Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Closed Thread

Old 17th March 2012, 17:03   #1
BHPian

Default Common man's Wagon - The Passat

I am currently having a xuv,i20 and innova,I was contemplating on the new fortuner,but after a lot of sleepless nights,have decided to go in for a D2 class sedan.

After experiencing pathetic after sales from JMD skoda,I sold my superb diesel new shape 3 months back for a good price of 17.20L,
Since then I thought not to go for a sedan coz of its high maintanance and running costs.

Was thinking to go for BMW520D but the budget is out of question.45lacs on road price is out of reach for me.Then I considered the 3 series 320D,but the features,rear leg room were quite restricted.

I saw the VW Passat high line 2012 model and was sold for it the very moment.
The brushed aluminium center console,start stop engine switch and the best part to me were the Climate seats.Top notch German built car with all the fancy gadget and whistles.

This will be primarily a weekend car driven 90% by me and 10% driver.I went through the detailed passat review in t-bhp and am very happy with it.

I am okay with the heftier price tag of the passat.It justifies the cost for me.

The next contender is a BMW320D, but I would want to own it just for the brand BMW.Saying that its a brilliant piece of engineering but compared to the passat which is high on features I am in two minds.

How hard will it be on maintanance compared to a BMW ?
How is the after sales and service with VW?
Old 17th March 2012, 17:43   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Common man's Wagon - The Passat

So far, VW after sales hasn't had terribly bad reports, but are consistently on the lower side. I had a good experience with VW Downtown when I wanted to TD the Passat and Jetta.
Since you drive a lot, why not the BMW? It may not have all the features, but when you drive it, it will put a smile on your face like no other. Alternately, if you don't mind an above average driving experience (but not as good as the Passat and the BMW), you could even look at the A4 2.0 TDi which is going at massive discounts as well. It has a lot of features (between passat and bmw levels), good brand value, superb looks, and is a good all rounder car if you aren't an aggressive driver.
At the moment, BMW has better reliability, better A.S.S., and with the maintenance packages - some peace of mind as far as the wallet is concerned. Wouldn't be surprised if it is more reliable than the VW and Audi. Disadvantage would be the depreciation once the model arrives, but then again, you would be getting it at a ridiculous price (25L - 26L for a Mumbai regd. 320d CE IIRC). But the Audi looks like nothing else (at least the pre-facelift A4 with the LED pearls), and makes a case for itself with all the features, snob value, stares, and overall practicality with regards to space and interiors.

Personally, for me, I'd have got the 320d, as I mainly drive, with no one in the back seat 80% of the time. I'd plonk the money I would save over the Passat Highline into a tuning box, and if anyone questioned me about the lack of a sunroof and no iDrive, i'd just floor it to shut them up
If I had more people in the backseat, then I would pick the Passat for a very good driving experience, a little more refinement than the BMW (IMHO), and a better ride quality. The features would make me smile, but my heart would be jealous every time a 320d would go past.
The Audi would be last on the list unless it was the 3.0 TDi, simply due to the fact that I like performance over back seat comfort. I just threw it in there because it is a great all rounder for a sedate and relaxed driver. However, with the new facelift and hopefully more powerful engine, it might give the Passat a run for its money if it is competitively priced.

Last edited by lamborghini : 17th March 2012 at 17:46.
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2012, 19:33   #3
Team-BHP Support

Which 320d are you looking at? The Dynamic or the Exclusive? I'm sure now you can get an exclusive for maybe 3 lacs more than the Passat and the only features it will miss is the auto hold and the ventilated seats. But the drive experience of the car will blow you away. As for maintenance BMW has BSI so you will not have to pay a single rupee for regular maintenance. I don't think VW has such plans. But comfort wise the Passat is better in terms of ride. So you basically have to choose between comfort and extra space, or sporty driving.
Akshay1234 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2012, 20:01   #4
Senior - BHPian

If you love driving car yourself then look no further than 320d exclusive, or if car will be chauffeur driven than buy passat. The rear of 3 is cramped and the ride is nothing to talk about but driving experience and handling of beemer is no match with passat, where on other hand in passat you get leg space comparable to superb, its ride is plush. A well engineered car with lot of funky features, but she stands nowhere close to 3 in terms of dynamics, handling and add to that you get a BMW batch with the 3.

IMO get the beemer with 5 years BSI package and get a space saver in boot, and enjoy her driving. She'll bring a grin everytime you drive her on your face. As you already have innova and XUV, i'll suggest you to go ahead with beemer.

All the best for your decision

Sameer
sameerg001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2012, 20:21   #5
Senior - BHPian

I too am looking for a Sedan in that segment. I have been going through a lot a research and test drives as under -

1. BMW 320D CE - It just lacks space and features but driving pleasure surely will be big. I am a bit concerned about it hitting bottom on our bad roads in West UP/Delhi/Faridabad area. Was offered 1.75L discount on CE and 2L discount on Exclusive (1.25L for X1) 1 day prior to budget. Donno exact situation today. It was 24.14L (including BMW secure insurance, temp Delhi registration and handling charges of 25K (rip off?)). Uttaranchal registration would be 2.5% extra. Total expected cost on road would be around 24.75L

2. Audi A4 2.0 TDI - Was offered 3L discount a week back (pre budget) on 29L ex showroom price. Loaded with features but my friend owning this sedan in Meerut gave me the feedback that it is a status symbol BUT high maintenance. I did not find the test drive so invigorating. There is a lag before the turbo kicks in and then it drives like a rocket. But the lag is disturbing. Me being a Manual transmission man, found the Auto disconcerting. The same auto works in almost all Audi/VW/Skoda cars in this segment, I presume.

3. Volvo S60 D3 Kinetic - Looks like a James bond car (with black interiors) on the special Pearl White colour (comes rarely and takes 100 days for delivery). The quality of interiors was the best amongst the above two. Overall quite a good car but no discounts offered on the 26.46L on road price (UP). Also ground clearance is just 136mm!!

4. Pajero Sports - Has better interiors (slightly) than Fortuner but lacks in space in comparison. Also overpriced at 25.21L on road (UA)/ 27.59 (Delhi)

5. VW Jetta - Great car turned off by lack of Auto AC. Was offered Highline AT at 20.1L which just didn't justify the car. It's pricy by at least 3L.

6. VW Passat Trendline MT - Lacked features for its 24L on road price (UP). The highline at 29.68L was just too pricy and entering Audi territory.

7. Skoda Superb 1.8 Elegance MT - At 18.91 lacs (after discount/pre budget) on road (UA) with Skoda zero depreciation Insurance and 4 year/1 lac km extended warranty, this looks a SUPERB product for its price. Its Diesel is 24.5L on road in comparison. This one's a manual (so NO DSG worries, which seems solved now anyways) and comes fully loaded (now with bluetooth et al). The (rarely seen) Mocca Brown colour (from the Audi stable) is to die for and makes the car stand out more. I was also informed by my dealer friend that a Ambiente trim is being launched 10/20 days from now which will just skip the Sunroof and Xenon headlights and will be around 2L more cheaper which may make it a killer deal in this segment. Also a minor facelifted variant to be launched in September which may add Keyless Go (with Start/Stop button. Details here - http://new.skoda-auto.com/en/models/...&Page=exterior ) and LED lights. Main point is that the Meerut Dealer (C&T Motors) is a close friend so I can be rest assured about (lack of) bad after sales service, unless he does a total U-Turn after the sale ~ lolz.

Game changers to be launched -

8. Toyota Camry - Was blown away by its looks in the flesh at the Auto Expo. Me being a Toyota fan, this was my first choice but sadly they are not launching it before September.

9. Hyundai Sonata - Seems a great product, BUT a Hyundai with a petrol engine may not put sales charts afire. Launching in a few weeks.

Conclusion - I am leaning towards the SUPERB 1.8 Petrol MT for now (and a 5 Series Beemer as the next upgrade, which I would call a proper BMW rather than the 3 series)

Last edited by dkaile : 17th March 2012 at 20:49.
dkaile is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2012, 23:36   #6
Senior - BHPian

After driving the Passat 2011 extensively let me tell you that if you do end up buying the car you will never regret it cause it genuinely is a fantastic proposition at the 30 odd lakh pricing. You do get features like the climatic seats, auto hold, park assist, etc which are not present in cars with double the price tag. The 6 speed DSG with paddle shifters is a delight coupled with the 350NM of torque and is really a fun car when showed corners (close to the 3 series but not as good ofcourse.)

Having said that it is not too different than the Superb you previously owned and there will be many times when you will just be in the cabin and wonder whether it is a different car or just a shorter Superb with black interiors. VW after sales is nothing to write home about but they do manage to do a good job most of the times.

If it is an understated car packed with features you are looking for the just go for it and you will be happy. But remember that it will not feel like an upgrade from the Superb but just a replacement. All the best in making your buying decision.
S2!!! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2012, 09:45   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

I think you should go with the Passat. Its a much more better overall package. No doubt the BMW badge has a lot of desirability quotient to it. So if that matters to you a lot then go for it. But otherwise speaking I feel the space inside the 3 series is really tight. Afterall you are buying the cheapest BMW available whereas the Passat is more of a luxury offering from VW. Only downside with the Passat for me is that you have to deal with after sales staff who is more used to dealing with sub 10L rupee cars. They might not be as sophisticated as the german trio. I agree with dkaile above that an idea BMW is the 5 series which is a more complete car.
drmohitg is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2012, 15:25   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
So far, VW after sales hasn't had terribly bad reports, but are consistently on the lower side. I had a good experience with VW Downtown when I wanted to TD the Passat and Jetta.
Since you drive a lot, why not the BMW?.
I have seen the 320D,but I am not too obsessed with the bmw batch.I think passat offers more features than the 520D for a price tag of 30L compared to 45L of the 520d.So I guess it has to be a passat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Which 320d are you looking at? The Dynamic or the Exclusive? I'm sure now you can get an exclusive for maybe 3 lacs more than the Passat and the only features it will miss is the auto hold and the ventilated seats. But the drive experience of the car will blow you away. As for maintenance BMW has BSI so you will not have to pay a single rupee for regular maintenance. I don't think VW has such plans. But comfort wise the Passat is better in terms of ride. So you basically have to choose between comfort and extra space, or sporty driving.
Thanks Akshay your beemer is an absolute delight and the VRS thread is equally exciting.The 520D is my dream vehicle,but the budget is tight.
I am looking at a more luxurious and feature packed ride,320 does not fit in.The passat is well built and feels solid and spacious packed with the ventilated seats,paddle shifts,sunroof,good OEM HU,park assist.
I have my cousin working in tornado workshop and has assured that the after sales is not a problem at all with the 4 year warranty from VW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
I too am looking for a Sedan in that segment. I have been going through a lot a research and test drives as under -

1. BMW 320D CE - It just lacks space and features but driving pleasure surely will be big. I am a bit concerned about it hitting bottom on our bad roads in West UP/Delhi/Faridabad area. Was offered 1.75L discount on CE and 2L discount on Exclusive (1.25L for X1) 1 day prior to budget. Donno exact situation today. It was 24.14L (including BMW secure insurance, temp Delhi registration and handling charges of 25K (rip off?)). Uttaranchal registration would be 2.5% extra. Total expected cost on road would be around 24.75L
I am leaning towards the Passat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
After driving the Passat 2011 extensively let me tell you that if you do end up buying the car you will never regret it cause it genuinely is a fantastic proposition at the 30 odd lakh pricing. You do get features like the climatic seats, auto hold, park assist, etc which are not present in cars with double the price tag. The 6 speed DSG with paddle shifters is a delight coupled with the 350NM of torque and is really a fun car when showed corners (close to the 3 series but not as good ofcourse.)

Having said that it is not too different than the Superb you previously owned and there will be many times when you will just be in the cabin and wonder whether it is a different car or just a shorter Superb with black interiors. VW after sales is nothing to write home about but they do manage to do a good job most of the times.

If it is an understated car packed with features you are looking for the just go for it and you will be happy. But remember that it will not feel like an upgrade from the Superb but just a replacement. All the best in making your buying decision.
I am already missing my superb,sold it just because of the after sales.
I am ok with the upgrade even it feels like the superb.The superb is very noisy inside the cabin,passat cabin is well insulated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I think you should go with the Passat. Its a much more better overall package. No doubt the BMW badge has a lot of desirability quotient to it. So if that matters to you a lot then go for it. But otherwise speaking I feel the space inside the 3 series is really tight. Afterall you are buying the cheapest BMW available whereas the Passat is more of a luxury offering from VW. Only downside with the Passat for me is that you have to deal with after sales staff who is more used to dealing with sub 10L rupee cars. They might not be as sophisticated as the german trio. I agree with dkaile above that an idea BMW is the 5 series which is a more complete car.
Thanks Doc,I guess I am signing the cheque for the passat very soon.....

Last edited by kedarwalke : 18th March 2012 at 15:28.
Old 18th March 2012, 15:30   #9
Senior - BHPian

Get the Passat then!
While the BMW is better to drive, the Passat feels very good as well! For regular driving, you will not be disappointed even a little. Its only at the 10% extreme levels that you would wish for the BMW.
Throw in the features it has, and it looks wonderful!

@dkaile: Did the VW dealership mention anything about feature deletion from the comfortline variant? Making it more spartan, and the removal of the trendline variant - so you have CL M/T and A/T, but with reduced features?
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2012, 16:24   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

^^Agree with Mohit and Lambo... The Passat looks like the best option. Its fully loaded, and 170bhp diesel motor is indeed a good one.
Happy shopping!
vb-san is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2012, 17:04   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedarwalke View Post
Thanks Doc,I guess I am signing the cheque for the passat very soon.....
Congratulations. Which variant and colour are you considering? Looking forward to an ownership report. We don't have any for the Passat yet I think.
drmohitg is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2012, 18:23   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am leaning towards the Passat.
One should go for the vehicle that one has his mind set on otherwise you don't enjoy the ownership experience.

But the only point for me is whether the Passat is worth the 10L premium over the Superb just for the diesel engine and some features which you might never use in Indian conditions (like the automatic parking one). Both are same group company, made on the same line, using nearly same components, engines and gearboxes (in diesel). Even the audio system looks exactly the same on both cars and there is a marginal difference in features. Superb is longer and has 8 airbags to Passat's 6. Passat has additional rear park camera and keyless go (on highline). Both are conservative looking (Passat from the front and Supeb from the rear) and neither has the niche' appeal of a BMW/Audi/Mercedes brand. Both's A S S are about average from industry figures. And 10L is a huge amount for me. For that amount of money I would have gone for a Audi A4.

Last edited by dkaile : 18th March 2012 at 18:35.
Old 18th March 2012, 18:27   #13
BHPian

I am booking the highline top model.Need advice from the seniors here,m getting a discount of rs2lac on 2011 nov highline model.
The 2012 price will be 5% more+longer waiting period.
kedarwalke is offline   Received Infraction
Old 18th March 2012, 18:28   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks Akshay your beemer is an absolute delight and the VRS thread is equally exciting.The 520D is my dream vehicle,but the budget is tight.
I am looking at a more luxurious and feature packed ride,320 does not fit in.The passat is well built and feels solid and spacious packed with the ventilated seats,paddle shifts,sunroof,good OEM HU,park assist.
I have my cousin working in tornado workshop and has assured that the after sales is not a problem at all with the 4 year warranty from VW.
It seems you like the Passat more, then just buy that. Its a great buy and offers brilliant features. They are both different kinds of cars and if you think the Passat suits you better then it makes sense to get that. The only thing is there will be many similarities between that and the Superb you just sold, but since you seem to have liked your Superb that too shouldn't be an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
One should go for the vehicle that one has his mind set on otherwise you don't enjoy the ownership experience.

But the only point for me is whether the Passat is worth the 10L premium over the Superb just for the diesel engine and some features which you might never use in Indian conditions.
10 lacs is the difference between the Superb 1.8 MT and the Passat highline. The difference between the diesel Superb and Passat highline is about 5l, infact maybe a bit less. No doubt the Superb is VFM but sometimes people are willing to spend just for features.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 18th March 2012 at 18:42.
Akshay1234 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2012, 18:34   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile

But the only point for me is whether the Passat is worth the 10L premium over the Superb just for the diesel engine and some features which you might never use in Indian conditions (like the automatic parking one).
Drove the superb extensively for 3 yrs ,it is not close to the passat in terms of build quality.Stay away from the superb.
The electric break,keyless entry,ventilated seats,rear electric blinds are a boon.
Closed Thread