Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

View Poll Results: Which car would you buy NOW?
Baleno 98 60.49%
Ford Fiesta 1.6 64 39.51%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 9th April 2006, 17:32   #211
BHPian

Makeover of Baleno's interiors should also be possible, then Baleno wins in this aspect also.

Here is Zen's internal Makeover !!!

Check out Scorpio's internal makeover ...

Check out Skoda Octavia's makeover...
Old 9th April 2006, 20:35   #212
BHPian

Just two months back before purchasing my Baleno, I test drove(always with 4 people) NHC ZX, Baleno and Fiesta, the following were my observations between Fiesta 1.6 and Baleno Vxi. I test drove Chevy Aveo 1.4 LS today, am including aveo 1.4 LS too into my earlier comparision....

1. Looks : Fiesta looks like a merc, what more can i say. NHC, didn't like the post-modern design, Baleno - if looks matters the most no one will buy a baleno. Aveo looks pretty good.

2. Power : Baleno seemed powerful compared to Fiesta. NHC is underpowered. In my testdrive there is a slope, both Fiesta and Baleno were able to climb on 2nd gear, but on NHC we had to use 1st gear. Aveo 1.4 was more powerful than NHC [But the engine noise is very strange, but i dont expect this to be an influencing factor in decision making.].

3. AC : During sunny afternoon, Baleno took about 2 minute to cool, Fiesta took about 4 minutes to cool. (Blower was too noisy in Fiesta). NHC took about 3 minutes and its blower is too noisy. Aveo 1.4 AC took about 4 minutes to cool.
Climate control feature in Baleno seems very convenient.

4. Steering & Control : In Baleno the steering feedback is good, But Fiesta/NHC steering seemed very artificial with very little feedback. Aveo steering & control is excellent.

5. Interiors : NHC looked great, Fiesta seemed pretty good, Baleno nothing to talk about. Aveo 1.4 LS is very good but still NHC looks much more brighter.

6. Seating Comfort : Baleno seats seemed unbelievable both at the front and back with the armrest. NHC was pretty good but not as good as Baleno. Fiesta driver seats were good, but the rear seats seemed big but not comfortable, the hand rest has cupholders which is uncomfortable, because the cupholder plastics touches your arms.

In Aveo the thigh support is very good, the head-support is not good as your head doesn't touch the headrest unless you lean backwards. For short drives seating comfort was OK, but long drives without headsupport might be little uncomfortable. Rear-seat center armrest is not provided and the arm-rest on the side door is uncomfortable as the inside door handle is wrongly placed.

7. Suspensions : Baleno seems to sail over bad roads, Fiesta is OK, NHC rear-seats vibrates a lot. [NHC guy told that in ZX model to increase the ground clearance they have made the suspensions stiffer]

Aveo suspensions are very good.

8. Ground clearance : Both NHC and Fiesta are good, they didn't scrape anything during my test drive. Baleno it scraped 1 speedbreaker. Though on paper all of them claim around 170 mm, only Baleno seemed to scrape.

Aveo rules here, i didn't touch the bottom even once because i took a horrible road for test drive after reading that it has the highest ground clearance and it did live upto its claims. [Bangaloreans I am sure will love this GC in Aveo]

9. Headlights : Baleno is very poor. NHC and Fiesta were very good. Aveo lights are OK.

10. Fuel economy : Based on user feedback, Baleno 10.5, NHC 14, Fiesta 12. Donno about Aveo 1.4
Old 9th April 2006, 21:53   #213
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Well from venkats post its quite evident that the baleno scores over all the above mentioned cars in terms of performance , handling over bad roads , seating comfort , interior space , AC , steering inputs etc .. The only downside is the bottom scraping (which has a solution) , poor headlamps (which im very much comfy with) and poor FE (which according to me is bcoz of a lot of negative publicity about it being a huge sedan and hence expected to give low FE mantra) .. Personally i get 15 kmpl in town and so does v1p3r .. And to say that guys aging from 21-24 get these kinds of FE figures just about sums up the FE figures that the baleno can churn out .. And when the talk comes to performance , its next only to the OHC VTEC ..

The only downside is the looks according to a FEW HERE .. I love the looks of the baleno and so do a lot that i know off .. When it comes to looks , u may feel that preity zinta doesnt look good where as aishwarya rai does .. I beg to differ and so do u .. So that shouldnt be a point to argue upon .. To each his own .. Talking in terms of performance , handling which are common to all the baleno rules inspite of being an OUTDATED car .. Thats what matters most and we are happy with the choice ..
Old 9th April 2006, 23:29   #214
BHPian

what can i say ?? cars don't sell 'only' coz they have a good engine

and i wouln't say baleno 'blows the fiesta away' in performance ..... acc to ACI there is a 0.3sec diff in its 0-100 timings... can some1 enlighted me on the 1/4mile timings for the two cars ????
so for those looking for fun to drive perfomance cars .... i wouln't strike out the fiesta ... not when offered for that price ... though baleno does have an edge over the fiesta on the perfomance front ... its not by as big a margin as percieved by alot on this forum ... low end torque is another adv the baleno has .... as for the handling ... i personally don't think the baleno is better than the fiesta in that dept. ... maybe i need to drive both a bit more to really come to a conclusion
as for the interiors ... fiesta by a long way

p.s-but if one's 'main focus' is performance --->> modded baleno ... no ques about that

Last edited by Fiero : 9th April 2006 at 23:40.
Old 10th April 2006, 00:28   #215
BHPian

A few months back when I had zeroed in on baleno (after ruling out petra), upcomming fiesta forced me to hold on. When it was launched, I was quite curious to get as much information about it as I can gather... even thought of starting this baleno-fiesta comparison which Aseem has done. But as the reviews came pouring in, I was more than sure that my choice was right. My vote goes to BALENO, of course! I would have gone for it even if this poll turned out to be in fiesta's favour....

Looks and "outdated" stamp (read relatively less snob value) are only con sides of baleno. Personally, I never had any problem with its front and side view look. I hate the infamous back side, as it looks ugly and over swollen. All said and done, it certainly has a character and a big/luxury car feel (so called "C+"?). Alloys, wider tyres make it look much better than stock, which I have put primarily for their technical advantages. What it doesn't have is a few frills like "jewel effect" lights which seems to be the current trend. Others being beige/dual colored interiors, chrome treatment here and there. It has electric mirrors instead, which I think are cool and useful too. I am not for ABS (so far, I haven't been able to convince myself about its usefulness), but I might have paid extra bucks for air-bags if they were available.

IMHO, baleno is here to stay, at least for now... we need something radically different, and that too with a competitive price tag in order to beat it!

I am quite happy with my purchase, have done just 2k km so far. FE wise, it has returned an overall average of 9.7 kmpl during this period. It includes mostly city driving...must mention that its Bangalore city, that too in horrible airport road traffic (stretch from HAL market to indiranagar flyover), mostly 2nd/3rd gear driving in first 1k km running in period, AC on 70% of the time (blower on all the time), short distance- roughly 5km one way every day, using only ordinary unleaded petrol from various pumps. Considering all the facts, I think the FE figure is good, though slightly below my expectation of 10.0+. I have heard a lot about shell petrol on this forum. Recently spotted a shell pump on old madras road close to my residence, so planning to give it a try this time!
Old 10th April 2006, 00:46   #216
BHPian

A few months back when I had zeroed in on baleno (after ruling out petra), upcomming fiesta forced me to hold on. When it was launched, I was obviously quite curious to get as much information about it as I can gather... even thought of starting this baleno-fiesta comparison thread which Aseem has done. But as reviews came pouring in, I was more than sure that my choice was right. My vote goes to BALENO, of course! I would have gone for it even if this poll turned out to be in fiesta's favour....

Looks and "outdated" stamp (read relatively less snob value) are only con sides of baleno. Personally, I never had any problem with its front and side view look. I hate the infamous back side, as it looks ugly and over swollen. All said and done, it certainly has a character and a big/luxury car feel (so called "C+"?). Alloys, wider tyres make it look much better than stock, which I have put primarily for their technical advantages. What it doesn't have is a few frills like "jewel effect" lights which seems to be the current trend. Others being beige/dual colored interiors, chrome treatment here and there. It has electric mirrors instead, which I think are cool and useful too. I am not for ABS (so far, I haven't been able to convince myself about its usefulness), but I might have paid extra bucks for air-bags if they were available.

IMHO, baleno is here to stay for now, at least among people like us who can be sort of addicted to tbhp, who don't mind spending (or wasting ) time reading threads like this one ... we need something radically different, and that too with a competitive price tag in order to beat it!

I am quite happy with my purchase, have done just 2k km so far. FE wise, it has returned an overall average of 9.7 kmpl during this period. It includes mostly city driving...must mention that its Bangalore city, that too in horrible airport road traffic (stretch from HAL market to indiranagar flyover), mostly 2nd/3rd gear driving in first 1k km running in period, AC on 70% of the time (blower on all the time), short distance- roughly 5km one way every day, using only ordinary unleaded petrol from various pumps. Considering all the facts, I think the FE figure is good, though slightly below my expectation of 10.0+. I have heard a lot about shell petrol on this forum. Recently spotted a shell pump on old madras road close to my residence, so planning to give it a try this time...
Old 10th April 2006, 07:18   #217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885
The only downside is the bottom scraping (which has a solution) , .
What is the solution for this.. dont tell me to raise the car or something like that.. i am suffering from the same thing in my baleno too..

Also the FE from my car is around 13 with a/c in city driving conditions..
Highway mileage i could not test as i have not taken any long trips on the baleno yet.

As far as the looks are concerned i like the new balenos clear head lamps as well as the new tail lights.. on a black baleno it looks great

Last edited by Godfather : 10th April 2006 at 07:20.
Old 10th April 2006, 07:46   #218
BHPian

Default Baleno

Fiesta seemed small to me as well. I ended up posting my car search story here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-c...-my-story.html

The search has eventually become a Baleno vs Fiesta question. I am 80% for Baleno, and lack of ABS here is the only point holding me up.

BTW, I joined TBHP last night, have been a reader for over an year. Very nice forum (basically means - great admins and good moderation!).
Old 10th April 2006, 10:14   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkatrx
10. Fuel economy : Based on user feedback, Baleno 10.5, NHC 14, Fiesta 12. Donno about Aveo 1.4
Guys,

FE I have posted based on others feedback. I have been owning Baleno for one month, I have done about 1500 kms. I am very confused at the FE i am getting, as others have mentioned in the forum with 100% AC on highways I got 14.3, 15.2 and 16.1 and my long drives. But in the city driving condition(in bangalore) I have got 9.2, 8.3 and 7.9 This seems unbelievable but still after 3 readings I am confused. I drive pretty decently not very light footed not too hard.

Highways getting like most others but in city unbelievable. I am always doing a fulltank to fulltank to check the FE. Every time fulltank is autostop filling. Guys has anyone else found this kind of discrepancy?
Old 10th April 2006, 10:37   #220
Distinguished - BHPian

Venkatrx, I find your FE figures too low than what is normal for a Baleno.
My Baleno returns 12 and 16kmpl in city (conditions almost same as Blore) and Highway (AC is always on). Viper and mclaren in Blore get 15 (i think Ac is not used). A below 10 FE is abnormal and needs to be checked if it is the case.

Unlike bikes (where we have the quite reliable reserve-to-reserve method of measuring FE), the usual way of measuring FE in cars has lot of variables (just search this forum and you will find different threads on that). The usually suggested method is fulltank-to-fulltank method which is not entirely fool-proof. Reasons being air-pockets in fuel tank while filling up, the tank full on both occasions not being similar, issues with auto-cutoff etc.
If you want to get an accurate figure, you could do the following. The next time you give the car for service, ask the service centre to do an FE test. They have a special contraption for this (actually no rocket science). It is a plastic container of known volume (250ml or so). It would have one outlet pipe (provides fuel to the engine) and an inlet pipe (receives the unused "return" fuel from the engine). Fill known quantity of fuel, connect the pipes accordingly and drive around till the fuel is over (make sure you drive at time and condition similar to the one you normally do). This should give you an accurate FE figure.

Note : I am not sure whether the 2nd pipe would be relevant for MPFi engines. In my old carb M800, the petrol tank had a hose to deliver petrol to the carb and there was a return hose to the fuel tank via which unused petrol would return to the tank. So, while measuring FE, both pipes were needed.
Old 10th April 2006, 10:48   #221
BHPian

Quote:
This is incorrect. Baleno is atleast 13 or 13.5 if you put the NHC at 14. I have never got less than 15.5 on the Baleno on my highway drives. The mileage is between 15.5 and 17.8 kmpl. I never drive with a light foot.

Also in the city Baleno gives me between 13.5 and 14.5 in Chd with 100% AC all the time and many short drives of 1 km to and fro. Many times it trumps my Swift Zxi in mileage stakes.

As for the comparo between Fiesta 1.6 and Baleno:

Engine: Baleno all the way.
Suspension: Evenly matched.
Interiors: Fiesta
Space: Baleno is much more spacious. Tall guys cannot sit on the front seat beside the driver and the seat behind the driver in the Fiesta.
Seating comfort: Baleno's front seats have amazing lumbar effect and back support(read testimonials of rally drivers).Tireless long drives even on hills.
Looks: Fiesta. (Although it still looks less longer than it actually is).

Both cars are good. For me the Baleno offers more for every INR paid.
Old 10th April 2006, 12:12   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
Venkatrx, I find your FE figures too low than what is normal for a Baleno.
My Baleno returns 12 and 16kmpl in city (conditions almost same as Blore) and Highway (AC is always on). Viper and mclaren in Blore get 15 (i think Ac is not used). A below 10 FE is abnormal and needs to be checked if it is the case.
Supreme, I find your FE pretty much logical 16 on highway and 12 in city.

Me almost simialr on highway about 15/16 and city around 8 doesn't make sense. Autocut off / airpocket should cause the petrol volume change by more than 0.5 litres i suppose. Anway I do refill after about 10 to 15 litres of usage. So i believe it could be a different technical problem or someone could be stealing petrol when parked in public areas. Is it easy for someone to steal petrol from a Baleno?
Old 10th April 2006, 13:22   #223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjimmy
Engine: Baleno all the way.
What makes you think that Baleno has better engine than Fiesta?
Old 10th April 2006, 18:34   #224
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
There is nothing to think about .. In terms of performance or in terms of torque the baleno engine is ahead of the fiesta , only thing that comes close is the palio 1.6 GTX .. Just yesterday afternoon i had the TD of the 1.6 fiesta , NHC VTEC and the viva CRDI .. Finally my aunt decided to go in for the CRDI ..

My take on the cars :

1. Fiesta : Engine is pretty responsive , but not as quick revving compared to the baleno .. Its quite evident that its slower than the baleno (now did any of u know that the BS III baleno actually doesnt put out 91 bhp , its less than that ??) .. .. Coming to the torque , its quite ok .. But one will have to stick onto atleast 2.3-2.5k revvs to feel comfy .. The suspension setup is pretty neat , the car handles well .. But the biggest let down was the seating comfort .. Or maybe im just spoilt by the baleno ... Steering response is good but the one on the baleno is better .. Overall fiesta is a good car , it has a quiter engine than the baleno , but when ur at 6k revvs who needs the engine to be quite .. I feel that was the only place where the fiesta scored over the baleno .. Lets not get to the looks part of it now .. We respect the fact that most of these cars are new , have that fresh feel .. We accept and admit that fact , but i personally dont find the baleno bad at all from any angle .. I love the looks ..

NHC VTEC : The major worry on this car is the lack of low end torque , once in the right revv band the car sails smoothly but the instant surge u get on the OHC is lacking to an extent .. Steering response is impressive , however too much pronounced body roll .. Well the engine is pretty smooth , high revving but i feel its been detuned quite a bit .. No wonder it gives great FE figures .. But once the secondary opens up the car pulls and does sound sweet .. It sails over speedbumps effortlessly ..

CRDI : Now this certainly is a good city car .. Presence of low end torque amazed me and the engine seemed bit noisy .. The suspension is just about rightly setup .. However one thing tht it lacked was steering inputs .. Its very hard to judge where exactly the wheels are doing what ? I thought i was the only one feeling this , until one day psycho confirmed the same .. Also the seating comfort wasnt much to my liking .. My left hand kept hitting the seat while changing gears .. Once u take the car into the higher revvs the car does sound noisy but it pulls too .. All in all a good car , also an added advantage that its a HYUNDAI and their service rocks .. And with a pete's tuning box i can see my uncle having a wide grin across his face .. All in all a great package , with pete's even the downsides could be looked upon ..

Didnt get to TD the aveo as the dealer couldnt get around to give us a demo car ..

After this , one thing is for sure .. Its made my POV on all these cars very clear .. And no amount of arguments would make any of these cars different from what i found them to be ..

PS : I hope some of u dont get hard on me for this post ..
Old 10th April 2006, 18:38   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
exactly ... baleno is way lighter than the fiesta ... and the diff in outright straight line performance is 'not that much' (maybe some non-baleno/fiesta owners to testify ??)... the baleno is slightly quicker coz of the overall package ... not just the engine.

i own neither ... ive driven both a few times ... both are gr8 fun to drive
fiesta is quicker than some people here think.

p.s - if you belive in car mags ... check out a few for timings

Last edited by Fiero : 10th April 2006 at 18:40.
Closed Thread