Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 30th December 2011, 16:51   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Replacement for Ford Ikon 1.6 ZXI NXT – What NEXT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Those who have evaluated City and the other cars mentioned – does the Japanese feel safe and solid in comparison with the Euro competition like the VW, Skoda or a Fiat?
It does not feel as solid. But, it's not flimsily built either. If your/ your parents running is within sane driving limits [I am guessing your chauffeur's will be ] then it feels very safe.
The plus side is the peace of mind that is quite akin to a Toyota. Also, of interest to you is the superb backseat in the City. I usually travel in the backseat in the city and I felt very good even over long journeys.
The cabin is super silent too.
The only grouse from a driving point of view is the 'machine' like behavior of the car. It does not connect too well with the driver [Sorry, I am bad at using technical jargon].
Hope this helps.
ra'ul M is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2011, 16:54   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Satya for stepping in. GTO’s review + your ownership thread (and Karthik’s) was one of the main reasons for having the T-Jet in my list. I have not had any firsthand experience with the Linea (experienced the T-Jet as a passenger in the Bravo).

The T-Jet would have occupied the top spot if I am staying at my hometown to drive the car regularly. In the current scenario, a lot depends on the efficiency of the dealer/ASC. Well, I will still pay and visit to the dealership and see how the experience is in person. Plus, the discounts at this moment are huge
Thanks VB. You know that I got the T-Jet after selling my Linea MJD and I also compared it against the cars you are considering now during my purchase. Though the situation by then was different.. Like VW dealers were not even ready to speak because of the huge demand for the Polo and Vento.

However, Whats the fun in getting the T-Jet when it will not be driven by you 70% of the time. In this case, Honda makes perfect sense since it can move people around comfortably and given the Honda A** and reliability, you will get peace of mind.

But in Chennai atleast, I have no issues with FIAT A** and my car did not visit the Service Station except for the free Services (my total service expenses on my T-Jet for the last 16000kms is 3200rs - second service costed me 3.2k) and even if there is a complaint, the guys over here are good, cordial and know what they are doing. But I agree that it may not be consistent across states.. Thats a fact which FIAT is trying to correct and I am sure they will.

If you need a Diesel mill - Vento/ Rapid makes sense.. for me Rapid makes more sense though because of the VFM tag (If you ask me, then I will say Linea MJD will also fit here - Adequate Power, low lag and "superior" dynamics - MJD is one of the cars I fear when I drive my T-Jet on a highway.. because I know what it is capable of)

If you go one level above - Corolla is THE car to be in when driven by a chaffeur. Superb levels of comfort, reliability and Peace of Mind.

Last edited by Sathya_sc : 30th December 2011 at 17:10.
Sathya_sc is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2011, 17:14   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathya_sc View Post
Acceleration and performance of T-Jet not comparable to City!!!! I am stunned to hear this statement. If you are saying this purely based on paper figures (118ps vs 114ps or 0-100 figures) I am not sure whether it is right. I have driven both extensively and I own the T-Jet now and I can confidently say that your statement is incorrect (no offence meant buddy pls.).
I stand corrected. I absent minded-ly was thinking of the FIRE engine. When i wrote that and it was wrong of me to do so.
amrisharm is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2011, 18:56   #49
BHPian

VB, from reading this thread, it appears that you have not done TD of any of shortlisted cars. Is it so? If yes then I strongly suggest to take a TD of all cars because I used to praise VW Vento (and call it one of best cars in India) until I actually sat in rear seat and traveled a bit. Now I'm never considering Vento if I need a new car.

What I'm saying is that everyone has a personal preference which is tested only during a TD. Do sit both in front and rear seat during TD.

It's kinda disappointing to see that you have ruled out Laura. As per my personal experience, Laura beats the competition by a mile in terms of performance, safety, space, comfort and "feel" and is totally worth paying the premium. Though I'm wary of a Skoda's maintenance.

Comfort in City is ok-ok. Performance is also ok-ok despite having 116.4 BHP (since engine is more of mileage tuned). Never have sat in a Fiesta but having sat in Fords (and owning a Figo), I will be really eager to TD it before considering another car even if it has lower performance than the competition.
DevilsCry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2011, 19:06   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak77 View Post
Hey VB! I would have suggested the fiesta but since you say it will be chauffer driven, I rule that one out. Also, as you know the fiesta's backseat is one of its low points. Since you are not hell-bent on diesel I would suggest you to go for the Honda City VMT or AT. The city does have a comfortable backseat and you can be sure it will be reliable.
I second Carfreak here. I also had Ford Ikon 1.6 NXT ZXI for 6yrs before changing over to Honda City VMT in March 2011. I am glad I took this wise decision and I am really enjoying the power, comfort, mileage, etc etc for almost 9 months now.

I did TD Vento, Fiesta, SX4 before deciding on ANHC V MT. If I had not gone for V MT, my default option would have been Ford Fiesta High end without any second thoughts as none of the cars that I TD came anywhere near to Fiesta/ V MT.

Cheers,
Kiran
kirantp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2011, 19:17   #51
Senior - BHPian

While I agree with the comments on backseat comfort/reliability/peace of mind and ownership cost with respect to the city and how it makes a perfect choice for you, I somehow cannot oversee getting a Rapid TDI elegance at almost the same OTR cost but with a oil burner. Now, that is a very good value proposition, not to forget the rapid is fun to drive compared to the city.

Please TD all these when you are here and then take a final call, whatever your choice is, I wish you a very happy and memorable ownership experience.
bala80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2012, 11:33   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Go for a Toyota for this upgrade and become a convert for life. Your driving requirement should shortlist it to a Toyota Corolla Petrol. Do give it a thought.

Once you experience the niggle free experience from Toyota, I doubt you will go back to any (lower) brand.
Thanks Dkaile! Altis no doubt is an ideal upgrade, and I am sure the car will provide hassle-free ownership experience. But I find the price tag of 14 lakhs ex-showroom too steep for the GL MT. If I am spending that much on a petrol car, the obvious choice for me will be Laura 1.8 TSI (around 14.5 lakhs OTR).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra'ul M View Post
It does not feel as solid. But, it's not flimsily built either. If you/ your parents running is within sane driving limits [I am guessing your chauffeur's will be ] then it feels very safe.
The plus side is the peace of mind that is quite akin to a Toyota. Also, of interest to you is the superb backseat in the City. I usually travel in the backseat in the city and I felt very good even over long journeys.
The cabin is super silent too.
The only grouse from a driving point of view is the 'machine' like behavior of the car. It does not connect too well with the driver [Sorry, I am bad at using technical jargon].

Hope this helps.
Thank you! It does help.
I get the point of connecting with the driver. I guess we don’t have many in the segment who have mastered the art – probably the Fiat and Ford are exceptions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post
VB, from reading this thread, it appears that you have not done TD of any of shortlisted cars. Is it so? If yes then I strongly suggest to take a TD of all cars because I used to praise VW Vento (and call it one of best cars in India) until I actually sat in rear seat and traveled a bit. Now I'm never considering Vento if I need a new car.
What I'm saying is that everyone has a personal preference which is tested only during a TD. Do sit both in front and rear seat during TD.
Comfort in City is ok-ok. Performance is also ok-ok despite having 116.4 BHP (since engine is more of mileage tuned). Never have sat in a Fiesta but having sat in Fords (and owning a Figo), I will be really eager to TD it before considering another car even if it has lower performance than the competition.
You are right. I have not TD’ed any of the cars mentioned. That will happen once I travel back to Kerala (in a few weeks’ time). What I am doing now is the base work, and the final decision will be made only after the test drives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry
It's kinda disappointing to see that you have ruled out Laura. As per my personal experience, Laura beats the competition by a mile in terms of performance, safety, space, comfort and "feel" and is totally worth paying the premium. Though I'm wary of a Skoda's maintenance.
Well, I still have a soft spot for the Laura. I will get a TD scheduled for that as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirantp View Post
I second Carfreak here. I also had Ford Ikon 1.6 NXT ZXI for 6yrs before changing over to Honda City VMT in March 2011. I am glad I took this wise decision and I am really enjoying the power, comfort, mileage, etc etc for almost 9 months now.
I did TD Vento, Fiesta, SX4 before deciding on ANHC V MT. If I had not gone for V MT, my default option would have been Ford Fiesta High end without any second thoughts as none of the cars that I TD came anywhere near to Fiesta/ V MT.
Thanks Kiran, similar scenario then. I am looking forward to the test drives now

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
While I agree with the comments on backseat comfort/reliability/peace of mind and ownership cost with respect to the city and how it makes a perfect choice for you, I somehow cannot oversee getting a Rapid TDI elegance at almost the same OTR cost but with a oil burner. Now, that is a very good value proposition, not to forget the rapid is fun to drive compared to the city.

Please TD all these when you are here and then take a final call, whatever your choice is, I wish you a very happy and memorable ownership experience.
Thanks for stepping in. I have been closely following your informative thread on the Vento (and Noop’s), and thats one reason for shortlisting the Vento.

I do agree that the Rapid is a hard to ignore option in the diesel avatar; more because the TDI elegance costs the same as City V-MT. And I am not too vary of the so called Skoda AS&S woes.
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2012, 11:57   #53
Team-BHP Support

Vb-san,

Since you said you are are ready to stretch for Laura TSI,
I would say, instead stretch for the Altis Petrol.

You get amazing back seat comfort, trouble-free operation, and when needed,
a very decent highway performance as well.

Since you won't be clocking much on the odo, I think both the petrol version and
at same time, mileage should not be burning a big hole in your pocket.

And if mileage is a concern, even the diesel Altis would be good idea.
Since you won't be concerned about the power (as you would comfortably ensconced in the back seat),
it should be a good option.

PS: At the same time not a bad idea to see whats coming in the Auto-Expo.

Last edited by ampere : 1st January 2012 at 11:58.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2012, 01:18   #54
Senior - BHPian

Hi Vb, its been quite some time and you haven't updated anything in the thread. Have you made any decision? Have you test driven the cars? I am eagerly waiting to know your decision .

Last edited by rameshnanda : 17th January 2012 at 01:20.
rameshnanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2012, 07:51   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
Hi Vb, its been quite some time and you haven't updated anything in the thread. Have you made any decision? Have you test driven the cars? I am eagerly waiting to know your decision .
Thanks Ramesh. Yes, been a couple of weeks since I updated the thread. My trip to India was initially planned around this time, but had to reschedule. So the idea of cashing on the year-end discount is gone

For now, based on the various feedback and analysis, I have decided to look at diesel options only, with one exception for Petrol - Laura TSI (subjected to the offers and discounts available)

I have refined the list further, and I plan to TD the top variants of the following – Rapid TDI, Linea MJD, and VW Vento TDI. Linea MJD is the latest edition (based on the 2012 upgrade), and I am interested to see how eager is the dealership to do business.
Old 17th January 2012, 09:39   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Ramesh. Yes, been a couple of weeks since I updated the thread. My trip to India was initially planned around this time, but had to reschedule. So the idea of cashing on the year-end discount is gone

For now, based on the various feedback and analysis, I have decided to look at diesel options only, with one exception for Petrol - Laura TSI (subjected to the offers and discounts available)

I have refined the list further, and I plan to TD the top variants of the following – Rapid TDI, Linea MJD, and VW Vento TDI. Linea MJD is the latest edition (based on the 2012 upgrade), and I am interested to see how eager is the dealership to do business.
Great. If you are interested in Laura TSI, I think you can still get the 2011 model. Even today, I saw a newspaper advert from Skoda mentioning 1L offer on Laura.
rameshnanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2012, 11:34   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
Great. If you are interested in Laura TSI, I think you can still get the 2011 model. Even today, I saw a newspaper advert from Skoda mentioning 1L offer on Laura.
Understand that Skoda's stock movement is every quarter.Q1 deliveries will be Q4 manufactured models of the previous year. Given the fact that Skodas dont fly off the shelf makes this sound logical.So, if you book now, you will get a end 2011 manufactured car.

The official corporate discount on the Laura TSI Active and Ambition is 1.25 lakhs, however you can eek out more if you go in with a serious intent to buy.
mnemonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2012, 14:52   #58

Hi VB, The best pick of the lot should be the New Ford Fiesta, especially since your current car is an Ikon 1.6. The car may be expensive, but is a looker and definitely the best driver's C segment car in India today and is loaded with features. The Auto option that is likely to be on sale soon might also be worth considering
The Vento being too similar to the Polo till the B pillar and does not possess distinct a character of its own. The Rapid is too new to comment on and Skoda's service in India has always been a letdown.
Another alternate worth looking at is the Line TJet if you are ok with Tata's sevice network. The car is amazing. The only negative I see here is Fiat's brand image in India may cost you quite a bit in terms of resale value.
n.ananth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2012, 19:47   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

My trip to India is now rescheduled to mid-April, and hence the inactivity in this thread. Thanks for all the responses.

At this point these are the cars I plan to TD then:
1) Skoda Rapid TDI Elegance
2) Ford Fiesta Titanium
3) Fiat Linea
4) Skoda Laura TSI

And probably there will updates to this list in a couple of months.