Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 15th February 2017, 10:38   #181
BHPian

Default Re: Buying a *used* budget Sedan

So how does everyone feel about owning a project car? At the cusp of an age where I leave my speedy desires for leashed reliability, the thought it would be a good idea to land myself with a used drivers' automatic for my daily run-about has bitten me bad. For sensibilities, I have my Innova. Two options are on top of my head;

a. Skoda Laura 1.8 TSi (I know it doesn't come with an automatic option, but 1.8, full-stop)
b. Honda Civic 1.8 V AT (a little lesser power, and lot lesser GC)

Since many of you, specially @GTO, have always advocated for the seconds market and the benefits thereof, was wondering if you can give me an honest feedback on owning a erstwhile D-segment car, at the price of a top-end Kwid! A quick heads-up on the things I need to keep in mind for getting such an old (and discontinued) car. As I keep flogging such manic ideas before I go to sleep, help on the following questions will be of help;

a. How much would a 4-5 year old exhibit with 40,000km cost me?
b. How expensive are the maintenance schedules?
c. Being discontinued, are parts procuring for both of them difficult?

Also, if anyone can PM me the contacts for a reliable source for the two aforementioned cars, it will be of immense help. I may just end up giving up my 2015 car for this one, so I ain't a very bright guy I would say!
methecupid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2017, 10:05   #182
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by methecupid View Post
a. Skoda Laura 1.8 TSi (I know it doesn't come with an automatic option, but 1.8, full-stop)

b. Honda Civic 1.8 V AT (a little lesser power, and lot lesser GC)
Between the two, if I was in the market today, I'd go for the Laura 1.8 TSI. It is a wicked car. No DSG means better overall reliability. However, I would be prepared for some work here & there (although it's not as bad as the DSG Lauras).

Civic if you want absolute peace of the mind. I sold my pristine Civic for a mere 2.5 lakhs. Shortly after buying it, the new owner drove it to Kerala without a single glitch!!

Between the two, the Laura 1.8 might be more expensive to buy.

Quote:
How expensive are the maintenance schedules?
Neither are too bad. I'd put aside 10-15k a year for the Civic, and a little higher for the Laura.

However, you must remember that you are buying a 40,000 km car. That means new tyres, a suspension overhaul, clutch, battery etc. aren't too far away.

Quote:
c. Being discontinued, are parts procuring for both of them difficult?
Not at all. There are so many of them on the road that it makes business sense for part providers to support them.

Quote:
Also, if anyone can PM me the contacts for a reliable source for the two aforementioned cars, it will be of immense help.
No PM business please. It's best to share on the public forum. A PM helps one person, a post helps thousands.

Would suggest checking out the Team-BHP classifieds, OLX & Carwale.

This weekend, test-drive this car, this car and this. Talk to Ashish @ Broker Dalal. Give him my reference (I'd interacted with him at the time of my 530d search). They are good people to deal with.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2017, 15:29   #183

Hi,
I am in the market looking for a used D segment car with a budget upto 6L. I am keen on getting a diesel one, owing to better fuel efficient and the torque that comes with it. Since I am already driving a Toyota Corolla, looking for a well powered one (Above 130bhp).

To start with I was pretty excited as I thought I would be spoilt for choice given that I am open to looking at well maintained cars with higher mileage but post 2010 make. However in my search over the last few days, I have come to realize there are hardly any options within my range apart from a Laura DSG AT. However I am concerned about the maintenance aspect given the large number of horror stories about Laura on the forum. Post 2011 Jetta & XUV are both beyond 6L and I ruled out the Cruze (Dad doesnt prefer Cheverolet). Confused with what to do.

Should I take a chance with a used Laura DSG AT (2011 Model) ?
schumi2508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2017, 23:27   #184
BHPian

Hi guys, turns out I'm back in the hunt for another car - but this time prefer a pre-loved machine to bring home, primarily as a family driver but also if possible - with a fun to drive nature.

Turns out - a quick glance threw up 2 obvious contenders that GTO mentioned in this thread - the Civic & the Laura 1.8 TSI. Having said that - I was still wondering if there are any more gems to be considered in the seconds market?

For a short brief - here's what I need to fill: A decent sedan with enough oomph to cater to my sporty driving style and my runs between Bombay & Goa and yet roomy enough for 3 adults + 2 toddlers. The ownership time frame would be 5+ years, so there's definitely the need to ensure spares and service isn't a problem.

The other usage would be daily chauffeur driven runs to the kids school and back while I am away (currently based abroad while the family is here) between trips. Once i relocate back here in a few months - it will see more self driving action.

Breakdown of factors:
1. Cars short listed : Honda Civic 1.8 // Laura 1.8 TSI // Laura 2.0 TDI(?? not sure)
2. Price range : less than 5L ideally // 6L MAX
3. Maintenance & After Sales Service (A.S.S.) expectations : A low as possible - reasonably mod friendly for improvements. 5+ years ownership targeted.
4. Average distance traveled per month : Around 600-800 km
5.Where car will be mostly used (city / highway / rough roads etc) : 90% City - 10% highway runs
6. Chauffer driven / self driven :Mix of both - initially chauffeur driven more than self.
7. Whether the vehicle will be shared by other members of family : Nope
8. Any specific requirements from car (ex. Better luggage space, responsive engine, rear seat comfort) - I am tall! 6.3' to be exact - so yeah, i do prioritize a good seating position and ease of access. (The Civic annoys me for this reason). Apart from that - I love a good handler and a sporty drive - Coming from a long line of Honda ownership with the City's.. I am a bit pampered for refinement. Currently own a GT TSI as a primary run about for spirited and easy city action. Lastly - it must have enough space and performance for at least 2 BOM-GOI runs a year.
9. How long you intend on keeping this car (and how important resale is to you) : Not particularly worried about resale since my time frame for ownership is around 5+ years.

A couple of checks with a few trusted mechanics so far have yielded resounding "NO" for the Laura TSI, with the warnings centering around - low fuel economy/expensive spares/service issues & reliability. The Civic on the other hand was instantly met with a worry free "Go for it" - No issues with servicing Honda's or spares etc. Though - suspension condition and ride height caveats were thrown in.

A distant consideration could also be the Ecosport (though not a sedan).. however for some reason - I just cant quite get myself to like it.

Would sincerely appreciate anyone's guidance to close in on a purchase within the next 45 days. I do have a vague idea of which used cars are fun to drive and the ones to go for - but I am by no means up to date with which car I should absolutely chase as a good deal in the pre-loved market. The only 2 I could think of, I have listed above.

Thanks in advance! look forward to any members suggestions.

Last edited by Vandit : 15th April 2017 at 23:32.
Vandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2017, 17:35   #185
BHPian

Default Buying a *used* budget Sedan

Sorry to bump the thread. Is there anyone with advice to spare on the Civic/Laura or other recommendations?

Also i have someone offering a 2011 Civic with 38k on the clock for 4.5L. Would that be a reasonable price or is it more than what it's worth? The tyres for sure need replacement, but I'm not too sure if it's even worth me asking for a full service checkup and assessment. The only saving grace is that the interiors and overall bodywork looks to be well maintained

Last edited by Vandit : 19th April 2017 at 17:40.
Old 13th May 2017, 18:05   #186
Senior - BHPian

Back to this thread after a short gap. Sold my Baleno very recently and I'm looking for a replacement with a budget of 2~2.5L

Case 1:
This car will replace the Baleno and will be put on same duty (Used at hometown with very minimal usage. 90% Chauffeur driven, rear seat occupied by parents)
- A proper Petrol (or diesel if possible) sedan
- Decent rear seat space and comfort
- 2 digit FE
- ABS must
- Decent maintenance (I don't mind spending a bit more, but part availability shouldn't be an issue)
- Preference order : Safety - Comfort - FE & Maintenance - Engine performance

Cars shortlisted:

Ford Fiesta (Classic)
I have past experience with 1.6 and I simply loved it. Brilliant car with balanced ride & handling, decent engine and comfortable rear seat. Now I'm open with 1.4 petrol variant as well.

Tata Manza
Best in class rear seat, to me it is comparable with cars a segment (or couple) above. I don't have hands on experience with petrol engine, but driven the 1.3 QJ extensively.

Case 2:
Sunny will be left at hometown for parents to use and I will get a diesel hatch
- Diesel preferred
- Safety must (ABS at least)
- Least bothered about rear seat comfort
- FE around 15kmpl
- Decent maintenance
- Not boring to drive

Cars considered

Fiat Punto
I'm sold to the build quality, ride & handling of Punto (and Linea) Except for few niggles and poor A.S.S it's a brilliant car IMO.

Ford Figo
Did a couple of trips from Chennai to Coimbatore and I'm very much comfortable with the car, space and performance. Only downside is the low CG but only when loaded.

Cars that were not considered
- Swift, Ritz, Beat for various reasons
- Logan / Verito for the looks
- Old verna for the rear seat space and comfort
- City ZX - can be considered if I'm getting a well maintained one

Request to fellow members:
- Am I missing any better choices? (please suggest)
- Views on Petrol Manza & Fiesta 1.4 (Petrol)

Thanks in advance
Mr.Boss is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2017, 19:05   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Back to this thread after a short gap. Sold my Baleno very recently and I'm looking for a replacement with a budget of 2~2.5L

Case 1:
This car will replace the Baleno and will be put on same duty (Used at hometown with very minimal usage. 90% Chauffeur driven, rear seat occupied by parents)
- 2 digit FE
- ABS must
- Decent maintenance (I don't mind spending a bit more, but part availability shouldn't be an issue)

Cars shortlisted:

Ford Fiesta (Classic)
I have past experience with 1.6 and I simply loved it. Brilliant car with balanced ride & handling, decent engine and comfortable rear seat. Now I'm open with 1.4 petrol variant as well.

Tata Manza
Best in class rear seat, to me it is comparable with cars a segment (or couple) above. I don't have hands on experience with petrol engine, but driven the 1.3 QJ extensively.

Case 2:
- Diesel preferred
- FE around 15kmpl
- Decent maintenance
- Not boring to drive
Case 1:

Why don't you consider the Honda City I-vtec 3rd gen? My grandfather owns one. It has done 80K and the i-vtec is still as good as new. But, Honda is charging 30K for a suspension replacement. So make sure you go for a car with a lower mileage if possible. It is also a fun to drive car. The N/A 1.5 petrol is a gem. My grandfather is 95% chauffeur driven and loves the rear seat.

Case 2:

Buy a swift 1.3 Mjd or a Punto. A polo gt tdi can also be considered. However, when it comes to A.S.S and maintenance I would blindly suggest the swift for you. Decent fun I say. The Swift would be the best of both worlds IMHO.

Last edited by vishy76 : 13th May 2017 at 19:09.
vishy76 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2017, 19:11   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandit View Post
Sorry to bump the thread. Is there anyone with advice to spare on the Civic/Laura or other recommendations?
Any reason why you have shortlisted D-Segment project cars? Parts and maintenance is unnecessarily high with these cars. As long as you aren't looking to keep it stock, why not go for cheaper locally manufactured C segment cars like the 1st gen pre-vvt SX4 1.6? It had huge mod potential and wouldn't cost you a bomb to maintain.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2017, 23:36   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
Case 1:

Why don't you consider the Honda City I-vtec 3rd gen? My grandfather owns one. It has done 80K and the i-vtec is still as good as new. But, Honda is charging 30K for a suspension replacement. So make sure you go for a car with a lower mileage if possible. It is also a fun to drive car. The N/A 1.5 petrol is a gem. My grandfather is 95% chauffeur driven and loves the rear seat.
That's one generation of City which couldn't be ignored, well balanced in terms of every aspect and I like that more than the current gen City with loaded features.

Only reason for not considering it is my budget. Even a decently maintained vehicle demands at least a lakh more than my budget. I had City ZX Vtec earlier and I'm not much of a fan after tasting the handling characteristics of Linea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
Case 2:

Buy a swift 1.3 Mjd or a Punto. A polo gt tdi can also be considered. However, when it comes to A.S.S and maintenance I would blindly suggest the swift for you. Decent fun I say. The Swift would be the best of both worlds IMHO.
Swift again demands a premium in used car market and most of the cars were already over (or nearing) 100k milestone. To be frank, none of the Maruti product impressed me including Ciaz.

Punto is always in the wish list. Polo is a good choice, I'm least bothered about the A.S.S as I have trusted sources outside to manage the rides. Thanks for the suggestion.
Mr.Boss is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2017, 23:55   #190
BHPian

Quote:

Case 1:
- 2 digit FE
- ABS must

Cars shortlisted:

Ford Fiesta (Classic)

Tata Manza

Case 2:
- Diesel preferred
- FE around 15kmpl
- Decent maintenance
- Not boring to drive

Cars considered

Fiat Punto
I'm sold to the build quality, ride & handling of Punto (and Linea) Except for few niggles and poor A.S.S it's a brilliant car IMO.

Ford Figo
Did a couple of trips from Chennai to Coimbatore and I'm very much comfortable with the car, space and performance. Only downside is the low CG but only when loaded.

Cars that were not considered
- Swift, Ritz, Beat for various reasons
- Logan / Verito for the looks
- Old verna for the rear seat space and comfort
- City ZX - can be considered if I'm getting a well maintained one

Request to fellow members:
- Am I missing any better choices? (please suggest)
- Views on Petrol Manza & Fiesta 1.4 (Petrol)

Thanks in advance
Why don't you get a used Toyota Corolla? It should definitely satisfy all your requirements in the case 1.
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2017, 00:04   #191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
Why don't you get a used Toyota Corolla? It should definitely satisfy all your requirements in the case 1.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Is there any difference in vehicle performance between the 1st gen and face-lift Corolla, including the suspension?
Mr.Boss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2017, 00:06   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion.

Is there any difference in vehicle performance between the 1st gen and face-lift Corolla, including the suspension?

Apart from exterior changes, the suspension had minor changes. Engine and gearbox were the same. I would suggest you look for the face lifted corolla's as they have an improved suspension setup. 2005 onwards.
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2017, 13:38   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Any reason why you have shortlisted D-Segment project cars? Parts and maintenance is unnecessarily high with these cars. As long as you aren't looking to keep it stock, why not go for cheaper locally manufactured C segment cars like the 1st gen pre-vvt SX4 1.6? It had huge mod potential and wouldn't cost you a bomb to maintain.
The Civic because that was once the car I always wanted to own, refinement & the relative ease to maintain. Apart from the low ride height and ingress/egress issues, the car is quite comfortable. Normally trouble free gear box too.

The Laura for its solid build and the 1.8 TSI engine, apart from better ride height, awesome handling, decent comfort and overall space.

Plus both cars give me enough oomph to haul a family of 5 with bags between BOM-GOA & back.

The SX4's i came across many but none caught my eye - maybe because I don't particularly fancy the looks of the car & probably also because not many were in a good condition.
Old 14th May 2017, 14:53   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandit View Post

Plus both cars give me enough oomph to haul a family of 5 with bags between BOM-GOA & back.
Ah for some reason I thought you were looking for a project car or something you could modify. If the plan is to just keep it mostly stock, here are some alternatives I can think of just to get your interest peaking:

Alternative to the Civic, the Mitsubishi Cedia: did not have the classic lines of the civic but handled better, came with better ground clearance and more capable dampers making it more practical as well, and the motor wasn't as lethargic at low revs in the city. High speed stability was also better in comparison to the Civic. Do check it out or atleast drive one to get a good idea of why I'm recommending it.

Alternative to the Laura, Suzuki Kizashi: nothing I can say will convince you enough since I own one and you would think I'm being biased. Simply go drive one and get back to me
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2017, 22:59   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All the cars that I came across were either with tampered odo readings or abused and nearing the end of life. Good ones were sold / booked before I could reach them.

I'm using my friend's Micra for past couple of days and parents felt ok-ish with the ingress and rear seat comfort. Adding Micra / Pulse to the wish list.
Mr.Boss is online now   Reply With Quote