Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 14th April 2006, 19:58   #1

Default Diesel Dilemma

Hi , I am a new member and this is my first post.

I have a 1.6 optra and am very happy . Of late my usage has increased to 2500 - 3000 Km per month with atleast one outstation ride .

I now want to go in for a Diesel , and have short llisted the Elantra / Ford Fiesta. Had considered the Skoda even though it stretched my budget to the limit, however dropped the idea on too counts , cramped rear seat - which is where I sit and understand the maintenace costs is quite a bomb.

Hope you will of help to make up my mind

Cheers

J aydee
Jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2006, 20:35   #2
jat
BHPian

Go for Fiesta, most comfortable rear seat out of the three.

RK
jat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2006, 20:52   #3
BHPian

Exclamation ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by jat
Go for Fiesta, most comfortable rear seat out of the three.

RK
How can you compare two entirely different classes and say that the lower class is better? Fiesta cannot be compared with Elantra.

It is like saying a Splendor is better than a Bullet.
Rayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2006, 20:54   #4
BHPian

Elantra CRDI is a brilliant car but you may want to wait for the Accent CRDI replacement due shortly.
Old 14th April 2006, 21:06   #5
BHPian

Jaydee if you are so happy with your Optra, why don't you just convert it into LPG.

Out of Fiesta/Elantra, I would suggest Elantra since its clearly a higher segment car.

Cheers!!!
gr8guzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2006, 09:46   #6

Any comments from an elantra CRDI owner , particularly related to FE , ride quality , braking , maintenace costs . Whats is the best price deal one can get for the top end model in Bangalore ? Read some where Hyundai is launching new versions of Accent & Elantra , any update on the expectd dates ?
Old 15th April 2006, 09:51   #7

Kishore , thanks for the suggestion . Can you give me some info on LPG conversion. Is it approved for private cars, I see huge Auto queues in the few bunks that sell gas .

JD
Old 15th April 2006, 10:12   #8
Senior - BHPian

I would want to wait a bit for the indigo DICOR.

fiesta and elantra while both being CRDI engines are in different segments are excellent cars.

If you want rear seat comfort and space then look for Elantra. Otherwise I have not ridden in fiesta's rear seat but assume that indigo's rear seat is one of the best in class in comfort and space.

PS: look at the indigo diesel sx version.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2006, 18:53   #9
Senior - BHPian

IMO as long as you are not driving a fiesta diesel the car is ok. Rear seat is also pretty comfortable(dint sit there for too long though). Engine is refined, silent etc. etc. But it completely lacks the punch. I wouldnt pay 8.x lacs for a fiesta tdi. I would rather pay that much for an accent crdi even though it is being discontinued.

Elantra is worth its money. I never sat at the back though.
cooldude1988765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2006, 19:47   #10
Senior - BHPian

If u like to drive its worth going for Elantra for its raw torque....CRDi rulzzz..
If u are a back seat user Fiesta n rest are good enough... The seats of Ford are one the best for long journeys.....
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2006, 20:07   #11
BANNED

if its the rear seat comfort you are much more interested in then the best bet for you is INDIGO.
and IndigoXL is round the corner.
i know indigo feels like a Hero Puch !!

but Indigo does gathers decent speed and covers the distance in good comfort and time.
maintenance is also quite reasonable!

since you won't be driving it much, then imho, Indigo XL is a better car to wait for.

and i don't think there is any need to say a thing about the comfort levels of existing IndigoSX! XL will be much much better than that!

well, if YOU wants to drive the diesel car then don't look elsewhere except your wallet(!) and go (rather jump!) for Skoda 1.9 TDi !!
revharder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2006, 20:27   #12
Senior - BHPian

I would reccomend the Elantra CRDi.
Even though we faced the same dillemma as you sometime ago, we chose the fiesta but since you are primarily a backseat driver, i would reccomend the Elantra CRDi
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2006, 20:42   #13
BANNED

Get fiesta than the Elantra. That's too much an odd looking car and it carries the worthless Hyundai name.

I should also say that there's no good Diesel car in the upper C segment. I am waiting for a diesel Corolla to show up.

Skoda Octavia is not worth the money you pay 'coz it's a VW Golf Sedan (almost an accent size car) with a different setup. It's sold higher than it's actual segment. It's cramped and the rear seats are not comfortable for long rides. And almost every women in my family complained about stomach troubles after they sat in the rear seat of an octy. Something that needs immediate attention! is'nt it skoda?
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2006, 21:03   #14
jat
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayden
How can you compare two entirely different classes and say that the lower class is better? Fiesta cannot be compared with Elantra.

Quote:
It is like saying a Splendor is better than a Bullet.
I now want to go in for a Diesel , and have short llisted the Elantra / Ford Fiesta. Had considered the Skoda even though it stretched my budget to the limit, however dropped the idea on too counts , cramped rear seat - which is where I sit and understand the maintenace costs is quite a bomb.
I gave him a choice from what he wants and not my or somebody else choice. Try sitting in the rear seat of Elantra for long hours and also try getting in and getting out. Now where is the comparison?
jat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2006, 23:05   #15
BHPian

Jat, are you saying the Fiesta is more comfortable than the Elantra?