Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Closed Thread

Old 10th September 2011, 16:07   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Chevrolet Cruze or the Chevrolet Optra - Which car and why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
Though Cruze is 5L costlier it sells 5 times more than Optra every month. You can use that line of argument.
Tried that - his reply "If that argument is to hold good, we might as well go for an Alto (or 5 in the same price)"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
. you can suggest that since the car may be phased out in future,spares won't be available(Chevy ASC sometimes don't keep spares for in-production cars,let alone out of production cars). It will lead to your car staying at workshop longer for want of spares.
Also I found some links in the forum regarding engine issues with Optra diesel.
One of our family friends (my husband's chaddi buddy ) works at GM's Halol plant. There is no plan of any phasing out. And no issue of spare parts either!
As for the issues, even I agree that these kind of issues can occur with any car - nothing specific to blame the Optra - and most of these issues also show the support shown by the After Sales Service - am thinking how I can use this to my benefit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
As the post before asked, is the debate still on, and if it is i am surprised that you haven't had your way yet .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep_Shri View Post
Is the debate still on or did you lose the argument with your husband?

The top end LT version of Magnum has all creature comforts and if you replace the 2-DIN system with a Caska or a MapMyIndia you are sorted.

Did you try "Please buy me the Cruze because I like it more...one thing I demand of you and you won't even listen" line (with a sulking tone and face)?
The debate is still on!

The music system does not matter to either of us, as long as there is some light music going on. So whichever car we buy, the change in the music system is not on the charts.

We have known each other since childhood - I am not the helpless maiden types, so if I try the wooing approach, it will only result in him ROFL - and it will also turn out to be a joke on me for the rest of my life (he will tease me at every possible occasion)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimist View Post
Hi , We are all over the forum and we just tried to point you in the better direction (at least that was what we felt)

BTW who will be driving the proposed car most?

My apologies to barge into your party.
Appreciate your inputs - there was no offense meant when I made the comment about posting in the Optra threads. And if it is my party - it's open to all - so you are most welcome, and appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Has your husband test driven both the cars? Was he fascinated by the Optra after the test drive? What is he against in Cruze?

Buying a Cruze just because the budget is 15L is not the correct option.

I guess now you should play mind games with your husband if you want an upper hand.
Extensive test driving done - he LOVES the Optra - but as with me, just that won't help him either, as I too LOVE the Cruze (strikeout).
Mind games don't work - it will turn into a joke soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedatedDrive View Post
As a Cruze owner, I can say an un-modded Cruze will turn heads when next to a modded Optra.

The 'modding' that we are talking about here is the internal modding - so this comment does not make sense - the Cruze will turn heads anyways (or maybe not considering the number of Cruzes you see nowadays)

Quote:
Do you plan to drive the car in the city, whichever car it may be? Or will it be your husband?

If it is you or both of you, then I recommend an AT Cruze. You will find the clutch and gear shift hard to use in City traffic and will feel like working out at a Gym until you get used to it.
Do I see MCP behaviour here? For some reason, you assume that I am some 'delicate darling'
I hate automatics and can drive well enough! I totally intend to drive the new car atleast for about 30% (and our City will be mine 100%)

Quote:
Also an hubby is supposed to fall in line with what the wife wants. No excuses!
Are you a guy or a girl - if you are a girl, you making this statement makes sense
If you are a guy - your wife probably hit the jackpot!!
blueorchid is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2011, 19:50   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueorchid View Post
One of our family friends (my husband's chaddi buddy ) works at GM's Halol plant. There is no plan of any phasing out. And no issue of spare parts either!
I thank you very much for this valuable piece of information. You just set many minds at peace. Please remain active on TeamBHP and support us as we might occasionally need your help.

I'm sure you have compared both to death but read on.

BTW today I spent 2 hours with the Cruze. Now I'm glad I bought the Optra as the comfort is much higher. The ergonomics are spot on! Compare Ingress/Egress, Mirror adjustment, a little rear seat claustrophobia, Lumbar adjustment is missing on Cruze. The driver seat of the Cruze lacks front and rear individual level/slope adjustment. Glove box(cooled) and coin holder size are bigger in Optra. For the security checks now going to be commonplace, to open the boot we have to get out of the car or use the remote on the cruze.

So what if the Cruze looks better? I'm sitting inside, not the one who's watching. Why should i please the onlooker with my money and discomfort? And power, Bhp/ton, a marginal difference in total power and the "perceived" turbolag which can be easily rectified by a plugin/mod, are irrelevant unless you are on a race track. Interiors and gizmo's? Yes the Cruze is much better equipped but the grey/black interiors on the cruze was really dirty and lot of mud foot marks were present even though it's cleaned daily. Hey, we live and walk in India.

So ? What's it going to be? looks or comfort? That's what you have to decide. That's why we say Optra Optra ..

Quote:
We have known each other since childhood - I am not the helpless maiden types, so if I try the wooing approach, it will only result in him ROFL - and it will also turn out to be a joke on me for the rest of my life (he will tease me at every possible occasion)!

Extensive test driving done - he LOVES the Optra - but as with me, just that won't help him either, as I too LOVE the Cruze (strikeout).
Mind games don't work - it will turn into a joke soon!
Uh? Let us know who gracefully compromised in consideration of feelings for the other. BTW who is footing the bill?
Old 11th September 2011, 08:10   #33
BHPian

Default Chevrolet Cruze V. Chevrolet Optra

Since it appears that the starter of this thread is more inclined towards the Cruze, let me list the Advantages of the Cruze over the Optra (the comparison would be between Optra Magnum diesel LT AAC and Cruze LTZ).

Advantages of Cruze
1. Newer Car and Segment leader at this point of time.

2. Great looks; but then looks are subjective.

3. Has cruise control in the LTZ variant. This is absent in the Optra.

4. Has rear park assist which is company fitted.

5. Has more safety features like 4 Kmph Impact proof front and rear bumpers.

6. Has a Sunroof (if you need one)

7. Bigger tyres vis-a-vis the Optra.

8. Is a more powerful car.

9. Has Steering mounted controls.

10. Has rain sensitive wipers.

11. Has power folding and heated outside mirrors.

12. Has Push button ignition.

13. Has Child seat provisions.

If you actually compare in terms of price the Optra is more VFM; but it is a car on its last legs.
Old 11th September 2011, 08:22   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
1. The Cruze was my first and only choice - I liked the car - period!
Can't this be the sole reason?

From your posts, I think your husband is a good enthusiast himself, and hence giving him a thousand other reasons wont necessarily make him change his opinion. And from your posts, i dont think he dislike Cruze either, just that the Optra with the higher VFM tag makes more sense to him.

Let him know you have thought about the purchase (a lot), but no matter how VFM Optra is, you just cannot think of it as a new car purchase - the way Cruze does!

And since he loves performance, you could gift him a Pete's box along with the purchase. Cost would be around 30k, power will be up from 150bhp to 170bhp, and torque from 320 to 370bhp, and that too - plug and play without affecting warranty. (As long as service guys dont find out. Remap on an Optra Magnum will affect warranty since it plays with the original ECU).

(Anyways, both are fantastic cars! All the best with the purchase. )

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 11th September 2011 at 08:29.
Old 11th September 2011, 10:01   #35
Senior - BHPian

3 pages of endless pros and cons of either cars. I am not adding any points on that. But if I were you (and had the budget), I would pick the Cruze over the Magnum.

On a lighter note, you want Cruze and husband not listening? Make him join TBHP, we will make him choose Cruze
Old 11th September 2011, 10:22   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

If sheer VFM, rear space and ride comfort are priorities then the Optra it is. With 320NM of torque, it also has this ON-THE-FACE neck breaking torque. I mean, its no dud. Buttt.. Its usually outdated cars that are VFM. (Eg: Fiesta Classic)

For a new car, better looks, modern interiors (cock pit) , some funky features like keyless entry/go, (cruise control ?)and snob value (perceived as a segment higher) priorities, its the Cruze.

Power wise, I guess the 30 bhp can be easily wrung out of the Optra mill. Down here there is high regard for the 2.0 mill's mod potential.
Old 13th September 2011, 11:26   #37
BHPian

I committed the mistake of directly handing over the laptop to my husband, to show the 'advantages', so here is his perspective.

Comments from my husband! (verbatim - actually, he typed them himself)

Thanks a lot guys for all the help you gave my wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gautam Misra View Post
Advantages of Cruze
1. Newer Car and Segment leader at this point of time.

2. Great looks; but then looks are subjective.

3. Has cruise control in the LTZ variant. This is absent in the Optra.
When driving hard is your passion, cruise control is not an advantage!

4. Has rear park assist which is company fitted.
Costs 1500-5000 aftermarket - works equally good or maybe better.

5. Has more safety features like 4 Kmph Impact proof front and rear bumpers.
Optra has the same (4-5 kmph)

6. Has a Sunroof (if you need one)
Subjective again - don't need this - and for the wife - a definite no-no, considering the amount of money to be spent on the sun-screens

7. Bigger tyres vis-a-vis the Optra.
Optra has wide enough tyres - 195 vs the Cruze's 205. What's the specific advantage in having wider tyres. Also, changing stock tyres to 205 would hardly be anything (about 5000 bucks max)

Also, to the Optra's advantage is the independent rear suspension (as against the torsion bar in the Cruze)

8. Is a more powerful car.
For now! Same mill as the Optra, so a mod will fix that!

9. Has Steering mounted controls.
Again, not something which either of us wants!

10. Has rain sensitive wipers.
And that sometimes becomes a real pain in the butt!

11. Has power folding and heated outside mirrors.

12. Has Push button ignition.
Hate that! alongwith the keyless entry!

13. Has Child seat provisions.

If you actually compare in terms of price the Optra is more VFM; but it is a car on its last legs.
I would like to believe that the 'last legs' notion is a misconception.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Can't this be the sole reason?

And since he loves performance, you could gift him a Pete's box along with the purchase. Cost would be around 30k, power will be up from 150bhp to 170bhp, and torque from 320 to 370bhp, and that too - plug and play without affecting warranty.

(Anyways, both are fantastic cars! All the best with the purchase. )
I have the same reasoning as my wife - so the sole reason's of each of us cancel out the other...

Not Pete's for sure. I have ordered the RaceChip already! Will tune that with the intention of around 160 bhp, 350 Nm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Its usually outdated cars that are VFM. (Eg: Fiesta Classic)

For a new car, better looks, modern interiors (cock pit) , some funky features like keyless entry/go, (cruise control ?)and snob value (perceived as a segment higher) priorities, its the Cruze.

Power wise, I guess the 30 bhp can be easily wrung out of the Optra mill. Down here there is high regard for the 2.0 mill's mod potential.
The Ford Fiesta classic is VFM, but the spare parts are not! The earlier FOrd Fiesta's tail lamps would cost 1500 each. The Classic's tail lamps cost 3150 - the only change is the pattern on the reflectors - size, fitting etc are exactly same.

My exact intentions - wring out (easily) the 30 bhp for now, and more later!
Old 13th September 2011, 12:18   #38
BHPian

Looks like the decision is taken. Tough luck, Blue Orchid. Since nothing has worked, try charming him.
Old 13th September 2011, 13:01   #39
Senior - BHPian

Cruze is definitely the better choice if money is not a problem. Though the engine may be same and can be remapped to 140BHP or even higher, i am not sure if the drive and handling of Cruze and Optra could be the same.

IMHO cruze was designed from scratch and in the last few years only. While optra is available for quite some time the new generation magnum did not undergo major structural changes.

Structurally the cruze will be far modern and i for one feel the handling and ride quality in a cruze is years ahead of the optra.

The cruze is sold has a cross over in other countries if i am right. In that case the chasis is built to last better and stronger than the optra.
Old 13th September 2011, 13:15   #40
Senior - BHPian

If I had to make a choice, I would go for a *used* optra magnum. It would be a total VFM buy.

I also like the classic looks of the optra over the cruze and it's got more space.

Performance mods and changes to handling can always be made to suit the needs of the enthusiast .
Old 13th September 2011, 22:51   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Do I see MCP behaviour here? For some reason, you assume that I am some 'delicate darling'
I hate automatics and can drive well enough! I totally intend to drive the new car atleast for about 30% (and our City will be mine 100%)

Nothing MCP about me. I just wanted to share what our very Team BHP lady reviewer has also said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
A Lady driver's perspective:

• The clutch is hard, hence the choice of footwear has to be made accordingly. Make sure you carry your party shoes in the large boot, and wear sneakers while driving.

• The steering wheel is tight at low city speeds; for some women it may be a good workout for the arms, for the rest it’s a pain in the neck.

• The vanity mirror is excellent, so you can actually get ready for the party in the car itself!

• At high speeds, the Cruze is a pleasure to drive, You can just whisk through traffic and leave everyone else behind.

• Very smooth and light gearshift.

• Excellent braking ability.

• Parking sensors are a boon, especially for us women who have epics written on our parking skills.
Old 16th September 2011, 16:06   #42
BHPian

Although it has been decided, I cannot resist. So here are the reason I would go for the cruze.

1) Even though optra is not on its last legs, it certainly is a very old design (a decade or so if I'm not mistaken). Cruze on the other hand has been designed recently and tested all over the world. It is a brand new product and is setting charts on fire round the globe.

2) Optra might have the same engine block as the cruze, but i think they both use different turbo setups (hence the power difference). You may mod the Optra give the same power output as the cruze, but the cruze gives you the same power as stock. Here is its advantage. Most Bhpians can vouch for me when I say that after a few years (2-3 is most cases) you'll get bored of the power and will want more. With the optra you cant get anymore without some expensive upgrades. But in case of cruze, you could keep it stock for 2-3 years and then mod it (20k to 50k for box or remap). This will put the cruze into the beemer league in acceleration and top speed (around 200bhp and above 400Nm of torque. handling wont be close to beemer but you'll be used to your car).

3) Turbo-lag issue is kind of confusing now. Most of the opinions are of the pre-2011 models. The post 2011 model pulls cleanly from 1200-1500 only. Just that as you progress through the RPMs the engine keeps putting out MORE AND MORE AND MORE power hence making it feel that the low end has a lag. from 1200 itself you can feel the car accelerating away.

4) The rear bench space being less in cruze is way over-hyped. It might be a bit lesser that the competition (also owing to the fact that its black and SEEMS less airy), but it certainly isn't cramped. In fact for an average indian family it's more than enough (around 5'6"). During my test drive i didn't tell my dad about the supposed lack of space in the rear bench. My dad, my friend and my granny sat at the back (5'6", 5'8", 5'4"). After the drive when I asked he told me that it was very comfortable. Even wen i put the seat all the way back and I sat behind just to check, I fit in perfectly well and in good comfort (I'm 5'11").

Ultimately its about which car you fall in love with. I fell in love with Cruze, Hence defending it fiercely. Just my opinions.

Wishing you many many happy miles!!
Old 16th September 2011, 21:06   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangakishen View Post
After the drive when I asked he told me that it was very comfortable.
Your dad loves you a lot!

My parents prefer an Innova's middle row captain seats any day to the backseat of my Cruze.
Old 16th September 2011, 21:17   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Your dad loves you a lot!

My parents prefer an Innova's middle row captain seats any day to the backseat of my Cruze.
I guess I'll have to try it out myself to give a proper judgement!!
Old 16th September 2011, 21:39   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have the same reasoning as my wife - so the sole reason's of each of us cancel out the other...

Not Pete's for sure. I have ordered the RaceChip already! Will tune that with the intention of around 160 bhp, 350 Nm.
One of you will have to compromise then! Tricky situation, but unfortunately- there is no other solution.

With RaceChip, doesnt it come with a preset tuning? How will you tune it to specified bhp?
Closed Thread