Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 25th April 2014, 07:01   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desdemona View Post
I cannot advise you on Bangalore prices (don't fiats enjoy much greater demand in Bangalore and Chennai than in Delhi?).

But i will say that if the car's a diesel, has been kept well and especially if the clutch slave cylinder has been replaced under warranty to the new design that is trouble free: go for it, try and clinch it.

I say this only because it has only done 35k in 4 years. I have a 2010 petrol Linea that has done much more than twice that mileage and has NOT aged AT ALL !
Thank you! Approximately when was the clutch slave cylinder kit supposed to have been replaced under warranty?
Red Liner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2014, 15:05   #47
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Is a used Fiat Linea (diesel) a good buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Looking at a used Linea Emotion pack, 2010 done 35k on the odo. The guy's asking for 5L. What do you reckon I should close it for? This is in Bangalore.
Get it throughly checked and negotiate.

Last October I bought a mid '09 Linea MJD Emotion (non-pack) for Rs 3.75L in Bangalore. It'd done 64K kms. The car was kept in excellent condition and completed the 60K major service too. Old owner was let down by incompetency of FASS. He didn't have time & inclination to learn more and be worried about the maintenance & upkeep of cars. (Same is my case, but I can afford to keep my fingers crossed, while he couldn't coz he's a doctor and often gets emergency calls).

A few pointers :
  1. Used car dealers are known to quote dismally low prices for FIATs. So don't hesitate while negotiating.
  2. FASS is slowly improving. Atleast thats what I see in Bangalore & hear about the situation at other places in other FIAT forums.
  3. At 35k kms, the tyres would've gotten worn off, and new sets can cost ~18k.
  4. Get the brake-pads, suspension & elastic pads checked.
  5. Upside : It'll have the old magic-carpet suspension & ride quality + good handling. Downside : just 170mm GC. (I got aluminum spacers (rings) added in the rear suspension for 1500).
  6. If you go ahead, you'll have to ensure its well taken care of & stays that way. Keeping it in good condition could very well take some time & patience. Peace of mind ownership is NOT guaranteed.
  7. Consult members like DRIV3R, they're experts & have experience with FIAT's. (I found some of their/his opinions abit too optimistic, but that was given what I had personally experienced.)
  8. IMO strictly 4 seater. Big fellows may not like the back seat, I don't. IIRC theres a member Mr.BOSS who sold his Linea for a similar reason.
  9. From my personal experience, the paint starts chipping off in spots/dots after 4 years. So if you go ahead, seriously consider getting paint protection done.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 25th April 2014 at 15:10.
GrammarNazi is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2014, 22:49   #48
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Thank you! Approximately when was the clutch slave cylinder kit supposed to have been replaced under warranty?
Some early punto-s and linea-s owners had clutch slave cylinders failing, they got them replaced. Then, others like me heard about this and got them replaced too, without a fuss from Tata-FASS I must add, to be fair. Am not sure whether there was a formal 'recall' from Fiat India. Of course, later editions (last 2-3 years) do not have an issue with the clutch at all.

I disagree just a bit with Grammarnazi: the linea from my experience and based on the experiences of many friends and family in many cities is a tough, reliable, low-headache vehicle, especially the versions since 2011-12. Niggles if any tend to be just that: small non-issues, from my experience. So unless you are manically finicky: go clinch this deal! It has only done 35k.

The usual caveats about used cars apply, of course!
desdemona is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2015, 16:59   #49
BHPian

What is a fair price for a 2011 Fiat Linea Diesel Emotion (top end model) with 38,000 kms covered (@ernakulam)? The owner asking for 6 lakhs. Is it a fair price?

Also, how good or bad is this particular (2011) model? Anyone owns or has experience with this model? Say reliability and as such?
vjjustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2015, 18:50   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjjustin View Post
What is a fair price for a 2011 Fiat Linea Diesel Emotion (top end model) with 38,000 kms covered (@ernakulam)? The owner asking for 6 lakhs. Is it a fair price?

Also, how good or bad is this particular (2011) model? Anyone owns or has experience with this model? Say reliability and as such?
Its a bit much. I bought a December 2009,48k done linea for 3.6 in Feb/March '14

Its a great car to own. But if you have a 6 lakh budget you should go for a new sedan anyway.
drsingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2015, 23:04   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjjustin View Post

Oh man, that price is pretty high. I bet you know the traffic conditions in Ernakulam. City ride means more engine wear wrt to highway run cars. Because of this and since it is a pre 2012 model, you might have to replace the timing kit( chain, sprockets, tensioner etc,) even before the recommended 60,000km service. But there is a chance that it had been replaced earlier in a recall. Anyways Check the VIN and confirm the manufacturing date of the car. Check the complete service history. Does it have extended warranty? Check whether there were any insurance claims. Even if the car is in perfect condition and having extended warranty and is favourable regarding all the above mentioned things, the price is way to high for car that has clocked nearly 40k kms in ernakulam. Negotiate and try to close the deal at least in 4.75. To say the least, I do not think it would be advisable to fish out more than half a million on a 4 year old diesel car which has less resale value. Don't rush. BTW i own a 2010 december model clocked 51k. Fantastic ride, Safety, handling and feel. Even with the auto ac on everytime it returns around 12.5 kmpl in tvm city( crawling in second gear) and 19 on highways( keep it around 80 to 120). The car had been reliable so far ( touchwood).

See if you can get a newer one for that price.! Preferably post 2012 model with same kms clocked. Anyways buy fiats with a mindset to keep it for quite sometime or else depreciation would hit quite hard.

Regards,
Umesh.
Umesh Kumar61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2015, 16:39   #52
BHPian

Default Finalized to select a used 50k Kms run Fiat Linea for 4 lakhs. Is it worth? Fiat owners please guide

Hi all,

My dad just sold his 8 year old Chevrolet spark because of some engine niggles. Now planning to take a used Fiat Linea, as many 2009/10 Diesel Lineas are available in my area for less than 4 lakhs. My question is, is it a good choice to take a Linea as a used car? Will it show any issues being a Diesel? What are the common problems of the car? Linea owners please shower upon your thoughts.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 3rd September 2015 at 16:52. Reason: Post moved to existing thread. Please SEARCH before creating new threads on topics already being discussed. Thanks!
vishnurajanme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2015, 19:55   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Finalized to select a used 50k Kms run Fiat Linea for 4 lakhs. Is it worth? Fiat owners please g

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurajanme View Post
Hi all,

My dad just sold his 8 year old Chevrolet spark because of some engine niggles. Now planning to take a used Fiat Linea, as many 2009/10 Diesel Lineas are available in my area for less than 4 lakhs. My question is, is it a good choice to take a Linea as a used car? Will it show any issues being a Diesel? What are the common problems of the car? Linea owners please shower upon your thoughts.
You should easily be able to find many and take a decision to buy one as well.

There are no such issues with the Linea that should really bother you to own one!

One of my friend picked up a 2010 Linea that had run 28,000 KMS and soon after this we drove to Ladakh and returned. The car never had any issues before and neither did it show up any issues during the drive too. As of today, the Odo should be around 55,000 kms.

Please make sure to follow the basic practice of verifying the history of the vehicle before purchase - Accidents, Unresolved issues, Warranty claims in the past etc etc.

If possible, pick up a Linea that still has the extended Warranty coverage so that It can always be beneficial for you during the ownership till whenever the warranty is applicable.

Check when were the following parts replaced - Clutch, Brake Pads, Tires, Battery which will help you ascertain the immediate expenses once you buy it.
paragsachania is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2015, 10:51   #54
BHPian

One doubt. If I approach Fiat Service center for knowing about the service history and accident history of the car, will they reveal it? Also, if any unresolved issues if present?
vishnurajanme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2015, 11:26   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One doubt. If I approach Fiat Service center for knowing about the service history and accident history of the car, will they reveal it? Also, if any unresolved issues if present?
Yes. Visit the F.A.S.S in person to get the service history of the particular vehicle. They will show the history on PC, I'm not sure if they share the printed copies.
Mr.Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2015, 13:03   #56
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: Is a used Fiat Linea (diesel) a good buy

Quote:
The FASS might not be able to confirm of any unresolved issue in the car but yes, they might help with the service history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Yes. Visit the F.A.S.S in person to get the service history of the particular vehicle. They will show the history on PC, I'm not sure if they share the printed copies.
AFAIK, this service does not come free of charge, FASS charge a certain amount to dish out the information. Also they would need a confirmation from the current owner to divulge the details.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2015, 13:50   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
AFAIK, this service does not come free of charge, FASS charge a certain amount to dish out the information. Also they would need a confirmation from the current owner to divulge the details.
Certain FASS charge for this service and a few ask for the photocopy of RC, but I got the service history of my Linea free of cost from TAFE Chennai.
Mr.Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2015, 10:28   #58
BHPian

Default Re: Finalized to select a used 50k Kms run Fiat Linea for 4 lakhs. Is it worth? Fiat owners please g

Quote:
Hi all,

My question is, is it a good choice to take a Linea as a used car? Will it show any issues being a Diesel? What are the common problems of the car? Linea owners please shower upon your thoughts.
I have had my Linea diesel for 5 years plus now. I have not had any major issues with quality. I had an initial problem with AC that was fixed under warranty, only took too much time. Then I have had replacements of tyres, battery, suspension, clutch. Nothing unusual considering 5 years of usage in the wild terrain of Mumbai.

Only issue has been in availability of spares. A friend told me just today that he could not get wipers replaced for 8 days at Thane dealer. I had problems with spares whenever I needed them.

I want to change my car, but I do not find an interesting alternative, so I continue with the linea. Solid engine, no rattles, no unreliability. And perfect manners on the highway. I do at least one longish drive a year.

The only time the car died on me was when some ECU wires got damaged, probably bitten by rodents?

Hope this helps.
karthik_rao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2015, 13:05   #59
Senior - BHPian

I got my Linea pre-worshipped, did pay a premium but I was okay considering it was a 6.5K driven 1 year old car in brand new condition. Its at 25K now and I have just had to do one regular service. The battery is giving up now as I can see airbag failure message, but thats fine considering the car is 3 years old now. Apart from that, the only issue i had was that the front carpet was getting wet because of pipe to remove the water (AC) got disconnected. That was fixed at the service. No niggles, no rattles(touchwood).
sammyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2015, 01:33   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...Now planning to take a used Fiat Linea, as many 2009/10 Diesel Lineas are available in my area for less than 4 lakhs. My question is, is it a good choice to take a Linea as a used car? Will it show any issues being a Diesel? What are the common problems of the car? Linea owners please shower upon your thoughts.
Definitely a good car, very competent. I guess my post (#47) on this thread could help.

But IMO be open to other cars too, if you're getting a good deal. Back in 2013, I'd chosen the Linea for 3.75L instead of a pristine pre-worshipped petrol, 28k run, 2008 Corolla Altis GL for 6.5L.

Both were excellently maintained. Although different segments, car Price & fuel cost wasn't an issue to me personally. Since I was confident I could get good service support from FIAT, I decided to take the plunge.

Quote:
Ofcourse, they'll definitely reveal it. See the car and first check for basic stuff like engine sounds, interiors etc. Then if you like it, whenever both parties decide, take it to the ASC for a diagnostic check and a study of the service history.

FIAT ASC didn't charge me for the check-up, the head mechanic drove it and the SA who was free studied through the whole service history & gave me an all clear (that there's no major issue). He even told me how much the Used Car Dealers usually quoted for a car entering its 5th year back then.

If there's any issue, and you like the car otherwise, ask the previous owner to clear the same. Or negotiate based on what it'll cost. But most preferably the former - ask the owner to get everything done, if he's not keen, find out all precautions on cost of repairs.

FASC doesn't provide hard copy of the service history, I've tried from the highest levels, they'll only show it in their systems. Sometimes the systems are slow & sometimes the Service Advisors are busy, so being patient helps.

Enjoy & Drive safe

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 10th September 2015 at 01:49.
GrammarNazi is offline   Reply With Quote