Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 15th November 2012, 16:48   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Buying a pre-owned Renault Fluence?

Yup A civic Auti will do you more justice than a Renault in the long run.If you must go for a Renault please go for a diesel as Europeans IMHO make better diesel's than they make petrol engines.The Civic (with a few niggles here and there) would be cheaper and economical(fitted with CNG) in the long run.People on this forum have used their civic's for more than 100K without major issues.

Good Luck.
sumeethaldankar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2012, 17:28   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Maybe OT. But seriously, Civic looking better than a Fluence? Although looks are subjective, but I think, in that segment the Fluence looks the best.

The one major ball I have against the Civic though - It's rear seat ride comfort and it's ultra low GC.
Looks are just subjective thing, so deeply personal. But yes, I very firmly believe that the Civic is the more beautiful of the two and know some won't agree, but then to each their own.

And yes, the Ground Clearance is an issue, but if I remember correctly GTO's Civic thread mentions a fix for it, an inexpensive one at that too. My memory could be failing me though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
If you must go for a Renault please go for a diesel as Europeans IMHO make better diesel's than they make petrol engines.
A diesel auto would be terrific (maybe even perfect), but the Fluence only has a petrol auto and OP has mentioned that he wants only an automatic for various reasons.
iliketurtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2012, 18:16   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
For 10.75 you could even get an Accord with similiar milage.
Woah, I will definitely keep an eye out for that.
==================
If you plan to keep the car really long-term (which you seem to), go Japanese. You (and your wallet) won't regret it.[/quote]

The civic's rear space is a definite issue, though I must admit I had not considered it because the City is so tiny, so I figured the Civic would be marginally larger. The problem with my father's leg is that discomfort factor when it is kept bent for longer periods.
The consensus here seems to be oriented towards Japanese vehicles though, so I defer to your collective experience and will look into the Honda/Toyota models to find something suitable

@Iliketurtles, I personally prefer the fluence's minimalist looks over the civic, but as you said, to each his own. And looks are not a major criterion for me as far as this purchase is concerned, just an added bonus with respect to the fluence I was speaking of.

Thanks again for all the inputs, will post as soon as I have an occasion to see the car and procure further info.
Anghammarad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2012, 13:59   #19
BHPian

For your mileage 1K~1.5K/month and a D segment sedan, I'd recommend a diesel. Nothing comes close to the rear sofa of the Sonata Embera or Transform. Shouldnt be a problem finding one pre-owned in Mumbai.

Also look for Suzuki Kizashi AT, petrol though!
AirWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2012, 16:57   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
You never know how the Fluence will age, and service costs can be quite notorious with European cars.

If you plan to keep the car really long-term (which you seem to), go Japanese. You (and your wallet) won't regret it.
My only question here is if the alter ego of the fluence is sold under the Nissan badge, would all these doubts go away.

I wanted to know how many people will be using the car on a regular basis. The reason for this question is that if the OP's father is uncomfortable in tue front seat, despite it being pushed back all the way because of the AC, he could alternately sit in the back seat with the front seat all the way forward. In this scenario, most B+ or more vehicles would give him enough leg space.

The Toyota and Honda cars are both very ideal here, especially with petrol car resale being decimated.
pganapathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2012, 17:15   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
My only question here is if the alter ego of the fluence is sold under the Nissan badge, would all these doubts go away
, but this is a really good question. Set me thinking for a few seconds, but I'm pretty sure a Fluence sold by Nissan wouldn't make me lean towards recommending it for OP. Yeah sure, I'm confident it'll be a good car but Nissan's dealership and service base is still growing and as yet it's service cost and quality is an unknown. That's the same gripe I have with Renault and it's why I'd plump for Honda/Toyota in the first place. So while Nissan is Japanese, that's about as far as I'd go with holding it in the same regard as Honda/Toyota.
Old 16th November 2012, 19:26   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
, but this is a really good question. Set me thinking for a few seconds, but I'm pretty sure a Fluence sold by Nissan wouldn't make me lean towards recommending it for OP. Yeah sure, I'm confident it'll be a good car but Nissan's dealership and service base is still growing and as yet it's service cost and quality is an unknown. That's the same gripe I have with Renault and it's why I'd plump for Honda/Toyota in the first place. So while Nissan is Japanese, that's about as far as I'd go with holding it in the same regard as Honda/Toyota.
So effectively we are saying Toyota and Honda rather than Japanese. Admittedly the others have issues. Mitsubishi can thank HM and the fact that their models are horribly outdated, Nissan their non existent dealers, Suzuki their tie up with Maruti making them Indian.

However, let us assume Nissan / Renault improve their dealer reach and service across India, rivaling that of Toyota and Honda. Would you then recommend the fluence or it's Nissan variant.
pganapathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2012, 20:25   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So effectively we are saying Toyota and Honda rather than Japanese. Admittedly the others have issues. Mitsubishi can thank HM and the fact that their models are horribly outdated, Nissan their non existent dealers, Suzuki their tie up with Maruti making them Indian.
Personally speaking, yes, I'd only dub those two as Japanese. The others can't quite be clubbed together for reasons you've correctly touched upon (amongst others).

Quote:
However, let us assume Nissan / Renault improve their dealer reach and service across India, rivaling that of Toyota and Honda. Would you then recommend the fluence or it's Nissan variant.
That's a big if and when, but if their (Renault/Nissan) service levels rival the big two Japanese companies, then the Fluence would be an easy sell. Peace of mind is something that's invaluable, it's why people pay such an outrageous premium for the Fortuner. Reliability is an intangible that will always be priceless, which is not to say that the Fluence is unreliable, just that it's an unknown right now. Thankfully, we have a few Fluences on the forum and with their long-term ownership reports they might just inFluence us to take Renault very seriously!
Old 19th November 2012, 05:07   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
Also look for Suzuki Kizashi AT, petrol though!
Don't think any of those will be available pre owned just yet.

Quote:
I wanted to know how many people will be using the car on a regular basis. The reason for this question is that if the OP's father is uncomfortable in tue front seat, despite it being pushed back all the way because of the AC, he could alternately sit in the back seat with the front seat all the way forward. In this scenario, most B+ or more vehicles would give him enough leg space.

The Toyota and Honda cars are both very ideal here, especially with petrol car resale being decimated.
4 people - we considered the option you mentioned but with 4 people, a sedan is the only option left per se.
I checked out a dealer civic, single user 13k kms on the odometer, leg space at the back isn't all that good though, but going for 11.5. I am still not sold on the Civic idea yet, but will be checking out a few other Civics to see if i can get something in the price range I am looking at.
OT, I managed to check out a dealer Fluence, 2010 model, 18k odometer, 10.5 L asking price, but Panvel registered.
Loved the space and the feel of the car compared to the Civic, it seems I am in a minority here when it comes to Renault's looks and feel. Though if push comes to shove, reliability trumps looks every time.

- Sorry about the mini update - this search is still a work in progress it seems.
Anghammarad is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 08:06   #25
BHPian

Sorry for hijacking the thread.
I have a 2011 July diesel Fluence E2. Everything has been fine. But for now, due to certain health issues, I need to have an AT car. Various options were considered. Finally Renault dealer has come with an offer. They have an unsold 2011 nov petrol AT. The deal is , for my car they would give 10lakhs and in exchange I can get the petrol Fluence for 14.75 . This seems to be their final offer after much negotiation. My driving has also come down to less than 1000 Kms. What is the opinion of the members ?
Thanks in advance
Rameshdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 10:15   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameshdude View Post
Sorry for hijacking the thread.
I have a 2011 July diesel Fluence E2. Everything has been fine. But for now, due to certain health issues, I need to have an AT car. Various options were considered. Finally Renault dealer has come with an offer. They have an unsold 2011 nov petrol AT. The deal is , for my car they would give 10lakhs and in exchange I can get the petrol Fluence for 14.75 . This seems to be their final offer after much negotiation. My driving has also come down to less than 1000 Kms. What is the opinion of the members ?
Thanks in advance
Overall it is not too bad a deal. You are getting a new, albeit one year old unused, fluence for a little under 5L.

Petrol will work out because you are not driving too much, but do accept that you are going to spend more as you have a diesel now.

You should also get good service from the dealer as you have made him some money on the deal.

The first thing to do will be to check the car carefully and do a proper PDI. Please have them replace anything that has deteriorated due to age. Rubber tends to do that when sitting idle.
pganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 12:49   #27
Senior - BHPian

2004/2005/206 Accords (AT) are available for 5 to 7 lakhs! Supremely comfortable, extremely reliable. Downside - poor FE (8 to 10 kmpl) and expensive spares.

However, the FE and spares would be the same for Fluence AT as well.

If FE is an important criteria (and I personally agree it should be), it will be better to go for a diesel AT (less choices and rare in our market as of now). With CNG conversion - one needs to be vigilant w.r.t. installation, tuning, maintenance, safety, etc. I would go for it as long as I am the one who will use the car. For parents who will depend on a driver, I would not go for a CNG (as of today).

How about a used Skoda Superb diesel AT (old shape)? Again supreme comfort, good FE. 2003/4/5/6 versions are available real cheap. I know, people will hit me for this suggestion, but I honestly feel it's their dealers that have caused a chaos here (rather than the cars themselves). Spares and service will be expensive but running cost will be lesser than Accord/Fluence or any other petrol AT...

Last edited by anandpadhye : 19th November 2012 at 12:51.
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 13:42   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
How about a used Skoda Superb diesel AT (old shape)? Again supreme comfort, good FE. 2003/4/5/6 versions are available real cheap. I know, people will hit me for this suggestion, but I honestly feel it's their dealers that have caused a chaos here (rather than the cars themselves). Spares and service will be expensive but running cost will be lesser than Accord/Fluence or any other petrol AT...
just remember, parts will be expensive and idfficult to procure. One thing to consider, if you have health issues, is a large Fluence still going to be difficult to manage or you need a smaller car?
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 13:51   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear all - my cousin bought a brand new Fluence Petrol Automatic (without asking me) for 17 lacs. It is giving 5 kmpl. He is tearing his hair out. Be careful.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 22:20   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
2004/2005/206 Accords (AT) are available for 5 to 7 lakhs! Supremely comfortable, extremely reliable. Downside - poor FE (8 to 10 kmpl) and expensive spares.

However, the FE and spares would be the same for Fluence AT as well.
With CNG conversion - one needs to be vigilant w.r.t. installation, tuning, maintenance, safety, etc. I would go for it as long as I am the one who will use the car. For parents who will depend on a driver, I would not go for a CNG (as of today).
Test drove a 2008 AT Accord today, and though the car is superb, it does seem a bit ponderous and a fuel guzzler ( As everyone has said)
Parents will only by driven by me in the car, so I figured CNG made sense, have been perusing Frankmehta's threads on the same.

Quote:
I had not considered diesel AT's at all, thanks for the suggestion, will look into them
Anghammarad is offline   Reply With Quote