Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 4th May 2006, 11:47   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
These commitments mean zero. Tomorrow Honda will say the parts are not stocked internationally etc and there is no demand or some such thing. There isn't much you can do then.
When a company like Honda makes a public statement, I would give them some credibility. Where they source it from is irrelevant as long as it is support by them and their dealer network.

Like I said, they arent doing social service. So many OHCS = Big $$$ in service and repair.

GTO
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2006, 12:03   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
Tomorrow Honda will say the parts are not stocked internationally etc and there is no demand or some such thing. There isn't much you can do then.
Actually there is a lot you can do. The law states that a manufacturer must provide support for their vehicle until 7 years from the date when its production stops.

Additionally, the OHC is a very common car, not only in India but across South East Asia. Its not like an Astra or a Vectra that sold in limited numbers. Aside from the original Honda spares, there are numerous indigenous suppliers making parts for the OHC.

Actually, as far as parts go, it is way easier to find parts for an OHC than it is for a VRS/Rider petrol, simply because there are not that many Petrl skoda's on our roads.
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2006, 12:09   #18
BANNED

I'd trust Honda over Skoda for spares and service any day, whether the car is in production or not.

Having said that, I'd go for the Skoda 1.8T, simply for the performance and big car safety.
Boom Shiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2006, 12:53   #19
Senior - BHPian

Yes Rtech, I am aware of the 7 year period. But already close to 4 years are up, and if you look to buy and mod an OHC, you're going to want to stick with it for a while.

Still, I'd pick the Vtec anyday over the Skoda.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2006, 03:18   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
When a company like Honda makes a public statement, I would give them some credibility. Where they source it from is irrelevant as long as it is support by them and their dealer network.

Like I said, they arent doing social service. So many OHCS = Big $$$ in service and repair.

GTO

WHen a comapny like GM made a statement in India about discontinuing the astra in India they said parts would be available for seven years.

My friend had to get corsa mirros fitted just the year after their promise. And they looks smaller, Dont gel with the style and are of no use at all.

Everybody knows Astra has loads of maintainence and Gm Could sure have banked on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
Additionally, the OHC is a very common car, not only in India but across South East Asia. Its not like an Astra or a Vectra that sold in limited numbers. Aside from the original Honda spares, there are numerous indigenous suppliers making parts for the OHC.
I agree more honda city models are present on the road but astra certainly didnt sell in limited numbers. Astra was once the reigning car in luxury c+ segment.

My only point is that though assurances are given there is no foolproof gurantee that spares and serivices would be available. And any time OHC resale may dip further but skoda will hold its value atleast for some years.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 5th May 2006 at 03:22.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2006, 11:18   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I dont know about Ahmedabad and its dealerships, but bombay GM dealerships have more than enough ready supplies of spare parts. Either ways, I would trust Honda a LOT more than GM. And so did the OHC sell xx times more than Astras.

GTO
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2006, 12:25   #22
Senior - BHPian

Situation in metros like Mumbai or Delhi will be good regarding spares and A/S/S, but it will not be the case with other cities / towns. Especially for discontinued models, the chances are on lower side.
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2006, 13:55   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
Situation in metros like Mumbai or Delhi will be good regarding spares and A/S/S, but it will not be the case with other cities / towns. Especially for discontinued models, the chances are on lower side.
I find this whole discussion funny... How many people here that are talking about "Discontinued OHC/VTec" have actually been to the Honda service centres and came back without spares ? I have seen the local dealer stocking up on adequate quantity of spares for even the OHC Type-1. Now, that car was discontinued long ago... (1999, if I am correct).

One issue though, you will not be able to find accessories for dis-continued models (that includes the Spoiler, floor mats etc...).

Any day, I feel Honda and even Hyundai can be trusted to offer spares and support to older models than Skoda, on which even new cars have to wait for few items that are imported and not manufactured here.

All that said, I would recommend the Rider for your friend if his budget allows that.... a lot more can be done in terms of performance mods... like a Pete's box, etc.. and the Octy is definitely a better highway cruiser than the VTec. If I had the money, I would buy an RS rather than modify a VTec. Stock to Stock, the Octy is a better car because of the fact that it is on a totally different (read Higher..) class....
quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote