Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Closed Thread

Old 24th January 2012, 16:18   #76
Team-BHP Support

Default re: Nissan Sunny vs VW Vento TDI EDIT: Its a Sunny Diesel XLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Now this is just complicating things here mate. How much different will it be from lets say the Altis or the Sunny? We are talking about small scratches here and there, nothing serious. The kind of stuff that makes your car look ugly. Its more of a psyche thing with him being comfortable in a car of Honda City's size and proportions.
The other thing as you mentioned is more about having something different in the garage. I am not buying a BMW anytime soon so might as well enjoy a little with the VW Vento.
Small scratches will be alright in both. Any major body damage will be cheaper in the Toyota to replace. The VW labour and body repair I have heard is exorbitant. Not saying Toyota is cheap but will probably be lesser.

Tell you what. Here's the plan. Get the Vento TDi. Let your dad use it for a while. Once he realises how comfortable the rear seats of the Altis were compared to the Vento, he will then have 2 options.

1. Give you the Vento and take the Altis back. A few scratches is better than an uncomfortable rear seat.
2. Throw you out of the house for buying 2 cars which did not serve his purpose at all. One too big and the other with a cramped rear seat.

Now you just need to pray that your dad chooses option no. 1. Simple no?
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2012, 16:36   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Took a TD of the Sunny and the Vento today again. Didn't TD the Honda since I kind of know how it drives ( there are so many Honda's and Maruti's in everybody's family ).

The TD have left me more confused than ever.

So guys those are my impressions of the TD. Its just left me as confused as ever. A part of me wants to get something different and go for the Vento.
Another part of me says that it will be a waste to let the Driver drive it the whole time which kind of negates the benefits of that awesome engine. Also the Vento might prove to be a little more expensive to maintain since my driver is prone to getting scratches and dents on the car. So that way Sunny fits the bill better since it offers more space inside and the smaller engine will mean better FE.
Another small but significant third part wants to go the tried and tested Honda city way with the corp edition. Only thing there is that one cannot predict how the petrol prices will behave in the future. If the difference between the 2 fuels keeps increasing then the running costs will soon start hurting. The 1000 km run is right at the borderline with the current pricing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
This thread is getting more entertaining all the time . Sorry man, don't mean to laugh at your predicament but at some point you just need to go with your heart!

My advice stays the same: if you don't mind paying the premium, go for the Vento. It is a great car, truly VFM (since you get several features that typically only come from a segment above) and will complement your garage nicely.

If you are constrained on budget for heaven's sake get the Sunny over the Honda City. Petrol has already touched 75 (at Shell) in Pune. There is every possibility that it will hit 100 by the end of the year. It seems pretty obvious the government will not go beyond lip service while talking about rationalising diesel prices etc. So make the most of it and get a diesel!
My suggestion also remains the same. Go for the Vento. If you are not convinced about the quality of the car don't ignore the following two things:

1. Why would you fill up your garage with all 'similar' type of cars. All Japs, all reliable, slightly better than average quality, but also very boring cars. Buying the German gives you a start contrasting variety car to your Corolla.

2. You said that you will keep the car for sometime. In such cases, it is always advisable to go for something slightly better, even if at a cost. This way, there are less chances of craving for a new car, one year into your purchase.

And this is not mere preaching, I am doing the same. Instead of going for a Vento/Rapid, I am collecting some moolah for the Jetta.

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 24th January 2012 at 16:37. Reason: removing the huge quote. There's no need to quote the entire post. Thanks!
Abhi_Automobile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2012, 16:42   #78
Senior - BHPian

Just noticed this thread . I have not driven the Sunny, somehow don't even fancy its bulblous sides, etc - I doubt there are many cars as exciting to drive as a Vento tdi in the 10+ lakhs zone .
When you need space you have the Altis , when you need zip you use the Vento . Given that my wife (and kid) travels 90% of the time using the rear seat , I doubt people would have reasons to complain about the rear seat comfort unless he/she is at least a couple of inches taller than 6 feet . One more cringe maybe the rear seat hump but thats about it.
On the maint cost , I think the labour would be costlier the parts are not , this has been the experience of most of the Vento owners on the forum .

As far as the debate on Rapid Vs Vento , it spretty useless unless of course one starts debating about 1 db of NVH better and such minute points . I prefer the Ventos looks and rear lights ( with the nook) , thats a personal choice.

Best of Luck with choosing your new car
Old 24th January 2012, 17:24   #79
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Given that my wife (and kid) travels 90% of the time using the rear seat , I doubt people would have reasons to complain about the rear seat comfort unless he/she is at least a couple of inches taller than 6 feet . One more cringe maybe the rear seat hump but thats about it.
On the maint cost , I think the labour would be costlier the parts are not , this has been the experience of most of the Vento owners on the forum.
Actually rear space is not bad in Vento but I was comparing it to the Altis and the old Honda City. The Vento has a lower seating (poor ingress/egress). The Altis and City are far better in ingress/egress and have the best legroom in the back.

Going by the parts prices for accident damage like rear bumper, lights in other thread for Polo and Vento. I'm pretty sure accident parts will be cheaper in the Toyota.

Regular spares wise both maybe similar. I am not sure about either as I don't own a Vento and in my 3 year old Altis done 21K kms I have spent less than 5K rupees (combined for all 3 services) as Toyota doesn't use synthetic oil.

Quote:
As far as the debate on Rapid Vs Vento , it spretty useless unless of course one starts debating about 1 db of NVH better and such minute points . I prefer the Ventos looks and rear lights ( with the nook) , thats a personal choice.
Well it isn't about just 1dB. If the NVH was measured using a meter and was 1dB it would be pointless. But after driving both Vento and Rapid back to back the difference in NVH was noticeable by not just me and Samurai but by a whole group of media folks. We went back to Skoda asking for NVH changes. To top it off, suspension setup was also completely different and so was the gearing. 3 changes were so apparent that all doubts of it being similar to Vento were thrown out the window within minutes of the drive.

Also if you read ownership report from Kryptonite he has mentioned that dyno figures of the Rapid were similar to Vento but the Rapid was delivering max BHP at a much lower rpm than the Vento.

The reason I did not suggest the Rapid to drmohitg is because he was pretty convinced against any Skoda product due to scary after sales stories.
Old 24th January 2012, 18:00   #80
BHPian

with your running around 1000 kms per month you can consider the nissan sunny base petrol variant which sheer value for money. all your requirements will be fullfilled such as a very good back seat, quality and trouble free running etc.
Old 24th January 2012, 18:08   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
2. Throw you out of the house for buying 2 cars which did not serve his purpose at all. One too big and the other with a cramped rear seat.

Now you just need to pray that your dad chooses option no. 1. Simple no?
The thing was that this is basically a repeat of 2004-2005. The same story unfolded that time. My dad used to go around in a Hyundai Santro Xing. It took me a good 6-7 months to convince him to change over his car to the Honda City. He had the same fears that time regarding the ease of driving and parking. But once he drove in the city he just loved it.
I was hoping for the same thing to happen here with the Altis. Afterall there is not much different in the size of the City and the Altis.

Quote:
Given that my wife (and kid) travels 90% of the time using the rear seat , I doubt people would have reasons to complain about the rear seat comfort unless he/she is at least a couple of inches taller than 6 feet . One more cringe maybe the rear seat hump but thats about it.

I prefer the Ventos looks and rear lights ( with the nook) , thats a personal choice.
I feel the back seat is good enough in the Vento too. The hump is not an issue with me since I cannot recall when did I travel with 5 people in the car last time. In most such cases we use the Innova. The thing is that in the Sunny there is a whole presidential palace in there. And it comes at a whopping 1.3L lesser then the Vento.

Even I prefer Vento's looks to the rapid. And anyways I don't trust Skoda anymore ( just my personal opinion).

Quote:
Originally Posted by patil View Post
with your running around 1000 kms per month you can consider the nissan sunny base petrol variant which sheer value for money. all your requirements will be fullfilled such as a very good back seat, quality and trouble free running etc.
Oh no I don't think so. I am considering only diesel cars. 1000 kms a month means I save 36-40k per year given the current fuel price difference ( which will only increase). The only petrol I was considering was the Honda city CE and that too because its a Honda at a very competitive price point.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 24th January 2012 at 18:29. Reason: merging posts
Old 24th January 2012, 18:43   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Regular spares wise both maybe similar. I am not sure about either as I don't own a Vento and in my 3 year old Altis done 21K kms I have spent less than 5K rupees (combined for all 3 services) as Toyota doesn't use synthetic oil.
I'll surely be spending around Rs. 30,000/- for the 3 years servicing of my tinny Polo. What's the secret behind cheap service costing of Japs? Why not Europeans and Americans can bring down the servicing cost down to affordable level. I lost front logo which was stolen by a thief, this plastic piece costs 1800/-.

...But I love driving the Polo and all these things don't matter that much to me now becasue I studied all these things on TeamBHP before buying and already got prepared for the expensive maintenance. Driving pleasure is more important for me than anything else, atleast for next few years.
Old 25th January 2012, 18:39   #83
BHPian

Hey drmohitg,

Your garage reads like this

Toyota, Mitsubishi, Honda, ________

Isn't a Nissan perfect choice for the blank to be filled in?! Just kidding...

Your requirements appear like this
- C-segment sedan with strong preference for diesel
- Mostly chauffer driven
- Most of the usage in city conditions
- For father who is now used to the rear-seat comfort of an Altis

This may be off-track, but have you given any thought to Manza which fits the bill perfectly, what with that sofa on the rear and soft suspension setup? Of course, there are attendant negatives that can be turn-offs like the looks, lack of snob value and concern on Tata's quality niggles / A.S.S.

Thought of sharing this brainwave, just in case you've missed this out in the maze of the love triangle of the lookers like City, Vento and Sunny!

From the triad, Sunny seems to make most sense to me for your requirements.
Old 25th January 2012, 19:18   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantKarma View Post
Your requirements appear like this
- C-segment sedan with strong preference for diesel
- Mostly chauffer driven
- Most of the usage in city conditions
- For father who is now used to the rear-seat comfort of an Altis
You got them absolutely right. Except for the fact that my Dad has still not used the Altis much and continues to use his City.

Quote:
This may be off-track, but have you given any thought to Manza which fits the bill perfectly, what with that sofa on the rear and soft suspension setup? Of course, there are attendant negatives that can be turn-offs like the looks, lack of snob value and concern on Tata's quality niggles / A.S.S.
Well aren't they a lot of Negatives for a new car costing me 8L Rupees and I intend to keep it for 6-7 years. No Sir except for that back seat nothing excites me about the Manza much. I guess once you are used to Honda and Toyota it gets difficult to live with those so called small niggles.

Quote:
From the triad, Sunny seems to make most sense to me for your requirements.
Well the latest is that the City is ruled out.
The Sunny is ruled out.
Its going to be the Vento TDI HL. Somehow I just want to give in to my heart this time.
1. Both me and my dad love the looks of that car since its launch.
2. It would be a hoot to drive on weekends when we take it out on our own and I can ofcourse borrow it anytime I feel like.
3. The VW badge, European built will be a nice change from the other cars we have.

So it will be the Vento afterall. Will make the booking in the coming day or two. I have to go to bangalore for 2 weeks. So Dad would be doing the booking. Will take the delivery in mid-feb probably.

Thanks a lot everyone for your help.

Last edited by drmohitg : 25th January 2012 at 19:19.
Old 25th January 2012, 19:18   #85
Team-BHP Support

Sunny Diesel Official Review (Nissan Sunny Diesel : Test Drive & Review)

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2012, 19:25   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Its going to be the Vento TDI HL. Somehow I just want to give in to my heart this time.
Congratulations for the decision! When it comes to the matter of heart, Vento sure wins hands down for its statesman-like presence, stonker of an engine and German build.
Old 25th January 2012, 19:32   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey THIS ISN'T FUNNY!( just kidding)
Just when I made a decision after some tough negotiations with my Baniya genes, you come up with the review to confuse me all over again.

So I am off to reading the review and then probably pondering all over again.
drmohitg is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2012, 20:03   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg
So I am off to reading the review and then probably pondering all over again.
Doc, you have a city which probably is out of warranty and there's a driver to drive it around (read get it refueled) & there's enough in the garage for a self drive.
Why don't you save some money and get the city CNG'd? Even I am averse to the idea of a CNG but with 3 more cars and a driver, I just may consider this purely for a point A to point B use. Wot say?
Old 25th January 2012, 20:08   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin.rai View Post
Doc, you have a city which probably is out of warranty and there's a driver to drive it around (read get it refueled) & there's enough in the garage for a self drive.
Why don't you save some money and get the city CNG'd? Even I am averse to the idea of a CNG but with 3 more cars and a driver, I just may consider this purely for a point A to point B use. Wot say?
Nice idea and I have thought about the same. Some issues:
1. My dad needs the boot.
2. Getting CNG filled is a huge headache even with the driver. I can foresee times when this might become a headache. the queues are endless at every CNG station I have seen in Delhi.
3. Most importantly the City is now 6 years old. Its got old and battered ( thanks to the driver). So it really needs to go out now. I hate spending time at workshops getting parts changed. And my current city is going to start asking for some or the other part very soon.
Old 25th January 2012, 20:18   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg

Nice idea and I have thought about the same. Some issues:
1. My dad needs the boot.
2. the queues are endless at every CNG station I have seen in Delhi.
3. got old and battered ( thanks to the driver). So it really needs to go out now..
1. After a cylinder install, you still would be left with about 300 lts of boot in the ZX.
2. What i mean is, the driver drops and then goes to the station. The running cost would still be lower.
3. If this is the case then I had stay away from the Europeans, strictly.

The flip side however is - haven't driven the Sunny but looking at the pictures have a very strong feeling that the under thigh support would not be good if not bad.
Sell the city, let him use the Altis. The repair bills on the Altis would be lower than the Vento as much as I have read. And definitely lower than buying and maintaining one more car with a compromise any which ever way.

If you decide to implement the last line I had just be happy with a few pitchers at LEMP as consulting charges!
Closed Thread