Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 17th November 2013, 23:25   #661
BHPian

Default Re: Which New Car under Rs. 10 Lacs?

ford fiesta Classic actually fits most of the criteria that you have set down. I know it is an older vehicle and is not a head turner or anything but it just happens to have all the things you want. It is a really comfortable car to drive and to be driven in.

Amaze diesel is another option although interiors looks cheap.

Hyundai i20 diesel is another option.
figo_mba is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2013, 23:56   #662
BHPian

IMO the car that best suits your requirement is Ecosport Diesel. Since your running will be 1000-1200 kms, going for diesel will be justified. Like you said that the car will be driven mostly by you and you drive (without slowing down) at uneven/broken/gravel-filled roads, so ecosport being a SUV, will handle the uneven surfaces without the chances of scraping the underbelly. The GC is very good for this car so there will be no problem on water-logged streets too. Also the ES is fun to drive, economical, very stylish and you don't have to worry every time you tank up.
auto_enthusiast is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2013, 00:52   #663
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud View Post

Driving style:
I drive at 30-40 kmph speeds with a light-foot (I don't over-rev and up-shift as early as possible) in the city and prefer to keep the speeds below 120 kmph on highways (with 80-90 kmph most of the time). I like quick acceleration instead of top speed and like to leave other cars in dust at traffic signals. I drive normally (without slowing down) at uneven/broken/gravel-filled roads but slow down at speed-breakers and large undulations. I slow down when entering turns and junctions and never rush through corners. I love SUV stance but don't want low fuel efficiency.

Type:
Confused between Sedan/SUV/MUV/Crossover

I have not test-driven any car now and would love to hear from you all.
Pour in the inputs!

Well your driving style needs a car with good handling and good pick up with some good amount of torque. Since it will be your personal car i will suggest you a hatch back. As a hatch is easier to drive, squeezing through heavy traffic will be easier and mostly importantly it can be parked in lesser space. According to me i would suggest you to take a test drive of two cars. One is the Punto 90hp and the other is the Polo Gt Tdi.

Polo will support you to zoom off the signal really fast where as Punto will offer you more comfortable ride if you dont not slow down on rough roads. So i would say test drive these two cars with your driving style before you decide on your car.

Plus if you can save a bit from your budget of 10 lacs, you can spend the rest on some good music system with amplifiers and woofers so you can justify your Tbhp handle 'LOUD' very well too.

Last edited by Samba : 18th November 2013 at 00:57.
Samba is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2013, 01:33   #664
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Confused over Vento/Verna/Rapid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thejus_y393 View Post
Note : The vento guy is giving me a discount which he assures that will be applicable even if I take the vehicle in April. Below is the break up,

Though the on road for highline model is 1247050/-(14%) they are selling it for 12% (have to find out exactly what's this % he is referring to) which comes approx to 1140000/-.
Discount - 45000/-
Exchange discount - 20000/-
Corporate discount - 10000/-
If i take a 2013 model in 2014 then flat 75000/- off
Standard Accessories cash back 18000/-
Totalling 168000/-
Is this without any finance scheme, please check. I will be surprised if this is available on outright buy without any hidden terms and conditions. A Vento Highline diesel for sub 10 lakhs seems like a fabulous price.
dipen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2013, 07:01   #665
BHPian

If you are ok with Vento highline but without steering mounted controls, previous version of alloy wheels please ask your dealer for bridge edition. You will get further cash discount and also 45000Rs worth accessories. I got one on Friday. Car was manufactured in July 18 2013.
prabhuferrari is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2013, 08:27   #666
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: Which New Car under Rs. 10 Lacs?

Quote:
Fuel: Diesel (Don't know why but I felt limited/chained in the petrol Rapid)
Loud
If this is restricting your thoughts, Test drive the Linea T-jet and all your worries will be over in a few minutes. If you really want a petrol car coz looking at your running I feel you should opt for a petrol one.

If you are still fixated on Diesel, then my suggestions as below:
1) Toyota Etios (purely for engine, rest all lacks the character)
2) New Ford Fiesta (Purely for the fun of driving, loaded too but rear seat is a question). Same holds for Ecosport too.
3) Linea MJD (Good looking, fun to drive, Solid built, you will forget Alto build soon)
4) Vento TDI
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2013, 12:33   #667
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Which Diesel car for ~10 Lakh? Vento vs Verna vs Rapid vs Fiesta vs Linea vs Othe

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
If you are ok with Vento highline but without steering mounted controls, previous version of alloy wheels please ask your dealer for bridge edition. You will get further cash discount and also 45000Rs worth accessories. I got one on Friday. Car was manufactured in July 18 2013.
Could you please share the detailed final offer that you got.
dipen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2013, 12:35   #668
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
Could you please share the detailed final offer that you got.
I got it for 10.7 in Bangalore without insurance. I took the insurance from ICICI Lombard for 35K with zero dep. they quoted 50K for insurance in showroom with zero dep.
prabhuferrari is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2013, 12:43   #669
BHPian

Of all the cars mentioned above. Why not the ERTIGA?
Price: Well the TOP END ZDi would cost around 9.5 Lakhs On Road.
Fuel consumption : Well you could easily get 16 in the city and 20 out on the highway. It all depends on your driving style.
Moreover this has adequate performance.
Ertiga
0-60:5.46
0-100:14.28
3rd gear 20-80:11.14
4th gear 40-100:12.71
ABS,airbags, Power Windows, Power Steering, Electrically Adjustable ORVMs, Body Coloured Door handles and ORVMs, a decent Music system, Fog Lamps, Adequate space for 5 medium sized adults, Beige interiors. This vehicle comes equipped with all the above mentioned prerequisites. And it does come with other features as well.
You could fold the third row seats to create extra boot space.
Nevertheless, The Ertiga is readily available.
I say you take it for a spin .
Recallers is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2013, 15:08   #670
Senior - BHPian

Since you are not quite fixated on a body shape yet, I would suggest Liva TRD Sportivo - fun to drive, economical and reliable. Ticks all your requirements.

PS:

Quote:
I drive at 30-40 kmph speeds with a light-foot (I don't over-rev and up-shift as early as possible) in the city ....... like to leave other cars in dust at traffic signals.
Buddy, aren't you contradicting yourself here?
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2013, 16:09   #671
BHPian

Default Re: Which Diesel car for ~10 Lakh? Vento vs Verna vs Rapid vs Fiesta vs Linea vs Othe

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Well the Linea T-Jet ought to do you well but then you did mention wanting a Diesel.
How about waiting for the new Honda City if budget permits? Though no one has seen it, I think it is safe for all of us to assume that it will once again set the benchmark in its segment. Even IF it doesn't, I'm sure it's worth waiting a couple of weeks to see.
If a driver's car isn't a must, the Sunny?

If you love SUVs, then why not try and buy an XUV500 W4 variant; Mahindra is taking their flagship quite seriously. They are proud of it and have been responding well to all the niggles that are reported. With almost all issues ironed out, the unnecessary gimmicks chucked, the W4 variant, I believe is the most well packaged base variant of any Indian car around
Both Linea and Punto are good cars but Fiat Service is the thing that worries me. Also, I don't think the interiors of the Punto do justice to the price tag. I am not sure whether I would be able to wait for the New City because of the discounts offered in December by car dealers. Anyway, we have a City in the family, so not keen on getting one. Will surely check it out once if it is launched by the time I am without a car. I give a strict NO to the Sunny and Scala because of the chauffer-driven image. XUV5oo W4 is launched at a much higher price than 10 Lac (almost 11 Lacs Ex-showroom) and I don't think it would fit my budget at close to 12 Lacs On-Road. But will still keep it as an option because of the availability of Airbags, Projector headlamps and major gadgets. Also, I heard that XUV5oo has been lowered by Mahindra to around 160/180mm. Would it be a problem (while driving)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
Try Linea, ecosport(if you can wait for one), polo gt tdi. Linea has some good discounts running on it, my brother picked up a Linea mjd emotion, last month for discount well above 1 lakh, 1.30 lakhs to be precise. Since, you already have a rapid, buying a rapid or vento won't make sense. Gt tdi will please the enthusiastic in you, but space at rear is nothing to talk about, ecosport same thing, rear seat space issues.

I would say, test drive all of the above cars and choose one you find comfortable. My pick would be Linea, if resale is something you're not bothered about

Even you can look at suvs like duster and xuv, but with abs and airbags, they'll surpass your budget of 10l.
No, I am not getting the EcoSport, for sure. I don't think it looks like a proper SUV as it is under 4 M. I feel adding visual elements of an SUV (Heavy design elements on the body, Positioning of spare wheel and fatter tyres) does not make a car an SUV. Would rather stay away from it. Linea is better avoided due to the Fiat Service. Yes Rapid and Vento won't make sense as I already have Rapid. Can you PM me the on-road price of the Linea your brother got last month? Coming to SUVs, I already have a Scorpio and I am left with XUV5oo and Duster. I think maybe Duster would be the one but NOT sure about the pricing of the RXL (O) or the RXZ variant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Renault Duster 85PS Diesel variant will be well under your budget. I would suggest Duster if you don't want to buy a sedan otherwise wait a little for the new Honda City diesel variant which though could cross the 10 lac mark but will be under 11 lakhs and that will be one heck of a car!
Yes, Duster is right on the top of my list. I think it meets most of my requirements but the availability of ABS and Airbags will be a deciding factor. Anyway when is the launch of the Honda City expected?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
Duster 85 with abs and airbags won't be in his budget.
Yes. But I am not sure as I can get a good deal with Renault dealer due to year-end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashphil View Post
Take a test drive on the Toyota Etios . It's got most of what you want and the diesel is a hoot to drive!
Rgds
Ashok
Toyota Etios is a nice car to drive, especially the petrol one. But, I am not much interested in the looks and have not heard a lot about the diesel (I feel petrol is much better to drive) Etios. Also, will be interior quality be in comparison with its rivals. I had driven a G variant with grey interiors and don't think things will be much better with the beige interiors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_mba View Post
ford fiesta Classic actually fits most of the criteria that you have set down. I know it is an older vehicle and is not a head turner or anything but it just happens to have all the things you want. It is a really comfortable car to drive and to be driven in.

Amaze diesel is another option although interiors looks cheap.

Hyundai i20 diesel is another option.
Nope. Ford Fiesta is a very old model now, though it is a great driver's car. Also, I have owned a Fiesta (now sold) and not keen on getting another one! The Amaze diesel has got the things right but not sure whether the interior layout will do justice to the price tag (I would probably be getting the VX variant). No for hatchbacks because I don't feel my family (and even I) would consider a hatchback with this budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto_enthusiast View Post
IMO the car that best suits your requirement is Ecosport Diesel. Since your running will be 1000-1200 kms, going for diesel will be justified. Like you said that the car will be driven mostly by you and you drive (without slowing down) at uneven/broken/gravel-filled roads, so ecosport being a SUV, will handle the uneven surfaces without the chances of scraping the underbelly. The GC is very good for this car so there will be no problem on water-logged streets too. Also the ES is fun to drive, economical, very stylish and you don't have to worry every time you tank up.
By driving without slowing down, I mean that I need a car that would withstand the undulations of the road (like stones, etc.) and would not end up shaken (like the current Honda City) on bad roads. In other words, I want a Punto-like ride over bad roads. Solid and stable. I have already mentioned reasons about NOT going for the EcoSport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Well your driving style needs a car with good handling and good pick up with some good amount of torque. Since it will be your personal car i will suggest you a hatch back. As a hatch is easier to drive, squeezing through heavy traffic will be easier and mostly importantly it can be parked in lesser space. According to me i would suggest you to take a test drive of two cars. One is the Punto 90hp and the other is the Polo Gt Tdi.

Polo will support you to zoom off the signal really fast where as Punto will offer you more comfortable ride if you dont not slow down on rough roads. So i would say test drive these two cars with your driving style before you decide on your car.

Plus if you can save a bit from your budget of 10 lacs, you can spend the rest on some good music system with amplifiers and woofers so you can justify your Tbhp handle 'LOUD' very well too.
I will manage even with average pickup but I want action in the low-mid range. I am not considering hatchbacks and will choose from Sedan/SUV/MUV category. Actually I have kept around ~60,000 rupees for my ICE needs, which will include a dual-subwoofer box and 2 Amps. I want the car to come under 10 Lac so that I can manage the overall purchase and accessories/modifications under 11 Lacs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Loud
If this is restricting your thoughts, Test drive the Linea T-jet and all your worries will be over in a few minutes. If you really want a petrol car coz looking at your running I feel you should opt for a petrol one.

If you are still fixated on Diesel, then my suggestions as below:
1) Toyota Etios (purely for engine, rest all lacks the character)
2) New Ford Fiesta (Purely for the fun of driving, loaded too but rear seat is a question). Same holds for Ecosport too.
3) Linea MJD (Good looking, fun to drive, Solid built, you will forget Alto build soon)
4) Vento TDI
I think a running of ~1000 per month would command a diesel, right? The New Ford Fiesta is a NO. It is too much overpriced and the rear styling feels odd. I drive a Rapid and feel it is pretty solid built. Linea MJD is being considered in my list. No Vento as I already have a Rapid and feel both Vento and Rapid are similar cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recallers View Post
Of all the cars mentioned above. Why not the ERTIGA?
Price: Well the TOP END ZDi would cost around 9.5 Lakhs On Road.
Fuel consumption : Well you could easily get 16 in the city and 20 out on the highway. It all depends on your driving style.
Moreover this has adequate performance.
Ertiga
0-60:5.46
0-100:14.28
3rd gear 20-80:11.14
4th gear 40-100:12.71
ABS,airbags, Power Windows, Power Steering, Electrically Adjustable ORVMs, Body Coloured Door handles and ORVMs, a decent Music system, Fog Lamps, Adequate space for 5 medium sized adults, Beige interiors. This vehicle comes equipped with all the above mentioned prerequisites. And it does come with other features as well.
You could fold the third row seats to create extra boot space.
Nevertheless, The Ertiga is readily available.
I say you take it for a spin .
Thanks for these figures. I have talked to a Maruti dealer for Ertiga Test Drive, which will most probably take place tomorrow. One question: I have seen 2-3 (actually more) Ertigas with ZDi badge running on VDi tyres (with wheel covers) and No alloys. Is this some special edition or a trick by dealers to make Ertiga ZDi (with Airbags) more affordable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Since you are not quite fixated on a body shape yet, I would suggest Liva TRD Sportivo - fun to drive, economical and reliable. Ticks all your requirements.

PS:

Buddy, aren't you contradicting yourself here?
I have said NO to hatchbacks and I would prefer a midsize sedan or some SUV/MUV/Crossover.
Yes, I may feel contradicting my own statement here, but with 'leaving other cars in dust' and 'quick acceleration instead of top speed', I meant good throttle response and powerful low and mid range. After a traffic signal, I start from first gear and rev upto ~3000 (or slightly more) RPMs to get away from other cars and this is achieved mostly when I slot into third gear. I am a pickup fan but NOT a redline-r. Maybe I am not clear here. Sorry for my poor skills.
Loud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2013, 16:42   #672
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for these figures. I have talked to a Maruti dealer for Ertiga Test Drive, which will most probably take place tomorrow. One question: I have seen 2-3 (actually more) Ertigas with ZDi badge running on VDi tyres (with wheel covers) and No alloys. Is this some special edition or a trick by dealers to make Ertiga ZDi (with Airbags) more affordable?
Which Diesel car for ~10 Lakh? Vento vs Verna vs Rapid vs Fiesta vs Linea vs Others-boot.jpg
This is how we blend in our weapons.
A Full size drum kit, 3 guitars, Amps and what not.
Don't mistake me for a Maruti executive. Just showing the practicality of the vehicle.
Cheers

Sorry for the back to back posts.

Quote:
Maruti's sole supplier in Thailand was unable to cope up with the sudden spike in demand so the dealers offered to give away the vehicles without the alloys.
Read more at http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...ga-303735.aspx
Cheers
~Rev

Last edited by noopster : 18th November 2013 at 20:03. Reason: Merged back to back posts
Recallers is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2013, 18:37   #673
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anyway when is the launch of the Honda City expected?
It's on 25th November.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...2013-a-27.html (Confirmed: 2014 Honda City to be unveiled in November 2013)
bluevolt is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2013, 22:24   #674

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
Is this without any finance scheme, please check. I will be surprised if this is available on outright buy without any hidden terms and conditions. A Vento Highline diesel for sub 10 lakhs seems like a fabulous price.

The said is with or without finance.Our choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
Ok will enquire about the same and post here.. Thank you for the info buddy.
Thejus_y393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2013, 18:16   #675
BHPian

There is already a lot of debate on the Petrol vs Diesel thing on the forum, so I am not going to add anything to that from my end; however, just quoting my personal experience here -

My monthly running (under normal circumstances) is 1000 kms; 650 kms for office commute and remaining 350 kms for other errands. Still I went ahead and bought a Diesel car, as for me it was more important to keep the monthly billing in check. When I compared the EMIs, the difference between a Petrol and Diesel vehicle was not of any discomfort since the extra premium for Diesel was being divided into 84 EMIs.

With one long distance trip every 2 or 3 months, I have ended up spending even less than the cost of a humble KSRTC Airavat Volvo heading to the same location.

But as I said earlier, this is just my opinion I thought of sharing.

Quote:
Yes, I may feel contradicting my own statement here, but with 'leaving other cars in dust' and 'quick acceleration instead of top speed'...After a traffic signal, I start from first gear and rev upto ~3000 (or slightly more) RPMs to get away from other cars
Not sure how it works where you stay, but assuming that it's the same pan-India, I would rather take a slow start from the signal rather than zooming off because there will definitely be an idiot or 2 who try to act smart and jump the signal within 3 to 5 seconds of it turning Red. These idiots can be in the form of a motorcyclist (small vehicle size, can squeeze past anything) or a City / State Transport bus (no one owns it, so not bothered in case of a damage) who always think they can get away with anything.

I would be more worried about avoiding such idiots rather than leaving other cars to dust.
Safety is Param is offline   Reply With Quote