Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

View Poll Results: Which car would you buy NOW?
Baleno 98 60.49%
Ford Fiesta 1.6 64 39.51%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 14th March 2006, 11:36   #16
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi1771
ford fiesta 1.6sxi over the baleno whatever model personally own a fiesta1.6sxi
Does it matter to you that Fiesta Sxi is 1.5L costlier than Baleno Lxi? If not, why stop at Fiesta? Staying within C segment, I would prefer City ZX VTEC over either Baleno or Fiesta. Faster than Baleno and better interiors than Fiesta.
Old 14th March 2006, 12:30   #17
BHPian

I did test drive both the Fiesta and Baleno before finally getting myself the Baleno VXi.

I think Baleno gives a feeling of luxury while the Fiesta does not..
All the minor things including electronic rear view mirror adjustment, climate control, the hugely comfortable low back support (and seating in general) are all pluses in the Baleno.

Minor nits are things like keyless entry not being standard in the Fiesta. While Baleno comes with keyless entry as well as engine immobilizer. Also, the Baleno wheels are bigger

Engine performance is better in the Baleno.

Another funny thing I found was:

The Duratec name does not stand for any improved technology, but the fact that the engine is made of aluminium instead of iron (as was the case with Ikon)

IMHO, if you can get past the looks factor/contemporary styling factor, Baleno is much more value for money. And the fact that Ford was refusing to negotiate did not help either..

Also, the Ford dealership (Cauvery) in Bangalore did not seem very friendly/upbeat/helpful with my queries.. So, I was not convinced they would do a better job of treating me once I make the purchase..
Old 14th March 2006, 12:44   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgc_cool
I did test drive both the Fiesta and Baleno before finally getting myself the Baleno VXi.

I think Baleno gives a feeling of luxury while the Fiesta does not..
All the minor things including electronic rear view mirror adjustment, climate control, the hugely comfortable low back support (and seating in general) are all pluses in the Baleno.

Minor nits are things like keyless entry not being standard in the Fiesta. While Baleno comes with keyless entry as well as engine immobilizer. Also, the Baleno wheels are bigger

Engine performance is better in the Baleno.

Another funny thing I found was:

The Duratec name does not stand for any improved technology, but the fact that the engine is made of aluminium instead of iron (as was the case with Ikon)

IMHO, if you can get past the looks factor/contemporary styling factor, Baleno is much more value for money. And the fact that Ford was refusing to negotiate did not help either..

Also, the Ford dealership (Cauvery) in Bangalore did not seem very friendly/upbeat/helpful with my queries.. So, I was not convinced they would do a better job of treating me once I make the purchase..
fiesta sxi does come with keyless entry and also it does have electronic adjusment of rear view mirrors
Old 14th March 2006, 12:52   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
Does it matter to you that Fiesta Sxi is 1.5L costlier than Baleno Lxi? If not, why stop at Fiesta? Staying within C segment, I would prefer City ZX VTEC over either Baleno or Fiesta. Faster than Baleno and better interiors than Fiesta.
first of all i dont like how the baleno looks for that matter everyone in my family maybe it has a excellent engine or vfm not my taste even new cars dont look that new only the black ones have some charm as for the zxvtec i prefer cars which handle well
Old 14th March 2006, 13:37   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi1771
fiesta sxi does come with keyless entry and also it does have electronic adjusment of rear view mirrors
And the remote is re-programmable which is additional; and kgc, I would not have let one un-friendly dealer color my opinion in any way if I wanted to buy a particular car; not that I'm suggesting you will not be happy with your Baleno, I'm sure you will

Just that the Baleno has been around for AGES & AGES & i wanted a car with a new look, so..........

Also, IMHO, the Duratec technology that you've written off as being just another aluminium gimmick is actually a lot more than that.....

Last edited by suman : 14th March 2006 at 13:40.
Old 14th March 2006, 14:27   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai

BTW, my Father-in-Law is getting his Fiesta 1.4 delivered today.
so Mr. Samurai should we consider this statement of urs as the final nail in the coffin as regards this poll ?

~A
Old 14th March 2006, 14:51   #22
Senior - BHPian

the fiesta any day. As dev said ,baleno when introduced here was already past its prime. heck i would go for a Fiesta 1.4 over any baleno maan !

adding a climate control , alloys and stuff doesnt cut ice now with the baleno. when it was launched at abt 9 lacs - all these goodies should have been provided , and maybe MUL would have been laughing all the way to the bank and not REVISING the prices of the car.
Old 14th March 2006, 15:14   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman
And the remote is re-programmable which is additional; and kgc, I would not have let one un-friendly dealer color my opinion in any way if I wanted to buy a particular car; not that I'm suggesting you will not be happy with your Baleno, I'm sure you will

Just that the Baleno has been around for AGES & AGES & i wanted a car with a new look, so..........

Also, IMHO, the Duratec technology that you've written off as being just another aluminium gimmick is actually a lot more than that.....
Hmm.. sounds like a salesman can completely change the view one gets!

can you post some info on what duratec is all about.

Fiesta was quite promising.. but well.. too bad it didn't work out for me..
Old 14th March 2006, 15:29   #24
Senior - BHPian

Red face

Quote:
Hmm.. sounds like a salesman can completely change the view one gets!

Fiesta was quite promising.. but well.. too bad it didn't work out for me..
Now that Fusion has flopped, Ford salesman's motto has become 'Hum tho anything karega.. to sell a Fiesta'
Old 14th March 2006, 15:35   #25
Senior - BHPian

Since i'm a sucker for japanese engines and cars, I'm a Baleno on this!
Old 14th March 2006, 15:37   #26
BANNED

Hey the Fusion is a nice car. Ford just managed to screw it up with its bad marketing and pricing, but the car itself is great. Anyways, I guess this is offtopic...
Old 14th March 2006, 15:39   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityapd
so Mr. Samurai should we consider this statement of urs as the final nail in the coffin as regards this poll ?
~A
I didn't say my father-in-law took my advice . He told us yesterday after he booked it.
Old 14th March 2006, 16:19   #28
Senior - BHPian

At the present time, I agree Fiesta is slightly overpriced, as its not offering huge discounts like Baleno. The reason Baleno is offering discounts is that its getting dated, and Maruti strategy is to push sales by discounting Baleno. I have never questioned the FE, cost of running, or Engine of Baleno. However I have never liked its looks, interiors or road presence personally. The only Baleno's I find OK looking are in Black color, and with alloys. However I think thats more to do with the color and alloys than the car itself.
If only MUL had brought a vastly redesigned Baleno, with fresh interiors, better rear... my opinions would have been different. If Baleno was half decent looking with good interiors, this poll would have been totally in favor of Baleno. However at the present time, this battle is evenly poised between the MUL loyalists and those who like newer Fiesta.
Old 14th March 2006, 16:23   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You could try Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Duratec_engine

The rocam was a predecessor if one may call it as such but the Duratec is definitely a generation ahead
Old 14th March 2006, 16:23   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem
However at the present time, this battle is evenly poised between the MUL loyalists and those who like newer Fiesta.
Evenly poised? Isnt Baleno leading the polls?
Closed Thread