Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 1st November 2013, 16:52   #646
BHPian

Default Re: Which Diesel car for ~10 Lakh? Vento vs Verna vs Rapid vs Fiesta vs Linea vs Othe

Quote:
Originally Posted by C'estlavie View Post
My question is which is more important to ride quality: Higher ground clearance (GC) but lower powered engine in the present Linea versus the presumably lower GC and higher powered engine of the 2014 Linea?

FYI I am one of those ultra cautious drivers who hesitate to take my vehicle beyond 80kmph and don't intend to do 90 kmph on Indian roads at any time, anywhere.
You'll probably do just fine with the 1.3L Linea then.

Higher powered engines allows one to cruise around at higher speeds at less strenuous RPMs. The 1.3 is capable for doing that for speeds of 80-90kmph.

The higher GC helps in cases where you can just glide over slightly bad roads while a lower GC'd car can be seen slowing down almost completely allowing the suspension time to absorb (and move the car about a bit). You can improve the ride by choosing tyres with larger side profiles too.
nareshov is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2013, 12:39   #647
BHPian

Default Re: Which Diesel car for ~10 Lakh? Vento vs Verna vs Rapid vs Fiesta vs Linea vs Othe

Does it make sense to go with a Diesel if the monthly driving is around 400 kms (city traffic)? I did a test drive of both the variants (Vento) and the Diesel was much more fun to drive (if you can ignore the engine noise). The difference in price at this point is not an issue.

I am more concerned about how the Diesel engine would fare if I do not use the car every day. I'll be using it only like 4 days in a week.
psynaps3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2013, 16:18   #648
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psynaps3 View Post
Does it make sense to go with a Diesel if the monthly driving is around 400 kms (city traffic)? I did a test drive of both the variants (Vento) and the Diesel was much more fun to drive (if you can ignore the engine noise). The difference in price at this point is not an issue.

I am more concerned about how the Diesel engine would fare if I do not use the car every day. I'll be using it only like 4 days in a week.
I don't think using it only 4 days a week would be an issue as such.
However, what is more important is how long a drive you would be undertaking those 4 days. A diesel engine takes longer to warm up as compared to a petrol, so if you would be doing short drives, a petrol would be better.

Look at other options in petrols - like a Honda City, or such.
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2013, 18:06   #649
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you can drive the car for 20-30 kms when you drive then the engine should be fine, driving 4 days a week wont be an issue.

Since your running is less, why dont you have a test drive of Vento TSi? Its smooth, refined and gives the convenience of automatic, want to have fun - flick it to sports or tiptronic mode. Its nice fun machine which doubles as your commuter car too, would be a petrol so doesnt matter if you drive 4 days a week or 2.

If you are sold on the build quality of Vento, you wont be satisfied with Honda City.
coolboy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2013, 19:09   #650
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

i would say stick to petrol as you would not use the car much. But if you pan for long drives frequently then do go in for the diesel.

My opinion:

If Diesel: Vento
If Petrol: New City (my preference) else Vento TSI.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2013, 19:47   #651
BHPian

I did do a test drive of the Vento TSi. It was easy to drive around but not as fun and engaging as driving a manual.

Since I'll be taking the car in the coming week or two, the new Honda city is not an option.

I guess its going to be either the Rapid MY14 MPI (Elegance) or the Vento MY13 MPI (Highline). Will get to know the discounts for November on this coming Monday.
psynaps3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2013, 02:13   #652
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I guess its going to be either the Rapid MY14 MPI (Elegance) or the Vento MY13 MPI (Highline). Will get to know the discounts for November on this coming Monday.
Vento MPI it is.

And let me be the first to congratulate you for the car you choose.

All the best.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2013, 20:50   #653

Default Confused over Vento/Verna/Rapid

Hi all. This is my second post as I just joined 2 days back (been a silent reader for many years though). I am on a look out for a new car next year which would be in the family for a very long time. Hence my requirements:

1) Mileage : I travel daily minimum of 70Kms.
2) Safety : Air bags are strictly required. Apart from that any other feature is a boon.
3) Stability/Practicality : Hyderabad is infested with useless roads and so would like the car to be able to handle the potholed infested roads as well as decent speeds on the highways.
4) Boot space : Ladies have lots of luggage every time and everywhere.
5) Cabin space : can be a bit compromised.
5) Music : Current Accent has my own ICE set up and obviously can't compare to any of the stock set up. However I would be replacing only the speakers and would like to know if an Amp can be added to the stock HUD of the mentioned vehicles.

Test Drives:
Vento Highline:

I have submitted an online request for test drive and got a call promptly from the showroom inquiring when I would be free to do so. I asked for a weekend and as requested they came to Hyundai service center where I gave my car for servicing. Showroom guy was very polite and explained all the features etc etc. I took a test drive and found that the interior quality is top notch and so was the very responsive engine. No need to replace the whole dash incase of airbags replacement unlike in Verna. No stock rear view camera and electric folding mirrors which comes as standard features in Verna. No option of having a full black interior as beige gets dirty very soon. Cabin is airy and arm rest was very practical. Mileage as per the showroom guy is 16 to 18 in city and 20+ in highways. I am 6ft tall and after adjusting my driver's seat to my need I sat behind in the rear behind the driver's seat and found the legroom to be sufficiently decent. Not stong AC though.
Servicing : No free services and every service costs a min of 8K per 15000Kms.
Bottom line : Loved the car. Heart says go for it.

Verna Fluidic:
Test drove a friend's verna top second model which has only 2 air bags in the front. Felt the engine/drive a bit sluggish than vento. Good features like the Electric folding mirrors, Rear cam and storage spaces. Lesser rear leg room and interior Dash did not give me any excitement. However on paper it seems that Verna is a bit powerful than Vento if am not wrong and better mileage figures too.
Servicing : Every 10K Kms after free services.Have a friend there who is a service advisor who can really maintain my current car.
Bottom line : Loved the design/features/cheaper maintenance. Brain says go for it.

Skoda Rapid:
Driven one long time back and from what I can remember is a very powerful responsive engine and top notch interior quality. No idea regarding real time mileage figures.Scary after sales service stories and degrading parts. In my opinion its high maintenance.
Bottom line : Heart & Brain confused.

Note : The vento guy is giving me a discount which he assures that will be applicable even if I take the vehicle in April. Below is the break up,

Though the on road for highline model is 1247050/-(14%) they are selling it for 12% (have to find out exactly what's this % he is referring to) which comes approx to 1140000/-.
Discount - 45000/-
Exchange discount - 20000/-
Corporate discount - 10000/-
If i take a 2013 model in 2014 then flat 75000/- off
Standard Accessories cash back 18000/-
Totalling 168000/-

Really require your inputs in deciding weather to go for a Vento or Verna and to consider Rapid as an option or not.

Thank you.
Thejus_y393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2013, 14:39   #654
BHPian

Default Re: Confused over Vento/Verna/Rapid

I agree the vento is a top contender but there is a thread on this forum regarding the after sales service for Volkswagen

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...vw-bhopal.html (Blog on Terrible accidental repair experience at VW Bhopal)
Akshay.Hemmady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2013, 16:54   #655
BHPian

Question Which New Car under Rs. 10 Lacs?

Hello BHPians!

As the thread title directly says, I am in need of a New Car with a pretty-much fixed budget of Rs. 10 Lac On-Road Delhi. We are 4 members in the family and each one of us needs a car. My mother was driving an Alto Lxi since November 2009 and had clocked 17700 kms (at the time of sale). Since January 2013, the car started behaving badly and this period was the worst period of our ownership. Not going into the details of the problems, some were mechanical and some were self-caused. But, selling a car at just 16000 kms was not making sense, so we decided to continue with the Alto. I bought a Rapid AT recently and our Alto was banged by a Tata 407 driver, with no fault of ours. The car was parked outside our home at ~4 PM in July 2013 and a truck driver banged it badly from behind while reversing. In nervousness, the fellow reversed the truck further into our car and damaged the doors also. Then he vanished from the spot. Many locals who had gathered at the spot told us about the story, when we rushed outside on hearing some noise. I was really upset on seeing the car. The rear bumper had fallen off, rear windshield was shattered, there was a dent in the C-pillar, RHS rear door had been dented and scraped, rear hatch had been deformed (like when some plastic is burned). Cutting a long story short, the car came after repair work in some weeks and was left unused. Why? We felt very unsafe about driving in that car. And, Mom was stopped from driving that car. Plus, Mom didn't like going in the Alto for market/school runs due to its basically cheap-car image. My Dad thought it the best to sell the car and due to a vast number of friends and known-ones, we were able to sell the car within a week at a overwhelming price of Rs. 1.6 Lacs. This meant a car was needed for Mom to do her school/market runs (which comprised of 40% city driving) and the search began. After Diwali, I offered Mom to drive my car (which I know she liked) and get me another car!

So, after some discussion with the family, I am looking for a car now!

New/Old:
New

Price Range:
All the way from ~7 Lacs to ~10 Lacs On-Road Delhi. This is the maximum I/We can stretch.

Fuel:
Diesel (Don't know why but I felt limited/chained in the petrol Rapid)

Monthly Running:
Can vary from 700-1500 kms per month; which depends on any trips made. On an average, it is 1000 kms in a month on proper highways (30%), broken City roads (15%), cemented city roads (35%) and rest on non-existent roads (20%) which often have water-logged stretches.

Driven by:
Me 80% of the time

Driving style:
I drive at 30-40 kmph speeds with a light-foot (I don't over-rev and up-shift as early as possible) in the city and prefer to keep the speeds below 120 kmph on highways (with 80-90 kmph most of the time). I like quick acceleration instead of top speed and like to leave other cars in dust at traffic signals. I drive normally (without slowing down) at uneven/broken/gravel-filled roads but slow down at speed-breakers and large undulations. I slow down when entering turns and junctions and never rush through corners. I love SUV stance but don't want low fuel efficiency.

Must-have:
ABS, Power Windows, Power Steering, Electrically Adjustable ORVMs, Body Coloured Door handles and ORVMs, a decent Music system, Fog Lamps, Adequate space for 5 medium sized adults, Beige interiors

Not-so-important:
Big boot space, Airbags, Decent A.S.S., Rear AC vents, MID, Alloy wheels

Type:
Confused between Sedan/SUV/MUV/Crossover

I have not test-driven any car now and would love to hear from you all.
Pour in the inputs!

Last edited by Loud : 17th November 2013 at 16:57.
Loud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2013, 18:38   #656
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Which New Car under Rs. 10 Lacs?

Well the Linea T-Jet ought to do you well but then you did mention wanting a Diesel.
How about waiting for the new Honda City if budget permits? Though no one has seen it, I think it is safe for all of us to assume that it will once again set the benchmark in its segment. Even IF it doesn't, I'm sure it's worth waiting a couple of weeks to see.
If a driver's car isn't a must, the Sunny?

If you love SUVs, then why not try and buy an XUV500 W4 variant; Mahindra is taking their flagship quite seriously. They are proud of it and have been responding well to all the niggles that are reported. With almost all issues ironed out, the unnecessary gimmicks chucked, the W4 variant, I believe is the most well packaged base variant of any Indian car around
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2013, 18:40   #657
Senior - BHPian

Try Linea, ecosport(if you can wait for one), polo gt tdi. Linea has some good discounts running on it, my brother picked up a Linea mjd emotion, last month for discount well above 1 lakh, 1.30 lakhs to be precise. Since, you already have a rapid, buying a rapid or vento won't make sense. Gt tdi will please the enthusiastic in you, but space at rear is nothing to talk about, ecosport same thing, rear seat space issues.

I would say, test drive all of the above cars and choose one you find comfortable. My pick would be Linea, if resale is something you're not bothered about

Even you can look at suvs like duster and xuv, but with abs and airbags, they'll surpass your budget of 10l.

Last edited by sameerg001 : 17th November 2013 at 18:41.
sameerg001 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2013, 20:53   #658
Senior - BHPian

Renault Duster 85PS Diesel variant will be well under your budget. I would suggest Duster if you don't want to buy a sedan otherwise wait a little for the new Honda City diesel variant which though could cross the 10 lac mark but will be under 11 lakhs and that will be one heck of a car!
bluevolt is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2013, 21:00   #659
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Renault Duster 85PS Diesel variant will be well under your budget. I would suggest Duster if you don't want to buy a sedan otherwise wait a little for the new Honda City diesel variant which though could cross the 10 lac mark but will be under 11 lakhs and that will be one heck of a car!
Duster 85 with abs and airbags won't be in his budget.
sameerg001 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2013, 21:10   #660
BHPian

Take a test drive on the Toyota Etios . It's got most of what you want and the diesel is a hoot to drive!
Rgds
Ashok
ashphil is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote