Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Closed Thread

Old 18th March 2012, 18:45   #16
Team-BHP Support

Default re: Common man's Wagon - The Passat

Just to let you know the Passat isn't the best in reliability. A TD vehicle I got a few weeks ago had a faulty start/stop system. The car refused to start after stopping till after a few attempts. The front doors were rattling. The AC was not cooling at all even on full blast with outside temp at 38C.

Recently Autocar had a long term Passat which had a failed alternator when they drove to Mahabaleshwar. The Alternator cost 48K and took more than a month to replace. Alternator might have failed due to start/stop system or due to brake energy recuperation.

We then took a drive in the Superb diesel and found the AC much better. Performance was not near as good as the Passat but the Superb felt smoother. The Passat has a very peaky performance which isn't easy in city traffic.

The few gizmos like electric sunshade, electronic parking brake are good to have but all the more prone to failure. The ventilated seats are only for the front seats.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2012, 18:45   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedarwalke View Post
it is not close to the passat in terms of build quality.Stay away from the superb.
You are contradicting your statements made a few posts earlier. I thought you were satisfied with the Superb and only the Service was an issue. As far as build quality goes, there is a huge underlying similarity in components used in both these cars. If you didn't like Superb's quality, I doubt whether you will like the build of Passat either in the long term because the engine and gearbox is exactly similar along with many other parts. I think even the battery is the same which died on you in the Superb. Autocar quoted as Passat's alternator failing and leaving them stranded.

Kindly elaborate on "Stay away from Superb" quote.

Last edited by dkaile : 18th March 2012 at 18:48.
Old 18th March 2012, 19:23   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Just to let you know the Passat isn't the best in reliability. A TD vehicle I got a few weeks ago had a faulty start/stop system. The car refused to start after stopping till after a few attempts. The front doors were rattling. The AC was not cooling at all even on full blast with outside temp at 38C.

Recently Autocar had a long term Passat which had a failed alternator when they drove to Mahabaleshwar. The Alternator cost 48K and took more than a month to replace. Alternator might have failed due to start/stop system or due to brake energy recuperation.

We then took a drive in the Superb diesel and found the AC much better. Performance was not near as good as the Passat but the Superb felt smoother. The Passat has a very peaky performance which isn't easy in city traffic.

The few gizmos like electric sunshade, electronic parking brake are good to have but all the more prone to failure. The ventilated seats are only for the front seats.
Just checked with the SA about the Ac and he said it is exactly the same compressor and the unit in superb.This is going to be a weekend car,so I just hope that I don't face any problems with the alternator.I will be getting 4yrs warranty+on road assistance so just hope it is satisfying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
You are contradicting your statements made a few posts earlier. I thought you were satisfied with the Superb and only the Service was an issue. As far as build quality goes, there is a huge underlying similarity in components used in both these cars. If you didn't like Superb's quality, I doubt whether you will like the build of Passat either in the long term because the engine and gearbox is exactly similar along with many other parts. I think even the battery is the same which died on you in the Superb. Autocar quoted as Passat's alternator failing and leaving them stranded.

Kindly elaborate on "Stay away from Superb" quote.

As akshay mentioned,the difference is of Rs 4lakh between the diesel superb and highline.
It gets 170 horses,keyless entry,push start/off,color MID,certainy a better HU,ventilated seats justifies 4 lakh to me.

Stay away from Superb because once when my fuel actuator failed and the lid refused to to open,when I took it to JMD skoda the SA removed it from a brand new superb and put the faulty one in it for a mere 1000rs without making a job card.The battery was replaced twice and it died more than 20 times in the parking lot.
There are many such stories which I experienced at the dealership and was so frustrated because of it.

You can go through harish's thread and see what he went through.
You are a toyota fan and am sure will regret every time your superb goes to the service center and the gear box failures.

Last edited by kedarwalke : 18th March 2012 at 19:25.
Old 18th March 2012, 19:26   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am booking the highline top model.Need advice from the seniors here,m getting a discount of rs2lac on 2011 nov highline model.
The 2012 price will be 5% more+longer waiting period.
Hey I hope I do not add to the confusion but I have to say this. I just watched the C&B show on NDTV and they were covering the new BMW 3 series today. It sure looks hot and according to them will come to India in June. If you can wait for it then do wait. Who knows you might fall for it.
drmohitg is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2012, 19:40   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Stay away from Superb because once when my fuel actuator failed and the lid refused to to open,when I took it to JMD skoda the SA removed it from a brand new superb and put the faulty one in it for a mere 1000rs without making a job card.The battery was replaced twice and it died more than 20 times in the parking lot.
There are many such stories which I experienced at the dealership and was so frustrated because of it.

You can go through harish's thread and see what he went through.
You are a toyota fan and am sure will regret every time your superb goes to the service center and the gear box failures.
Thanks for the information Kedar. It surely is sad/surprising to note the heights to which JMD has fallen to take out parts from a brand new car.

I have heard lots of Skoda horror stories but they are getting lesser by the day and I am seeing many satisfied Superb owners too. My brother in law is driving a Superb Petrol AT since last 2 years in Agra and done 25K kms on it and is absolutely satisfied with the vehicle, with a total maintenance cost of under 10K in these 2 years and an average FE of 11kmpl. Another neighbor in my lane has been driving the diesel Superb for the last one year and I see it everyday. His feedback has also been very positive for the vehicle during this period. So, I was tempted to bring this model back into reckoning after my family just loved its interior quality and space. Also its availability in a manual was the plus point for me. The local dealer is a friend.

I don't see any reason to pay a premium of 6 lacs for the diesel variant (and 10L over Passat) with the same trim level as I won't be able to recover it in it's entire life period with me (max. 8-10k km per year). It's petrol motor is a gem with great torque and pickup. And most importantly the Camry (my 1st choice) is being delayed by Toyota for no reason till another 6 months. So, I was giving the Superb a thought.
Old 18th March 2012, 19:50   #21
BHPian

what are the disadvantages of getting a 2011 Nov make model,resale is not a problem for me,considering I am getting a discount 2 lac rupee
Old 18th March 2012, 19:57   #22
Senior - BHPian

^
Except resale there seems no other disadvantage, as the 2011 and 2012 models are exactly the same. But kindly reconfirm, as I have heard that VW/Skoda start the production of their premium 2012 car models from March only i.e. after the budget. So a "true" 2012 model will only be available after 10-15 days down the line and rest all dealers are basically pushing end 2011/early 2012 made cars only.
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2012, 23:21   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
what are the disadvantages of getting a 2011 Nov make model,resale is not a problem for me,considering I am getting a discount 2 lac rupee
It is really a decent discount you are being offered considering the stingy VW dealers. What colour are you opting for?? IMO the Passat looks best in a darker shade- the Mocha and Black colour. Oh and for all those who think the park assist is not for Indian conditions please go out and try that feature in a tight spot. It is quite incredible. And I am sure most of the people including the sales consultants don't know that the feature can be used to get out of a parked spot as well.

Great decision there kedarwalke.

Last edited by S2!!! : 18th March 2012 at 23:23.
Old 18th March 2012, 23:25   #24
BHPian

Mod Note : Congrats on the car. In the meanwhile, we would highly appreciate it if you took the time out to proof-read your posts before submitting. There are way too many spelling errors, lack of punctuation and even CAPITAL alphabets aren't used where they should have been.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!!

It is really a decent discount you are being offered considering the stingy VW dealers. What colour are you opting for?? IMO the Passat looks best in a darker shade- the Mocha and Black colour. Oh and for all those who think the park assist is not for Indian conditions please go out and try that feature in a tight spot. It is quite incredible. And I am sure most of the people including the sales consultants know that the feature can be used to get out of a parked spot as well.

Great decision there kedarwalke.
Thanks doc,I have made up my mind for the 2012 make mocha passat.My wife and i loved the mocha shade,mocha appears to be black in the night & during day time mocha brown.

Last edited by GTO : 19th March 2012 at 15:32. Reason: See Mod note in your post
Closed Thread