Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2015, 17:09   #1096
BHPian
 
GameOfCars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Chd / Swansea
Posts: 66
Thanked: 98 Times
Default Re: Which Diesel car for ~10 Lakh? Vento vs Verna vs Rapid vs Fiesta vs Linea vs Others

We have a Ford Fiesta Classic TDCI 2011 model which has clocked about 62,000kms in about 4 and half years. Not planning an immediate upgrade but will be looking for a replacement for it in Feb 2016.

Requirements -

1. Has to be a sedan.
2. Basic safety kit - Dual front airbags and ABS is a minimum.
3. Has to be a diesel fueled car.
4. Decent power on tap. Should be able to do sane triple digit speeds on the highway without much fuss.
5. Automatic climate control.
6. Keyless go.
7. Auto folding ORVM's.
8. Reverse camera with sensors.
9. Engine start/stop button. Would love to have it but won't be a deal breaker.

Have been lurking on the idea of getting the Honda City iDtech V variant which just about fits the budget. And the second option is Maruti Suzuki Ciaz ZDI+ which is about 50-60k cheaper. Not looking for a Vento/Rapid as already have a Polo at home and don't want the new car to have a similar looking interiors. Not looking for Verna either as have owned the fluidic Verna for four years before replacing it with Hyundai Creta this year. Scala/Sunny/Linea not in the running either. Sadly, New Fiesta is more or less a market dud and I believe the productions have been stopped too.

Firstly, I've driven the City iDtech extensively as one of my cousin has it and although its a Honda, it seems to have a very flimsy built. His car has done about 30k kms in 18 months and there are noticeable rattles from various corners of the car. Engine is loud and the NVH levels are nothing to speak about. Good part is the car is returning brilliant mileage and has had no breakdowns what so ever. The service costs are also on the cheaper side. I wanted to know, has Honda improved the NVH levels in the newer 2015 cars as compared to the iDtech Honda City which was launched last year.

Secondly, I haven't driven the Ciaz but know the 1.3DDiS engine quite well. Does the car feel under-powered or is it adequate even out on the highways? Any chance we could see the 1.6 Multijet engine being plonked in the Ciaz in the near future? If yes, this would be the perfect replacement for us.

Thirdly, are there any new sedans expected to be launched in this segment during the Auto expo 2016?
GameOfCars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2015, 21:36   #1097
BHPian
 
H_Dogg72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 366
Thanked: 286 Times
Default Re: Which Diesel car for ~10 Lakh? Vento vs Verna vs Rapid vs Fiesta vs Linea vs Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameOfCars View Post
We have a Ford Fiesta Classic TDCI 2011 model which has clocked about 62,000kms in about 4 and half years.
1. Vento DSG diesel
It is well built and the interiors aren't really that similar anymore to the old polo.

2. S.Cross 1.6 Alpha

3. 1.3 in ciaz is definitely underpowered in my eyes.
H_Dogg72 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2015, 00:42   #1098
BHPian
 
GameOfCars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Chd / Swansea
Posts: 66
Thanked: 98 Times
Default Re: Which Diesel car for ~10 Lakh? Vento vs Verna vs Rapid vs Fiesta vs Linea vs Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post
1. Vento DSG diesel
It is well built and the interiors aren't really that similar anymore to the old polo.

2. S.Cross 1.6 Alpha
Really appreciate your suggestions. I'm sure we won't be going for a Vento/Rapid for the replacement. They have been around for a while now, and even with the facelift version, I really don't see much of a change. Though the design is a timeless under-stated one, but I'm quite done with it to be honest. Want something more fresh looking. Although the new flat bottom steering is quite lovely to hold, apart from it, I don't really see any significant change in the interiors as compared to my Polo.

Regarding S-Cross, as we already have a compact SUV in the garage, another crossover will not make much sense. Because of this reason Ecosport and Duster are also not being considered. It really has to be a conventional sedan. Plus I don't quite like the looks of the S-Cross. Would give it a pass even with the amazing 1.6 Multi-jet diesel engine.

Quote:
3. 1.3 in ciaz is definitely underpowered in my eyes.
I too fear the same as I had driven the Maruti Ertiga a long time back with the same engine and it suffered from severe turbo-lag below 2000rpm. I do realize one is a MUV and the other a sedan, but I'm guessing it would be a similar experience in the Ciaz as well which will surely strike it off the list as well. Saving grace in this might be that kerb weight of Ciaz diesel is almost 150kgs less as compared to Ertiga which surely will make it peppier to drive among these two.
In addition, all Maruti vehicles I've driven till date, none of them had confident inspiring brakes. Maybe its just me or the break pedal requires a little more throw to it to stop the vehicle than other cars I've driven or something else, but it has always been a nervy ride for me driving a Maruti vehicle. Though I will be taking a comprehensive test drive of the Ciaz when I get time before taking any final calls.

Main contender as of now is the Honda City iDtech V variant which has all the bells and whistles required. Looks good both inside and out. However, the engine noise and NVH levels inside the cabin are a huge downer and the build quality is also not upto the Honda standards of the past.

Utterly confused.
GameOfCars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2015, 23:13   #1099
BHPian
 
H_Dogg72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 366
Thanked: 286 Times
Default Re: Which Diesel car for ~10 Lakh? Vento vs Verna vs Rapid vs Fiesta vs Linea vs Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameOfCars View Post
Really appreciate your suggestions. I'm sure we won't be going for a Vento/Rapid for the replacement. They have been around for a while now, and even with the facelift version, I really don't see much of a change. Though the design is a timeless under-stated one, but I'm quite done with it to be honest. Want something more fresh looking. Although the new flat bottom steering is quite lovely to hold, apart from it, I don't really see any significant change in the interiors as compared to my Polo.

Regarding S-Cross, as we already have a compact SUV in the garage, another crossover will not make much sense. Because of this reason Ecosport and Duster are also not being considered. It really has to be a conventional sedan. Plus I don't quite like the looks of the S-Cross. Would give it a pass even with the amazing 1.6 Multi-jet diesel engine.



I too fear the same as I had driven the Maruti Ertiga a long time back with the same engine and it suffered from severe turbo-lag below 2000rpm. I do realize one is a MUV and the other a sedan, but I'm guessing it would be a similar experience in the Ciaz as well which will surely strike it off the list as well. Saving grace in this might be that kerb weight of Ciaz diesel is almost 150kgs less as compared to Ertiga which surely will make it peppier to drive among these two.
In addition, all Maruti vehicles I've driven till date, none of them had confident inspiring brakes. Maybe its just me or the break pedal requires a little more throw to it to stop the vehicle than other cars I've driven or something else, but it has always been a nervy ride for me driving a Maruti vehicle. Though I will be taking a comprehensive test drive of the Ciaz when I get time before taking any final calls.

Main contender as of now is the Honda City iDtech V variant which has all the bells and whistles required. Looks good both inside and out. However, the engine noise and NVH levels inside the cabin are a huge downer and the build quality is also not upto the Honda standards of the past.

Utterly confused.
Just not sure what to recommend you. The city is noisy, crude and unrefined. It is nowhere near the levels of german finesse. The ciaz is woefully slow.
Maybe stretch for the jetta/octavia?

Else I'd say vento eyes closed. Nothing else beats it.
H_Dogg72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2015, 07:02   #1100
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Rajeevraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,260
Thanked: 8,031 Times
Default Re: Which Diesel car for ~10 Lakh? Vento vs Verna vs Rapid vs Fiesta vs Linea vs Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameOfCars View Post

Secondly, I haven't driven the Ciaz but know the 1.3DDiS engine quite well. Does the car feel under-powered or is it adequate even out on the highways? Any chance we could see the 1.6 Multijet engine being plonked in the Ciaz in the near future? If yes, this would be the perfect replacement for us.

Thirdly, are there any new sedans expected to be launched in this segment during the Auto expo 2016?
I don't think there are any plans for a 1.6 Ciaz. The only other potential launches are the Toyota Vios and Ford's fiesta alternative. But there are no clear plans/info about both. Since you are planning only in 2016, there may be more concrete info that will come out during AutoExpo.
Rajeevraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2015, 15:18   #1101
BHPian
 
GameOfCars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Chd / Swansea
Posts: 66
Thanked: 98 Times
Default Re: Which Diesel car for ~10 Lakh? Vento vs Verna vs Rapid vs Fiesta vs Linea vs Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post
Just not sure what to recommend you. The city is noisy, crude and unrefined. It is nowhere near the levels of german finesse. The ciaz is woefully slow.
Maybe stretch for the jetta/octavia?

Else I'd say vento eyes closed. Nothing else beats it.
Even after knowing mostly all the pros and cons of each car in this segment, pretty much at square one to decide which one to go for. Dad seem more inclined towards the Honda City but I somehow want something different. Primary reason being, 5 of my immediate neighbours(absolutely next door) have the new gen Honda City and ours will only just add to the existing fleet. New gen Honda City is extremely popular here in Chandigarh. Not a bad thing per se, would surely be holding a better resale value 4 years down the line as compared to our Ford Classic which has depreciated quite exorbitantly over the last 4 years, but that surely is not a priority.

Stretching to Jetta/Octavia will not be possible as budget would be strictly around 11-12L OTR at the max.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
I don't think there are any plans for a 1.6 Ciaz. The only other potential launches are the Toyota Vios and Ford's fiesta alternative. But there are no clear plans/info about both. Since you are planning only in 2016, there may be more concrete info that will come out during AutoExpo.
I looked up a few pictures of the Toyota Vios, looks decent. But there are no concrete news of its launch during the auto-expo. Hardly any information of any other car being launched in this segment either.

I'm still hoping against hope, Maruti might surprise us during the expo with a 1.6MJD in the Ciaz. If things do remain the same post Auto-expo 2016, Honda City might just be the default choice at home.
GameOfCars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2015, 17:29   #1102
BHPian
 
asit.kulkarni93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Pune/ Bahrain
Posts: 571
Thanked: 594 Times
Default Re: Which Diesel car for ~10 Lakh? Vento vs Verna vs Rapid vs Fiesta vs Linea vs Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameOfCars View Post
We have a Ford Fiesta Classic TDCI 2011 model which has clocked about 62,000kms in about 4 and half years. Not planning an immediate upgrade but will be looking for a replacement for it in Feb 2016.

Requirements -

1. Has to be a sedan.
2. Basic safety kit - Dual front airbags and ABS is a minimum.
3. Has to be a diesel fueled car.
4. Decent power on tap. Should be able to do sane triple digit speeds on the highway without much fuss.
5. Automatic climate control.
6. Keyless go.
7. Auto folding ORVM's.
8. Reverse camera with sensors.
9. Engine start/stop button. Would love to have it but won't be a deal breaker.
Hello,

Looking at your requirements, I don't think neither the City nor the Ciaz are going to offer you an upgrade over the Fiesta Diesel. You have already mentioned that you have a Polo, But to be frank apart from the Vento no other sedan offers you a proper upgrade. It has a 5-star Latin NCAP rating, decent features and a brilliant engine.

The City has space in abundance, But the diesel engine on offer is the worst in its segment. The Ciaz is a vfm sedan which has a good feature list But the 1.3 DDiS is not so good. It is a decent engine but doesn't have enough power on tap.

You should consider the Sunny/Scala too. The Sunny is a spacious family sedan with a decent diesel engine. The 1.5 DCi offers amazing drivability and is very reliable. The looks are the only sore point, but again that is subjective.

This might be an odd suggestion but why don't you consider the Renault Fluence? With discounts going on, you can easily get one at the price of a City Diesel. It is a brilliant car with a decent engine. Do give it a thought.

Happy Car Shopping!

Asit
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2015, 18:41   #1103
BHPian
 
Turbohead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Chennai
Posts: 251
Thanked: 216 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameOfCars View Post
We have a Ford Fiesta Classic TDCI 2011 model which has clocked about 62,000kms in about 4 and half years. Not planning an immediate upgrade but will be looking for a replacement for it in Feb 2016.

Requirements -

1. Has to be a sedan.
2. Basic safety kit - Dual front airbags and ABS is a minimum.
3. Has to be a diesel fueled car.
4. Decent power on tap. Should be able to do sane triple digit speeds on the highway without much fuss.
5. Automatic climate control.
6. Keyless go.
7. Auto folding ORVM's.
8. Reverse camera with sensors.
9. Engine start/stop button. Would love to have it but won't be a deal breaker.
I think it would be better to put your car buying plans on hold since none of the cars on sale now will impress you. This is because of the ride and handling your current Fiesta offers. Since it has run only 60k, it can easily go on for another year or two. Don't worry about resale as it's a popular choice as a taxi (at least here in Chennai)
Rather wait for the next generation Ford Fiesta or the Fiat Aega( ie next generation Linea). I feel these cars will make a meaningful upgrade. Mind you, there is a good chance that the Fiat may also debut with 1.6l diesel.
This is just my personal opinion.
Regards
Turbohead
Turbohead is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2015, 14:13   #1104
BHPian
 
GameOfCars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Chd / Swansea
Posts: 66
Thanked: 98 Times
Default Re: Which Diesel car for ~10 Lakh? Vento vs Verna vs Rapid vs Fiesta vs Linea vs Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
Hello,

Looking at your requirements, I don't think neither the City nor the Ciaz are going to offer you an upgrade over the Fiesta Diesel. You have already mentioned that you have a Polo, But to be frank apart from the Vento no other sedan offers you a proper upgrade. It has a 5-star Latin NCAP rating, decent features and a brilliant engine.

The City has space in abundance, But the diesel engine on offer is the worst in its segment. The Ciaz is a vfm sedan which has a good feature list But the 1.3 DDiS is not so good. It is a decent engine but doesn't have enough power on tap.

Asit
As far as an upgrade is concerned, yes it won't be an outright upgrade but Ciaz and City do offer extra amount of cabin space along with tons of bells and whistles as compared to our bare-bone Fiesta Classic. Interiors specially have started to feel rudimentary. And the most important reason for an upgrade is the growing concern to get something more safer, as in with Airbags and ABS as the current car lacks both. Yes, engine and driveability wise not much of an upgrade though.

Vento does seem to have it all, but I don't really think my father would agree for another VW in the house. Neither I'm eager to get one to be honest. Maybe if I can somehow make myself agree for the DSG gearbox, then its a different ballgame altogether, but as of now AT is not a requirement. No offence to anyone, but Sunny and Scala are a part of the history books for me now & and same goes for the Fluence. No doubt they are brilliantly engineered vehicles, but I want something new and which would look fresh even 3-4 years down the line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
I think it would be better to put your car buying plans on hold since none of the cars on sale now will impress you. This is because of the ride and handling your current Fiesta offers. Since it has run only 60k, it can easily go on for another year or two. Don't worry about resale as it's a popular choice as a taxi (at least here in Chennai)
Rather wait for the next generation Ford Fiesta or the Fiat Aega( ie next generation Linea). I feel these cars will make a meaningful upgrade. Mind you, there is a good chance that the Fiat may also debut with 1.6l diesel.
This is just my personal opinion.
Regards
Turbohead
Yes the Fiesta can surely manage for another year or two easily but the main concern and reason for an upgrade is to get a car with all safety features. Our Fiesta classic is without ABS or Airbags and the car does fair amount of run out on the highways too, triggering a need for replacement. Most of the times, Creta is there for the outstation trips but there are times when both cars are out and then a need for a car with some basic safety kit as well as some gizmos is felt.

Fiat Aegea looks pretty gorgeous(typical Fiat) but from what i've read it won't be coming to our shores anytime before 2017. Since Fiesta will be turning 5 next year, I think it would be a good time to replace it. Question is with what? I had zeroed down on City and Ciaz in my mind, but now seem to have gone back to square one .
GameOfCars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2015, 20:06   #1105
Senior - BHPian
 
IshaanIan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hyd/B'lore
Posts: 2,438
Thanked: 3,132 Times
Default Re: Which Diesel car for ~10 Lakh? Vento vs Verna vs Rapid vs Fiesta vs Linea vs Others

The S-Cross seems like the perfect upgrade for you but since you say you want a sedan and not another crossover (albeit one of the most capable ones IMO), I'd suggest maybe spending a bit more and getting a Fluence the car has acres of space, wondrous ride quality, a tractable motor that may run out of breath at high speeds on the highway but has no trouble otherwise, and that lovely French design which will stay fresh for years to come. Since the car was never too popular, one can always haggle big discounts from the dealer as well
IshaanIan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2015, 20:08   #1106
AYP
BHPian
 
AYP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 310
Thanked: 458 Times
Default Re: Which Diesel car for ~10 Lakh? Vento vs Verna vs Rapid vs Fiesta vs Linea vs Others

From your specified budget and specified choice the city looks like the no brainer choice.
But if you can stretch your budget, you can go in for the elantra diesel in the S trim level.
It looks great and won't look old even after 3-4 years and it is the most value for money D-segment sedan. We had almost finalized on it, but ultimately went for the Jetta.
AYP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2015, 15:45   #1107
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 11
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Sedan Quandary

Hi

I intend to purchase a new sedan, I will be primarily chauffeur driven in Mumbai with a daily commute of about 50 kms but I do love driving and will occasionally get behind the wheel.

I am torn between the Honda City VX and the Corolla Altis, I know they are from different segments - The City does seem to have it all but am really worried about the number of complaints on team-bhp about the City. Hence considering the Altis instead but there are hardly any ownership reviews about the Altis.

I do not like the ride quality of Hyundai cars and have owned a VW in the past and have no desire to repeat the horrible after sales service experience. Resale value is an important consideration hence Chevy is out of the running as well.

I am more inclined towards petrol since I dont know if the 2 lakh+ on road price difference will be recovered, especially once I account for the higher EMI, insurance and maintenance cost over the ownership period.

Any suggestions, feedback welcome
sunilrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2015, 17:16   #1108
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: India
Posts: 9,364
Thanked: 13,338 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilrs View Post
Hi

I intend to purchase a new sedan, I will be primarily chauffeur driven in Mumbai with a daily commute of about 50 kms but I do love driving and will occasionally get behind the wheel.

Any suggestions, feedback welcome
Do look at the Ciaz Z variants too. It drives well as well as had good back seat space for your chauffeur drives.
a4anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2015, 13:25   #1109
Senior - BHPian
 
khoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dilli
Posts: 2,722
Thanked: 1,253 Times
Default Re: Sedan Quandary

In both the Ciaz & the City the rear passengers' outward leg is left hanging for want of under thigh support & at 100 kms a day x 5 days, that's a huge negative. The issue is more pronounced if one is any taller than 5'6"

The Altis's 1.8 litre engine is again desirable over the smaller 'CC' engines. The interiors too are better put together. If one has the resources, the Altis is the way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilrs View Post
Any suggestions, feedback welcome
khoj is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2015, 15:52   #1110
Distinguished - BHPian
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 4,694
Thanked: 3,871 Times
Default Re: Sedan Quandary

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilrs View Post
I am torn between the Honda City VX and the Corolla Altis, I know they are from different segments - The City does seem to have it all but am really worried about the number of complaints on team-bhp about the City. Hence considering the Altis instead but there are hardly any ownership reviews about the Altis.

I do not like the ride quality of Hyundai cars and have owned a VW in the past and have no desire to repeat the horrible after sales service experience. Resale value is an important consideration hence Chevy is out of the running as well.
Its pretty much a no-brainer there; go for the Corolla. It's a superior car in almost every aspect (compared to the City). The back seat is quite brilliant and except from the boring tag and a couple of missing safety features (compared to the competition in the same segment), there is nothing much wrong with it. Happy shopping!
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pictorial Comparison: Maruti Ciaz vs City, Verna, Vento, Rapid, Linea, Fiesta & Manza a4anurag Sedans 214 26th November 2017 00:15
Diesel Automatic Showdown: Skoda Rapid vs Hyundai Verna vs VW Vento S2!!! Sedans 114 26th October 2017 11:22
Driven! Vento, Optra, Linea, SX4, Manza. EDIT: Fluidic Verna (pg4), New Fiesta (Pg5) Poitive Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 117 25th February 2012 02:04
Fiesta Vs Linea Vs Verna - which is the best diesel? Accelerator The Indian Car Scene 223 2nd September 2009 18:22


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:31.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks