Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 12th April 2006, 21:55   #1

Default Indigo or City?

hi.
i've been driving a maruti for the past 6 years and am now sick and tired of it and wanna upgrade to a sedan..now i wanna knoe that is there a lotta difference between the city and the indigo??i can afford the city but it will strain my pockets...i'm in the army so i can get the basic model of the city for bout 6-30.shud i go in for that or is the indigo ok>?
the last time i bought a car(my maruti 800) i made the mistake of tryin to save bout a lac bucks and instead of buyin a santro or a zen ,ended up with a maruti...i dont wanna repeat the same mistake this time again..so i ask again, is there a lot of difference between the build and ride quality and the technology of the city and the indigo?another factor to keep in account is that we are a tall family..i'm 6'1 and my son is 6'2...so legroom is also an issue.
also is there ny other car worth lookin into,which is better than the above mentioned cars and lies in the same budget range?
hope someone can help
thank u
kreigsmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2006, 21:58   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hello Sir!

Which Corps? My dad was in the EME and I enjoy talking to Army folks. That being said, why Kriegsmarine? It should have been Wehrmacht or Heer or SS.

Jokes aside, I do not think the City makes sense in your case. It is a strain on the pocket and the running costs of a diesel are definitely much better. IMHO, stick to the Indigo. You should get a sweet deal if you are getting it through the CSD.
typeOnegative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2006, 23:06   #3
BHPian

indigo or city??
its like choosing between CHALK and CHEESE

and u r saying u can get base version of city for 6.3L?
city ZX EXI(base version) costs 7.2L OTR delhi.

btw, before buying indigo pls go through "protest against TATA motors" thread...

but i would choose City anyday over indigo.
speedbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2006, 23:14   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative
That being said, why Kriegsmarine? It should have been Wehrmacht or Heer or SS.
Wow TypeO, I didn't know you knew latin too. (Or is that Hebrew?)

Indigo is good in space, ride and easy on pocket, but if you like refinement (interior/engine/transmission/build quality) Honda City is the car to go.
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2006, 23:36   #5
BHPian

If you are looking at long relationship with your next car, remember honda will give you trouble free service for about 5 lakh kms, and most others in market will give you 2 lakhs

Hondacity is much more spacious than Indigo
venkatrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2006, 23:40   #6
Senior - BHPian

Unless ur looking for very good FE, don't get the Indigo. Other than that i don't see any reason to get one, cuz its a pathetic car to drive with esp. with the AC on.

City, on the other hand, might not be all that powerful but atleast its got good interiors and is much more refined than the Indigo. I'd pick this anyway.

Also mention ur needs more clearly...that'll help everyone to help u choose the right car

Last edited by karthik247 : 12th April 2006 at 23:42.
karthik247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2006, 23:40   #7

Default hmm..

well typo, i'm in the ordanance corps and karthik, indica was never in the frame..
bout the price thing,i can get the exi model for round 6'40 or 6'50 if not 6 30 cuz i'm gonna buy it from the CSD.the indigo will be bout a lakh-lakh thirty thousand cheaper(which is no small amount)..
is the city worth every cent(or paisa) of that 1 lac?i'm sorry if i'm being repetitive with my queries but when i buy a car i probably wont be replacing it for another 4-5 years..so i need to take a wise descision..
if i do buy the indigo,will i b makin the same mistake which i made while buying the maruti??

Last edited by kreigsmarine : 12th April 2006 at 23:44.
kreigsmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2006, 23:53   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreigsmarine
is the city worth every cent(or paisa) of that 1 lac?i'm sorry if i'm being repetitive with my queries but when i buy a car i probably wont be replacing it for another 4-5 years..so i need to take a wise descision..
if i do buy the indigo,will i b makin the same mistake which i made while buying the maruti??
As a choice, this one is interesting - the two cars are the biggest sellers in the sedan category in India. Both have an equal amount of space inside, both have similar output figures (I assume you're talking petrol here?), both are comfortable sedans.

That said, the City is way ahead of the Indigo in terms of refinement, quality, luxury and reliability. You cant compare the two inside despite the similarity in size outside.

If you can afford the difference in price without breaking the bank, go for the City. If you think it will be a strain on your pocket, go for the Indigo. Either way, you win on one count or the other.

I hope we've confused you sufficiently!
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2006, 08:51   #9
Senior - BHPian

Default Servicing

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreigsmarine
well typo, i'm in the ordanance corps and karthik, indica was never in the frame..
Hi Sir,

You need to factor one more thing in your equation.

Being in the forces, I am assuming that you would have a transferrable job. That being the case, you may not find a Honda dealership everywhere you go. THus servicing hte Honda may be a problem.

Thus from this perspective, the Indigo may be a better deal. Also I think if you are buying hte Indigo Petrol GLX from the CSD, it will not cost you more than 4.9 OTR.

Aother car you can definitely consider is the Baleno. A bit dated, but a brilliant car even today. And going by Maruti's track record there is no danger of it being phased out at least in our lifetime!
Kudos to you and your fellow officers for the sterling job you are doing!
himanshugoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2006, 09:59   #10
Senior - BHPian

Thats a very good point you mentioned, himanshu. That thought didnt crosss my mind.
islero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2006, 11:55   #11
BHPian

Dear Marine,

I suggest you get the Indigo for 3 reasons

Fuel effeciency - much more simply because it is a diesel
Tata service - omnipresent as Himanshu said
Ground clearence - City is pathetic in that regard
Rayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2006, 12:07   #12
BANNED

I'd say go for the City between the two. It's a much better car. Indigo doesn't even compare on any parameters except it's cheaper.

Also, as far as servicing goes. Tata may have a wider network than Honda, but frankly that does not guarantee you any peace of mind (speaking from the experience of owning an Indigo for 2 years).
Boom Shiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2006, 12:14   #13
BHPian

in my opinion indigo sx makes more sense but i recomment petrol. being in army i m sure u wont have 2 travel more than 4-500 kms (cause army people live in the cantonment).
naveendhyani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2006, 15:31   #14
BHPian

I would suggest you to go for the City.
caroholic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2006, 16:09   #15
Team-BHP Support

Indigo, diesel is a really big hit with lot of armed forces guys. I also understand when you say that you will keep the car for at least 5 years (better; my bro-in-law says he will keep his for 8-10 years!).

In my opinion when you are looking for a sedan you want a practical car that may not excel in any single aspect and yet does a good job of most things. And I think an Indigo Diesel sedan may meet your requirements the best. And if you are not one of those who go on real long drives once too often ('will only putter around the cantonement/estate in a 5-6 km radius) then maybe you can also look at the Indigo Petrol option...

Honda is definitely more upmarket, chic even refined... and most of all IT IS A HONDA. But then what does that mean to you? After at least half a decade of driving or maybe even more the resale value factor will have minimal effect. So beyond that you have to just decide whether the X-Factor and of course the refinement associated with Honda products do really compel you to put in those extra few lakhs.
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote