Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 2nd July 2014, 19:22   #121
DWC
BHPian

Default Re: Buying a used Skoda Laura

Thanks everyone for the valuable inputs. After weighing all the pros and cons, I've decided to follow the head (much to my hearts dismay) and wait for the new diesel polo.
DWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2014, 09:41   #122
Senior - BHPian

Checking on behalf of a colleague.

Would like some advice on a 2008, 50000km, single owner, Skoda Laura L&K diesel automatic. Quoting 9.25lac.

The owner claims a clean service record and is open to us taking the car for a spin.

Now this colleague comes from a Ford Fusion duratec and does find maintaining this car expensive. My advice to him was to stay away from old Skoda's even if the price is good. This example isn't when it comes to price.

Please advice on what to look for on the car or if my colleague must avoid the car completely.
sandeepmohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2014, 23:31   #123
BHPian

Hello,

Along similar lines as the post above me please advice me on the following:

I want to replace my 2001 Honda Accord Automatic which I purchased for Rs. 3.5 lacs four years back. It has 44,000 km on it.

There is a 2008 Laura L&K Automatic which has 1,41,000 km and asking price is Rs. 6 lacs. It is single owner and suspension was replaced 6 months back.

My only reason to change my Accord is the low mileage (I think it gives around 6 kmpl). But is the 2008 Laura too risky to purchase considering the high odometer reading ?

Thanks.
golfdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2014, 18:38   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfdude View Post
Hello,

Along similar lines as the post above me please advice me on the following:

I want to replace my 2001 Honda Accord Automatic which I purchased for Rs. 3.5 lacs four years back. It has 44,000 km on it.

There is a 2008 Laura L&K Automatic which has 1,41,000 km and asking price is Rs. 6 lacs. It is single owner and suspension was replaced 6 months back.

My only reason to change my Accord is the low mileage (I think it gives around 6 kmpl). But is the 2008 Laura too risky to purchase considering the high odometer reading ?

Thanks.
You have plenty of safer options in 6 lakhs budget. There is Swift Vxi, Hyundai Grand i10, Honda Brio, Polo Petrol, Nissan Micra and what not. However given that you are coming from an old second hand Accord with low mileage issues, I think the perfect upgrade would be Maruti Celerio. It fits your budget to the T and you would get the snob value of a new car and amazing fuel economy. Why by used, when you get bring home a winner, BRAND NEW!
aseem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2015, 01:26   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Checking on behalf of a colleague.

Would like some advice on a 2008, 50000km, single owner, Skoda Laura L&K diesel automatic. Quoting 9.25lac.

The owner claims a clean service record and is open to us taking the car for a spin.

Now this colleague comes from a Ford Fusion duratec and does find maintaining this car expensive. My advice to him was to stay away from old Skoda's even if the price is good. This example isn't when it comes to price.

Please advice on what to look for on the car or if my colleague must avoid the car completely.
Hi Sandeep,

Did you happen to buy the Laura? Or did you give it a pass?

Regards
Jerry
sc0rpi0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2015, 07:21   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc0rpi0n View Post
Did you happen to buy the Laura? Or did you give it a pass?
It was a for a colleague. We gave it a pass. I will say the car was in top shape with no major repair history in the service records. Due to the age of the car, I took advice from a couple of other bhpians more familiar with old Skoda's. Was told to stay away regardless of the clean service record.

This colleague ended up buying a new Hyundai Elantra crdi manual.
sandeepmohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2015, 11:57   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
You have plenty of safer options in 6 lakhs budget.
=========Why by used, when you get bring home a winner, BRAND NEW!

I think you are saying this because you have not driven a Skoda Laura. We cannot compare the cars mentioned by you with a Laura.
jazzyrajat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2015, 19:25   #128

Thanks rocketraccoon and azeemhafiz for your replies.

I did some snooping around on the internet and found a 2010 white Laura TSI with a dealer in Delhi. I checked the car out today and it drives fairly well. Listing the details here:
2010 Dec registered white Laura 1.8TSI
Registered with HUL - so its been chauffer driven but also regularly maintained at the Skoda A.S.S
61k driven. Service records available for the 45k service but no record for the 60k service though the dealer claims that it has been done. Will have to dig into that.
No accident history claimed.
The dealer told me the bonnet has been repainted - it has a few paint bubbles and will definitely have to be repainted. Moreover, a bonnet repaint job hints at an accident, not sure what to look out for in this case. The bumper seems to have the stock paint job and the engine bay didn't show any signs of accident history.
I did take a test drive, on uneven roads, a little bit of Sunday traffic and on an open stretch, the car drives well with no issues or noises. Suspension seemed to be okay too.

Attaching a few pictures for reference. Please share your thoughts. The dealer was quoting 5.5L, came down to 5.25L which I think is still too high for a 2010 TSI. What do you all think?
Attached Thumbnails
Buying a used Skoda Laura-1437918835284.jpg  

Buying a used Skoda Laura-1437918851495.jpg  

Buying a used Skoda Laura-1437918875515.jpg  

Buying a used Skoda Laura-1437918894256.jpg  

Buying a used Skoda Laura-1437918908335.jpg  

sarvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2015, 09:15   #129
BHPian

Default Re: 2014 Lineup: The Best Enthusiast Cars in India

Hi Sarvatron,

Welcome to Gurgaon! I am also making a move to Gurgaon for work in the next 2 days.

After a lot of consideration and going through various thread, I zeroed in on a Polo 1.2 TSI. A few thoughts on the consideration set:

1. A new car has it's own charm and feel along with reliability of warranty
2. Do you really need the boot?
3. A.S.S. of Skoda is infamous, not that VW is far behind
4. Are looking for manual or automatic transmission to complement your TSI?
prateekswarup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2015, 14:00   #130
BHPian

I have a Laura 1.8 TSI (2010 May) that's available in my society. I don't know the seller - so I might as well call him a dealer out to mooch me off my money. Works for a management consultancy

Here are the specs:

- 51000 kms
- Second set of tyres
- A few dings - 7/10
- Complete service record is claimed
- Interiors are 10/10 - not one ding, not one thing misplaced or worn - which speaks volumes. ANd this isn't artificially decked up. Its fresh, lightly used.
- Manual tranny - +1.. I want manual, no DSG/AT

Questions for BHPIans:
- Now I don't trust Skoda Service Centers. How do I get this checked by a mechanic; I don't know a FnG that well and smart to check well.
- I am okay wit setting money aside, taking it to the doctor on occasion, are there good garages in South Delhi that can maintain the car? Periodic as well as any parts and major repairs? Recommend me one that I can get car checked with?
- How do I know if the 0.5l/1000kms oil top up was maintained by current owner?
- should I buy my own VAG tool and pop it into the OBD?
- what can I check during the test drive specific to Laura?
- I know there is a list of things in a used car, but what specific in a used 1.8 Laura TSI - during visual inspection?
- Price asked for is 5.5L and comes with insurance till 2015. Fair ask?
- No warranties I assume. Is there someway Skoda gives away warranties beyond 5 years?
- how can I check insurance claims for 5 years? if insurance company has been changed (general question)

List of things I plan to ask/check:
- AC compressor changed or not
- Timing belt issues or not
- engine oil topped up how often
- where is your office
- parts replaced under warranty
- which fuel used
- engine bottom protection plate check
- under body thorough check
- insurance claim check
- clutch operation
- suspension noises
- smooth acceleration and braking
- windscreen original
- panels original
- VIN number
barcode is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2015, 17:04   #131

I am planning to buy a 2012 LTZ Cruze MT diesel variant (BS V)
I need help whether I should go for it or not. I will be buying a Cruze which is 25,000-50,000 kms driven!
And my budget is around 7-7.5 max
What other options do I have? And will Cruze last another 5 years?
acejash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2016, 14:12   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejash View Post
I am planning to buy a 2012 LTZ Cruze MT diesel variant (BS V)
I need help whether I should go for it or not. I will be buying a Cruze which is 25,000-50,000 kms driven!
And my budget is around 7-7.5 max
What other options do I have? And will Cruze last another 5 years?
Cruze is a very robust car. I think, it will last another 5 years if it has not been abused so far. Maintenance is also less. In 5 years of my ownership, there was not even a single rattle.
Sanjay1707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2016, 15:10   #133
BHPian

hi all,

urgent help / advice.

am looking at a 2011 laura tsi.
found a car in white. single owner, skoda A.S.S centre serviced. no accidents, around 65000 km.

car looks clean with decent paperwork.

am replacing my 5 yr old city petrol MT.

what am i supposed to be looking for?
any known problems or expected problems at this age and mileage?
is it a wise buy?

am prepared for the higher upkeep than my city and problems with skoda service.Plan to get it remapped with a new suspension.

opinions greatly appreciated.
thanks in advance.

cheers!
differential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2016, 11:50   #134
BHPian

Looking for a petrol Sedan for occasional highway trips. The only thought came across my mind was Skoda.

And I went to the market only to be informed to stay away from Skoda especially used one. I saw couple of Lauras at few dealers. The car is beautiful and I liked it. Still I have this car in my mind. Getting used Lauras 2010 around 5 Lakhs. What will be the good price to pay for a car in good condition?

Also which is better a petrol or diesel for occasional use that is not more than 500 Kms per month. Infact I am looking for used Vento if I have to give up this Skoda thought at all because ninety per cent of the people or experts I met in the marked advised me to stay away from it.

Infact I would like to go for Rapid if not Laura. So finally its tie between Laura Rapid and Vento.
zaheer5776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2016, 09:33   #135
BHPian

Hello Everyone,

I was contemplating buying a used Laura TSI in Bangalore. Came across this thread for some much needed help.

Its a June 2012 Model. Run 50K. Used by one person only. Company maintained.

The dealer is quoting around 7 Lakhs for it. He says that I can take the car and get it checked at any service center and only post that, go ahead with the purchase.

A few queries from my side.

1. Is it a good buy? Both the price that I am buying it at and the age of the car as well. I plan to use it for another 3 years. (The car would be 7 years old by then)

2. What are the key things that I would have to check? Any suggestions on where and with whom I can get the car thoroughly checked? (Would Shibin from Head over Wheels in Bangalore do it?)

3. I would also want to get the service history and check for any warranty or insurance claims. Which Skoda dealer would be a good bet to get this done in Bangalore?

4. Anything else in particular that I may have to get checked for?

Considering the amount of Laura Tsi threads on the forum origination from Bangalore, would be really thankful with some help on this.
Kimified is offline   Reply With Quote