Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 14th February 2012, 21:35   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Mahindra Verito or Maruti Dzire for Taxi

sriviswa,

If it was me in your shoes I would pick the Verito 1st and my 2nd option would be an Indigo.

I have traveled in many Logans here in Bangalore with 2 lac + kms and all of them never showed their age. No rattles and the engine did not sound gruff. The ride a lil firm at slow speeds was good on bad roads. And moreover the drivers/owners were extremely happy with the Car.
lloydofcochin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2012, 23:56   #32
BHPian

Etios or Verito suit your requirements best. Both have good rear legroom and can seat 3 people in the rear comfortably. But Etios wins hands down when it comes to bootspace.

MERU's fleet in Bangalore pretty much comprises of only Logan/Verito. In fact Mahindras are trying very hard to get Verito into the private buyer here, but have not exactly succeeded so far.
andromeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2012, 01:40   #33

To be honest, I personally feel the Verito would be the best in the long run if you're looking at a customers point of view, however if you're looking at something for you to enjoy on the weekends, the Dzire would be a better choice.

And also, I have seen a couple of Verito taxis plying on the roads in Chennai under Fast Track.
Sid-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2012, 01:46   #34
Senior - BHPian

I would highly recommend the Etios D if it is available in your city.
It might cost a little bit more, but will be a little more premium over the old Dzire, and Verito.
The interiors aren't plush and there might be a loose part or two after a while, but the seats are comfortable, the engine is great, very economical to run, and being a Toyota - I would expect the engine to be very reliable! The ride is quite good, and the handling was surprisingly great!
As a Liva owner, we have only had an issue with the plastics being a little loose - the speaker cover when the car was delivered, and the instrument panel after the music system was installed.

Other alternative would be the Verito/Manza. Both have good engines (the Manza QJD and Swift Dzire share the Fiat diesel engine), and are spacious and comfortable. The Verito is considered quite reliable going by the reviews.

The Dzire should be the last on your list with its poor backseat space.

Edit: Here is an interesting thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ene-today.html

Last edited by lamborghini : 15th February 2012 at 01:47.
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2012, 07:56   #35
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: Mahindra Verito or Maruti Dzire for Taxi

Apart from the various models suggested, I would like to include the Hyundai Accent for the Taxi option. Have seen many being used by the Meru/Easycab operators. Also the Hyundai A.S.S is widely networked with easy spares availaibility too.

Amongst the ones you have identified, Verito makes more sense with the history of being in the Taxi segment for quite a longer time than Dzire.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2012, 08:34   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriviswa View Post
After receiving no replies from Mahindra, I finally called them again this evening. And I was shocked to find that the verito is not yet offered as a taxi
If this is the case, would it be possible for you to purchase and register the car from, say Cuddalore or Tiruvannamalai, and bring it to Chennai and use it as a taxi? I have seen a number of vehicles (that included Logan/Verito) registered elsewhere in TamilNadu (TN-25, TN-32, TN-74 etc.) being used in Chennai by Fast Track and others.
LPT2625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2012, 10:00   #37
Senior - BHPian

I wouldn't disregard your opinion since I personally find the Accent a very good vehicle even for personal use, especially due to the price it comes at. However, with the little interaction I have had with cab drivers, both EasyCabs & the other smaller ones, I have learnt that Accent may not be good for use in the taxi segment.

The unitary opinion was that the car is rock solid, doesn't squeak & the parts are easily available, but the engine is not as durable as the other things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Apart from the various models suggested, I would like to include the Hyundai Accent for the Taxi option. Have seen many being used by the Meru/Easycab operators. Also the Hyundai A.S.S is widely networked with easy spares availaibility too.
blackfire_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2012, 10:11   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
I would highly recommend the Etios D if it is available in your city.
In my previous reply I can't believe how I missed suggesting you the Etios along with Manza. And with the helpful replies from other members, I guess you might have come to a decision now (I hope you haven't zeroed in on the Dzire).
DudeWithaFiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2012, 13:56   #39
BHPian

For a Taxi, it has to be Verito.
There is a voting thread open elsewhere on the forum and this is what i voted for.

For a typical taxi passenger, rear seat space and comfort, good AC and a good ride is what matters.
For a taxi driver/owner, trouble free engine and a no-nonsense overall exp is what matters.

So go for Verito if it's going to be available in near future in Chennai.

As far as your fears of Indica/Indigo ownership goes, yes, there are problems reported for the A.S.S, but being an owner of an Indica since 2006, I can vouch for the reliability of the car. I have been on many long drives of ~600kms one way and my car has never let me down. Its a petrol car and consistently gives 16+ on the highway with AC on 2 speed with 4 adults and boot-full of luggage. I am pretty happy and the replacement can very well be another Tata next year.

So go for Indigo eCS. Makes perfect business case. low cost overall ownership and reliability of diesel engine.

All the best for new venture.
advaitlele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2012, 16:54   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
What about the Toyota Etios? There is a new cab company in Bombay called Tab Cab - all their cabs seem to be the Etios - I like the looks of the Etios as a cab.
+1
The Etios is a good option for a cab.. high on reliability, low on maintenance. The key difference between your requirement and TabCab is the volume.... they will get a lower per unit price.

By the way, TabCab is going the CNG way I have heard.
razor4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2012, 21:43   #41
Senior - BHPian

I strongly feel that Dzire is not fit for the taxi trade. My friend purchased a Dzire as an office car for interstate trips and he is now ruing the decision.
rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2012, 21:47   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
By the way, TabCab is going the CNG way I have heard.
I saw around 25-30 Tab Cabs parked at Greenglobe Mulund's (A CNG fitter) parking area a couple of days back.
carboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2012, 22:09   #43
Team-BHP Support

having traveled in a 425000km run Logan without a rattle on bad roads, it's a no brainer!
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2012, 23:23   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

I will have 2 options - Verito & Etios. I would NOT use the Dzire simply for the lack of space & bumpy rear ride. I have heard good reviews about Verito & a friend mentioned that it's good to drive as well. Of the two I mentioned on top, you just need to pick the one with good NVH levels - I have a doubt Verito scores better here. Am sure the tourists will prefer a more silent cabin to travel in.

Among the interiors, Etios is better for me, though both are not upto the mark.

May I know who or why can some one stop a customer from converting a car into taxi? From what I know, the taxi permit is taken at the RTO & not with the dealer? Plus I have seen Etios,Verito & Vista/Manza as taxis. So I don't understand the part that "company has decided NOT to sell to taxi fleet" ! Again if it's true, then it should be across India, which is NOT the case as mentioned in many posts in this thread.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote