Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 30th January 2013, 00:40   #421

Thanks guys. Will do the needful
pikaxe123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2013, 11:32   #422
BHPian

Default Re: Which Diesel car for ~10 Lakh? Vento vs Verna vs Rapid vs Fiesta vs Linea vs Othe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikaxe123 View Post
Thanks . Will do, I was looking at elegance & highline. Actually the vw vento test vehicle was old with squeaks. May be that gave away the false impression. I will try another showroom for the vw. Apparently there are some squeaky noise issue with the vw. Is it the same incase of rapid? well look wise I like the rapid's chiseled bum & the trademark 'c' taillights. The fog lamps are sized well for c segment car unlike the vento tiny circular lamps( subjective matter though) So all in all you are a satisfied soul. Any vento owners would like to she'd some light on this matter?
Personally. I'd prefer the Vento. It does have a more premium image over the Skoda. Even though they are more or less the same car, I like the instrument cluster and center console setup of the Vento better. It comes with classy/ sporty looking red and white lights on the speedo and center console unlike the Rapid's decade old green illumination. It just looks really boring comapred the Vento's. I also feel that the Vento's understated front end matches the rest of the car's styling than the Rapid's Fabia- like front end design. Of course, looks are subjective so i'll leave that part If you get all those equipment for the Highline Vento over the Rapid then why not go for the VW? I feel it's better than buying an under specced car and fitting aftermarket parts, and possibly messing up the vehicle's warranty. Happy hunting. Cheers!

Last edited by Vivek Jayan : 30th January 2013 at 11:35.
Vivek Jayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2013, 14:30   #423
BHPian

Default Re: Which Diesel car for ~10 Lakh? Vento vs Verna vs Rapid vs Fiesta vs Linea vs Othe

Since, I am in the same boat, I can feel the problem. Apart from all the issues mentioned about, the deal breaker is the offers given with vento/rapid. I have been in touch with dealers of both and short of booking one (with in a month).

The Skoda SA has been in constant touch with me, explaining various things, pushing me to my limits to do the booking, asking me to further TD's! The Vento SA has gone cold for last 2 weeks, where, I come to know he went for his wedding (with no replacement ?!) So, when I had a few questions, there was no one answer ! The vento prices have now obviously been hiked with additional features. I am not sure what skoda is up to (just price hike and/or more features ? )

In any case, the rapid Elegence (with less features ) is coming to almost 80k less compared to vento highline (without navigation and before price hike )with all features like steering mounted controls etc.. As the skoda SA promised a cash discount of 35k (+ some corporate discount, may be) instead of free insurance (which was not 0% dep.).

I have test driven both cars. For me, the feel I got after getting in to vento was quite different from getting in to the rapid (this is of course personal !). Vento felt premium, seconded by my wife (may be because we got in to it at night, as compared to rapid in the afternoon ; The cars in evening lights and noon sun do look different ).

The skoda SA is pushing me and seems like he will give more accessories and benefits, the VW SA is nonchalant with no offers or accessories whatsoever. There is no dealer competition here. So, it is difficult to make a decision.

Heart says VW, Back pocket says, let-go of the additional features and opt for Skoda
stringbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2013, 14:42   #424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek Jayan View Post
Personally. I'd prefer the Vento. It does have a more premium image over the Skoda. Even though they are more or less the same car, I like the instrument cluster and center console setup of the Vento better. It comes with classy/ sporty looking red and white lights on the speedo and center console unlike the Rapid's decade old green illumination. It just looks really boring comapred the Vento's. I also feel that the Vento's understated front end matches the rest of the car's styling than the Rapid's Fabia- like front end design. Of course, looks are subjective so i'll leave that part If you get all those equipment for the Highline Vento over the Rapid then why not go for the VW? I feel it's better than buying an under specced car and fitting aftermarket parts, and possibly messing up the vehicle's warranty. Happy hunting. Cheers!
I have a Rapid and my friend has a Vento. We sometimes swap our cars and yes there is no difference. I am happy with my Rapid and he is happy with his Vento .
sam_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2013, 15:01   #425
BHPian

even my confusion was Vento or Rapid. But Rapid from front looked more sportive & gone for Rapid & happy with my decision
ALSUDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2013, 15:07   #426
BHPian

I was facing the same issue for the past one month.

Requirement: Replacement for my 2009 Swift Vdi, done 103000kms.
99% of the times i would only have a max of 2 passengers in the car. But considering that no diesel hatch really gave me the feeling of a BIGGER car, i moved on to the sedans.

My budget was 11.5L OTR Pune.

Considered the Duster, Scala, Sunny, Rapid, Vento, Verna and Safari Storme. I was ready to pay the additional monies if i really found the Verna or the Storme worth the premium.

1) Renault Duster RXL 85 PS, 11.5 L OTR
I was OK with the looks, but the interiors, rear seat, equipment levels and features(the lack of it), made the car totally not worth the price. I see no reason for people to buy the car now that one can buy the Storme for a slight premium. And the 14L OTR was the RXZ 110PS is just shocking.

2) Nissan Sunny/ Renault Scala
I was always a fan of the rear legroom of the Sunny/ Scala. I opened the door, and shut it again. Interiors i did not like. Literally an open and shut case.

3) Skoda Rapid top end
Test drove this after the Verna. Stoker of an engine. Good space. Solid feel (something that im not used to as we have only owned Suzukis, Hyundais and Toyotas in the past). Did not like the fit and finish of the interior. Engine felt a little too noisy for my liking. Proper drivers car. Good grunt, sorted ride and handling, nice feel to the steering. Dealer offered good discount as well. Horror stories of A.S.S was the deal breaker, i cannot take the risk of getting bad service especially after reading and hearing so much.

4) VW Vento HighLine
Drove this after the Rapid. I already love how the car looks. I loved the interiors. Loved the fit finish of the dash. Loved the classy leatherette seats. Sales exec was the best ive ever met. No issues with the length of test drive. very informative, patient, not pushy at all, and explained everything really well and in a non sales-terms talk. Stock audio was decent. no BT still, but im ok with that. Rear seat was good for 2. For the first time i even sat in the rear of any cars i tested, just because it felt good. Loved the terra beige colour as well. The blackened headlamps on the newer Ventos (and Polos) looked nice with this shade. My other option was silver, but i really liked the terra beige better. I was sold. Still...

5) Tata Safari Storme
My friend has the Safari Vx (previous gen), and there are many issues with it. Quality, fit finish, and handling being the main ones. But lovely ride and good power. I drive it very often, and i just know the it isnt the car for me. But i still decided to test drive the Storme. We test drove the Vx. I liked it. Feels plusher, classier, looks better (subjective), and definitely feels like an all new Safari. a lot of car for the price. And this is exactly why i wonder why people would still buy the Duster. Dint buy it because 13-14 kmpl would mean a considerable increase in fuel bills (~3000-4000kms / month)

6) Hyundai Verna 1.6 CRDi SX
i LOVED the car. folding mirrors, speedo startup drama, MID, self tinting mirror, and a young, sexy exterior,16" alloy wheels. seemed like it had it all. But this was the first test drive.
On the second one, i started hating the faux wood trim, poor audio quality, and pathetic rear seat. I now considered the Vento as the benchmark, hence i also started looking at the rear seats. 'Boat' characteristics were not very evident, although it dint feel as well planted as the Vento. Had they priced it closer to the Vento, i would even do a suspension upgrade almost immediately, but its almost 40k more expensive. And this one isnt even with the engine push start/ 6 airbags. Read more reviews about poor quality front bumper and fog lamp issue.
took dad to the showroom the next day. He dint like the rear seat too. he brought some logic into me by asking me if i would still buy it over the vento if not for the speedo drama and folding mirrors.

we walked out of the showroom.

and finally, yesterday, I put my money down on a Volkswagen Vento 1.6 TDI HighLine, in Terra Beige colour. OTR was close to 11.5L .

Will keep everyone here updated about things.

Regards,
Satyajeet

Last edited by satya180 : 30th January 2013 at 15:09. Reason: clarity
satya180 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2013, 17:54   #427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satya180 View Post
and finally, yesterday, I put my money down on a Volkswagen Vento 1.6 TDI HighLine, in Terra Beige colour. OTR was close to 11.5L .
Hearty congratulations Satya. Precise choice and you will never be repentant on your decision. Vento is a performer and a driverís car. Looking forward to see more updates/ownership report from you.

LOTHAR
Mighty_Lothar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2013, 19:51   #428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was facing the same issue for the past one month.

Requirement: Replacement for my 2009 Swift Vdi, done 103000kms.
99% of the times i would only have a max of 2 passengers in the car. But considering that no diesel hatch really gave me the feeling of a BIGGER car, i moved on to the sedans.

My budget was 11.5L OTR Pune.

Will keep everyone here updated about things.

Regards,
Satyajeet
Hey buddy !!

Very good decision. Vento is a torque monster. You will enjoy driving it.

were any discounts offered ? When is the expected delivery ?

Did you not consider XUV 500 W6 ?
F150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2013, 21:21   #429
BHPian

I wish someone made an excel sheet for comparison which would make the job easier. I will try this weekend if possible. I am still considering all these though my budget of less than 10lac is driving me towards Sunny.
Also, is anyone waiting for the amaze? Is it worth the wait?
travelex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2013, 21:47   #430
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelex View Post
I wish someone made an excel sheet for comparison which would make the job easier. I will try this weekend if possible. I am still considering all these though my budget of less than 10lac is driving me towards Sunny.
Also, is anyone waiting for the amaze? Is it worth the wait?
I think there may be no comparison between the two, in case you are looking for space. Sunny/Scala will be a different league in terms of space.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2013, 21:51   #431
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I think there may be no comparison between the two, in case you are looking for space. Sunny/Scala will be a different league in terms of space.
I meant an excel comparing all the features of these around 10lac sedans.
travelex is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2013, 07:26   #432
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
3) Skoda Rapid top end
Horror stories of A.S.S was the deal breaker, i cannot take the risk of getting bad service especially after reading and hearing so much.

4) VW Vento HighLineI was sold. Still...
@satya - Vento is a good car, Congratulations.

I keep wondering about this - while the horror stories of Skoda's A.S.S is very concerning and puts off several potential buyers, how is VW a better choice on the A.S.S front ? After all both are part of the same group!
Is VW the choice due to premium positioning (price) compared to Skoda Or they don't have enough A.S.S history to be compared with Skoda or both?
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2013, 07:44   #433
BANNED

Vento is a great choice of course.. probably the best diesel sedan to own & drive.. the Renault Scala seems very promising in this range too.. I saw that you didnt like how the doors shut nothing can compare to VW or Fiat in that area.. even GM Aveo was superb but they have regressed with less steel used on Sail.

Last edited by gsurya : 1st February 2013 at 07:49.
gsurya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2013, 10:42   #434
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
@satya - Vento is a good car, Congratulations.

I keep wondering about this - while the horror stories of Skoda's A.S.S is very concerning and puts off several potential buyers, how is VW a better choice on the A.S.S front ? After all both are part of the same group!
Is VW the choice due to premium positioning (price) compared to Skoda Or they don't have enough A.S.S history to be compared with Skoda or both?
Hi NPV
I have friends and families between which some have the Vento and some the Rapid. Almost all Rapid owners complained of the Service being the ONLY issue with the car (in Pune). On the other hand, ive heard all praises about VW service from the respective owners. Time taken for service(VW) is not that much of an issue for me. Baseless estimates, spurious parts and service quality (Skoda) though is a MAJOR issue for me.
The VW India FaceBook page is filled with complaints, but most are too small to consider. They are the sort of problems one discusses with the Service Advisor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
Vento is a great choice of course.. probably the best diesel sedan to own & drive.. the Renault Scala seems very promising in this range too.. I saw that you didnt like how the doors shut nothing can compare to VW or Fiat in that area.. even GM Aveo was superb but they have regressed with less steel used on Sail.
Hi gsurya,
I had no issues with how the doors shut, we have only owned and driven Japanese cars yet. What i saw after opening the door (the interior, dashboard, steering) is what i had an issue with. The design was not to my liking.

Last edited by mobike008 : 1st February 2013 at 17:18. Reason: back to back posts. Please use multi-quote option for quoting more than one post. Thanks
satya180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2013, 11:08   #435
Senior - BHPian

@satya180--congrats on choosing the Vento. I firmly believe that the Vento and the Rapid are the best options for diesel sedans under 11 lakhs today.

I personally like the looks of the Vento over the Rapid, as the latter has a 'Fabiaish' look. But what I'm told by friends is that the Rapid has a better steering feel, and that the Vento's steering lacks enough feedback, though both cars are good handlers.

Skoda service in Hyd is quite good, going by opinions expressed by Skoda owners. But it may not be the same all over India. I'm not sure of VW service though. All that I know is that when the Vento was introduced, their sales staff were a bit arrogant.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote