Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 7th April 2016, 17:10   #136
BHPian

Default Re: Chauffeur-driven / Comfortable Sedan under Rs. 10 Lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkkaran View Post
Any reason for not considering the new Compact SUVs? The S Cross/creta would be a very good option to be chauffeur driven in IMO. The cars being relatively taller to sedans, will have easier ingress/egress.
Please leave the etios out of this. It just does not feel car enough.

From the sedans, either the ciaz, or go higher up and get the corolla.
Even though the car is overpriced, overall costs will get balanced out, cheaper ownership and much better resale 5-7 years down the line will offset the high price.
Love the Creta and actually I did consider the S-Cross. The former has a ridiculous waiting and latter's future is a little suspect. But if push comes to shove I may just wait and give a serious look at the creta, particularly since I can get a competent auto for a couple of lakhs less.

Precisely my thinking with the sedans I'm oscillating between the Ciaz and the Corolla. It does sound strange though since they are at completely difference price points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
With respect to the Altis Vs Etios, I think there is a huge difference. Altis has lot more to offer per car. While I do agree that D-Segment has moved-up. (C-Segment expanding quite heavily and then the advent of premium X-Overs).

Here is an old thread with regards to the same.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ura-et-al.html (The Diminishing Value of D1 Segment Sedans (Altis, Cruze, Civic, Laura et al))

But in spite of that, if you need a D-Segment Chauffeur driven car, nothing beats the Altis. But yes, you need to decide, if you need a D-Segment in the first place.
Thanks Ampere. Have read (and LOVED) that thread by GTO. It a damning confirmation of my own perception. Right now only the price gap has widened without a fully corresponding increase in product competence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Try and find yourself a Nissan Teana or a Toyota Camry. New or Used (sometimes dealers might have discounts on older stock or on slightly used ones with warranty etc.) These are the ultimate chauffer driven no-nonsense cars (Teana being my favourite, slightly more difficult to get into the rear bench but supremely more comfy) Japanese reliability is a given with both cars and sourcing parts for any Japanese car is always going to be easy.

If you are looking at a new car, I'd suggest atleast sticking to the D1 segment. Don't compromise just because something like the Corolla doesn't feel worth it. It is still going to be leagues ahead of any C-Segment car at the end of the day. That said, Toyota is being shamelessly greedy with the car and I fully understand you not wanting to give into such nonsense. If there are no complaints with your Renault dealer, then simply go for the Fluence. I have a friend who has owned a Fluence since day one when it was launched and another who bought one subsequently in 2012. Absolutely no issues with the car. Reliability is top notch, engine is tried and tested DCi motor, ride is fantastic, design is fresh inside-out, and it just feels more worth it than the Corolla
Very frankly I think that's where the tale will end.. with me giving up to Toyota's pricing games.
vineshpikale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2016, 18:17   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineshpikale View Post
I think this is a fairly common dilemma. I find myself in a similar position thus realizing that the Indian car market still has a long long way to go before it gets much needed depth.

I'm looking to buy a car for my Dad. I have a budget upto 20 lakhs provided I see value in the purchase. The key requirements
a) a comfortable rear seat since it'll be predominantly chauffeur driven
b) it needn't be a drivers car but should not be unrefined since my father would drive it occasionally.
c) should be easy to get in and get out
d) reliability and maintenance should not be a question mark.

Besides this I have absolutely no other demands.
Your requirements are fairly simple, and I don't think you should go for the Corolla just because you have the budget. But if the intent here is to get your dad something premium- Maybe with the the prestige of a D Segmenter- If some part of you needs it to be like a gift and a thank you for all he has done for you-Then no confusion-The Corolla it is.

Just for your requirements, I think the Ciaz fits your needs best. It is spacious, good inside and outside, refined and will be comfortable for your dad to drive. I don't think the compact SUV's are best suited for Chauffeured requirements. The Etios is a little too basic and commonplace.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2016, 18:33   #138
Senior - BHPian

The Ciaz is a very nice car, but there is no doubt the rear seat comfort of a Corolla is superior in terms of headroom, and rear seat support.

In terms of ease of driving - pick up an AT Ciaz or a Corolla. Both will be refined, and easy to drive. Even though it is chauffeur driven - there will be less jerks that would be felt in the cabin during gearshifts.
lamborghini is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2016, 19:49   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Your requirements are fairly simple, and I don't think you should go for the Corolla just because you have the budget. But if the intent here is to get your dad something premium- Maybe with the the prestige of a D Segmenter- If some part of you needs it to be like a gift and a thank you for all he has done for you-Then no confusion-The Corolla it is.

Just for your requirements, I think the Ciaz fits your needs best. It is spacious, good inside and outside, refined and will be comfortable for your dad to drive. I don't think the compact SUV's are best suited for Chauffeured requirements. The Etios is a little too basic and commonplace.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
The Ciaz is a very nice car, but there is no doubt the rear seat comfort of a Corolla is superior in terms of headroom, and rear seat support.

In terms of ease of driving - pick up an AT Ciaz or a Corolla. Both will be refined, and easy to drive. Even though it is chauffeur driven - there will be less jerks that would be felt in the cabin during gearshifts.
Thanks Rajeevraj,Lamborghini. Like I said above those are two that I'm currently oscillating between.

What do you think, are decent launches in the D segment worth waiting for? (Civic, refreshed Elantra)
Old 7th April 2016, 21:13   #140
BHPian

The Corolla ticks all your boxes and has a presence, brand value which no other car gives. It's true that Cars like Honda City are truly improved and can do 90% of what the Corolla does at 65% the price.

I still think the Corolla is a very good choice.
My other two choices would be:
1. Creta
2. City
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2016, 23:14   #141
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What do you think, are decent launches in the D segment worth waiting for? (Civic, refreshed Elantra)
I am not convinced about the Elantra back seat. Compared to that an Altis any day.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2016, 14:58   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
The Corolla ticks all your boxes and has a presence, brand value which no other car gives. It's true that Cars like Honda City are truly improved and can do 90% of what the Corolla does at 65% the price.

1. Creta
2. City
We have a Honda City (the one prior to the current Gen). Its a truly well rounded car and has deservedly ruled the roost for quite a bit now. I do however and with regular frequency either hit my knees or knock my head while getting into/out of the drivers seat That and the itch of getting something different. But you are absolutely right, the City is definitely the pick of the segment given what I want (with the Ciaz being not too far off).

Quote:
I am not convinced about the Elantra back seat. Compared to that an Altis any day.
True that.
Old 10th April 2016, 09:24   #143
BHPian

Quote:
I do however and with regular frequency either hit my knees or knock my head while getting into/out of the drivers seat
True that.
I roll back the seat before getting off ... getting in and out is more comfortable that way.
kotirajendra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2016, 18:18   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotirajendra View Post
I roll back the seat before getting off ... getting in and out is more comfortable that way.
I guess thats a work around. The hiccup is I'm not the only one using the car. And a bunch of people of different heights
Old 11th May 2016, 22:55   #145
BHPian

An update guys.. Actively considering the Honda BRV CVT model. Will in all probability close it tomorrow.
Old 21st July 2016, 15:11   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkkaran View Post
Any reason for not considering the new Compact SUVs? The S Cross/creta would be a very good option to be chauffeur driven in IMO. The cars being relatively taller to sedans, will have easier ingress/egress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Try and find yourself a Nissan Teana or a Toyota Camry. New or Used (sometimes dealers might have discounts on older stock or on slightly used ones with warranty etc.) These are the ultimate chauffer driven no-nonsense cars (Teana being my favourite, slightly more difficult to get into the rear bench but supremely more comfy) Japanese reliability is a given with both cars and sourcing parts for any Japanese car is always going to be easy.

If you are looking at a new car, I'd suggest atleast sticking to the D1 segment. Don't compromise just because something like the Corolla doesn't feel worth it. It is still going to be leagues ahead of any C-Segment car at the end of the day. That said, Toyota is being shamelessly greedy with the car and I fully understand you not wanting to give into such nonsense. If there are no complaints with your Renault dealer, then simply go for the Fluence. I have a friend who has owned a Fluence since day one when it was launched and another who bought one subsequently in 2012. Absolutely no issues with the car. Reliability is top notch, engine is tried and tested DCi motor, ride is fantastic, design is fresh inside-out, and it just feels more worth it than the Corolla
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Your requirements are fairly simple, and I don't think you should go for the Corolla just because you have the budget...Just for your requirements, I think the Ciaz fits your needs best. It is spacious, good inside and outside, refined and will be comfortable for your dad to drive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
1. Creta
2. City
Quote:
As a update and apt to the thread title - In a twist of fate I've decided against the BR-V for reasons outlined in earlier post (they started looming too large on me :-D) or the Innova and finally opted for the Hyundai Creta SX+ Auto Diesel.

Primary reasons:
-I anyways wanted 5 seats not 7, just five comfortable ones rather than 7 compromised ones.
- Wanted a decent autobox
- While running's not much, i preferred diesel because of the torquey nature and the fact that the fuel efficiency delta gets magnified as the vehicle becomes larger.
- wanted something with great fit and finish and minimum maintenance hassles (fingers crossed).

The above's in the hope that it'll help someone come to a decision. Thanks to all guys above who pitched in with theirs thoughts! :-)
vineshpikale is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2016, 19:57   #147
Senior - BHPian

I am waking this thread up because I am contemplating a car for my parents as well. They don't drive and it will be completely chauffer driven. There will be a lot of South Indian pilgrimage trips done in it. Only two or maximum three passengers with a bit of luggage. They stay in Chennai.

I am sticking with Toyota as a brand within which I would like to choose a car. I am looking at a used corolla or a used camry. They don't need a new car and I am giving myself a couple of months to net a well cared for used car within these two Marques for them

What are the prices for a used camry in Chennai? Does the camry offer superlative advantages over the corolla?
Red Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2016, 20:12   #148
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I am sticking with Toyota as a brand within which I would like to choose a car. I am looking at a used corolla or a used camry. They don't need a new car and I am giving myself a couple of months to net a well cared for used car within these two Marques for them

What are the prices for a used camry in Chennai? Does the camry offer superlative advantages over the corolla?
The Camry would definitely be more comfortable and spacious in the back. The Corolla itself is a very competent car and I don't think you would regret your decision. If the car is going to be completely chauffeured then you can also look at the diesel variant. Finding a used Corolla would be much more easier than finding a Camry and also at a similar price point in the used car market, the Corolla Altis would definitely be a relatively newer model with less number of kms covered.

May I also suggest a used Innova with captain seats?
drmohitg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2016, 20:17   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
The Camry would definitely be more comfortable and spacious in the back. The Corolla itself is a very competent car and I don't think you would regret your decision. If the car is going to be completely chauffeured then you can also look at the diesel variant. Finding a used Corolla would be much more easier than finding a Camry and also at a similar price point in the used car market, the Corolla Altis would definitely be a relatively newer model with less number of kms covered.

May I also suggest a used Innova with captain seats?
Wouldn't the Innova be an overkill for just two people and sometimes just a single person in the rear seat? I though the camry would be a more stately car for my older folks who I think should be chauffeured around in a bit more comfort and elegance.

I will look around briefly for a camry, but the end game is me going to Toyota official used cars and telling them my requirement and just picking one up minus all the check up hassles. I just want this to be a long trouble free ownership experience for them, since I will not be around to manage the car and the driver will need to do everything. I will ofcourse visit every few months and will check on the car at that time. But you get the gist.
Red Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2016, 20:25   #150
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Wouldn't the Innova be an overkill for just two people and sometimes just a single person in the rear seat? I though the camry would be a more stately car for my older folks who I think should be chauffeured around in a bit more comfort and elegance.
The Innova too is actually quite comfortable, specially with the captain seats. I am not sure about the elegant part.

Quote:
I will look around briefly for a camry, but the end game is me going to Toyota official used cars and telling them my requirement and just picking one up minus all the check up hassles. I just want this to be a long trouble free ownership experience for them, since I will not be around to manage the car and the driver will need to do everything.
Do take a good look at the car. I would not even trust Toyota used car department blindly in India. The dealers are always out there to make an extra buck and what appears to be all gleaming from outside might turn out to be not so good in the real world. People have had bad experiences with official used car dealers too like Mahindra first choice etc.
drmohitg is offline   Reply With Quote