Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 27th August 2013, 16:03   #586
BHPian

Default Re: Which Diesel car for ~10 Lakh? Vento vs Verna vs Rapid vs Fiesta vs Linea vs Othe

[quote=aneezan;3219665]I am on the lookout for a ~10Lakh sedan which I would probably decide on by the end of the year. I currently own a 4 year old Alto which has clocked about 43000 Kms.
Though hassle free, I have to curb the itch to take the highways on the Alto. I don't want to do the same with the new car.
I intend to use the car for my daily drive to office which is not through bad roads; and also on highways to my home town down south in Kanyakumari.
Hence, the highway drive is one of my top priorities.
I might end up retaining the Alto for my daily trip to office.

Please take a test drive of Honda Amaze. It fits most of your criterion except may be the boot space which would be lesser compared to other models mentioned by you. You can save a lot (2-3 lakhs) if you don't mind looking at a preowned (2-3 year old) petrol sedan like Honda City.
Drivethru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2013, 16:17   #587
BHPian

Default Re: Which Diesel car for ~10 Lakh? Vento vs Verna vs Rapid vs Fiesta vs Linea vs Othe

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneezan View Post
I am on the lookout for a ~10Lakh sedan which I would probably decide on by the end of the year. I currently own a 4 year old Alto which has clocked about 43000 Kms.
Some cars that are in this bracket and took a liking to both me and my wife.
Hyundai Verna 1.6 Sx(O): Excellent looks, Good power and economy. Tons of gizmos for the price, bad handling, bumpy on the highway.
My wife fell in love with it immediately.
Volkswagen Vento Highline: Clean looks, Good power and economy, Good for the highway. Less friendly in the city. Better back seat space and comfort than Verna.
Fiat Linea Emotion: Good Looks, Very good stability and Handling, Good Economy.
Nissan Sunny
Ford Classic
Ford Fiesta

Would be grateful for any advise on helping me arrive at a good conclusion.
I would strongly suggest you to look at the European cars as you are looking for solidity. You should probably retain your Alto for city runs and get a Vento or Linea for the highways.

Last edited by Technocrat : 28th August 2013 at 01:21. Reason: Please quote selectively as a log quoted post causes inconvenience to mobile users. Thanks
ece2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2013, 19:17   #588
BHPian

My recommendation would be Volkswagen Vento for its - Reliability, Economy, Sturdiness and Handling. On road budget may slightly go beyond 10 lacs, considering which variant you choose. Another option you could look at it - Nissan Sunny .

I would avoid Linea the most, considering after sales service reliability.
pahwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2013, 21:56   #589
BHPian

Go for the Vento,it's jack of all trades which is what you're looking for considering your requirements.Good engine,nice back seat and decent equipment.
Verna is not ideal if you're looking at highway runs.
Although if you could wait,Linea 1.6MJD(if launched) might be worth a look
Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2013, 22:55   #590
BHPian

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. My heart leans towards the Vento.
On another note: The family(read wife) has priorities which are fluctuating almost every day. Comparing the boot space of a Vento with that of Ertiga is a no-show. Will take some convincing.
aneezan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2013, 16:08   #591
BHPian

So a similar dilemma here. I already have a Polo, been looking for a sedan around the 10 lakh price bracket. What's really caught my eye are deals on the Ford Fiesta 1.5 Titanium+ Diesel. I'm getting one for approximately 10 lacs on road in Delhi, fully loaded. Though this is a 2012 model. Haven't test driven it yet, maybe this weekend.

I do a 70km Delhi-Gurgaon-Delhi run everyday, so need something that's fuel efficient, decent to drive and has a decent set of features (Steering mounted controls and electrically adjustable mirrors are a must!). Something that I remember reading in the official review is the hard clutch. Can anyone give me a comparison with the Polo's clutch? I have only the Polo to compare it to.

Is it worth buying a 2012 Fiesta? Waiting isn't really an option as my Dad needs my Polo.
Anish88 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2013, 22:20   #592
Senior - BHPian

Very much, an year old new car from dealer's stock in NCR = 1 lakh cash discount + other discounts as per ongoing schemes & freebies.

You may want to take a look at the Fiat Linea Emotion pack, too many goodies to ignore and the vehicle is not bad either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anish88 View Post
Is it worth buying a 2012 Fiesta? Waiting isn't really an option as my Dad needs my Polo.

Last edited by khoj : 29th August 2013 at 22:34.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2013, 21:13   #593
BHPian

Quote:
So a similar dilemma here. I already have a Polo, been looking for a sedan around the 10 lakh price bracket. What's really caught my eye are deals on the Ford Fiesta 1.5 Titanium+ Diesel. I'm getting one for approximately 10 lacs on road in Delhi, fully loaded. Though this is a 2012 model. Haven't test driven it yet, maybe this weekend.

Looking at the advertisement from Ford on the daily newspapers of late about the offer they had on All New Fiesta; I and my wife visited Metro Ford at Bangalore this weekend. The on road price for 2012 1.5 D Titanium + was 13.1 lakh and after the discounts sales assistant quoted us 12.5 lakh (+ 50K worth of accessories of our choice in addition), but then this didn't impressed us much , hence we walked away without any further discussions.

Having said that your quote for 10 lakh on road is quite interesting and I am willing to go for it if this is going to be the case in Bangalore as well. Appreciate if you could share a copy of your quote with all the break ups . Thank you in advance.
Cheers
treadmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2013, 22:59   #594
Senior - BHPian

I would say Toyota Liva ( if you are okay with the looks ) and the Honda Amaze would be the ones to look at.
speedsatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2013, 16:44   #595
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
Appreciate if you could share a copy of your quote with all the break ups
Cheers
So the break up is as follows:
Ex-Showroom: 10,30,978
Insurance: Free
Logistics: 6,250
Extended Warranty: 12,449
Number plate: 289
Total: 11,82,828
Discount: 1,70,378
Net: 10,12,379

This is without Zero depreciation insurance. Basic thing is that it's on sale for 9.99 lacs on-road.

Last edited by Anish88 : 4th September 2013 at 16:58.
Old 4th September 2013, 19:51   #596
BHPian

Quote:
So the break up is as follows:
===========
This is without Zero depreciation insurance. Basic thing is that it's on sale for 9.99 lacs on-road.
Thank you Anish88, this is a real mouthwatering offer which I cant afford to miss, unfortunately Bangalore Metro Ford's cost is 2.5 Lakh above this quote.
Nevertheless I'm planning to try my luck with Cauvery or Lathangi Ford. By the way what was your dealer name and location?
treadmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2013, 21:46   #597
BHPian

This particular quote is from Delhi Ford in Safdarjung Enclave, New Delhi.

I'm honestly stuck between getting this deal and waiting for them to slash prices for the 2013 model!
Old 6th September 2013, 11:56   #598
BHPian

Called MPL ford to know about the EcoSport Diesel waiting time and now they are saying 9 months for Titanium , Given that i am re-thinking the Verna, Vento & Rapid,

As i read in most of the posts which says the verna's highway handling is not good,

I like to understand whether it is because of the softer suspension / The Protruding lines for fluidic designs which makes the car wallowy

My wife and I liked the verna comparing other two in terms of interiors.

After heard about the 18k service cost for my brothers Polo 1.6 i felt maintaining the German cars would take more (even if i calculate for 1 service per 10k propitiation)

Rapid, I liked it and the interiors are same as in vento, and the Service is not good so far

Dear BHPians, help me whether i can go for Verna. most of the verna owners saying that verna is good in highway too.

I normally drive atleast 18k per year which includes highway around 40 ~ 50 % @ 120 or more kmph speed.
trtraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2013, 13:59   #599
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
Thank you Anish88, this is a real mouthwatering offer which I cant afford to miss, unfortunately Bangalore Metro Ford's cost is 2.5 Lakh above this quote.
Nevertheless I'm planning to try my luck with Cauvery or Lathangi Ford.
I would suggest you to talk to Cauvery/Lathangi and tell them that Metro is offering a CASH discount of 1.12L on road + Corporate Discount(If you work for MNC). You should get some more discount from Cauvery or lathangi .

This cash discount offer of 1.12L is fixed by Ford India. But some dealers will push you to buy accessories worth 50K. Dont listen to them. Check your car thoroughly if you finalize. Also every dealer has one or two colour options for 2012 models.
djay99 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2013, 18:56   #600
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trtraj View Post
As i read in most of the posts which says the verna's highway handling is not good,
I like to understand whether it is because of the softer suspension / The Protruding lines for fluidic designs which makes the car wallowy

My wife and I liked the verna comparing other two in terms of interiors.

After heard about the 18k service cost for my brothers Polo 1.6 i felt maintaining the German cars would take more (even if i calculate for 1 service per 10k propitiation)

Rapid, I liked it and the interiors are same as in vento, and the Service is not good so far

Dear BHPians, help me whether i can go for Verna. most of the verna owners saying that verna is good in highway too.

I normally drive atleast 18k per year which includes highway around 40 ~ 50 % @ 120 or more kmph speed.
Yes,the Verna's ride and handling is pretty bad compared to other cars in the segment,add to that the lifeless steering which is typical of most Hyundais does not make it an ideal Highway Cruiser.
It is due to the softly sprung suspension and not due to some protruding fluidic lines etc.
I recommend you take an extensive test drive of the Verna on an open road to see if the ride bothers you or not although considering your usage Vento Makes more sense.
You could look at the Linea or Fiesta if you are concerned about the servicing costs of VWs.These two are among the best cars for the highways in the segment.

Last edited by Marauder : 6th September 2013 at 18:58.
Marauder is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote