.
8) G.C, i do not want a very low G.C sedan, if its loaded with 4 people it shouldnt scrap the underbody on speed breakers of bad roads please.
9) My BUDGET is 3 lakhs, but i can strech all the way upto 5 lakhs if required. i am ready to wait for 6months to find the right car.
10)100BHP plus power is a requirement for highways. so anything between 90 to 150bhp is good with me.

Sorry about too many requirements guys, suggestions needed
You can pick a Good Honda Civic or a ANHC within your budget wont go wrong with any of these,if purchasing diesel,i would recommend Optra Magnum.
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2013, 15:44   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
You can pick a Good Honda Civic or a ANHC within your budget wont go wrong with any of these,if purchasing diesel,i would recommend Optra Magnum.
Honda Civic has low G.C.
ANHC and Optra Magnum have balanced road handling manners, not good handling cars category
Crazy4.Cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2013, 15:47   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
One fits all.
Fiesta classic.

Or the fiesta, as it would be in the used car market
The fiesta is good agreed, not convinced with its G.C if 4 people are seated and not sure about the cost for spares
Old 27th April 2013, 15:48   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Honda Civic has low G.C.
ANHC and Optra Magnum have balanced road handling manners, not good handling cars category
Low GC can be Fixed,check GTO's thread.
How about a Fiat Linea MJD its a slouch in 1st and 2nd gear,but out on the highway its a able performer or a Tjet if you can find one.
A Cedia,does it sound good?
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2013, 15:50   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Low GC can be Fixed,check GTO's thread.
How about a Fiat Linea MJD its a slouch in 1st and 2nd gear,but out on the highway its a able performer or a Tjet if you can find one.
A Cedia,does it sound good?
Cedia and Linea T Jet petrol, both are extermely hard to find, almost impossible to find a good one.

Linea MJD is not available for 5 lakhs here in bangalore, most of them are above 7 lakhs!!
Old 27th April 2013, 15:54   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The fiesta is good agreed, not convinced with its G.C if 4 people are seated and not sure about the cost for spares
Spares costs are equatable with a 7lac sedan, and I've not faced a lot of gc issues. The service network, though, that is comparatively limited to say, compared to Maruti or hyundai.
mayankk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2013, 16:44   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Cedia and Linea T Jet petrol, both are extermely hard to find, almost impossible to find a good one.

Linea MJD is not available for 5 lakhs here in bangalore, most of them are above 7 lakhs!!
Go for corolla, the older model. Works great, looks good, can take abuse and people.
tanwaramit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2013, 20:04   #143
BHPian

I was planning to buy a new Bullet to replace my Pulsar, but looking at the prices, thought it would make more sense to buy an old car for the rainy season. So this car will see very sparse city use, plus a possible 200km trip once every 2 months. Bottom line: less than 5K kms a year.

I'm interested in picking up a used Hyundai Accent. The car is quite old (2002 model) and has covered 68K according to the meter. Assuming that the service history is good, should I go for this car? Price being asked for is around 1L, I'll be able to negotiate a lot (they have a diesel sedan and want to sell this off)

How reliable are Accents after 70K mark? Can someone give an idea about the possible upcoming service costs?

I'm looking at Accents because they have good build quality, are less likely to be abused by boy racers, and are still being made. But I am open to alternate suggestions. Mileage is not really a criteria, price and reliability is.

Last edited by vivekgk : 15th May 2013 at 20:05.
vivekgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2013, 09:58   #144
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
I was planning to buy a new Bullet to replace my Pulsar, but looking at the prices, thought it would make more sense to buy an old car for the rainy season. So this car will see very sparse city use, plus a possible 200km trip once every 2 months. Bottom line: less than 5K kms a year.

I'm interested in picking up a used Hyundai Accent. The car is quite old (2002 model) and has covered 68K according to the meter. Assuming that the service history is good, should I go for this car? Price being asked for is around 1L, I'll be able to negotiate a lot (they have a diesel sedan and want to sell this off)

How reliable are Accents after 70K mark? Can someone give an idea about the possible upcoming service costs?

I'm looking at Accents because they have good build quality, are less likely to be abused by boy racers, and are still being made. But I am open to alternate suggestions. Mileage is not really a criteria, price and reliability is.
68K is not a lot of running. I hope the meter is not tampered. You might have expenditure such as New set of wheels, a new battery for sure. Other typical expense might be Suspension, clutch etc considering the age of this car.

For cars aged so old such as 2002, I would have preferred classics such as Honda city. It will be reliable even now.
rajshenoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2013, 14:15   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Got lucky . Bought one with 7K on the odo, pristine condition, march 2012 regd. 2012 manufactured Emotion for around 8.5 L
sammyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2013, 16:13   #146

Hey Guys,
This is my first post, so a quick introduction. I recently moved back to India and then moved to Delhi from Bangalore. I have in the past owned the Ikon (over a decade ago) and the OHC VTEC (over 8 years ago). I love to drive and find it hard to choose a car that is practical but not fun to drive. I was introduced to Team-BHP by a good friend who is also a member and have spent many many hours on the site already.

I need to get myself a ride for my daily commute from South Delhi to Gurgaon. Looking at the roads, traffic situation and the driving styles of people on the road, I have decided to get a used car and set myself a budget of 3.5 lakhs.

I started with a list of the usual suspects:
1. Baleno: I know it is dated but I TDed a couple and they are a lot of fun to drive. I can get a fairly decent one for about 1 lakh and can spend another lakh on it to get the exteriors and interiors looking like new. I almost went ahead and did this until I came across a thread here on how poorly it has faired on crash safety tests. It just reminded me that since the budget is a self-imposed one, I should at a minimum get a car with airbags and ABS. I do intend to take the car for trips towards the hills often. That takes the Baleno out.

2. Lancer: I TDed a couple before the airbags restriction and was not happy with the sluggish start from 0 to 40. The Baleno seems a much better car for city driving. Eitherway, the airbags restriction takes this out as well.

3. Cedia: I read about the spares issues on several threads and decided to check. I called 4 spares stores, a couple of mechanics, one authorized service station and a current owner. All of them confirmed that spares are a big issue and all of them clearly asked me NOT to buy the car. I really wish this was not true - the Cedia may be the perfect car for my needs. Can current owners confirm if the spares issue is really that bad?

4. Corolla: I know this is the best buy given my restrictions but...it is a Toyota. I TDed a couple and while I was surprised by the performance a little, it somehow does not cut it for me. Also the rear leg room in the 2004 version was a lot lesser than I would have expected for a car of that size.

5. NHC/Civic: I just dont like the new look of the Hondas. I prefer a more understated look to my cars and am not a fan of the sharp noses of the new cars. I am also using the light suspensions and low GCs as excuses when i am asked to compromise on the looks.

6. Elantra: I have in general stayed away from Hyundai cars but the need for airbags and ABS brings this one into the mix. I TDed three cars and was pleasantly surprised by the engine. The ride isnt fantastic but it isnt bad either. This car is the right size, has all the features, comes cheap and when I get that front grill changed - not horrible to look at either. I have been trying to find a clean one in Delhi and havent found one yet. I just got back from getting a car checked at the Hyundai service center and catching the dealer trying to sell a car with over 1 lakh kms on the odo as a sub 70k kms car. Thanks to the Team-BHP checklist!

7. Accord/Camry/Sonata: The FE and the larger size of these cars for city rides has kept me from trying these.

8. Octavia: I have stayed away from Skoda due to the large number of comments by members on its reliability issues, spares and cost of maintenance. Are the niggles and maintenance costs bad enough for me to avoid this car? I do like how it looks and there are several in the market for very good prices.

9. Fiesta: The only reason I have stayed away from this car is that I dont trust American cars over 50k kms.

To sum up, I am trying to hold onto my target of getting a used (fun to drive) sedan at or under 3.5 lakhs with airbags and ABS. I have seen a lot of similar threads since around 2007 and it is interesting that the list of options hasn't changed much in the last 6 years.

Are there any cars I should add to the list or are some of my concerns on these cars not as bad as they are made out to be?
Muts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2013, 06:49   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muts View Post
Hey Guys,
I love to drive and find it hard to choose a car that is practical but not fun to drive.
I would recommend you try and get a used Fiat Linea T-Jet. I know it might be some hard, but dig hard enough and you will find one.

Edit: I see one listed in Carwale. asking 5.25. Maybe you can up your budget a bit and he can bring down his price.

Last edited by johy : 14th July 2013 at 06:54.
johy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2013, 09:59   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Guys,
This is my first post, so a quick introduction. I recently moved back to India and then mov------------------------------ I should add to the list or are some of my concerns on these cars not as bad as they are made out to be?
Baleno /ohc -you're you will be hard pressed to find worthy ones in Delhi. The ones that are any good, are not for sale. Or are inordinately high priced.
Fiesta-more European than American. Most cars on the forum itself have done close to a lac kms. Hell, I bought mine at 46k,and it's been a normal ownership, at par with any used car ownership.
In fact, at 3.5,the fiesta will be the most recent model you'll be able to get.

Civic- really shoddy ones for sale at this price.
Octavia-my perception is based on the forum itself, so why take the chance of living out horror at the hands of a.s.s.?

Last edited by mayankk : 14th July 2013 at 10:02.
mayankk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2013, 10:06   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Guys,
This is my first post, so a quick introduction. I recently moved back to India and then moved to Delhi from Bangalore. I have in the past owned the Ikon (over a decade ago) and the OHC VTEC (over 8 years ago). I love to drive and find it hard to choose a car that is practical but not fun to drive. I was introduced to Team-BHP by a good friend who is also a member and have spent many many hours on the site already.

I need to get myself a ride for my daily commute from South Delhi to Gurgaon. Looking at the roads, traffic situation and the driving styles of people on the road, I have decided to get a used car and set myself a budget of 3.5 lakhs.

To sum up, I am trying to hold onto my target of getting a used (fun to drive) sedan at or under 3.5 lakhs with airbags and ABS. I have seen a lot of similar threads since around 2007 and it is interesting that the list of options hasn't changed much in the last 6 years.

Are there any cars I should add to the list or are some of my concerns on these cars not as bad as they are made out to be?
At under 3.5L, it would be hard for you to get a sedan with features that you are looking for and which is run less than 50K so as to give you the option of using those feature reliably.
Why not look for a good condition HatchBack. You will surely find a very good quality hatchback in this price range which will be in mint condition and fun to drive too. There are some very good options available on this front now a days.
yogibear007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2013, 07:45   #150
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Guys,
This is my first post, so a quick introduction. I recently moved back to India and then moved to Delhi from Bangalore

I started with a list of the usual suspects:

Just came across this thread. Have you considered the SX4. I think you should be easily able to get a top end2009/10 model around the 4 lakh range. It comes with abs air bags and most other features one would need. Reasonably good to drive especially on highways. Mileage is on the lower side ~ 10 kmpl in the city.
Rajeevraj is offline   Reply With Quote