Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

View Poll Results: Which car would you buy NOW?
Baleno 98 60.49%
Ford Fiesta 1.6 64 39.51%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 16th March 2006, 17:21   #91
BHPian

i completely agree that baleno is nyday a better deal.

but for some strange reason whenever i m talking 2 people that i want 2 change 2 baleno next month they r kinda hesitant. giving different excuses like "if the car was good why wud the company b giving discounts" etc. some of u guys own a baleno for long "supremeBaleno", pls give me ur valuable feedback on this. i will b goin for a 2002 or 2003 baleno. what things should i take into consideration and how much on the odo is just about right 2 buy this "BEAST". i have a budget of 3.25 max pls suggest.
Old 16th March 2006, 17:29   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveendhyani
but for some strange reason whenever i m talking 2 people that i want 2 change 2 baleno next month they r kinda hesitant. giving different excuses like "if the car was good why wud the company b giving discounts" etc. some of u guys own a baleno for long "supremeBaleno",
this is true - baleno needs a better brand image, other than just being VFM - people actually start doubting the intentions of the company in making the product so VFM

one colleague of mine had his mind set against the baleno for its very pricing, though convinced of its benefits - "VFM will always give u the kind of feeling that you are not getting the best your money can buy"

fiesta on the other hand - has acquired a very good brand image - with the fida ads and AB jr. - kudos to ford on such good marketing
Old 16th March 2006, 17:46   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveendhyani
but for some strange reason whenever i m talking 2 people that i want 2 change 2 baleno next month they r kinda hesitant. giving different excuses like "if the car was good why wud the company b giving discounts" etc. some of u guys own a baleno for long "supremeBaleno", pls give me ur valuable feedback on this. i will b goin for a 2002 or 2003 baleno. what things should i take into consideration and how much on the odo is just about right 2 buy this "BEAST". i have a budget of 3.25 max pls suggest.
Naveen, mine was bought new last year. I have never bought a used car and I am not good at gauging a used car - thus prefer the reliability and assurance that comes with a new car. I guess mclaren1885, v1p3r, iceman etc are the experts and might be able to help you on picking up a good used Baleno. But from what I read about mclaren's efforts on getting a used Baleno in B'lore, he was not successful and finally went for a new Baleno. Anyway, Good luck on getting your baby.

Regarding the misconceptions that people have about Baleno discounts, you could refer the following post of this thread.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/191950-post74.html
Old 16th March 2006, 18:39   #94
Senior - BHPian

Ok, I have barely glanced through this thread, but let me tell you why I would buy a Baleno again, over a Ford.

The day the Fiesta was launched, there were big banners at Metro Ford with AB Jr exhorting me to step inside and take a test drive and go fida or whatever. So I did, since I wanted a CRDi competitor for my mother. I waited around twenty minutes for someone to show up, though the place was packed with prospective customers. I was told to "wait sir, he will come soon". So I did the touch-feel appraisal of the car. The salespeople knew jacksh!t, and it was left to me to explain to some other people, what TDCi(?) meant, and why less power wasn't so bad. Finally the sales guy said sorry, no test drives. I asked why, and they said they don't have cars. When I pointed to the gleaming pieces of metal we were sitting in, and the huge hoardings outside, he said, "no saar, only display. company naat given yet".

Today morning I called up RNS Motors, for a close friend who is deciding between a Swift and Wagon R. I was put onto the relevant person in 30 seconds. All my details were taken down, repeated, and I was promised I would hear from them. In 3 hours, a courier arrived with price lists, finance options, brochures etc for the Wagon R, Swift, and the Alto.

Now you tell me, this is the treatment meted out to some random person. Who would you choose?
Old 16th March 2006, 18:46   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
And BTW, looks like there are more guys that prefer the power, reliability and rock-steady assurance that comes from age and maturity in say Sharon Stone / Julia Roberts / Rekha than the flimsy initial seductiveness of the Kareena types.
I think everybody agrees that Baleno is not a good looker. Now comparing Baleno to Sharon Stone and Julia Roberts.... wishful thinking Sharon Stone is even hotter to look at than Kareena.... I would rather compare Baleno with great actress Nutan. She is dated, not a good looker, but a great actress (spelt engine).
Old 16th March 2006, 19:38   #96
BHPian

Friends
Why this kareena and sharon stone & nutan coming in when we are comparing cars??? i think we all should be matured enough not to go this way...

reading through all the post the fact is repeated again and again
Baleno - good engine, efficient, dated...
Fiesta - new, better interiors and looks...

I bought my baleno 2 years before when they launched the lxi at a low price..and those days everybody was against since there was hardly any Balenos on the road...But it proved to be a true value for money for that price during those days...(Between my baleno has run only 11000 odd kms as I live in Dubai and the car is driven only during my vacations and therefore iam yet to find out any major problems with the car)

Now the car looks certainly dated (Only in looks both interior & exterior, i repeat) and i would go for a better looking and more mordern car if given a choice...BUTTT Not a ford fiesta... cos my dad had owned an ikon 1.8D and we were totally pissed of with its reliability, maintenance cost and worst ever possible service of kairaly ford in cochin...If Skoda, GM or more appropriately Honda or mitsubishi or Toyota (the jap ones) offer a C segment sedan n ths price range I will surely not go for the baleno...

However my vote for the current thread is for a baleno and i still would consider a baleno instead of a fiesta cos i dont want to take a chance when spending that kind of money..(Typical Indian Customer)....May be after a year once it's proven...i will rethink

CAT
Old 16th March 2006, 20:40   #97
Senior - BHPian

baleno is not as reliable as fiesta
baleno interiors are not as good as fiesta
baleno doesnt look as good as the fiesta
baleno doesnta handle as well as the fiesta
baleno doesnt ride as well as fiesta
baleno is too old while Fiesta has just been launched
both are equally powerful

Baleno is justa bit more fun to drive than fiesta(lost ikon character)
Baleno has maruti backing against the not so bad fiesta

Now these are my personal opinions and I dont find a reason I should vote for baleno.
Old 16th March 2006, 20:51   #98
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy
i dont know what to say !
It's been a pretty long time since I drove / sat in a Baleno. Though I didn't particularly love its seats, I found it's interior space pretty good. It was certainly better than the Fiesta's. Quality wise, Fiesta is ahead.
Old 16th March 2006, 20:55   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
baleno is not as reliable as fiesta
baleno interiors are not as good as fiesta
baleno doesnt look as good as the fiesta
baleno doesnta handle as well as the fiesta
baleno doesnt ride as well as fiesta
baleno is too old while Fiesta has just been launched
both are equally powerful

Baleno is justa bit more fun to drive than fiesta(lost ikon character)
Baleno has maruti backing against the not so bad fiesta

Now these are my personal opinions and I dont find a reason I should vote for baleno.
Oh, oh. All this while on the thread, you were pretty logical, buddy. Why then this post which is mostly the opposite ?
What exactly is your definition of "reliable" ? And what makes the Baleno not as reliable as the Fiesta ?
I have not seen Fiesta interiors, hence not commenting on that point.
Looks are very subjective. It is just your opinion that the Fiesta looks better - others would disagree.
Handling - I am no expert on this. Would let others who know, answer.
Baleno does not ride as well ? What is that supposed to mean ?
Old 16th March 2006, 21:21   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
Oh, oh. All this while on the thread, you were pretty logical, buddy. Why then this post which is mostly the opposite ?
What exactly is your definition of "reliable" ? And what makes the Baleno not as reliable as the Fiesta ?
I have not seen Fiesta interiors, hence not commenting on that point.
Looks are very subjective. It is just your opinion that the Fiesta looks better - others would disagree.
Handling - I am no expert on this. Would let others who know, answer.
Baleno does not ride as well ? What is that supposed to mean ?

I am still logical my friend read the words that say its my personal opinion.

Baleno has always been known to be the most fragile car. you can check the various articles on this. I am not saying your car is bad in any ways. I am just saying this on the basis of all the articles and reviews.

well most have concurred its the worst looking car along with corolla and NHC. Fiesta certainly is not among the three.

handlingwise take a test drive of the car at highspeeds. judge handling and cornering abilities of both the fiesta and baleno.

I dont own a baleno or a fiesta. I have driven my friends baleno a lot and I have driven the ikon on which the fiesta is loosely based. My opinions are based on that and what others majorly say.
Old 16th March 2006, 21:32   #101
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
Baleno has always been known to be the most fragile car. .

handlingwise take a test drive of the car at highspeeds. judge handling and cornering abilities of both the fiesta and baleno.
Could u pls explain to us what exactly does " fragile " according to u mean ??

Also devarshi , dont know how well u have tested the "handling" of the baleno .. I/we have taken it on a track and trust me it handles amazing , maybe the lancer is the only car which handles better .. So who would want to give us their fiesta to have a go at the track .. That should finally end the debate in regard with the handling and the fiesta engine being as good (or just about there) as the balenos .. The only downside of the baleno right now is its looks .. And we all accpet that fact .. Not that we all are whining about it lookin like a schorcher ..

And yes like i have said earlier baleno still stands out in the crowd whereas a fiesta DOES NOT .. Why would someone want to put in hard earned money and not be noticed ..
Old 16th March 2006, 21:55   #102
Team-BHP Support

OK chaps, time to cool things. Each person is entitled to his / her thoughts. I don't own either of these cars and I don't think I'll be buying them. However, I've sat in and driven both and put forward my thoughts.
Remember, this thread has a poll and if the Baleno is winning it, fair enough.
Old 16th March 2006, 22:23   #103
Senior - BHPian

McLaren, I am sure that you have upsized the tyres on your Baleno. On stock tyres, the Lxi is a nightmare while cornering on high speeds. Therefore the handling on stock tyres is what is being questioned here. Also Baleno's front suspension has a problem that most owners face, it makes a khud sound on speed breakers and pot holes. Ground clearance on speed breakers is another issue with the Baleno. Lastly I am not sure if Baleno is as safe a hatch as Fiesta, its merely a 1000 kg, same as Swift, and even though it ignites the boy racer in you, it doesnt inspire the confidence in safety department. Its just my feeling that the car is not as safe as some of the newer cars like Fiesta and Swift, that come with ABS and EBD, and Airbags etc.
Old 16th March 2006, 22:32   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem
McLaren, I am sure that you have upsized the tyres on your Baleno. On stock tyres, the Lxi is a nightmare while cornering on high speeds. Therefore the handling on stock tyres is what is being questioned here. Also Baleno's front suspension has a problem that most owners face, it makes a khud sound on speed breakers and pot holes. Ground clearance on speed breakers is another issue with the Baleno. Lastly I am not sure if Baleno is as safe a hatch as Fiesta, its merely a 1000 kg, same as Swift, and even though it ignites the boy racer in you, it doesnt inspire the confidence in safety department. Its just my feeling that the car is not as safe as some of the newer cars like Fiesta and Swift, that come with ABS and EBD, and Airbags etc.
54 pple here think otherwise.......
Old 16th March 2006, 22:37   #105
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem
Oh trust me aseem u havent been doing some reading on the other threads have u ?? I ran my baleno with the stock 165's trust me and i was quite happy taking C1 at over 130 km/hr (with the VXis the tyres u get are only better) .. I think u were the one who was going "baleno baleno" everywhere a few months back .. And now i see this .. Times do change pretty fast .. Also the GC issue is not with the baleno its more to do with the design of the speedbumps here ..

Anyways im off this topic for good .. Happy debating !!!!

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 16th March 2006 at 22:38.
Closed Thread