Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 13th March 2013, 10:28   #526
BHPian

Default Re: Which Diesel car for ~10 Lakh? Vento vs Verna vs Rapid vs Fiesta vs Linea vs Othe

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq24 View Post
  • Diesel
  • Comfortable Ride
  • Below 10 Lakh or around that mark.
  • Cheap to maintain
  • Abuse Friendly
I am only looking at your above requirement and the cars which will almost fulfill your needs,

1) SX4
2) Verito (It still looks boxy, but the redesigned front and rear is somewhat OK and when it comes to space, practicality and economy, I would still vote for this car).

And on a side note, I drive a VW Vento Diesel and I would love to recommend the same if you can compromise on your last two prerequisite

LOTHAR
Mighty_Lothar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2013, 03:14   #527

Default Re: Which Diesel car for ~10 Lakh? Vento vs Verna vs Rapid vs Fiesta vs Linea vs Othe

Can someone please tell me if the Rapid comes with 2 reverse lights. I am supposed to write a cheque out to the people at Nissan for the Sunny, but would like to test drive the Rapid before I commit to Nissan. Only trouble is that the Skoda show room is a fair distance away from when I live and I do not want to take an unnecessary trip if the car does not even have 2 factory fitted reverse lights.
Meili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2013, 07:59   #528
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meili View Post
Can someone please tell me if the Rapid comes with 2 reverse lights. I am supposed to write a cheque out to the people at Nissan for the Sunny, but would like to test drive the Rapid before I commit to Nissan. Only trouble is that the Skoda show room is a fair distance away from when I live and I do not want to take an unnecessary trip if the car does not even have 2 factory fitted reverse lights.
Why should reverse lights be a deal-breaker! There are other much more important pros and cons to weigh about these cars. Both cars are entirely of different character, even the company and the so should be the dealers.

On the other hand, many cars these days come with reverse lights on only one side. Even the Italian designed Fiats. And the single light is sufficient for reversing. Or do you have some other unique requirement?
thoma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2013, 09:40   #529
BHPian

For your info, Linea has two reverse lights and rear fogs. Its the punto which has one. It is nice to have a pair of reverse lights and fogs. Although as Thoma said it should not be a deal breaker. You can upgrade the bulb or put in a good reverse cam. For me, these two at the back enhances the vision and the looks of the car. The reverse fogs in the Linea are powerful and improves the vision on ORVMS during night drives. I don't know how many lights the vento has. My polo has just one.
SUPERSPORT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2013, 09:45   #530
BHPian

Quote:
I can vouch for Nissan Sunny "head over heels", i have driven my sis-in-laws vehicle quite a number of time and i just love the drive of it, just excellent and the leg space in the cabin the best in its class and correctly called the "The Caaaar"

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Why should reverse lights be a deal-breaker! There are other much more important pros and cons to weigh about these cars. Both cars are entirely of different character, even the company and the so should be the dealers.

On the other hand, many cars these days come with reverse lights on only one side. Even the Italian designed Fiats. And the single light is sufficient for reversing. Or do you have some other unique requirement?
Considering all pros of the cars to be equal then this can be a deal breaker.
rajeshchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2013, 09:47   #531
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The European Rules actually ask for min one Reverse Light and min one Fog light. So to comply manufacturers have either two reverse and two fog lights or one of each on either side. In India some do tend to give two reversing lights and NO Fog lights - which is even cheaper as a solution as then the two side light reflector covers too can be similar and will look uniform, but from the safety point of view lacks a rear fog light.

At times of heavy rains many of us tend to use the hazard lights (all indicators blinking) which is wrong and misleads vs a stationary parked vehicle in trouble. The rear fog light is supposed to be used in case of difficult visibility conditions to prevent being rear ended.

In anycase a car with one reverse light and one fog light is definately a better designed one than one with two reverse lights and no fog lights, though if there were two of each it would be great.

Also IMO 1 light of each type actually helps clarify which light is on and there is no confusion.

Many at times keep the rear fog lights on even in good visibility conditions and this hits the eyes of drivers in cars following quite hard, and there are those who think that the car looks better with all lights on - not realizing that at the rear they have just one fog light on and the car is appearing "kana".

This all of coruse need not really be a criteria in selecting car.
ACM is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2013, 12:44   #532

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post

I don't really care if the Rapid is superior in every other respect. I do not take cheating very lightly. If I have to pay them 10 lakh rupees, I expect the car to come with 2 lights, otherwise I would feel short changed. Hate to be taken for a ride, no pun intended.

But you still haven't answered my question whether the Rapid has 2 lights or just one.
Meili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2013, 13:42   #533
BHPian

Hey eq24. You can have a look at the Nissan Sunny other than Rapid and Vento. The Sunny XL is fully loaded and you can have a look at it.If you want more features,Then go for the Sunny XV. The Sunny XL and XV are definitely cheaper than the Rapid and Vento duo. The Verito too is a decent car but if you want a fully loaded car, Go for the Sunny.I too have a Sunny and will definitely recommend it for you. VW's ASS is pretty bad and the spare parts are also expensive.Sunny must make the deal for you.

Cheers,

Achyuth

Note from the Team-BHP Support: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting an entire long message inconveniences our mobile users.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 16th March 2013 at 14:22.
Achyuth Vaibhav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2013, 14:09   #534
BHPian

Quote:
I don't really care if the Rapid is superior in every other respect. I do not take cheating very lightly. If I have to pay them 10 lakh rupees, I expect the car to come with 2 lights, otherwise I would feel short changed. Hate to be taken for a ride, no pun intended.

But you still haven't answered my question whether the Rapid has 2 lights or just one.
What if I tell you the Rapid is better built, has a better, more powerful engine with loads of torque, one of the best ride and handling package in the segment, better interior quality, more brand value and looks(subjective) than the Sunny? If you don't want to pay 10 lakhs for all that and instead go for the Sunny then the loss is yours IMHO. It is decently spaced though not as generously as the Sunny. BTW I did some searching for the "two reverse lights" query you had. Check out the link below. I'm guessing it does come with two lights by the looks of it and even if it doesn't, you can fix one as an aftermarket fitment. I really wouldn't decide on a car by the number of lights it has. :

http://www.google.co.in/imgres?hl=en...&tx=149&ty=107
Vivek Jayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2013, 17:38   #535
BHPian

Quote:

To answer your question, Rapid has two lights!! You are the first one on this forum to make a decision based on the reverse light. But to each his own I guess!
If you do decide to go for the Rapid, as a bonus you also get superior handling, a very powerful and responsive engine, stability at high speeds . You will enjoy the drive much better than any other car in that bracket!! And oh yes, not to mention the two reverse lights!!
hrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2013, 18:30   #536
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
And oh yes, not to mention the two reverse lights!!
You sir, made my day! On a slightly different note, among the Vento and Rapid, what would you pick? I see alot of people going for the Rapid, ignoring the Vento's better interior packaging and brand value.
Vivek Jayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2013, 19:16   #537
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek Jayan View Post

You sir, made my day! On a slightly different note, among the Vento and Rapid, what would you pick? I see alot of people going for the Rapid, ignoring the Vento's better interior packaging and brand value.
I personally would pick the Vento, for 2 reasons. Due to the unpleasant Skoda ASS experience in my city, at least and I somehow prefer the rear look of Vento than the Rapid. Otherwise, these 2 cars are almost identical.

On a lighter note, could single reverse light be the hidden reason behind Punto's dismal sales in India?

Last edited by ajay_satpute : 17th March 2013 at 19:19.
ajay_satpute is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2013, 22:37   #538
BHPian

Quote:
I drive a Rapid. When I was looking out for a new car, the price difference, the better NVH, suspension, and more features in the mid variant of Rapid made me choose it over the Vento.
From what I've read on this forum, there are many incidents of VW service centers going the Skoda way of yesteryears and Skoda service centers actually doing that extra bit to improve their image. So at this point, my bet would go on the Rapid.
hrman is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2013, 12:36   #539
BHPian

Hi!

I'm confused between a Vento and Rapid for dad's primary car - he does about 1600 kms a month, and our 5 year old SX4 is due for replacement. We have ruled out the Scala, Duster, Safari Storme for various reasons, and also the Verna (not a fan of Hyundai handling). Also, I love the way the Fiesta handles, but interior quality, space and resale means a no-no. Same reason for no Fiats.

Finally narrowed down on the European sisters. I love the ride, handling, mature setup, and Torque on both these diesels, but need help with the offers I'm getting on both. Budget is 9-10 lacs.

Rapid - I have heard on the forum that there are discounts upto 1 lac, but I visited the Faridabad dealer, and he said that all I can get on a 2013 Elegance plus (MY13 with the refreshed leather bits) is a 35k discount and nothing else. This is a damper, because it gets the price very close (~5 to 10k) to the new Vento Highline, which offers more peace of mind wrt service, and more features, plus a VW badge.

Vento - On a 2013 refreshed Vento (leatherite seats, new bluetooth stereo, leather bits on gearknob, steering wheel, smoked headlamps etc), they are offering free insurance (worth 40k), 10k discount, and 20k exchange (but the exchange rate for my old car is so low that's it's better to sell outside, so I may need to let go of the exchange bonus). That brings the OTR to about 10.5, which is about 10k more than the Rapid. What I get extra (apart from the service quality and brand) is reverse parking sensors, steering mounted controls, leatherite seats, USB / bluetooth, and better color coordinated interiors.

On a 2012 non refreshed Vento, I miss out on the leatherite, bluetooth and smoked lamps, essentially. VW is giving a 75 k flat discount on 2012 cars, but no other offers (insurance etc). That brings the OTR to about 10.

Question -

Rapid seems more or less out, unless there is indeed higher discount (Even though the ex-showroom price is substiantially lower than the Vento, it ends up costing the same due to less discounts!). I would not buy a Skoda over a VW (and with less features) unless the difference is at least 60-70k.

Are the offers on the Vento any good? I seem to like the offer on the refreshed 2013 version. But if they are giving the 2013 for 10.5k with all these new features (and 2013 manufacture - the dealer guarantees it), then shouldn't a 2012 non refreshed one be substantially discounted? I believe the OTR should come to 9.5-9.75. Is it possible to bargain this much / has anyone got a better offer?

Since the budget is 9-10, I don't mind going for a 2012 car as long as it's discounted enough to make up for the dip in resale based on manufacturing year when I sell it.

Thanks!
ayushagarwal26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2013, 16:57   #540
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayushagarwal26 View Post
Hi!

I'm confused between a Vento and Rapid for dad's primary car - he does about 1600 kms a month, and our 5 year old SX4 is due for replacement.
I would prefer the looks of the Rapid compared to Vento.

Though the interiors of the Vento are far better than the Rapid, however I feel the Rapid scores over the Vento in the following areas :-
a. NHV insulation in the Rapid is better than Vento.
b. Rapid has much better superior suspension setup than the Vento and this makes a lot of difference as far as handling and ride comfort is concerned in the actual Indian highway driving.
c. The brakes of the Rapid gives more confidence than the Vento. Maybe this is purely my personal feeling.

Vento has more brand value but as far as service is concerned, there is not much difference between the two.
Sommos is offline   Reply With Quote