Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2013, 12:09   #31
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kerala
Posts: 76
Thanked: 73 Times
Default Re: Buying a used Skoda Laura

Hello EagleEye,

Came across your post and thought I would chime in with my views. I own a 2006 Skoda Laura MT L&K which was bought 2 years ago. When I bought it, it had clocked over 90,000kms was very well maintained with all service records in place.

It is hard to find less used Skodas in the market and even if you do the asking price will be on the higher side. Buying a 2006 Skoda is alright if the vehicle is well maintained with service done at proper intervals. Having used Skodas for the last 6 years myself I can say that Skoda engines and parts are built to last. I have seen Laura and Octavia which have done over 3L kilometers and still running like new. It all boils down to how well the car is maintained. All the electronics on my car are working fine till date (touch wood).

Things you may do are:

1. Call/Visit Skoda service centre, give them the vehicle number and they will get the service history for you. Look for any major repairs or part changes.

2. The best things would be to see if you can talk the seller into accompanying you with the vehicle to the nearest Skoda service centre. Some sellers won't be willing. I actually did this. We found a problem with the AC compressor at the service centre and also got the vehicle thoroughly inspected. See if this is possible.

3. Skodas are known for their turbo related issues, especially the earlier cars.

4. Check for condition of brake pads, timing belt replacements, fuel injectors, clutch assembly replacement etc.

5. Look for suspension related noises while driving.

There are car dealers who give you a selling price including their margin and there are others who charge 1-2% or a fixed price for a deal. There is nothing wrong in and if fact you should ask the dealer what his charges are.

And remember this, there are a few people who would buy a used Skoda Laura over a new C/D1 segment car. Use this to your advantage while bargaining. Don't rush things from your end. Take some time to find some good deals around.

Good luck with your purchase and keep us posted.

Thanks
over.drive is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2013, 12:24   #32
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian
 
ACM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,066
Thanked: 2,228 Times
Default Re: Buying a used Skoda Laura

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
If you must, go in with your eyes wide open.

The a/c compressor is a failure point. Check if it has been replaced, if not budget for a replacement, ensure a Sanden version is used, you might be able to get this done outside the Skoda network.

DSG enough has been said about it. Budget for the mechatronics, clutch and dual mass flywheel replacements at a later stage

Fuel injectors might need replacement at 100000 km it all depends on the quality of fuel.

heck turbocharger, faulty seals will see blue smoke puffing out.

Otherwise, the 1.9 tdi is a workhorse but a lot depends on the cars maintenance.
Actually as a Laura 1.9PD DSF AT Owner can say that that actually covers it all. Have infact Had AC compressor changed to Sanden, Had turbo and intercooler changed twice and had some issues with the DSG Mechatronic sorted out as well as got the flywheel and timing bets changed when due.

Besides this the suspension can show aging between 75,000 kms to 100,000kms. Basically one needs to budget for this work over time, for any PD would recommend one budgets Rs. 2L over the next 3 years if the car is between 70,000 kms to 100,000 kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleEye View Post
I have found one 2008 Laura L&K TDI AT with 62000 kms on the odo. Car looks extremely well maintained, and the dealer says service records are available (of course I'll be inspecting them before taking it further). There are bruises and dents on the body, but nothing major.

My questions to you are below:

1. Where can I take the car to get it checked by some knowledgeable person about wear and tear of components, find out what replacements are necessary, whether all fluids are topped up, etc?

2. Which Skoda dealership can I call to get the service history? Or can I call any outlet; does Skoda have a centralized records system?

3. The dealer is quoting 8 lakhs (he mentioned it is negotiable). How much do you think I can bring the price down on bargaining?

4. Normally when buying from a broker is the brokerage charge over and above the quoted price or is it included?

Thanks in advance.
You need to call the Dealership where the car is normally serviced for the service records.

JMD is I feel the better service centre of the lot in Mumbai. They have 3 or 4 centrer in Mumbai,

You could manage the following pricing 2006- 6L, 2007-6.5L, 2008-7-7.5L (It also depends on the model, as the years progress Skoda introduced lower spec varient - they started off earlier with only the L&K) So as one goes to newer cars one also tends to get lower spec ones (though lesser kms generally means more reliable).

The other thing is that if to check what all has been already replaced, if nothing is replaced but the car is at about say 50-60k kms then a lot may be due for replacement while at 70k the car may have already gone though some of the replacements and be good for another 50,000 kms or so?

Brokerage is normally included in the price quoted by the Dealer. The Dealer makes more if he has already paid for and bought the vehicle and is holding it. He makes lesser money if he is just showing you a customers vehicle and arranging for the deal.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2013, 14:46   #33
BHPian
 
EagleEye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 378
Thanked: 266 Times
Default Re: Buying a used Skoda Laura

Quote:
Originally Posted by over.drive View Post
Hello EagleEye,

Came across your post and thought I would chime in with my views. I own a 2006 Skoda Laura MT L&K which was bought 2 years ago. When I bought it, it had clocked over 90,000kms was very well maintained with all service records in place.

It is hard to find less used Skodas in the market and even if you do the asking price will be on the higher side. Buying a 2006 Skoda is alright if the vehicle is well maintained with service done at proper intervals. Having used Skodas for the last 6 years myself I can say that Skoda engines and parts are built to last. I have seen Laura and Octavia which have done over 3L kilometers and still running like new. It all boils down to how well the car is maintained. All the electronics on my car are working fine till date (touch wood).

Things you may do are:

1. Call/Visit Skoda service centre, give them the vehicle number and they will get the service history for you. Look for any major repairs or part changes.

2. The best things would be to see if you can talk the seller into accompanying you with the vehicle to the nearest Skoda service centre. Some sellers won't be willing. I actually did this. We found a problem with the AC compressor at the service centre and also got the vehicle thoroughly inspected. See if this is possible.

3. Skodas are known for their turbo related issues, especially the earlier cars.

4. Check for condition of brake pads, timing belt replacements, fuel injectors, clutch assembly replacement etc.

5. Look for suspension related noises while driving.

There are car dealers who give you a selling price including their margin and there are others who charge 1-2% or a fixed price for a deal. There is nothing wrong in and if fact you should ask the dealer what his charges are.

And remember this, there are a few people who would buy a used Skoda Laura over a new C/D1 segment car. Use this to your advantage while bargaining. Don't rush things from your end. Take some time to find some good deals around.

Good luck with your purchase and keep us posted.

Thanks
Thanks for your help, I shall definitely get checked all the things you have mentioned. With the help of member ACM I have got in touch with SkodaJMD Bhandup, where I will be going for inspection of the vehicle.

Also thanks for the tip, I'll bargain hard for this car. Actually there are dents and scratches all around the car, and also one scratch on the bonnet which I believe can't be polished away due to the fact that it is slightly beveled up. I'll try to use these things to bring down the price even further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Brokerage is normally included in the price quoted by the Dealer. The Dealer makes more if he has already paid for and bought the vehicle and is holding it. He makes lesser money if he is just showing you a customers vehicle and arranging for the deal.
He is just showing me a customer's vehicle. He said brokerage is 2% but I don't know whether he meant it as over and above the sale price. I'll have to find out.
EagleEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2013, 15:00   #34
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian
 
ACM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,066
Thanked: 2,228 Times
Default Re: Buying a used Skoda Laura

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleEye View Post
He is just showing me a customer's vehicle. He said brokerage is 2% but I don't know whether he meant it as over and above the sale price. I'll have to find out.
That is the typical % if it is a customer vehicle. It was included in the price when I made a purchase.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2013, 20:38   #35
BHPian
 
EagleEye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 378
Thanked: 266 Times
Default Re: Buying a used Skoda Laura

Dear ACM and other knowledgeable members,

I've 2 quick questions:


1) If the interior parts like plastics, steering etc of a Skoda Laura are scratched/scuffed due to normal wear and tear (not as a result of poor maintenance), can the blemishes be polished away?
The owner says that some chemicals/polishes can be applied and it will look as new.

2) If the gear lever is pretty badly scratched (example pic below), can anything be done about it?

Buying a used Skoda Laura-20130313_175902.jpg


Thanks, I'll be finalizing one soon. I'll tell you the details later!
EagleEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2013, 21:00   #36
Senior - BHPian
 
n.devdath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,550
Thanked: 1,125 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Buying a used Skoda Laura

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleEye View Post
2) If the gear lever is pretty badly scratched (example pic below), can anything be done about it?
Such a gear lever cannot be brought to its original form because it has lost the "top coat"that was applied to it during its manufacture.

Also, it is nice to avoid cars which show such signs of wear and tear. With a little patience, it is possible to get an immaculately maintained Laura DSG at a decent price.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2013, 16:15   #37
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian
 
ACM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,066
Thanked: 2,228 Times
Default Re: Buying a used Skoda Laura

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleEye View Post
Dear ACM and other knowledgeable members,

I've 2 quick questions:


1) If the interior parts like plastics, steering etc of a Skoda Laura are scratched/scuffed due to normal wear and tear (not as a result of poor maintenance), can the blemishes be polished away?
The owner says that some chemicals/polishes can be applied and it will look as new.

2) If the gear lever is pretty badly scratched (example pic below), can anything be done about it?


ACM -- Actually the AT Gear lever bit that you say is scratched is leather being exposed to moisture from the hands. My gear lever is similar but a bit better. After leather cleaning service it looks much better but returns to this look after a few months. Actually with leather if it is not pealing off then a bit of this look is fine, The Drivers seat too could have a bit of this on the seating area joints.

Getting an original replacement part is expensive whatever be the part. But there are excellent leather workers available who can replace any door pad part to close to original in a reasonable cost (3K for the black part per door near the top of each door pad) The Roof cloth too can be changed for about 5-7K outside the service centre. --

Hi - note the response above itself typed within the quote by mistake.

The best way out is to give the guy who says it can be restored to orignal say Rs. 3000 and tell him to get the work done (interior cleaning) and if it comes our well you will consider bying the car else if you don't like it he can keep the 3K and you too have no regrets about the car you pick up. I had actually paid 10K for service of the Laura I picked up 5 years back on the same terms.

In the case of my gear lever the dark brown marks become very close to the light leather in colour - infact are a bit lighter but one can notice that they have lost the top film.

Last edited by ACM : 14th March 2013 at 16:17.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2013, 21:45   #38
BHPian
 
EagleEye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 378
Thanked: 266 Times
Default Re: Buying a used Skoda Laura

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Hi - note the response above itself typed within the quote by mistake.

The best way out is to give the guy who says it can be restored to orignal say Rs. 3000 and tell him to get the work done (interior cleaning) and if it comes our well you will consider bying the car else if you don't like it he can keep the 3K and you too have no regrets about the car you pick up. I had actually paid 10K for service of the Laura I picked up 5 years back on the same terms.

In the case of my gear lever the dark brown marks become very close to the light leather in colour - infact are a bit lighter but one can notice that they have lost the top film.
Hi, the deal has already been fixed and the person has told me that he will do the interior polishing before giving.
The gear lever I have attached was from another car I was checking; the final car I chose has a worse looking gear lever, unfortunately :(
The rest of the car is immaculate, which is why I went for it. Once the deal is finalized and the car is in my hands I'll try and figure out if anything can be done.
EagleEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2013, 11:30   #39
BHPian
 
EagleEye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 378
Thanked: 266 Times
Default

One of the dealers I had spoken to had recommended keeping a box of fuses inside the car in case of a blown fuse sometime during a drive. Is this necessary / advisable?
And where do I get a box of fuses for the Laura?
EagleEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2013, 11:53   #40
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian
 
ACM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,066
Thanked: 2,228 Times
Default Re: Buying a used Skoda Laura

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleEye View Post
One of the dealers I had spoken to had recommended keeping a box of fuses inside the car in case of a blown fuse sometime during a drive. Is this necessary / advisable?
And where do I get a box of fuses for the Laura?
Touching a lot of wood - Have never blown a fuse in my Laura - it is at 87,000 kms. Others could comment if they blew anything. But also never made any after market electrical mods.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2013, 14:31   #41
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,356
Thanked: 821 Times
Default Re: Buying a used Skoda Laura

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleEye View Post
One of the dealers I had spoken to had recommended keeping a box of fuses inside the car in case of a blown fuse sometime during a drive. Is this necessary / advisable?
And where do I get a box of fuses for the Laura?

All fuse ratings are mentioned in the owner manual - buy the spare ones as per that list. There are 2 fuse boxes - one in the cabin (below the the driver side dashboard, and the other in the engine bay). The car also comes with a set of spare fuses and bulbs - check if the previous owner has preserved it. It's placed inside the spare wheel in the boot.

Don't forget to buy a fuse puller. it's difficult to take out a fuse with bare fingers as they are quite tightly spaced.

Last edited by anandpadhye : 16th March 2013 at 14:32.
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2013, 22:13   #42
Senior - BHPian
 
sagarpadaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,545
Thanked: 1,150 Times
Default Re: Buying a used Skoda Laura

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
All fuse ratings are mentioned in the owner manual - buy the spare ones as per that list. There are 2 fuse boxes - one in the cabin (below the the driver side dashboard, and the other in the engine bay). The car also comes with a set of spare fuses and bulbs - check if the previous owner has preserved it. It's placed inside the spare wheel in the boot.

Don't forget to buy a fuse puller. it's difficult to take out a fuse with bare fingers as they are quite tightly spaced.
Where can i buy a fuse puller from?
sagarpadaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2013, 22:35   #43
BHPian
 
EagleEye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 378
Thanked: 266 Times
Default Re: Buying a used Skoda Laura

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Where can i buy a fuse puller from?
I searched online, found these... http://geb.ebay.in/g/ImportHubViewIt...CAR-AUTO-TRUCK

It's expensive because it's coming from US. Better to check at a spare parts store, that's what I'll be doing.
EagleEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2013, 14:11   #44
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 273
Thanked: 60 Times
Default Re: Buying a used Skoda Laura

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Where can i buy a fuse puller from?
You can buy a long nosed plier (the one which has a pointed tip) costing Rs. 30-40 to pull the fuses. It worked on my Octavia.
Bomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2013, 15:34   #45
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,356
Thanked: 821 Times
Default Re: Buying a used Skoda Laura

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleEye View Post
I searched online, found these... http://geb.ebay.in/g/ImportHubViewIt...CAR-AUTO-TRUCK

It's expensive because it's coming from US. Better to check at a spare parts store, that's what I'll be doing.
Good question. I have been using one that came as part of a PC screw driver set (so it may not officially be a fuse puller). But local auto electrical shops should have those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomi View Post
You can buy a long nosed plier (the one which has a pointed tip) costing Rs. 30-40 to pull the fuses. It worked on my Octavia.
Yes, something like this should be good.
anandpadhye is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Skoda Rapid or Used Skoda Laura coolboy007 Sedans 19 15th July 2012 11:31
Skoda Laura Ambiente-cheaper Laura deuce-deuce The Indian Car Scene 94 11th July 2008 06:53


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:51.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks