Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 2nd March 2013, 23:04   #496
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivingme.crazy View Post

Mind over matter.. and everything else. Go for Rapid TDI. You'll never regret it. I'm sure Linea is a great car but it lacks the "punch" Rapid has. And if you want to stamp your presence on road, Rapid wins hands down.
Dude, what's the basis of this statement " And if you want to stamp your presence on road, Rapid wins hands down." Can you prove with numbers or stats, if you have any?
ajay_satpute is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2013, 23:38   #497
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Which Diesel car for ~10 Lakh? Vento vs Verna vs Rapid vs Fiesta vs Linea vs Othe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetorange View Post
Hi folks! I am upgrading from Swift vdi to either Skoda Rapid tdi Elegance or Fiat Linea Mjd Emotion. Heart says Linea and mind says Rapid. Suggestions??
Own both the cars - Vento (Rapid's cousin) and a Linea and i would give you a very honest reply here.

At present, i would pick up a Rapid any day over the Linea 1.3 MJD, the Linea is the best handler any given day but seriously lacks power to use that handling, Rapid/Vento are the best package, stunning engine with good handling, much better gearbox, better after sales though cost is higher, better snob value and the 1.6 TDi is so much more fun to drive.

If the Linea came with 1.6 MJD, i would have suggested that for you as even today no car can match the suspension and build quality of Linea but i really didnt like the 1.3 diesel and the rubbery gearbox.
coolboy007 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2013, 08:08   #498
BHPian

Default Re: Which Diesel car for ~10 Lakh? Vento vs Verna vs Rapid vs Fiesta vs Linea vs Othe

Am just wondering whether we should put the Honda Amaze into this debate as well. Of course, once it is launched, but still.

The pre launch drive seems to hint at a pretty decent car overall and am assuming the 1.5 engine returns a decent mileage. Pricing would be around there as well, though that is to be seen.
pganapathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2013, 10:22   #499
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Dude, what's the basis of this statement " And if you want to stamp your presence on road, Rapid wins hands down." Can you prove with numbers or stats, if you have any?
It's not the stats or numbers.. it's the control and feel on road... be it city roads or highways. Ask any Rapid owner, you'll know. If you look at stats, then again Rapid is the "I'm the new dude on road". I'm sorry to say but Linea is just another car on road now. Not turning heads in admiration anymore.
drivingme.crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2013, 11:48   #500
BHPian

Quote:
Hi folks! I am upgrading from Swift vdi to either Skoda Rapid tdi Elegance or Fiat Linea Mjd Emotion. Heart says Linea and mind says Rapid. Suggestions??
Rapid! Linea is a dying model in my opinion though a brilliant car. But a 1.3 engine for such a big car is a no go. It can get really frustrating when you're on the open road and want to do some serious/ emergency overtaking maneuvers. Seriously, lack of immediate power (or rather torque in our driving conditions) can be a huge disappointment. We owned a Ford Ikon 1.3 before. It had brilliant handling but it was of little use to us cuz the car didn't have the oomph to use its handling potential! It's that simple. Go for the Rapid. Just like coolboy007 mentioned, it has better snob value. I would personally pick the Vento for the equipment and some differences in its interiors but the Rapid is also a pretty good buy. Cheers.
Vivek Jayan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2013, 12:05   #501
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivingme.crazy View Post
It's not the stats or numbers.. it's the control and feel on road... be it city roads or highways. Ask any Rapid owner, you'll know. If you look at stats, then again Rapid is the "I'm the new dude on road". I'm sorry to say but Linea is just another car on road now. Not turning heads in admiration anymore.
Linea definitely controls & feels better on road. For me a Rapid looks like a Fabia with a boot attached. No offence meant. That being said Linea badly needs the 1.6MJD.
Rufus_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2013, 12:34   #502
BHPian

Go for rapid:1, Relatively new model.

2,powerful engine1.6lit
3,sales volume are ok so may be better resale value later.
Go for linea:1, The best comfort n safety package overall in these segment(emotion +)
2,VFM with the offered discount I think one should get under 9.75 lakh on road.
3,the best handler n if you wanna cruise in triple digit speed with ease this should be your car.
I own 2010 linea MJD n yes it is under powered and the biggest -ve is its poor resale value.But it is a reliable n safe car.
In the last two n half years of ownership (odo@55k)I spent only 5k for front left suspension spring,pad n set change other than usual oil changing expenses.
bhunu AMG is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2013, 12:40   #503
Team-BHP Support

Rapid would be my choice. It's sensibly priced, has the better engine compared to the Linea and has more rear seat space than the Linea. Basically a more rounded package.

The only thing in favour of the Linea is the exemplary ride and handling. Else it falls short on performance and overall practicality.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2013, 12:58   #504
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek Jayan View Post
Rapid! I would personally pick the Vento for the equipment and some differences in its interiors but the Rapid is also a pretty good buy.
The missus has a BIG say in deciding the car too (it's her Swift vdi we are exchanging; I have a humble Figo ). She wants a good looking car. The Vento looks a bit plain jane and staid in Silver ( next to the brilliant Skoda silver). Linea had been her long time crush, but she is now stealing looks at the Rapid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Rapid would be my choice. It's sensibly priced, has the better engine compared to the Linea and has more rear seat space than the Linea. Basically a more rounded package.
From the horse's mouth! This is veering decidedly in favor of the Rapid. The attitude of the salesmen also matters. Tata dealer ( VST motors) here in Trichy is very laid back as that particular agency is not putting up a new FIAT showroom.
The Skoda sales man (Gurudev motors), on the other hand calls me twice a day! Both of them have still not come up with clinching arguments or offers. How much of a discount can I ask from the on road price for a Rapid Elegance tdi?

Last edited by Vid6639 : 3rd March 2013 at 21:49. Reason: merging consecutive posts. Please use the multiquote option when replying to multiple posts in the same thread.
sunsetorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2013, 14:50   #505
BHPian

Quote:
From the horse's mouth! This is veering decidedly in favor of the Rapid. The attitude of the salesmen also matters. Tata dealer ( VST motors) here in Trichy is very laid back as that particular agency is not putting up a new FIAT showroom.
The Skoda sales man (Gurudev motors), on the other hand calls me twice a day! Both of them have still not come up with clinching arguments or offers. How much of a discount can I ask from the on road price for a Rapid Elegance tdi?
recently bought a rapid elegance,2012 sept make just 2 days back.
on road price was rs 109700.this includes extended warranty + zero dip warranty.over all experiance with dealer was not bad. they promised full tank on delivery but it was quarter tank full.they said its because they brought the vehicle from madurai.still not convinced with their answer.will take this to skoda when i get a welcome call.
drbabuanand is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2013, 15:30   #506
BHPian

Quote:
The missus has a BIG say in deciding the car too (it's her Swift vdi we are exchanging; I have a humble Figo ). She wants a good looking car. The Vento looks a bit plain jane and staid in Silver ( next to the brilliant Skoda silver). Linea had been her long time crush, but she is now stealing looks at the Rapid.
I see Do go for the Rapid. I've also read a review on the Linea in one magazine which stated that the ergonomics are more suited to Italian folks (long arms and short legs) than us Indians. However I don't know how reliable the info is. In my opinion the face-lifted Linea looks UGLY compared to the old one which was one hell of a looker! Did you do a test drive of both the cars yet?

Last edited by Vivek Jayan : 3rd March 2013 at 15:32.
Vivek Jayan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2013, 19:00   #507
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbabuanand View Post

recently bought a rapid elegance,2012 sept make just 2 days back.
on road price was rs 109700.this includes extended warranty + zero dip warranty.over all experiance with dealer was not bad. they promised full tank on delivery but it was quarter tank full.they said its because they brought the vehicle from madurai.still not convinced with their answer.
I wonder why it took 3/4 of the tank of diesel to travel 150 km. Jokes apart, he is offering me only free insurance with a few freebies including 20 litres of diesel. On road price is 1108000. He says they are sold out of 2012 models and he is getting 2013 model for me. I don't believe him as Gurudev motors' website says they still have 2012 stocks.

Quote:

I see Do go for the Rapid. In my opinion the face-lifted Linea looks UGLY compared to the old one which was one hell of a looker! Did you do a test drive of both the cars yet?
The new linea on the Turkish web page looks like it has sprouted an ugly goatee. Test drove both and am impressed by the clean uncluttered dashboard of the Rapid. Fit and finish looks better too. The torque ..... is addictive to say the least. The Linea, on the other hand holds my gaze every time. It is like the college beauty who everyone looks at but no one approaches.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 3rd March 2013 at 21:49. Reason: merging consecutive posts. Please use the multiquote option when replying to multiple posts in the same thread.
sunsetorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2013, 19:45   #508
BHPian

Quote:

Mind is the more practical choice.Reasons:

Powerful Engine.
Dealers,Still not good are better than that of Fiat.
Linea is about to be phased out.New Linea is about to come out in 2014.But Rapid is a pretty new model.That means less spare part availability in the Linea and more in the Rapid.
Achyuth Vaibhav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2013, 19:49   #509
BHPian

Quote:
The Linea, on the other hand holds my gaze every time. It is like the college beauty who everyone looks at but no one approaches.
well said my friend! Well we all know the saying "never judge a book by its cover" don't we? So, have you decided yet? What is your spouse's choice?
Vivek Jayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2013, 20:27   #510
BHPian

Quote:
: So, have you decided yet? What is your spouse's choice?
Skoda Rapid tdi in Brilliant Silver. Elegance as I insist on dual air bags. I am a bit sore that I will miss out on the cool automatic wiper and headlights + steering mounted audio controls and the huge 205/55/16 wheels of the Linea Emotion.
sunsetorange is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote