Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 24th August 2013, 19:59   #166
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Buying a *used* budget Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblackshark View Post
Guys a friend of mine is confused between the accord and the superb

He is looking for a car not more than 3 years old and is smitten by the German but the japs have been there for him.

He is upgrading from a civic

What do u guys suggest he should go for.

Also what kind of prices for a 3 yr old superb and accord?
There are some fantastic deals available on pre-owned D-segment petrols.

For example: 2009 Superb 3.6V6 4*4 at around 9.5L.
3 year old Honda Accords and Superbs go for around 10-12L depending on the milage and condition.

There is no doubt that a Superb would be a significantly better car than the Honda Accord, but do keep in mind that they would be significantly more expensive to maintain - Skoda/German brand aside, an adaptive xenon headlight would be more expensive to replace than a simple halogen beam thats there in the Accord. Though other similar parts are pretty similarly priced.

When looking out for a pre-owned German, do check out the service history thoroughly, as well as read-up on the vehicle and any known faults. The petrol Superbs with the 7-speed DSG gearbox are famous for gearbox malfunctions, and they cost a bomb to repair.
lamborghini is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2013, 20:11   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post

There is no doubt that a Superb would be a significantly better car than the Honda Accord, but do keep in mind that they would be significantly more expensive to maintain - Skoda/German brand aside, an adaptive xenon headlight would be more expensive to replace than a simple halogen beam thats there in the Accord. Though other similar parts are pretty similarly priced.

When looking out for a pre-owned German, do check out the service history thoroughly, as well as read-up on the vehicle and any known faults. The petrol Superbs with the 7-speed DSG gearbox are famous for gearbox malfunctions, and they cost a bomb to repair.
Exactly what I have been telling him about the superb especially considering skoda and its track record

We saw a couple of accords today and they are readily available in the used market. They seem to have a weak suspension though considering they have run in 30 - 40 k range

And diesel superbs are tough to find!!!
bigblackshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2013, 21:00   #168
BHPian

Quote:

He is looking for a car not more than 3 years old and is smitten by the German but the japs have been there for him.

My vote for superb.... Better technology, loaded with features, availability of diesel option in superb and better suspension are some of the reasons. If looks matter accord looks dated while superb looks more contemporary in its
styling. Skoda service support and spare prices have been areas of concern which could be counted as negative for superb. Look at automatic petrol
superb which is a great drivers car. The diesel auto would also not disappoint you but would be more expensive by at least 2 lacs compared to petrol if you are looking for a 3 year old car.

If it's a chaffeur driven car you can look at manual transmission model too. The rear seat comfort in superb is better than accord. I have no specific info on exact prices of three year old superb or accord. Accord would be definitely
cheaper. As always take a test drive of both cars before you choose.
Drivethru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2013, 21:23   #169
BHPian

Quote:

I would prefer remaining only smitten by the Germans and not bitten by their high maintenance, low reliability and worst A.S.S.
Even if you/your friend finds both the cars equally good, I would recommend Accord if the guy is self driven and Superb if chauffeur driven. The way I see it, I pity people who self drive Superb in Delhi/Mumbai traffic, lugging such a long vehicle if you are in the driver seat does not seems a good idea. I found superb like car best being chauffeur driven and Accord best being self driven. Without being offensive to any superb/accord owners, that is how I perceive the image of either vehicle.

Regards

P.S: Upgrading from civic, it is best to remain pampered with low cost ownership and excellent service backup of Honda vehicles as compared to Skoda. Read somewhere in an ownership thread that the horn on Skoda Superb costs some princely sum of Rs.8000.

Last edited by Grr7 : 24th August 2013 at 21:24. Reason: Grammatical error
Grr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2013, 03:07   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivethru View Post
My vote for superb.... Better technology, loaded with features, availability of diesel option in superb and better suspension are some of the reasons. If looks matter accord looks dated while superb looks more contemporary in its
styling.
Yes the feature list on the superb is quite comprehensive, but then is it worth paying an extra lac or 2 for the features. I have a personal inclination towards hondas as I own a city and would love to upgrade to another bigger honda soon and the accord does not look dated to me. In fact accord in its v6 avatar still makes me drool. Sadly my friend thinks otherwise :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grr7 View Post
I would prefer remaining only smitten by the Germans and not bitten by their high maintenance, low reliability and worst A.S.S.
Even if you/your friend finds both the cars equally good, I would recommend Accord if the guy is self driven and Superb if chauffeur driven. Read somewhere in an ownership thread that the horn on Skoda Superb costs some princely sum of Rs.8000.
It is gonna be self driven for him and he seems to be gungho about superbs, well i will wait till he drives one and since i havent driven one either it is really tough to weigh the option as of now.

8000 bucks for the horn, i would just roll down my windows and choose to scream instead
bigblackshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2013, 16:24   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes the feature list on the superb is quite comprehensive, but then is it worth paying an extra lac or 2 for the features. I have a personal inclination towards hondas as I own a city and would love to upgrade to another bigger honda soon and the accord does not look dated to me. In fact accord in its v6 avatar still makes me drool. Sadly my friend thinks otherwise :(

It is gonna be self driven for him and he seems to be gungho about superbs, well i will wait till he drives one and since i havent driven one either it is really tough to weigh the option as of now.

8000 bucks for the horn, i would just roll down my windows and choose to scream instead
Guys,
Please don't think the Honda parts are cheap either.
Look at the ACI Spare Parts survey. There is a very miniscule difference between the Accord and Superb, and the only reason the Superb loses out is due to the higher cost of a few components.
As I said earlier, a headlight with Bi-Xenon, Active Cornering, and Projector set-up WILL be more expensive (and worth it too!) than the Accords simple Halogen set up. And that's where the difference lies in the costing of spare parts.

At the same time, keep in mind that due to these extra gizmos, and their pursuit for a better vehicle, these Germans aren't as reliable.
Example: The Superb Petrol with the 7-speed DSG is more prone to failure than the Accords simple tried and tested A/T set-up - but then again, the technology, fuel efficiency, driving experience is just so much more advanced and better over the Accord, that many owners are willing to overlook these niggles for a better product.

You might feel that many of these features are unnecessary, and for most part, I would agree with you. But then again, some features such as the Xenons, sunroof, memory seats, etc. really make a significant difference in everyday drives.

IMO, the Superb 1.8TSi M/T or a Superb 3.6V6 (with the 6 speed DSG) would be much better options for a self-drive car.

Just to throw in another couple of options - look for the old-gen Passat M/T. Its a size smaller, but handles significantly better and will be easier to live with in traffic and tight parkings. He can also look at pre-owned BMW 3 series in that budget, but might have to settle for a 4 year old example. If he is willing to compromise on that, he might just get a true German driver's car.
Similarly, if he likes Honda, there's even the CR-V. It might be a generation old, but IMO is far superior to the Accord. He might just appreciate in post-monsoon Mumbai roads.

EDIT: Drive a new Accord and Superb from the dealership first so you can gauge the pre-owned ones better. Someone I know with the current Accord V6 absolutely HATES the suspension. 30-40K is too early for it to start wearing out - Our Octy with 6 years and 50K on the odo just underwent minor suspension work.

Last edited by lamborghini : 25th August 2013 at 16:32.
lamborghini is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2017, 15:04   #172
Senior - BHPian

Bumping this old thread, posting on behalf of a friend.

With a budget of 1.5~2.0L how good is a used Ford Ikon 1.4 as a replacement for 1.5 decade old M800? Usage will be mostly on highways, covering not less than 10k km annually.

PS: he is very keen towards my Baleno, but I'm not ready to sell her

Last edited by Mr.Boss : 28th January 2017 at 15:05.
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2017, 15:14   #173
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post

With a budget of 1.5~2.0L how good is a used Ford Ikon 1.4 as a replacement for 1.5 decade old M800? Usage will be mostly on highways, covering not less than 10k km annually.

Why not a Linea - it could be available around that price, but with almost all spares readily available.

In gurgaon recently, I saw a shop which picked up a mid 2009 Linea just under 1L - but that was not very well kept cosmetically.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2017, 15:44   #174
BHPian

Quote:

Rather than Ikon, he can check out Hyundai Accent. I had owned a pre-owned Accent and sold it last year. It's a very good vehicle and also parts would be available for some more years.

If he can extend the budget to 2.5 or so, he can check out Corolla, which I own currently. I bought it last year from the first owner.

KK
KK_HakunaMatata is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2017, 17:02   #175
BHPian

+1 for the Linea. Available at rock bottom prices. National diesel engine. Reasonably priced genuine spares. Still being sold. So spares availability ensured for 10 years.
drsingh is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2017, 18:27   #176
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

If were you, I would opt for a City, Civic(with increased budget) or a Corolla. Peace of mind should be of utmost priority I believe
namanchaudhary is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2017, 20:54   #177
BHPian

Quote:

He could look at a used SX4. The petrol has decent grunt & should be as reliable as the Corolla & Civic.

Or get the Fiesta classic for a ton of fun, since he's going to be driving mainly on the highway.

Carwale seems to have a number of options around the 2L mark in the NCR region.
da_lowrider is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2017, 21:31   #178
Senior - BHPian

Thank you so much for the response guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Why not a Linea - it could be available around that price, but with almost all spares readily available.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
+1 for the Linea. Available at rock bottom prices. National diesel engine. Reasonably priced genuine spares. Still being sold. So spares availability ensured for 10 years.
Linea is definitely a better choice in this segment, having owned one for over couple of years I can go with blind eyes if it matches the price bracket. Most of the cars in this budget were over 1L km covered, more than 2 owners, ill maintained / abused and immediate attention will be required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
Rather than Ikon, he can check out Hyundai Accent. I had owned a pre-owned Accent and sold it last year. It's a very good vehicle and also parts would be available for some more years.
Since the priority is towards diesel Accent was ruled out (too many horror stories about Accent CRDi)
But Petrol Accent will be included in our list

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
If he can extend the budget to 2.5 or so, he can check out Corolla, which I own currently. I bought it last year from the first owner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by namanchaudhary View Post
If were you, I would opt for a City, Civic(with increased budget) or a Corolla. Peace of mind should be of utmost priority I believe
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_lowrider View Post
He could look at a used SX4. The petrol has decent grunt & should be as reliable as the Corolla & Civic.
No Civic / Corolla. Though they may fit under the buying price, maintenance doesn't.
Also we are looking at something less than 1500cc (to save a little on Insurance premiums)

Quote:
Or get the Fiesta classic for a ton of fun, since he's going to be driving mainly on the highway.
Fiesta is definitely in our radar.

Quote:
Carwale seems to have a number of options around the 2L mark in the NCR region.
Please don't compare the South market against NCR
Mr.Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2017, 21:56   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you so much for the response guys

Please don't compare the South market against NCR
Oh sorry, my bad, I, mistakenly, read that you were in Gurgaon, yep I'm aware of the difference in pricing in the two markets. Sorry about that.
da_lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2017, 11:43   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions and recommendations guys. After running behind so many used cars, dealers and so called direct owners, he (my friend) settled for a New Tiago Diesel (Top end)
Mr.Boss is offline   Reply With Quote