Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2011, 17:04   #1
BHPian
 
megazoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 183
Thanked: 128 Times
Default Keep the Ford Mondeo, or Get a Skoda Laura 1.8 TSI?

Folks,

Am in a dilemma of sorts where I can't decide between whether to go for a new TSI classic or retain my old mondeo. This question assumes importance as my mondeo clutch is due for replacement and I have already paid a booking advance for the TSI. But I still am not convinced that it should be the TSI.

Have driven both cars and while one is a great engine and a young car, the other is a fabulous handler and is really a drivers car while being no slouch. I have a swift turbo petrol which is my daily drive to work and is a great car for all kinds of terrain. Reason for stating this is that I already know what a turbo feel is.

To be frank, i can't seem to let go of the mondeo. Just feel that all the driving fun can be had in the car with routine expenses over the years and need not really put hard earned money for one more turbo petrol. Please note that the doubt has nothing to do with skoda service etc.

If I am buying TSI, the mondeo will have to go. The swift cannot go. Its too young. Hence the dilemma. What do you guys suggest?
megazoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 18:01   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,713
Thanked: 88,943 Times
Default Re: New TSI or Old Mondeo

Except for the sweet 1.8L turbo engine, the Mondeo beats the Laura hands down in driving pleasure. Super steering, well-sorted suspension (facelift Laura is way too soft) and even the Mondeo's engine is quick enough.

You'll get peanuts for the Mondeo if you sell it today, while the cost <-> driving pleasure ratio simply isn't in favour of the Laura 1.8 TSI. My suggestion : Keep the Mondeo, and spend a li'l money in sprucing it up.

If you currently own a nice car, well, KEEP IT. From your perspective, the differential value of the Skoda is very poor.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 18:48   #3
BHPian
 
megazoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 183
Thanked: 128 Times
Default Re: New TSI or Old Mondeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Except for the sweet 1.8L turbo engine, the Mondeo beats the Laura hands down in driving pleasure. Super steering, well-sorted suspension (facelift Laura is way too soft) and even the Mondeo's engine is quick enough.

You'll get peanuts for the Mondeo if you sell it today, while the cost <-> driving pleasure ratio simply isn't in favour of the Laura 1.8 TSI. My suggestion : Keep the Mondeo, and spend a li'l money in sprucing it up.

If you currently own a nice car, well, KEEP IT. From your perspective, the differential value of the Skoda is very poor.
GTO,

I am exactly in the same frame of mind and completely agree with your line of thinking. This query was probably because I could never convince myself about the TSI's value after having driven the Mondeo. Its the best handler in stock form that I have experienced.

A snap of what I would lose...
http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...26967445_n.jpg
megazoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 18:57   #4
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,759
Thanked: 6,665 Times
Default Re: Keep the Ford Mondeo, or Get a Skoda Laura 1.8 TSI?

By Tsi classic you mean the version without even alloy wheels right? In that case avoid it, keep your mondeo. Then maybe you can wait a while and upgrade to the RS which will have pretty sharp handling.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 19:00   #5
BHPian
 
Speed.Demon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Kochi/Manama
Posts: 251
Thanked: 428 Times
Default Re: Keep the Ford Mondeo, or Get a Skoda Laura 1.8 TSI?

Well, the Laura does have a beast under the hood, but the Mondeo will have the Laura running for cover when it comes to the handling dept. If you really want to keep the Mondeo, add a few performance upgrades to the engine, and then the ol' gal will easily keep up with the TSI.
However, the Mondeo being an old car, (if you are going to keep it, it will get older still) you might have trouble when it comes to getting spare parts and the like.

If handling is what you really want, why not go for the new Fiesta? More of the awesome Ford handling DNA passed down to an all new car, with lots of features to boot. Now, I haven't driven the car, but from what the TBHP reviews tell us, she's a real sweet handler(as expected from a Ford). Too bad the new car doesn't have the 1.6 petrol of the old Fiesta S.

Linky to review : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ve-review.html (Ford Fiesta : Test Drive & Review)
Speed.Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 19:10   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,325 Times
Default Re: Keep the Ford Mondeo, or Get a Skoda Laura 1.8 TSI?

I wonder how easy it is for you to get proper service and spares for your Mondeo.
That alone would be the decider.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 19:12   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
mayankjha1806's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: BLR/Gurgaon
Posts: 2,133
Thanked: 820 Times
Default Re: Keep the Ford Mondeo, or Get a Skoda Laura 1.8 TSI?

How many Kms Mondeo has completed. If it isn't old enough that warrants a change then why change it? I come from the mindset if it does not need replacing then don't replace it.

Also please remember the Tsi Classic comes with next to nothing (Alloy wheels, or decent ICE etc).
mayankjha1806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 19:15   #8
BHPian
 
megazoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 183
Thanked: 128 Times
Default Re: Keep the Ford Mondeo, or Get a Skoda Laura 1.8 TSI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
By Tsi classic you mean the version without even alloy wheels right? In that case avoid it, keep your mondeo. Then maybe you can wait a while and upgrade to the RS which will have pretty sharp handling.
Akshay

Would it have made sense even with alloy wheels? I think not. Even otherwise, my plan was to buy the cheapest TSI available and put wheels on it myself (assuming that I get 16'' 112 PCD's or whatever comes on skoda). But I still think that is not reason enough to buy the TSI.

The RS being a better choice for sharp handling is right except for the fact that one is paying 20lacs in bangalore for sharp handling. A little too much for that necessity.
megazoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 19:20   #9
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,759
Thanked: 6,665 Times
Default Re: Keep the Ford Mondeo, or Get a Skoda Laura 1.8 TSI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by megazoid View Post
Akshay

Would it have made sense even with alloy wheels? I think not. Even otherwise, my plan was to buy the cheapest TSI available and put wheels on it myself (assuming that I get 16'' 112 PCD's or whatever comes on skoda). But I still think that is not reason enough to buy the TSI.

The RS being a better choice for sharp handling is right except for the fact that one is paying 20lacs in bangalore for sharp handling. A little too much for that necessity.
I wasn't specifically talking about the rims. I just meant that is really devoid of any features and even though there is an almost 2l discount on it, it doesn't really make sense. Rather than that, on the Ambiente (Now Ambition) you get 1l off maybe more. Now this would make more sense since you at least get a couple of more additional features.

Of course discounts on the RS are just 35-40k now.

What I'm saying is that since you are looking for a fun car, between 12-28 lacs or so, till the Superb V6, the RS is the only proper fun car there is to drive. Stock that is. Of course you can get a normal tsi and spruce it up.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 19:29   #10
BHPian
 
megazoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 183
Thanked: 128 Times
Default Re: Keep the Ford Mondeo, or Get a Skoda Laura 1.8 TSI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
Well, the Laura does have a beast under the hood, but the Mondeo will have the Laura running for cover when it comes to the handling dept. If you really want to keep the Mondeo, add a few performance upgrades to the engine, and then the ol' gal will easily keep up with the TSI.
However, the Mondeo being an old car, (if you are going to keep it, it will get older still) you might have trouble when it comes to getting spare parts and the like.

If handling is what you really want, why not go for the new Fiesta? More of the awesome Ford handling DNA passed down to an all new car, with lots of features to boot. Now, I haven't driven the car, but from what the TBHP reviews tell us, she's a real sweet handler(as expected from a Ford). Too bad the new car doesn't have the 1.6 petrol of the old Fiesta S.

Linky to review : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ve-review.html (Ford Fiesta : Test Drive & Review)
thanks. Will check it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I wonder how easy it is for you to get proper service and spares for your Mondeo.
That alone would be the decider.
Have had no issues so far. Have always owned out of production cars It takes a week or so for the part to arrive after placing the order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
How many Kms Mondeo has completed. If it isn't old enough that warrants a change then why change it? I come from the mindset if it does not need replacing then don't replace it.

Also please remember the Tsi Classic comes with next to nothing (Alloy wheels, or decent ICE etc).
close to 95K on the odo. But the engine is sweet and revs like it was born yesterday. The mondeo is running a set of 4 new dampers.

Last edited by megazoid : 6th December 2011 at 19:35.
megazoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 19:41   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,713
Thanked: 88,943 Times
Default Re: Keep the Ford Mondeo, or Get a Skoda Laura 1.8 TSI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
upgrade to the RS which will have pretty sharp handling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by megazoid View Post
This query was probably because I could never convince myself about the TSI's value after having driven the Mondeo.
Here's a win-win situation. How about keeping the Mondeo for another 2 years, and then swapping it for a pre-worshipped Laura 1.8 TSI? You can bet that virgin Laura 1.8 TSIs can be had for 6 - 7 lakh rupees in 2013.

Plus, the Mondeo won't lose anything in resale in the two years. Talk of having your cake and eating it too.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 20:15   #12
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Panjim, Goa
Posts: 362
Thanked: 156 Times
Default Re: Keep the Ford Mondeo, or Get a Skoda Laura 1.8 TSI?

Unless it's becoming bothersome maintaining your mondeo (frequent niggles, availability of parts etc.), keep the mondeo. If I were in your place, I would spend another lakh or so in sprucing it up, maybe a few performance mods and keep the mondeo for a couple of years and then trade it for a used TSI when maintaining the mondeo becomes a problem.
Astleviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 20:36   #13
BHPian
 
Hayek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bombay
Posts: 709
Thanked: 1,633 Times
Default

Presume your Mondeo is at least 5 years old. Personally, I think it makes sense to change cars when they are around 6, as they do start getting very troublesome after that. Buying new versus pre owned is a matter of perspective and affordability. My first car was a pre owned Zen which I kept for 7 years more, but maintenance costs on a simple carburettor based car were not material, a Mondeo or a Laura is a different kettle of fish. Plus you run into the classic lemon problem unless you can find a known car like Swanand did with his Superb (or I did with my Zen for that matter).

So my recommendation is this - if your car is 4 or 5, keep it for a couple of years more; but if it is pushing 6, replace it now.
Hayek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 21:03   #14
BHPian
 
AirWind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 808
Thanked: 75 Times
Default Re: Keep the Ford Mondeo, or Get a Skoda Laura 1.8 TSI?

A basic Laura 1.8 TSi cannot keep you happy after your Mondeo, period!

If you are open to pre-owned, consider an Octavia vRS (or even a TPi that can be sprused up) else a Cedia in Sports trim and dump a MIVEC or run to Red Rooster Performance!
AirWind is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2011, 00:13   #15
Senior - BHPian
 
lamborghini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,631
Thanked: 1,258 Times
Default Re: Keep the Ford Mondeo, or Get a Skoda Laura 1.8 TSI?

Why not get a Linea T-JET and keep the mondeo?
Just out of the box. The Linea though not as fast, is loaded and a superb handler!
lamborghini is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ford Mondeo XR-5 Turbo & Ford Mondeo Reviewed Brosreview Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 8 27th September 2008 03:02
To keep or not to keep...am confused lohithrao Sedans 13 9th April 2008 10:48
Modded Red Ford Mondeo! + KS Motorsports Turbo/NOS Mondeo Gordon Modifications & Accessories 82 19th October 2006 21:34


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:59.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks