Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 26th October 2013, 16:46   #631
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prash View Post
One of the main thing (apart from others as well) for which i called off changing the car was that I felt Vento and Rapids clutch too springy. I mean they were not only much hard than the Linea that i drive but also the reverse action (de-pressing) was very springy in nature. It was forcing my foot out. I am sure in Mumbai's bumper to bumper traffic it will be very difficult for at least me to keep that clutch of Rapid or Vento in pressed position. Has anybody noticed this in the Rapid and Vento, is this a problem and if this is a problem can anything be done to resolve it? Aren't Skoda and VW aware of this?
I have been using the Vento since May'13. I usually use the Figo for the daily hospital routine ( I am a consultant in 6 hospitals).Occasionally I use the Vento tdi too. I found the clutch a bit heavy too, but the engine is sooo tractable that a couple of times I went over speed breakers in 3rd gear! The frequency of gear changes goes down in comparison to the Swift Vdi (2008) ,my previous car. Well , if it is any comfort, my left thigh appears more muscular now! ;-)
sunsetorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2013, 17:05   #632
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Which Diesel car for ~10 Lakh? Vento vs Verna vs Rapid vs Fiesta vs Linea vs Othe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prash View Post
Has anybody noticed this in the Rapid and Vento, is this a problem and if this is a problem can anything be done to resolve it? Aren't Skoda and VW aware of this?
You really don't use a horse for fetching logs from the woods. Nothing offensive to anybody, but the VAG sisters are more meant for burning rubber on the highway than burning the clutch inside the city.

Apart, a City or a Verna does a better job for your knees, if your driving is mostly inside the city. Or else you can look at the sub 4m sedans for saving some car real estate too.

From my personal experience with the Vento in bumper to bumper traffic, I have to admit that knee hurts in longer queues.
thoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2013, 17:40   #633
BHPian

Default Re: Which Diesel car for ~10 Lakh? Vento vs Verna vs Rapid vs Fiesta vs Linea vs Othe

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
You really don't use a horse for fetching logs from the woods. Nothing offensive to anybody, but the VAG sisters are more meant for burning rubber on the highway than burning the clutch inside the city.

Apart, a City or a Verna does a better job for your knees, if your driving is mostly inside the city. Or else you can look at the sub 4m sedans for saving some car real estate too.

From my personal experience with the Vento in bumper to bumper traffic, I have to admit that knee hurts in longer queues.
I use a Linea, as i have mentioned and I am more than happy with the car. Though i change my car every 3-4 years I am somehow not being able to get a replacement of Linea in the price bracket of 10-12 Lakhs. My running is both city and lot of highway.
My point was, cant these automobile giants take a cue and do something about their clutch. In fact we recently bought a Ford ecosport in family only for the sole reason that the clutch of Rapid and Vento too hard. Anyways, I am so fan of Linea i will probably change it when the new Linea arrives.
Prash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2013, 22:40   #634
BHPian

This might be partially off-topic since my confusion is between a petrol and diesel car.
Monthly running 800KM approx.

I am planning to upgrade form my 7 year old palio 1.2 as it is beginning to ask from some serious attention and maintenance and Fiat service in hyderabad requires exceptional patience, endurance and time which I don't have as of now. This time I am looking for a reliable car(< 10 L) which doesn't require extra effort from my side for maintenance except money hence I am not even considering manufacturers which have just 1 or 2 dealers(and service stations) in the city.

I test drove SX4(petrol) and loved its unapologetic extra large dimensions and the way it dismissed uneven roads and potholes, the high seating and the way engine responded beyond 3K rpm. With all the discounts its costing 9.37L OTR.

Also test drove Fiesta(new one) diesel. It had excellent interiors, awesome pull after 1500 rpm, fabulous discount ,however from the driver's seat it doesn't feel that I am driving anything bigger than Palio. Standing outside it looks like just another car. I was able to feel all the imperfections of the road in the back seat. Its costing 9.67 L on road for Style variant after 1.5 L discount.

I know with the prices quoted above and from general arithmetic of fuel cost, its a no brainer that I should go for diesel Fiesta but somehow I am not able to get my eyes off SX4.
What do you experts suggest?
huntrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2013, 22:52   #635
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntrz View Post

I know with the prices quoted above and from general arithmetic of fuel cost, its a no brainer that I should go for diesel Fiesta but somehow I am not able to get my eyes off SX4.
Neither model is selling well, unless you have specific reasons to limit your choice.

I suggest you decide on petrol vs diesel first. If petrol, then you might like to consider the Honda City and the Linea TJet. Please bear in mind that SX4 petrol is barely selling and might be pulled off the shelves in a couple of years. And if you're not bothered about that, then TD the Fiesta Classic petrol too. Only advantage with SX4 is that it has better G.C. And please bear in mind that driving above 3000 rpm in city limits is a very rare possibility, unless you use the ORR.

If you decide on a diesel, then there are many cars like Vento, Rapid, Ecosport, Verna etc that might be better than the new Fiesta.

Best of luck to you!
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2013, 23:46   #636
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Neither model is selling well, unless you have specific reasons to limit your choice.

I suggest you decide on petrol vs diesel first. If petrol, then you might like to consider the Honda City and the Linea TJet. Please bear in mind that SX4 petrol is barely selling and might be pulled off the shelves in a couple of years. And if you're not bothered about that, then TD the Fiesta Classic petrol too. Only advantage with SX4 is that it has better G.C. And please bear in mind that driving above 3000 rpm in city limits is a very rare possibility, unless you use the ORR.

If you decide on a diesel, then there are many cars like Vento, Rapid, Ecosport, Verna etc that might be better than the new Fiesta.

Best of luck to you!
Thanks Venu. None of the 20 top selling cars as listed in September car sales thread really excite me.
Hence I am looking for cars that I feel are really good and come with decent backup from their manufacturers.
Actually I visited the Ford showroom for buying the Classic pertol only but wifey didn't quite like its interiors when compared to the All new Fiesta.
Skoda and Volkwagen are again single/double dealer manufacturers and I don't want to get ripped off by them after buying. In the price list of Vento itself the insurance premium was about 15K higher than what was quoted on Bajaj Allianz site. 11K for handling charges. These cheap tactics really put me off. Can't wait 6 months for Ecosoprt either.
After owning Palio, buying another Fiat is out of question. Honda city will start selling from Jan 2014 only. I may not be able to wait that long.

Last edited by huntrz : 27th October 2013 at 23:47.
Old 28th October 2013, 00:16   #637
BHPian

If you can live with the marred brand image, try the linea as it has the lightest clutch in this segment.
VW group cars i have driven (rapid / vento / old octavia) are known for hard and vibrating clutch in their diesel avatars.

I have the Honda City ivtec and the punto and although city has a light clutch but punto's is even lighter.

The other advantages of a Fiat have already been spoken about by various people in this forum so i dont need to add anything else here about the Italian beauty.
namit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2013, 07:23   #638
BHPian

Considering your rigid criteria, would suggest you to take a TD of Fluidic Verna 1.6 EX. Its OTR is approx. 9.6 lacs and you have some discounts running in it. Its a decent engine, no great punch but I think its good for sedate city commutes .You can "fill it, shut it and forget it". An i20 Crdi is also a great deal , if you ain't particular about a sedan. IMHO fiesta classic is outdated in all sense and has the infamous "ford maintenance" tag that you must consider, while SX4 is going for a big facelift in 4-5 months' time.

Considering you can opt only for Hyundai or Maruti( servixe issues), a 6 month wait can fetch you a good deal as a YL1 sedan would be in the fray, but hey I know how difficult it is to wait for that long to get a car once we've made our mind !!
dr.surgeon1985 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2013, 10:27   #639
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After owning Palio, buying another Fiat is out of question. Honda city will start selling from Jan 2014 only. I may not be able to wait that long.
You barely have a couple of months to wait, as we are at the end of October now. When you are making a huge investment, may I suggest you wait and check after a couple of months? Even waiting for 6 months is fine, instead of being stuck with a car that you bought with a compromise.

Ford service in Hyderabad is very decent, and miles ahead of Fiat. I own two Fords, so don't get deterred by comments saying it is 'infamous'. I rate it on par with Maruti.

I'd always recommend a recent model, and not an outdated one like Fiesta Classic or SX4.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2013, 12:05   #640
BHPian

Quote:
You barely have a couple of months to wait, as we are at the end of October now. When you are making a huge investment, may I suggest you wait and check after a couple of months?
I'd always recommend a recent model, and not an outdated one like Fiesta Classic or SX4.
Its not that I am impatient but I will have to spend atleast 20K-25K immediately on the car in order to be able to wait another 6 months which I don't think is worth it given its resale value and unreliability due to the age other cropping issues. Currently I am not driving it for the fear of breakdown due to completely worn out clutch plate.

Quote:
Ford service in Hyderabad is very decent, and miles ahead of Fiat. I own two Fords, so don't get deterred by comments saying it is 'infamous'. I rate it on par with Maruti.
Thanks it is very reassuring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.surgeon1985 View Post
Considering your rigid criteria, would suggest you to take a TD of Fluidic Verna 1.6 EX.
I know how difficult it is to wait for that long to get a car once we've made our mind !!
Yes the criteria is indeed very rigid.
Absolutely, the right time for buying any car is the moment one makes up his/her mind. There are always some or the other pending launches. These launches come with their own set of problems in booking and delivery as we have seen in the case of Duster, Amaze and Ecosport. I am not interested in "pulling strings"(for TD delivery or whatever) since I am an ordinary guy with no contacts whatsoever. Not really a hyundai fan but will give it a try.
Old 28th October 2013, 13:16   #641
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I test drove SX4(petrol) and loved its unapologetic extra large dimensions and the way it dismissed uneven roads and potholes, the high seating and the way engine responded beyond 3K rpm. With all the discounts its costing 9.37L OTR.

I drive an SX4 petrol. As you mentioned, I love the look and stance of it. None of the recent launches have excited me the way the SX4 does ( from looks perspective). But would like to point out a few negatives which are slowly becoming major concerns for me
  • The interior space does not reflect the external dimensions. It is not as spacious as one would expect when viewing from outside (I mean this compared to other similar sedans)
  • The steering is pretty heavy at parking speeds. Becomes a bother during parking in congested places and also when we need to maneuver in heavy traffic at slow speeds
  • The mileage is poor. In the city I rarely get above 10 consistently.
  • In addition as other members have mentioned, the Petrol SX4 has very poor sales and considering that the replacement will be out next year, if you buy this, within a year your car becomes the older generation.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2013, 11:20   #642
BHPian

I see that people have already asked questions similar to mine; so apologies for the repetition but I am seeking answers to my precise requirements. Additional apologies for the lengthy post.

I intend to purchase a diesel car in the Rs 9-12 lakh range. This would be my first vehicle purchase in India having recently returned home.

Usage: I will be using the car both for city driving and highways (intend to take the vehicle on 500-100km trips when I can). In the city I will be chauffeur driven but will drive myself on highway trips up to the Uttaranchal mountains, or to Rajasthan.

My requirements are as follows:

Necessities: High safety, above average highway ride that best absorbs bumps and potholes (to the extent possible, I know this isn't an SUV), tank like build, rear seat comfort, fuel efficiency, reasonable power on the highways,

Important: Low NVH, front seat driving comfort

Not so important: Interior 'look and feel' (i.e. plush versus cheap) would be good to have but is not a deal killer. I am willing to roll the dice on ASS.

Not important: ICE, internal 'add -ons and features', external looks, ergonomics.

I understand that I will not get all of my key requirements in one car, but am searching for the best blend of all features.

An SUV would probably satisfy most of the above requirements; while my heart is captivated by a Skoda Yeti, practical considerations have meant that my wife and I will both use the vehicle, and she prefers a sedan.

Vehicles out of my consideration list, but can re-think based on advice: Not willing to consider the SX4 because the vehicle just does not excite me (haven't driven it though). Honda Amaze feels too 'flimsy'. Toyota (Etios and the more expensive Corolla) feel lacking in the 'tank like' aspect that is a must have. I have read a lot about Verna's comparative disadvantage highway (on this site and elsewhere).

Nissan Sunny and Renault Scala - the dealers never get back after fixing a TD 3-4 times.

Have not considered Ford (hangover from quality perception issues I imbibed in the US, plus the wife does not like the brand) but it could be a thought. have not considered Tata Manza for quality perception issues, period!

I can change my mind on the above, if someone has advice to offer.

Current final list: I have narrowed down my list to the following diesel cars: Vento, Rapid and Linea.

I have TDed a (2nd hand) petrol Vento for a few kilometers, but the steering wheel felt 'light to handle'.

I will be TDing the Linea and Skoda soon.

What would be your advice? Thank you forummers!
C'estlavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2013, 12:16   #643
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C'estlavie View Post
Current final list: I have narrowed down my list to the following diesel cars: Vento, Rapid and Linea.

I have TDed a (2nd hand) petrol Vento for a few kilometers, but the steering wheel felt 'light to handle'.

I will be TDing the Linea and Skoda soon.

What would be your advice? Thank you forummers!
Vento/Rapid: You will get used to the steering wheel. I alternate between Vento and Cruze and I have no issues with adjusting to both. Noise levels will be a problem once you cross 110-120 kmph. After Sales service may or may not be a problem. BHPians in Delhi will be able to advise you on that. These two cars will meet your other requirements

Linea: There is a new model with 1.6MJD expected sometime next year. I suggest you wait for that!!

I would have suggested a rethink on the Fiesta but there is a refresh on the cards soon.

If you can wait, you will have more options next year- new City, Fiesta, Linea and probably an upgraded Vento with projectors(my guess)
KINI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2013, 12:20   #644
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C'estlavie View Post
My requirements are as follows:

Necessities: High safety, above average highway ride that best absorbs bumps and potholes (to the extent possible, I know this isn't an SUV), tank like build, rear seat comfort, fuel efficiency, reasonable power on the highways,

Important: Low NVH, front seat driving comfort

Not so important: Interior 'look and feel' (i.e. plush versus cheap) would be good to have but is not a deal killer. I am willing to roll the dice on ASS.

Not important: ICE, internal 'add -ons and features', external looks, ergonomics.
Based on the above parameters, you look like a "tailor made" Linea customer.

All three cars on your final list should reasonably satisfy you. But the Linea meets all your "Neccesities" as well as "Important" factors, and all its foibles are "Not so important" and "Not important" factors.

The only question is choice between the existing Linea or new Linea that is expected to be launched in 1st quarter of 2014, assuming you are willing to wait.

The advantages of present Linea:

1. Ground Clearance, important if you think you will be taking her out on the mountain roads.
2. Slightly better looks. But as you have said external looks are not that important to you, so even the new Linea wont be much of a issue for you.

On the other hand, the new Linea will probably come with the more powerful 1.6MJD engine and also considerably improved interiors, and something you may find useful on the highways, "cruise control".
julupani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2013, 14:29   #645
BHPian

Thank you KINI and julupani for your detailed advice.

It looks like narrowing down to the Linea, however:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINI View Post
Linea: There is a new model with 1.6MJD expected sometime next year. I suggest you wait for that!!
I may not have time to wait that long as I will soon find myself in a new city without any car (thus far I have been using my sister's second car in Delhi).

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
............The advantages of present Linea:

1. Ground Clearance, important if you think you will be taking her out on the mountain roads...............
My question is which is more important to ride quality: Higher ground clearance (GC) but lower powered engine in the present Linea versus the presumably lower GC and higher powered engine of the 2014 Linea?

FYI I am one of those ultra cautious drivers who hesitate to take my vehicle beyond 80kmph and don't intend to do 90 kmph on Indian roads at any time, anywhere.
C'estlavie is offline   Reply With Quote