Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans


View Poll Results: Which car would you buy NOW?
Baleno 98 60.49%
Ford Fiesta 1.6 64 39.51%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2006, 12:17   #256
BANNED
 
mclaren1885's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bangalore (the city of modded cars) !!
Posts: 4,821
Thanked: 28 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (10)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem
I think its quite clear those who buy Baleno, buy it for FE, percieved engine performance, and Maruti after sales.
Aseem bhai u have no idea , do u ?? Atleast two of us (v1p3r and myself) here on the forum never bought the baleno because of its FE or maruti A.S.S it was performance (next only to the OHC VTEC in that segment)... And percieved engine performance ?? Well i have no words to say .. Maybe u need to visit bangalore soon .. It could be due to light weight and the likes , but fact is its quick and none can deny that ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman
Why would we need v1p3r's baleno to do a test on acceleration or even fuel economy???? Why can't we have a regular Baleno to Fiesta battle? I notice you always refer to v1p3r's baleno whenever a point is to be proven.......would just like to understand why? Is it because its tuned up just perfectly enough to prove your point?]
Im very good friends with v1p3r .. He is one guy who would give me his car with closed eyes dont think i would feel comfy asking other members for their cars .. I refer to his car only because its a BS II and not detuned by the company like the BS III version .. Also v1p3r's car is BONE STOCK .. Apart from the tyre upgrade .. I would love to use my own car for ur tests , but like i said its gone into psycho's workshop for the works for speedrun .. So unless u guys want run against her ??? I hope that clears the point about refering to v1p3r's car ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman
Maybe there was a problem with the particular car....I've now covered almost 2.5k and one of the highlights is the lower rev torque. I've shifted on occasion from 2nd to 3rd at around 1.7k and the car is effortless & smooth, have never felt a "gasp"....which gear were you shifting to when it gasped?
__________________
Could be , never denied the fact .. But highly improbable according to me that something would be wrong with the car.. The shifts were from 2nd to 3rd and from 3rd to 4th at 1500 rpms ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Shiva
Baleno's light weight and great torque make it a much better city driver than the Fiesta. Absolutely no contest there.

Fiesta's power comes much later...which makes it decent for highway use, but no match for the Baleno in the city.

And yes, I have test driven both cars before posting comments.
I agree to boom ..

Also i would like to ask a few members here as to what they classify as being " a better engine " ?? Is it a quiter engine ?? pure performance ?? torquey nature ?? FE figures ?? That would really help understanding ur definition of BETTER ..

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 11th April 2006 at 12:18.
mclaren1885 is offline  
Old 11th April 2006, 13:20   #257
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 30
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Well, as I mentioned earlier, I just picked Baleno over Fiesta after TD'ing and comparing both. Opinion on looks are subjective, leaving that, there are only two real diff b/w te two cars
- Safety = ABS.
- "Modern" car

And Fiesta 1.6 SXI will be 1.2 - 1.5 L extra depending on what discounts you manage.

Now, whats so modern about Fiesta?

Interiors are "new = different" - some diff type of plastic and colors inside - not necessarily modern. Reading lights, more cupholders - if these count more than seating comfort and leg room, yes Fiesta is better

Talking engine - perhaps this is one modern thing in Fiesta. Newly designed, better tuned for India? May be. Jury is still out on this one.

To me, it just boiled down to ABS for additional Rs 1.3L or no. And I said no. Even my accord in US didn't have ABS.

Summing it up, 1) if you are ok with Baleno's looks, and the fact that it is an "old" model, only then take a testdrive (or else you will get into a big dilemma!). 2) Biggest reason many folks have voted for Baleno is its price. It is a true VFM car with high speed braking being the only compromise.

This is it folks, and Aseem. Nothing more. Let us close this poll. and start a new one after 6 months when some real ownership reports come in.
cutthecords is offline  
Old 11th April 2006, 13:34   #258
Senior - BHPian
 
Psycho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,042
Thanked: 95 Times
Default

I am just wondering why is the Baleno being compared to so many cars over so many threads, guess it means that it is value for money maybe across multiple categories like cost of ownership, maintenance, performance, FE etc...

Quite a few people here have also agreed that the Baleno is a better buy, however what I cannot understand why do these arguments carry on... If people didnt like other cars they wouldnt be sold, yes there have to be plus points to every car which leads a person to buy them.

Lets leave the battles for the car magazines, at least they do them before the car even comes out giving us a partial picture on each of the cars.
Psycho is offline  
Old 11th April 2006, 13:36   #259
BHPian
 
prince85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 967
Thanked: 84 Times
Default

I would like to keep it short and sweet as i do not like to fight like cats and dogs over small issues. Personally own a Baleno after a lot or research and test drives that includes Ford Fiesta 1.6sxi and NHC Vtec.

Personally, the Baleno it is over the Fiesta. And i read somewhere in this thread that Baleno is more favoured in TBHP........ Well!!! its not for nothing, The Baleno is favoured in TBHP coz Its Just That Damn Good!!!!! and what more, the votes in this thread confirm that!

Cheers

Last edited by prince85 : 11th April 2006 at 13:38.
prince85 is offline  
Old 11th April 2006, 14:19   #260
BANNED
 
mclaren1885's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bangalore (the city of modded cars) !!
Posts: 4,821
Thanked: 28 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (10)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho
I am just wondering why is the Baleno being compared to so many cars over so many threads, guess it means that it is value for money maybe across multiple categories like cost of ownership, maintenance, performance, FE etc...

Quite a few people here have also agreed that the Baleno is a better buy, however what I cannot understand why do these arguments carry on... If people didnt like other cars they wouldnt be sold, yes there have to be plus points to every car which leads a person to buy them.

Lets leave the battles for the car magazines, at least they do them before the car even comes out giving us a partial picture on each of the cars.
compltely with psycho .. Whatever be the reason the balenos are selling in pretty big numbers and as long as there are buyers there shouldnt be any worries .. And the poll numbers too suggest that its preferred over the fiesta .. So let peace prevail ..
mclaren1885 is offline  
Old 11th April 2006, 14:23   #261
Newbie
 
RK4060's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 5
Thanked: 9 Times
Default Fiesta

The best car that one can drive today from the available ones in the market today will be a FIESTA 1.4 diesel with 15" alloy wheels. To make it perform better use tyres with a lower aspect ratio such as 205/50 R15
RK4060 is offline  
Old 11th April 2006, 14:32   #262
BHPian
 
Fiero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: new delhi / pune
Posts: 293
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

i don't think its any coincidence that those 'most vocal' against the fiesta are baleno owners
Fiero is offline  
Old 11th April 2006, 14:37   #263
BHPian
 
Fiero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: new delhi / pune
Posts: 293
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

anyways no arguing with the poll results ... 60-40 in favour of baleno ... thats in no way a 'unanimous' choice in favor of baleno though ... i think there is more to it than which is the 'better car' ...

i guess this poll shows that 'at the given price' baleno is prefered by a majority of the people on the forum ...

i think the argument is getting kind of silly now , with people trying to prove which is the 'better car' ... just state your choice and your reason ... thats should suffice
Fiero is offline  
Old 11th April 2006, 14:51   #264
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,381
Thanked: 14,302 Times
Default

The thread starter has clearly mentioned that the poll comparision is between Baleno Lxi vs Fiesta 1.4 and Baleno Vxi vs Fiesta 1.6 only.

Now that I have moved away from Bangalore, I live in a house which has both Baleno Lxi and Fiesta 1.4 and I drive them both regularly. It goes without saying that Baleno Lxi blows the Fiesta 1.4 away in ride comfort, A/C, power and drivability in city and highway.
Samurai is offline  
Old 11th April 2006, 14:54   #265
Distinguished - BHPian
 
supremeBaleno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Weekdays@Chennai, Weekends@Kerala
Posts: 5,164
Thanked: 1,638 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiero
i guess this poll shows that 'at the given price' baleno is prefered by a majority of the people on the forum ...
Have to disagree with what you are trying to imply about the poll. This poll was pretty simple - "Which car would you buy today of the two?".
And the poll results make it pretty clear.

i think the argument is getting kind of silly now, with people trying to prove which is the 'better car' [/quote]
It is only logical and common sensical that people would only buy stuff that they feel is better. Apply that to the poll results and you get your answer.
supremeBaleno is offline  
Old 11th April 2006, 15:11   #266
BHPian
 
Fiero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: new delhi / pune
Posts: 293
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
It is only logical and common sensical that people would only buy stuff that they feel is better. Apply that to the poll results and you get your answer.
i disagree with your logic ... if baleno was priced at 8 lac then the poll results might be different ,as alot of people would have voted keeping in mind what they would 'buy' if given a choice.

there may be many reasons which influence individual preference. it does 'not' translate to better 'baleno engine' and 'better car' ... its more the 'better package' , which i do not dispute.

Last edited by Fiero : 11th April 2006 at 15:14.
Fiero is offline  
Old 11th April 2006, 15:20   #267
BHPian
 
Fiero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: new delhi / pune
Posts: 293
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
"Which car would you buy today of the two?".
And the poll results make it pretty clear.
is it not logical that 'price' does play a factor ???

my argument was pertaining to classification of the baleno as a 'better car' ... instead of a 'better buy' ,which is what the poll was supposed to imply.

Last edited by Fiero : 11th April 2006 at 15:24.
Fiero is offline  
Old 11th April 2006, 15:35   #268
Distinguished - BHPian
 
supremeBaleno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Weekdays@Chennai, Weekends@Kerala
Posts: 5,164
Thanked: 1,638 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiero
is it not logical that 'price' does play a factor ???
It surely does. And while evaluating the 2 given choices, the voter would have taken that also into consideration when deciding which car he would buy of the two. And there is no logic in speculating what would have been the poll results if Baleno was priced at 8L. The poll is based on what the ground realities are today, not on speculation.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 11th April 2006 at 15:38.
supremeBaleno is offline  
Old 11th April 2006, 15:38   #269
BHPian
 
triggercool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: MUMBAI
Posts: 154
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

I think baleno is best.
triggercool is offline  
Old 11th April 2006, 16:28   #270
Senior - BHPian
 
aseem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,737
Thanked: 416 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885
Aseem bhai u have no idea , do u ?? Atleast two of us (v1p3r and myself) here on the forum never bought the baleno because of its FE or maruti A.S.S it was performance (next only to the OHC VTEC in that segment)... And percieved engine performance ?? Well i have no words to say .. Maybe u need to visit bangalore soon .. It could be due to light weight and the likes , but fact is its quick and none can deny that ..
..
Rahul, I will surely come and give you a visit in Bangi. I own an Esteem and have driven a Baleno many a times, so I know about the performance on these cars. The reason I say percieved performance is, that if anyone reads this thread, would mistake Baleno is a supercar.
I understand many people in the forum own Baleno, whether they bought it for performance, FE or A>S>S is immaterial. I dont want to argue with any Baleno owners or offend anyone, as I have stated, we all love our cars.
Lastly, most people buy Baleno as its VFM and gives good performance for its price. I am sure if we had better machines available, or if we had more money, than Baleno wont even figure in our debates or discussions.
It is just that with so limited options and cheaper standard of living and standards that we have to choose between the few options we have. Among these limited options we have, we take in to account FE, A>S>S, cheaper maintainence, etc. If we get ok performance than thats a plus.

The only thing that I suggest is that please lets not get carried away with cars we own. We are discussing like children which car is faster by 0.25 of a second, which I believe is purely academic. Its like we are discussing which bike is faster between a Yamaha RXG or a Suzuki Shogun, I know Shogun is faster, but its merely academic as what difference does it make if a bike has got 14 bhp or 12 bhp, as we are no way close to the intl standards of 50+ horses.
To summarize, Baleno is fast compared to Indian standards, but lets put things in perspective before we go overboard and start over emphasizing the performance and get carried away.
aseem is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCi ZXi 60,000 kms. review / Still fida over the fiesta Sugeeta Long-Term Ownership Reviews 60 29th September 2015 12:18
1.4 Fiesta EXI TDCi or Swift VDi EDIT - Booked Fiesta ZXi iamkapilb What Car? 28 6th March 2010 08:26
Ford Fiesta 1.4D ZXi Ownership Woes. EDIT : REPLACEMENT FIESTA. Pics on Pg. 5 Mad Monkey Long-Term Ownership Reviews 105 3rd March 2010 15:26
Altis vs SX4 vs ANHC vs Fiesta. EDIT : Black Fiesta 1.6S it is! tarunt Sedans 25 30th September 2009 18:32
Please help me decide: Fiesta S or Fiesta ZXi? EDIT: Booked Fiesta S! Pics on pg5. frankmehta Sedans 108 18th August 2009 13:43


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:58.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks