Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2006, 11:36   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 2
Thanked: 0 Times
Thumbs up CNG in Baleno Vxi??

Hi,

Just joined the forum yesterday. Planning to buy a Baleno Vxi thanks to the huge fan following of this lean mean machine.
I will be doing about 60-80 km everyday (gurgaon-delhi-gurgaon) and was interested in finding if anyone has fitted a CNG kit in his/her Baleno. Does it make sense to go in for one. While Petrol and disel prices are on the upward curve without any respite and the huge availability of CNG (as mentioned by the vendors), theoritically it makes sense to go in for a CNG kit. But how much impact it has on the car. I have heard various things like engine life getting effected to no problemo

Can people who have fitted cng respond. will highly appreciate...

Yogi
yogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2006, 11:53   #2
BANNED
 
mclaren1885's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bangalore (the city of modded cars) !!
Posts: 4,821
Thanked: 28 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (10)
Default

Well i happened to drive my uncles maruti 800 fitted with a CNG kit .. The car though is easy to maintain does certainly feel like a dud , no torque , no power at all .. Got tired and switched to the petrol mode and the better torque levels , accelaration was clearly noticeble .. The difference was so much that i could not belive my eyes ..

So from this i inferred that CNG kits do play well with ur pocket but have a tremendous disadvantage from a drivers point of view .. Balenos are best known for the torqueir engines for city driving , but by using a CNG kit im thinking that u might just take the advantage of the baleno itself out of the equation .. That being the point , for that matter i think it would be better to pick up a zen and run it on gas .. Bcoz ud be hitting the baleno hard on its advantage point , so makes no use of going for a baleno .. If u can live with the drop in performance , then carry ahead ..

However im inferring this based on the ride on the 800 , i could be wrong .. Lets wait for what the others have to say ..
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2006, 11:59   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
Godfather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bangalore / Atlanta
Posts: 1,387
Thanked: 65 Times
Default

I hope this helps.. also i have never used a cng kit but a few of my friends have and they are not at all satisfied with it..

http://www.indiacar.com/index2.asp?p.../using_cng.htm

the rest is up to you to decide..
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2006, 16:45   #4
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 213
Thanked: 61 Times
Default M800 -- 38BHP+ cng = (Under powered)// Baleno 90+ bhp+cng ==(makes sence)

M800 -- 38BHP+ cng = (Under powered)// Baleno 90+ bhp+cng ==(makes sence)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885
Well i happened to drive my uncles maruti 800 fitted with a CNG kit .. The car though is easy to maintain does certainly feel like a dud , no torque , no power at all .. Got tired and switched to the petrol mode and the better torque levels , accelaration was clearly noticeble .. The difference was so much that i could not belive my eyes ..

So from this i inferred that CNG kits do play well with ur pocket but have a tremendous disadvantage from a drivers point of view .. Balenos are best known for the torqueir engines for city driving , but by using a CNG kit im thinking that u might just take the advantage of the baleno itself out of the equation .. That being the point , for that matter i think it would be better to pick up a zen and run it on gas .. Bcoz ud be hitting the baleno hard on its advantage point , so makes no use of going for a baleno .. If u can live with the drop in performance , then carry ahead ..

However im inferring this based on the ride on the 800 , i could be wrong .. Lets wait for what the others have to say ..
bhogalrajnish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2006, 17:25   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
nitrous's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: UAE/Lon/Madras
Posts: 6,966
Thanked: 282 Times
Default

Yogi, y not Legal LPG??
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2006, 18:25   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
revtech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,988
Thanked: 35 Times
Default

hey dude

firstly welcome to tbhp.

1)if driven cautiosly the baleno will easily give you 12+ with AC on 100% of the time in city.but it all boild down to your driving style. CNG only makes sence if you really really bothered about your mileage.which i feel if you are that it makes sence buying a desiel vehicle like the accent Crdi or the fiesta.but if you really want the baleno and want to go in for a conversion i would suggest Lpg.i think its better than CNG in a couple of ways and a friend of mine has LPG in his astra.no problems as such but dont expect the same performance and responsiveness from the engine after the conversion.

2) dont really know about the discounts.

3)yeah.why dont you check out the accent crdi and fiesta desiel too.

4) handling of the baleno is great.if your going in for the vxi its okay as it comes with 185 mm rubber but if your going for the lxi make sure you get thicker tubeless tyres considering that youll be doing long distance travel sometimes.

enjoy your stay here.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/introd...-everyone.html (Hi Everyone...)


Rev

Last edited by revtech : 26th February 2006 at 18:27.
revtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2006, 09:20   #7
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: delhi
Posts: 32
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Hi,

I have been using CNG since 1998 in my Zen (Carb). Having driven extensively I recommend converting it. The difference between Carb and MPFI is that in MPFI you don't feel any lag in power whereas in Carb it is noticable and you have to live with it or get used to it. My friend is using a Zen MPFI and conferted it into CNG and on driving his car I did not feel any lack of power.

So far as maintenance is concerned I have not had any maintenance issues especially with MPFI vehicles. Go for it.
manver786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2006, 10:54   #8
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 2
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Thanks

Hi All

Tks for the feedback. I will keep you posted on my plans

Yogi
yogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2006, 02:22   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,099
Thanked: 157 Times
Default

if you are going to do 100+ km a day you should buy a diesel car...(I would say Accent Crdi)..but Baleno makes sense till 60-70 km/day
Buffetfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2006, 16:24   #10
BHPian
 
dodge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: kochi
Posts: 43
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by manver786
Hi,

I have been using CNG since 1998 in my Zen (Carb). Having driven extensively I recommend converting it. The difference between Carb and MPFI is that in MPFI you don't feel any lag in power whereas in Carb it is noticable and you have to live with it or get used to it. My friend is using a Zen MPFI and conferted it into CNG and on driving his car I did not feel any lack of power.

So far as maintenance is concerned I have not had any maintenance issues especially with MPFI vehicles. Go for it.
me too plning to install cng in my zen vxi how much will it cost including installation n everything.. nd have a doubt abt t tank size will i be able to keep my speakers and subwoofer after instaling cng
dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2006, 17:59   #11
Team-BHP Support
 
Zappo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 5,653
Thanked: 2,012 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge
me too plning to install cng in my zen vxi how much will it cost including installation n everything.. nd have a doubt abt t tank size will i be able to keep my speakers and subwoofer after instaling cng
I do not know from where you picked up this buzz about the CNG! Its understandable for ppl in Delhi but in Kochi? I guess you will be better off with a LPG kit. One it is easily available and legal. Second cost-wise it works out better. Conversion is cheaper. Engine runs cleaner. Power loss is negligible. And also, the LPG kit can be fitted into the hatch but I am not so sure about CNG. Generally they are bigger and more elaborate (= difficult and costlier modifications).
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2006, 20:36   #12
Senior - BHPian
 
satish_appasani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,033
Thanked: 45 Times
Default

I have LPG in my Siena. I don't feel any difference in the power....
satish_appasani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2006, 19:08   #13
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: mumbai
Posts: 72
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi
Hi,

Just joined the forum yesterday. Planning to buy a Baleno Vxi thanks to the huge fan following of this lean mean machine.
I will be doing about 60-80 km everyday (gurgaon-delhi-gurgaon) and was interested in finding if anyone has fitted a CNG kit in his/her Baleno. Does it make sense to go in for one. While Petrol and disel prices are on the upward curve without any respite and the huge availability of CNG (as mentioned by the vendors), theoritically it makes sense to go in for a CNG kit. But how much impact it has on the car. I have heard various things like engine life getting effected to no problemo

Can people who have fitted cng respond. will highly appreciate...

Yogi
Hi,
i am picking up a Baleno and thinking of CNG conversion. What has been your experience.. specially with the SC on?
thanks
Samrat Banerjee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2006, 07:22   #14
BHPian
 
msprabhakar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 264
Thanked: 73 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi
...Can people who have fitted cng respond. will highly appreciate...
Yogi, Surely you'll not to find too many Baleno enthusiasts in India offering good advice on CNG conversion kits. At the same time, factory-fitted CNG kits are sold in Baleno in other parts of the world offering excellent results.

Baleno stands for different virtues for different people. If you're attracted to Baleno and also to CNG economy, go for both... My only advice... (since you live in Gurgaon), get the conversion done through experienced Maruti hands... you'll have no regrets... Enjoy, and we look forward to your experience (maybe first in India!) in a new avatar of Baleno!!
msprabhakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2006, 16:16   #15
BHPian
 
naveendhyani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 542
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

but guys isn't CNG dry fuel which will eat up the engine much faster than the regular fuel will?

also if this is not the case how much drop in performance should we expect?

ny info on how the AC works, cause thats the USP of baleno.
naveendhyani is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CNG Oil Change - Regular or any CNG specials? panky12345 Technical Stuff 5 20th May 2016 11:56
Wagon R LXI CNG Vs Wagon R VXI + CNG Kit ajay387 Hatchbacks 37 7th October 2013 22:54
Swift Lxi (CNG Fitted) vs Santro GLS (CNG) coolaxe Hatchbacks 18 28th June 2012 16:58


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:41.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks