Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 8th October 2012, 12:01   #121
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Buying a *used* budget Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by YashD View Post
I would suggest you to quote around a 1 lakh.
Anything beyond 1.2 is not worth.
Thanks dude.
Owner quoted 1.4L and I started my negotiation from 70k
As of now, he came down to 1.25L and I haven't committed anything. Waiting for radiator fitment and TD.
Mr.Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2012, 22:05   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss

Thanks dude.
Owner quoted 1.4L and I started my negotiation from 70k
As of now, he came down to 1.25L and I haven't committed anything. Waiting for radiator fitment and TD.
Great, try to get 5-10k further lesser and I am sure you will get a great product at the right price. Yes, ask him to get all the pending jobs done on it. Do test drive the car again after the installation.
YashD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2012, 00:23   #123

Default SX4 ZXi or Linea Diesel or ANHC??

Hi all,

This is my first post so a quick introduction is in order. I am Nilesh and am from Pune. I have been reading Team-BHP since about 4 yrs now but finally got the courage to try and convince the moderators to let me in. To my pleasant surprise, they did. Thanks!

Always been fascinated by cars but, admittedly, not as knowledgeable as most of you here. Speaking of cars, we started with a 2000 yr Maruti 800, bought a Swift Lxi in 2006 which is serving me beautifully and then followed that up with a Nano in 2009.

The 800 has gotten old now which brings me to this post. I am looking to replace it with a used Sedan. I am going to be driving about 25 Km per day for office commute or about 800 km per month. I am not too worried about mileage but can't afford for it to be below 10.

This is what I am considering

1) A SX4 ZXi - I think I should be able to get one in the 3.5-4L range. I TDed it and coming from Swift, it was very similar for me and frankly, though powerful, it didn't set my heart racing. But it is excellent value for money compared to my other 2 options and hence still in the reckoning.
2) A Honda City S MT - I TDed this one too and it definitely feels like an upgrade from the Swift. I am looking at a Jan 2009 S MT that is run 58k. Quoted price from Mahindra First Choice is 5.5L. Is it worth it?
3) A Linea Diesel - I am also looking a Linea Diesel Emotion - 2009 having run 30k from Mahindra First Choice quoted at 5.75L. Looking to negotiate here. I am yet to TD it.

Another thing to note is I am preferring Mahindra First Choice for the peace of mind. I have gained a lot of knowledge reading up on the forums here but I guess not enough to be confident that I can land a good deal from a car dealer. So, any inputs about Mahindra First Choice themselves are most welcome!

Also, I am thinking of visiting Mahindra dealers in Thane. They also have some of the above cars and Mumbai has them cheaper than Pune. I assume there will be additional cost to get it registered in Pune but is there anything else I should be worried about? Heard of humid Mumbai climate making cars causing issues?

Any inputs?

Thanks!!
Nilesh
nileshdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2012, 21:51   #124
Senior - BHPian

Hi all,

I am looking for a sedan/hatch in 3L budget for my father who is in his 70s.

Major needs are low maintenance ,Comfortable ,easy to drive and good mileage.

My choices are (ranking)
Honda City ZX- 2006-2008
Nissan Micra
Ford Figo
Ford Fiesta
Corolla 2004-2007

Is my choice right ?

Now i went shopping and saw few cars and need your advice /suggestions

Corolla - Saw a 2007/8 one ,2 owners,73k kms Quote 3.25L
Didnt impress me much and heard the mileage will be around 7-8 so deicided not to go for corolla

CITY-Vtech 2007
Saw a ad for City ZX Vtech ,2owners ,38k kms -Quote 4L (Individual)
Yet to see the car,Felt that the price is on the higher side - What is the ideal price?

Micra 2010 - Saw a base model ,done 16k kms but unfortunately sold/booked by someone for 3.25,they were quoting 3.7 when i called them (Dealer)

As of now not seen any Fiesta /Figo as i was keen on city

I need your suggestion on City Vtech/Non Vtech mileage and general maintenance ,please suggest prices for the CITY as well

Thanks
joshguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2012, 10:59   #125
Senior - BHPian

For the needs that you mentioned City is the ideal choice for you in the sedan segment. For the Vtec, first have a good look and TD of the car. If found good then try and close the deal within 3.5L. But I am assuming the car is in very good running condition with no immediate expenditure. The car should give a mileage of 10-12 in city while increasing upto 16-18 kmpl on the highway.

On second thoughts, why do you need a sedan at all? Its bigger than a hatchback and will be more cumbersome to drive in city. Also maintenance can be higher than a hatchback. You could look at some pre-worshipped i20/Figo, which are very comfortable or a Ritz/i10 perhaps for the tall boy design for easy entry/exit. All these can be had for 2.5-4L budget.
ashis89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2012, 16:54   #126
Team-BHP Support

Joshguy, please shortlist the New Honda City ZX as it would be perfect for your father.

Loads of space, light steering for comfortable driving and more than decent mileage of 13kmpl-14kmpl in city conditions.

Look for a low used one and it also falls right into the budget you have outlined.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2012, 19:00   #127
BHPian

Hi guys...

Am planning to sell off my 2009 swift ldi and buy a used budget sedan.
My budget is 4.50 lac for used diesel sedan

Saw a couple of i 20 magnas around that range year 2009. Both had quite a hard clutch.

Came across a optra magnum 2008 LT varient run 45k and offer price 4.5lac. It was with mahindra first choice. Drove it and found it to be a extreamly powerful and spacious sedan with good ride quality. I have asked my friend who works with chevy for a complete service history as i felt the odo to be tampered.
Am concerned about the maintenance costs and availability of spares.other thing that bothers me is how come a all round monster like optra failed to click.

Drove a couple of octavias and a fabia too. Loved them but a couple of ex skoda owners who are my friends recited their horror stories and now i dont have the guts to go for them.

Planning to drive a 2008 safari that falls in my budget.

Requesting you guys to kindly put in a word of advice...
shantyrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2013, 15:59   #128

Question Query Buying a *used* budget Sedan

I'm in a dilemma. I want to buy a used car for my mom; my budget is 3.5lacs and have narrowed down on two offers.....

1. Honda City 2007 ZX GXI 40k on ODO @ 3.5l

2. Swift 2005 VXI 1.3 40k on ODO @2.1l

All these are through a Mahindra First Choice dealer, so no ODO tampering or crash masking.

My mom is 49yrs old 5'5" and will be using it for going to kitties and malls.

suggest which one to buy or if anybody has a better offer in Kolkata.
arpanguha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2013, 17:25   #129
BHPian

Is Mahindra First Choice so reliable?? I would rather do a thorough checking for accident repairs and botched jobs as with any dealer.

I am from Kolkata and my friend had bought a Mahindra Scorpio 2003 model from First Choice in 2008 if remember right and we WERE TAKEN FOR A RIDE. If recently they have changed and become good guys, that is another matter but I highly doubt it. Please do a thorough inspection. Always better to be safe than sorry.

Cheers
novice_alto is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2013, 19:58   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpanguha View Post
----------snip--------

All these are through a Mahindra First Choice dealer, so no ODO tampering or crash masking.
---------snip-------&&&.

Don't be so sure.

If you can get service records,then maybe. Otherwise try and ask to be connected to the owner.
mayankk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2013, 22:43   #131
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Query Buying a *used* budget Sedan

Quote:
Mahindra First choice seems to be really notorious on the same points you mentioned. There are a lot of reviews mentioning bad experiences from them, within and outside TBHP. Do take a trusted mechanic with you and inspect carefully before closing the deal.
zenren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2013, 19:47   #132
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Query Buying a *used* budget Sedan

Quote:
1. Honda City 2007 ZX GXI 40k on ODO @ 3.5l

2. Swift 2005 VXI 1.3 40k on ODO @2.1l

Mahindra First Choice is not exactly above board always. Always treat any seller in the used car market with extreme caution, MFC does do Odo tampering and what not. Read around the forums to know more.

Both prices seem to be too expensive to me, but I could be wrong on that count. Nonetheless, pull up the full service history and get a mechanic you trust to come and check it out. Better still, get a trusted Honda dealer to check it out. I'm pretty sure MFC won't be ok with that though, it'll show up faults that might not look nice.

My advice: look harder, try and buy it from an individual and be patient. Most used car dealers are scoundrels, though a few are good ones. For your mum's requirements, a sedan might not really be needed. A small or medium sized hatchback might be better, given it's smaller size and less imposing nature. Maruti's hatches would probably be the best bet.

On a side note, if you think a 5 year old City @ 3.9 makes sense, why not go for a new Brio instead? It doesn't cost all that more, will be brand new, and is pretty perfect for your mum's needs. Just a thought.
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2013, 23:46   #133

Smile Re: Buying a *used* budget Sedan

Thanks for the heads up on MFC. I really didn't know I guess I'll be checking up on Brio, Beat and Figo prices, new ones ofcourse.

Cheers
arpanguha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2013, 15:18   #134
BHPian

hey folks,

I am looking for a preowned sedan, for my highway drives only.

Below are my requirements :
1) Petrol or diesel does not matter to me, as long as maintainence is not much of an issue, i do not wish to spend loads on spare parts often.
2) F.E if i get about 12km/litre in petrol and about 12 to 14 on the diesel sedan i am good to go for it.
3) Space is not a major issue, if 4 people can sit and if boot is anything above 450 litres is cool with me.
4) HANDLING !!!! good handling car is a must !! if the ride is stiff its alright, the car should be fun to drive, basically i need a drivers car.
5) Simple and good looking car will do, i dont need a complicated or ugly looking car like Dzire or new verna or any of the TATA sedans...
6) ABS is a must, not very fussy about airbags, if its there good stuff.
7) Can not have outdated interiors, if i am hoping to keep the car for sometime, about 5 to 7 years.
8) G.C, i do not want a very low G.C sedan, if its loaded with 4 people it shouldnt scrap the underbody on speed breakers of bad roads please.
9) My BUDGET is 3 lakhs, but i can strech all the way upto 5 lakhs if required. i am ready to wait for 6months to find the right car.
10)100BHP plus power is a requirement for highways. so anything between 90 to 150bhp is good with me.

Sorry about too many requirements guys, suggestions needed

Last edited by Crazy4.Cars : 27th April 2013 at 15:19.
Crazy4.Cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2013, 15:41   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4.Cars View Post
hey folks,

I am looking for a preowned sedan, for my highway drives only.

Below are my requirements :
1) Petrol or ------------------snip -----------------ny requirements guys, suggestions needed
One fits all.
Fiesta classic.

Or the fiesta, as it would be in the used car market

Last edited by mayankk : 27th April 2013 at 15:43.
mayankk is offline   Reply With Quote