Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 6th September 2013, 19:57   #601
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trtraj View Post
After heard about the 18k service cost for my brothers Polo 1.6 i felt maintaining the German cars would take more (even if i calculate for 1 service per 10k propitiation)
Service intervals are 15 , 000 km. Compare that to 5000 km intervals for Swift. Just a bit more expensive, but it's from a higher segment.
sunsetorange is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2013, 19:07   #602
BHPian

Default Re: Which Diesel car for ~10 Lakh? Vento vs Verna vs Rapid vs Fiesta vs Linea vs Othe

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Any reason why the Skoda Rapid TDI doesn't figure on your list? Peppy engine with quick acceleration, excellent city driveability, very decent mileage & great highway cruiser capabilities. And a large boot!

I'm a very satisfied owner
Precisely my point too. Even though I do not own a Skoda Rapid, I have driven one extensively and absolutely loved it. Better NVH levels as compared to the Vento any day.
The only grouse which some people might have is that the interiors on the Vento are a shade better than the Rapid.
And buying a rapid now could get one a rather sweet deal.
For a petrol Vento V Rapid head-to-head, I think the latter wins hands down. The petrol engine on the Rapid runs a better state of tune IMO.
Baddychat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2013, 11:23   #603
BHPian

Default Re: Which Diesel car for ~10 Lakh? Vento vs Verna vs Rapid vs Fiesta vs Linea vs Othe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddychat View Post
Even though I do not own a Skoda Rapid, I have driven one extensively and absolutely loved it. Better NVH levels as compared to the Vento any day.
The only grouse which some people might have is that the interiors on the Vento are a shade better than the Rapid.
And buying a rapid now could get one a rather sweet deal.
I have doubts about your observation on the NHV issue.
Initially the Vento had some NHV issues but presently it has been taken care off. You need to take back-to-back TD of both the cars to compare.
Sommos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2013, 13:37   #604
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trtraj View Post
Called MPL ford to know about the EcoSport Diesel waiting time and now they are saying 9 months for Titanium , Given that i am re-thinking the Verna, Vento & Rapid,

As i read in most of the posts which says the verna's highway handling is not good,

I like to understand whether it is because of the softer suspension / The Protruding lines for fluidic designs which makes the car wallowy

My wife and I liked the verna comparing other two in terms of interiors.

After heard about the 18k service cost for my brothers Polo 1.6 i felt maintaining the German cars would take more (even if i calculate for 1 service per 10k propitiation)

Rapid, I liked it and the interiors are same as in vento, and the Service is not good so far

Dear BHPians, help me whether i can go for Verna. most of the verna owners saying that verna is good in highway too.

I normally drive atleast 18k per year which includes highway around 40 ~ 50 % @ 120 or more kmph speed.
Stay away from the Verna if you drive about 9k kms per year on the highway and if you are a spirited driver. The Verna's highway manners are poor.

Have you considered the new Fiesta diesel? The engine specs may not be as good as the Verna's, but the handling and dynamics will more than make up for it. If not Fiesta, then the Rapid/ Vento should be other good options.

Reg 18K for Polo service, I doubt if its just for regular service. There must be some major replacements like brake pads, discs, etc....

Regular service for my Laura costs about 9k. If you consider the interval of 15k kms , its not that high.
Santoshbhat is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2013, 17:01   #605
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
I have doubts about your observation on the NHV issue.
Initially the Vento had some NHV issues but presently it has been taken care off. You need to take back-to-back TD of both the cars to compare.
Even if the Vento has caught up with the Rapid in terms of in-cabin noise insulation levels, the price difference is lucrative enough to make me lean towards the Rapid any day.
I have always felt the ride quality on the Rapid to be better, again it is a very relative parameter and so are the looks.
Old 21st September 2013, 12:24   #606
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddychat View Post
Even if the Vento has caught up with the Rapid in terms of in-cabin noise insulation levels, the price difference is lucrative enough to make me lean towards the Rapid any day.
I have always felt the ride quality on the Rapid to be better, again it is a very relative parameter and so are the looks.
With full respect to your opinion on the Rapid, I have never made any comment on any aspect of the car other than the NHV. I just wanted to confirm whether the Vento is inferior to the Rapid (as you commented) as far as NHV is concerned.
Sommos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2013, 20:51   #607
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
With full respect to your opinion on the Rapid, I have never made any comment on any aspect of the car other than the NHV. I just wanted to confirm whether the Vento is inferior to the Rapid (as you commented) as far as NHV is concerned.
There was no intent of taking sides on this . I said that the when I last drove the Vento against the Rapid which I get to drive once in a while, I thought that the Rapid had better insulation levels. I may be wrong wrt the current Vento where they may have fixed the insulation issues(again relative and probably based on customer feedback).
The rest of what i said was a scenario where I said that if I am stuck in deciding between the two of them, I might go for the Rapid based on the reasons mentioned above.
Old 2nd October 2013, 15:31   #608
BHPian

