Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 15th April 2006, 19:44   #1
BANNED

Default Lancer LX

Hi Guys,

I am new here.... own a Maruti 800 and Wagon R; now looking for a sedan which i will easily keep for 5 to 6 years....

I need your expert opinions on which one to go for.....

My Criteria is as below:

1. Need Good FE. monthly running about 1500 KM.
2. Budget upto 6 L ( can stretch a bit but not much )

I have very few options here:

1. Aveo 1.4
2. Baleno Lxi
3. Lancer LX
4. Fiesta

I know some of the above are more than 6 L cars; but please suggest which is the best one keeping in mind resell value, FE, and low maintaince car.

How is Lancer? Does it give good FE?

Please help here....

Waiting impatiently,
Udit
udit78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2006, 19:58   #2
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Aveo is new in market, For ford the parts are expensive. Lancer has the lowest resale value of the lot. so the verdict will be Baleno. it is the top of the line model by maruti the service is good the parts are cheeaper and i have alos heared people saying it give between 10-13 KMPL with 50% AC. It is a sheer pleasure to drive a baleno. Test drive all the cars and see which one do you like the most to drive . but if you wanty to keep the car for such a long time then go for maruti.
pramodkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2006, 20:27   #3
BANNED

Thanks Pramod.... i have driven Baleno... it is real cool.... what do other people feel here....
Old 15th April 2006, 21:59   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by udit78
Thanks Pramod.... i have driven Baleno... it is real cool.... what do other people feel here....
Not much difference between the Bharat-III lancer(87hp) and baleno(91hp) in performance. resale and FE are same for both. VFM wise baleno is better. Climate control is a welcome option and maintainence of a maruti is easier but So has my lancer been maintainence free. Lancer looks better but both look aged.

Also look at the invecs 1.8. It costs more but is the best autobox in the country along with cvt(loses due to 77hp only) this side of 10lacs.

I own a lancer and will certainly recommend a lancer but others may recommend you a baleno which is also good.

chevrolet aveo and ford fiesta are like twins. newer cars with better interiors and more powerful. I have heard that these also give good FE figures. resale will be ok and better than lancer and baleno IMHO.

putting the title as lancer lx makes me think you are tilting towards the lancer lx more. try for an invecs though. Put your money where your heart is. Another option I would recommend is the ford fiesta.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 15th April 2006 at 22:02.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2006, 11:54   #5
BANNED

If you like the Lancer, go for it. It is in a different class from all the other cars mentioned in your list.

I used to get approx 10-10.5 kmpl in Mumbai city hellish rush hour traffic with A/C always on. We sold our car 2 months ago, but it gave us 6 years and 1.27 lakh kilometres of trouble-free ownership.
Boom Shiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2006, 15:14   #6
Senior - BHPian

Get the lancer.
Heard somewhere that the quality issues have gone so the car should be very reliable. Also the car is quite comfortable, vry fuel efficient, quite big, loads of fun to drive and the HM guys are giving a good discount too.
The fiesta is also another good option so i would advise you to check those two cars out.
Also do a search for lancer and fiesta and aveo and baleno.
You will come up with a lot of arguments.
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2006, 16:39   #7
BHPian

I would recomend the Baleno. Just feel the performance of this car is better than the other cars mentioned here. Buy a Baleno if you want an all-rounder in the segment. Looks are about the only shortfall i guess coz there are a lot of people who hate the Baleno's looks, but then i believe that looks are a personal taste.

Cheers
prince85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2006, 20:57   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince85
I would recomend the Baleno. Just feel the performance of this car is better than the other cars mentioned here. Buy a Baleno if you want an all-rounder in the segment. Looks are about the only shortfall i guess coz there are a lot of people who hate the Baleno's looks, but then i believe that looks are a personal taste.

Cheers
The Baleno performance edge that you are talking about is limited to BS-2 versions. What will be the difference between 87hp and 91hp? torquewise lancer zooms ahead with similar difference. even the power is produced at same rpm's. lancers engine is the smoothest and most refined of the lot you will find with excellent NVH levels.

but lancer handles better and looks better too. Both look dated. Baleno's strong point is the maruti brand. A/c is more powerful in baleno and climate control is a boon but Lancer is not a slouch with the additional rear a/c vents. lancer is bigger and more spacious too. interiors have been improved in both but I find baleno's to be marginally better with those mettalic finishes.

my sfxi with 100% a/c in Ahmedabad walled city traffic gives 13-14. Baleno is equally FE.

my car has been maintainence free and the dealers are pretty honest.

take a test drive of both in city an on highways and then decide.

my recommendation would still be the invecs.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2006, 00:11   #9

go in for the baleno good fe exellent perfomence and a comfy cabin and good overall dynamics
crazy bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2006, 00:56   #10
BHPian

Udit...if you are a guy who likes performance..go for Aveo or Fiesta Petrol...

If performance is not an issue....go for Fiesta TDCI

Lancer/Baleno are both out dated and absolutely no resale value for the time you plan to hold on to this car.

Cheers!!!
gr8guzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2006, 09:42   #11
BANNED

Thank you so much guys... i am yet to test drive Aveo.... will see it over the weekend.... my concern for Aveo is just the after sales and maintainence cost of the car....

I saw it once , interiors are nice in AVEO....

Will post queries after a do a test drive of AVEO....

Thanks again,
Udit