BHPians, a friend of mine has narrowed down on these 4 diesels : Vento,Rapid,Amaze,Verna.

Majority of the drive will be on highways so I asked him to strike Verna off the list.
Next the amaze is dismissed because of low equipment levels as compared to others.

So it boils down to Vento and the Rapid. And he is also inclined towards the German stable.
Which way should he go ? I suggest the Rapid, but should he go with the parent company(VW) instead ?

Thank You'll in advance!

-Bhargav
Octane_Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2013, 17:58   #609
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
So it boils down to Vento and the Rapid. And he is also inclined towards the German stable.
Which way should he go ? I suggest the Rapid, but should he go with the parent company(VW) instead ?
There is not much difference between the two as they are the same cars underneath.The VW has some extra equipment whereas the Skoda is a tad bit cheaper.It really boils down to personal preference,he could may be look at the distance between his home and service centre as a deciding factor.
Also,with all the discounts and packages offered by companies these days,he could look at the manufacturer that gives him the better deal.

Last edited by Marauder : 2nd October 2013 at 17:59.
Marauder is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2013, 18:13   #610
BHPian

I think the back seat is also more spacious in the rapid.

There were suspicions that the seat angle is different between the two.

Boot space has been sacrificed as a result.

New elegance trim makes a lot of sense with the five years package including maintenance. :-)
Diesel_convert is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2013, 23:23   #611
BHPian

While I was in a similar dilemma a couple of months back, one visit to each of the showrooms easily solved the problem. Having narrowed down on Rapid and Vento (ruled out Verna because the dual airbag, abs version seemed priced at a point not justified in comparison to the Ra-Ven sisters and during the TD, I couldn't "connect" to the vehicle, if you know what I mean)

May be I was prejudiced already after reading all the reviews but visiting the Skoda showroom reassured that not much was far from truth. I was offered a brochure, no TD vehicle and intriguing was the way the sales guy thought it wasn't much point speaking to me about the VRS or the Yeti.. Still I kept asking for a TD and the choice of red color .

The VW experience was a slightly bit different and I liked the fact that the sales guy took the trouble to demonstrate with the TD vehicle that the it could indeed fit into my garage and easily. Also liked the fact that the sales guy was quite upfront that meddling with the alloys or the music system would mean loss of warranty. He didnt want to close a sale on false promises. He didn't have any qualms about admitting that the service cost would be higher though politely justified it with the service interval.

The last bit was the VW sales manager who turned out to be Team-bhp aficionado and left me tempted to put pen to paper, though not before being offered a pretty good deal. The VW manager also ensured that some goof up with the delivery date was immediately looked, once I emailed him.

With that said, Skoda seems to be on seeking redemption! as mentioned by
[quote=Diesel_convert;3254696], the 5 year package is a sweet deal.

Both Vento and Rapid suffer an identity crisis since they both look similar to their younger siblings (Polo and Fabia) from the front and if you very badly need a reason to choose Rapid over Vento, you can always claim to your nosy neighbor that Vento does not come in red (at least these days) .
Kris_risk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2013, 21:52   #612
BHPian

Default 2014- The Year of the "C2" segment sedan

I am an owner of a suzuki swift VDi that has completed close to 60k kms, pretty happy i had been with the car but for the last 10k kms when the car started developing squeaks and rattles here and there. Been in and out of the service station and resigned to the fate that its maruti afterall, and i cant expect the build quality to last for 1 lac kms without niggles. Add to it, the fact that i travelled in my friends A4 for close to 300 kms and i decided i need to upgrade to a sedan ( or something that offers me comfort close to it)!! drove everything from the jetta, passat to the polo GT TSI. My friend suggested an upgrade to the Laura, and so i went to the skoda showroom a few days later and fell in love with the 2.0 ltr dsg that i decided to go for it. A long walk and a few hours of purposeful conversations (with my wife ) later, i decided to think of something lesser than a D1, and thus began my hunt for the "perfect C2". I bumped into team-bhp, and then read a lot of threads and realised the mistakes i made :

1. Never had a budget in mind- big big mistake
2. Never decided on the segment and my specific needs.
3. Never decided on whether i need the comfort and luxury of a sedan against practicality of a hatch.
4. Never knew of team-bhp

and then i started to think as to what i really want, it is what all my Swift gives me plus an upgrade on what i dislike about it. hence, team-bhp style :

what i want and cannot compromise upon :

1. Good engine, definitely torquey with a good midrange. Can do with a turbo charged petrol too.
2. Highway dynamics must be great. I definitely want to cruise at 120 kms without any ill-mannered sways and the ride must be confident inspiring, in other words, good suspension setup is must. I dont drive beyond 120 kms though
3. Quality interiors and very low NVH levels.
4. Excellent Brakes.
5. Build quality must be spot on. I cant do with the infamous maruti rattles after 50k kms.
6. Steering mounted controls and automatic climate control

what i can compromise on.

1. Petrol or diesel doesnt matter
2. A few gizmos inside
3. Boot space, and in effect a hatch/ sedan both are welcome.
4. Rear seat space/ comfort, since it is mostly myself and my wife who would be using the car.
5. Service (otherwise i cannot look beyond hyundai and maruti)

Now with a clear strategy i went through my TD session 2, and i found these cars to my liking in the order of my preference. Since most of these cars are on for a major makeover next year i felt it would be a good idea to start a thread, and discuss aout the pros and cons with fellow sedan seekers.

1. Fiat Linea.

drove the MJD and the T-jet.

what i liked
1. build quality ( stunning ) - double tick
2. engine ( mjd is the same as my swift) - tick
3. Brakes - double tick
4. Looks - drool and double tick
5. suspension and highway dynamics- good, not great.

what broke the deal :

1. Interior quality, fit and finish ( deal breaker!!!!) maybe the fact that i drove the linea after i TD'ed the Verna broke the deal, anyways my wife was dead against buying a car without a bottle holder!! 5 years in a swift which can hold only half litre bottles would drive anyone mad.
2. Dealer mentioning casually to his colleague that the 1.6MJD is on its way in a few months

What i expect from the Linea 2014

1. all mentioned in "likes"
2. better quality interiors (with a bottle holder, please)
3. 1.6 Ltr MJD engine with 290nm torque- drool (MJD2? gives 320 nm)
4. better quality interiors
5. bottle holder

http://www.cartoq.com/fiat-may-launc...diesel-engine/

2. Skoda Rapid

what i liked

1. jack of all trades with VFM pricing.

deal breaker ?? not as yet, as i am still contemplating. but just the fact that they may replace it with the euro rapid adding a few gizmos and stuff makes me wonder if its worth going for it right now( There was no steering mounted controls).

what i expect

1. steering controls
2. better NVH levels

http://http://whichcars.in/european-...da-india-2014/

or could this be the new laura?? i guess not.

3. volkswagen vento

likes?

1. Torquey engine = drool
2. Strong suspension.
3. Fit and finish

dislikes
1. NVH levels = deal breaker

what i expect

1. just a calmer, quieter engine plus retaining all the other features

(couldnt get a proper link but it is well known that vento is coming with a 1.5 ltr engine next year )

4. Hyundai verna

1. styling
2. interiors
3. refined engine
4. gizmos

dislikes :

1. Suspension = deal breaker. never confidence inspiring in the highway

not due for a makeover, but read in a few sites that they have tuned the suspension to make it more stiffer, yet my friend who bought a verna 3 weeks back still regrets on his decision after a 200 km ECR cruise. the people in the backseat had complained of an uncomfortale ride. another reason why a good TD is of utmost importance. what is acceptable for others might not be good for us.

5. Maruti SX4

likes ??

1. space and comfort
2. tried and tested engine
3. maruti ASS

dislikes

1. another maruti?? sigh!! after nearly 20 years of owning an 800, alto, baleno and swift, i need a change.
2. no drool factor!

what i expect?

1. Drool factor. i dont mind going for my 5th maruti if it is appealing.
2. better quality interiors for sure.
3. No rattles and squeaks on long term ownership

http://http://www.motoroids.com/news...sting-gurgaon/

Honda City

likes and dislikes?

I did not test the car and hence cant comment. but have nevertheless provided the link to know more about its successor

http://http://www.motorbeam.com/cars...ngine-in-2014/

phew!! few weeks and extensive TD's later, i decided to wait for 6 more months and get a better deal. hope it turns out to be a good decision. any sedan seekers are welcome to share their views.

with these 5 cars due for a makeover, 2014 will be a buyers year. cheers!
dr.surgeon1985 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2013, 23:02   #613
BHPian

Default Re: 2014- The Year of the "C2" segment sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.surgeon1985 View Post
what i want and cannot compromise upon :

1. Good engine, definitely torquey with a good midrange. Can do with a turbo charged petrol too.
2. Highway dynamics must be great. I definitely want to cruise at 120 kms without any ill-mannered sways and the ride must be confident inspiring, in other words, good suspension setup is must. I dont drive beyond 120 kms though
3. Quality interiors and very low NVH levels.
4. Excellent Brakes.
5. Build quality must be spot on. I cant do with the infamous maruti rattles after 50k kms.
6. Steering mounted controls and automatic climate control

what i can compromise on.

1. Petrol or diesel doesnt matter
2. A few gizmos inside
3. Boot space, and in effect a hatch/ sedan both are welcome.
4. Rear seat space/ comfort, since it is mostly myself and my wife who would be using the car.
5. Service (otherwise i cannot look beyond hyundai and maruti)

Some cars that come to my mind that tick most of your requirements are

1.] Fiesta -- It has excellent handling, good build-quality and excellent NVH, ok performance, but interiors are average. You might want to wait for the facelift.

2.] Vento/Rapid - Meets most of your requirements except NVH. The rapid is better tuned from a suspension point of view and probably NVH too, but still the NVH is no where near fiesta's. Oh wait, Rapid doesn't have steering controls, but I expect Skoda to give it with the facelift which might come in 2014.

3.] Since you are ok with a hatch, you might also want to check out the Polo GT Tdi/Tsi. The Tdi might not have the NVH you are looking for, but the TSi with DSG would probably be close to your requirements.
shivasuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2013, 08:26   #614
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post

1.] Fiesta -- It has excellent handling, good build-quality and excellent NVH, ok performance, but interiors are average. You might want to wait for the facelift.

3.] Since you are ok with a hatch, you might also want to check out the Polo GT Tdi/Tsi. The Tdi might not have the NVH you are looking for, but the TSi with DSG would probably be close to your requirements.
Drove the polo gt tsi, stunner it was. But those options ahead of me in 6 months time makes me wonder if its worth waiting.

Fiesta I never tried cause I didnt like the looks as well as the interiors. It looked kinda too flashy. Plus overpriced.
dr.surgeon1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2013, 08:46   #615
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post

2.] Vento/Rapid - Meets most of your requirements except NVH. The rapid is better tuned from a suspension point of view and probably NVH too, but still the NVH is no where near fiesta's. Oh wait, Rapid doesn't have steering controls, but I expect Skoda to give it with the facelift which might come in 2014.
Rapid will come with steering controls. Recently i visited volkswagen plant and saw rapid on the production line with steering controls and projector headlights.
tushky is offline   Reply With Quote