Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 10th May 2006, 19:03   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap9dm
Hi Friends,
I am stuck with one of the toughest decisions and seek your advice. I am a pretty novice car driver (hope to improve things by the end of this month). I am thinking about buying my first car.
The cars I am considering are:
1. Swift
2. Fiat Palio
3. Fiat Petra

My plans are of owing a car for around 5 years and then go for a new *big* car. For precisely this reason I am not looking to spend more than 6L on a car right now.

I care about the following:
1. Looks (either swift, or a big car)
2. No nagging problems (like rattling in swift, or frequent issues)
3. If possible, should be one of the new models

I dont care about the FE so much.

I care about looks of the car a lot, and was almost decided on Swift. However I have read some bad reviews about the build quality of Swift. I also have a friend, who owns both a Swift and a Palio and is pretty strong about going for Palio.

I have read some really good reviews about the Palio. What I am really curious is if the advantage of Petra over Palio. I am also curious that is there any other car in the segment which scores over these cars.

Thanks for all the help
Palio is a great even Petra for that case , but why dont you go in for a second hand car . The price for used one is really low. I myself own a Siena 1.7 Turbo diesel . Extremely good though the engine is a bit sluggish . It has done more than 110000 kms and still going strong . Why dont you wait for the New Palio , if you have time . Orelse Go in for Palio incase you dont mind having a used car or else if you are planning to get a new car dont hesistate go for the swift . Getz is also a good option. Ford Fiesta 1.4 Duratec comes in under 5.75 lacs . Hyundai Accent 5.5 lacs. If you run your car a lot Palio 1.6 is not recomended coz it will sip fuel like a bigger car . Palio / Petra 1.2 is very sluggish . I prefer 1.4 Duratec right now coz its really a car that justifies "more car per car " .

Last edited by maxbhp : 10th May 2006 at 19:09.
maxbhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2006, 20:30   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Everyone
Thanks for all the help.
So Adventure seems like a nice car going by reviews. I just have two small queries now:
1. Is there any new car model under 6lakh which is worth considering.
2. Are there any big problems with Swift.
Not trying to get you off your decison for swift but I had not considered swift while discussing about space. Many owners have issues with rear seating space. And talking about status symbol you wont be any different than the multiple others driving swift everywhere.

Also you said you are buying a car for status image. Look at a used ford mondeo in good condition which is 2-3 years old. Will be priced 5.5-6 lacs. IS much more and spacious, powerful and gives 9.5-10 kmpl atleast in the city. Maintainence will be a bit on the higher side but that's about it and can be taken care if you maintain the car properly.

Palio adventure rides on a special set of pirellis to take on any roads If I remember correctly. The extra bullbar and fogs look great. Its the only estate that looks good in India for the price.

But in city palio 1.6 will be good.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2006, 21:01   #33
BHPian

Cool Petra : Update

Update regarding PETRA : One of my friends test drove Petra today and liked the car...he is also stuck with the same issues as mentioned in previous posts(OLDER cars,after sales service,spares availibility,servicing issues etc.)....the guy told him that its a 2006 model and when they investigated to figure out the date of manufacture...it turned out to be a May 2005 car which has run only around 2-3K !!....God knows how the running is so less for a demo car in one year ??

I am a FIAT lover myself and was about to go for Palio but restrained myself as I needed a boot....then I got into the basic segment Sedan arena (I narrowed down to Ikon Flair)...I ruled out PETRA due to the forementioned issues..I had got into long discussions with Vijay Shah(of JAY-VIJAY Motors,Pune)....and he told me that he can offer lot of cash discount on PALIO/PETRA or features worth 80K..but these were for models prior to TATA-FIAT alliance !...means OLD cars only....limited colours were left to choose from....he said that if I opted for new car,then there would not be much discount and no additional features...so If you plan to go for any of the FIAT cars,then be very careful about the dealer and also do a very detailed pre-delivery inspection.....

All the best !!
nitinhegde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2006, 01:01   #34
BHPian

Thanks everyone for help.
I have ruled out Petra. Now I am planning to choose between Adventure and Palio 1.6.
Just read today that petrol is rising by 10 bucls. Any idea about what is the FE of these cars
One more thing. About the new model thing, does any one have idea if the new Fiat models are already in showroom.

Thanks
ap9dm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2006, 01:12   #35
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

I have Palio 1.2 sport Apr 05 (NV) and it gives me 13 KMPL (40%) AC. Had some minor problems which were solved over time. I am very happy with the car but it feels a bit slugish. I guess you can expect 9-11 KMPL from Palio 1.6 sport.

Cheers
Abhijeet
neoonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2006, 01:17   #36
Senior - BHPian

ap9dm, I told you earlier as well, instead deciding based on what people say on forum, find out what your priorities are and which car suits you best. As of now, I see you swaying between Hatch->Sedan->Estate car, each of which serve different purpose and have their own pros and cons. So, I suggest rather than deciding car first and then how to use it, decide your priorities first and then decide the car. All 3 Fiat cars use the same platform A178 and same engine, however, depending on the segment, they will handle and ride diferently.
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2006, 01:25   #37
BHPian

Since, Palio/Adventure/Petra are almost same, I am going to decide on looks.
ap9dm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2006, 09:12   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Palio adventure weighs more and the pirellis are broader profiled. Hence FE will go down by around 2kmpl.

Palio 1.6 makes sense for you.

Also look at Lancer and baleno. Both are japanese. Baleno is 4hp more powerful and has got Auto a/c. maruti network is a boon. Both give similar FE. While Lancer is 5nm more torquey for better city drives. Lancer has got stronger build, more space, better ride and best handling, and even now the 1.5 engine is the smoothest and most refined.

Palio 1.6 gets my vote.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 11th May 2006 at 09:14.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2006, 10:06   #39
BHPian

Thumbs up

Quote:
I have ruled out Petra. Now I am planning to choose between Adventure and Palio 1.6.
Just read today that petrol is rising by 10 bucls.
I own a used honda Vtec 1.5 in bangalore. last year I was really looking at this car Petra ELPS Bharat Stage 3, almost had booked it.. But then there was a bit of confusion with the dealer, and also I could not sort it out as I was bound to travel to europe urgently..

Regarding petra.. I will recommend going in for the diesel Petra.... That has a superior diesel engine after skoda. (this because future is diesel..).

I say this also because fiat offers an champion diesel engine and has several safety features. the features are built to safegaurd the mechanisms of the car and also the strong build to save the driver.

1. for example petra comes with drive monitor. This will detect rash driving over potholes and rugged surfaces at nasty speed levels and thereby the computer cutsoff the engine. One needs to reset the comp from a switch which is located below the codriver dashboard.

2. Another is that it has a technology to grade the diesel filled .. and warn u with lower grade fuel if filled up with.

3. Another is a car anti topling tech ..thing... which will come in handy when u happen to swing the car at great speed and still maintain the equilibrium .. this is fitted below the car..

The technology is "drive-by-wire".. which has much more features ,, u will be surprised ur getting from this car... The dealers are fighting to finish the sales with u.. so upon good bargain they will give u accessories free.. only u need to pester them...

If you are really after FE ... save somemore and go in for New honda city.. it is a good buy..

I suggest that u talk to the service guy at fiat .. who will tell u so many other features the 32bit processor gives u..

good luck
four_tire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2006, 10:09   #40
BHPian

Unhappy

Quote:
They are not same my friend...as RX - 135 has already mentioned...all cars are in different categories...
Palio ->Hatchback,Petra->Sedan...
Adventure is useful for those people who wish to go on very frequent Long drives....need lots n lots of space....you can sleep in the rear in adventure if you fold the seats....The FE of adventure is around 8-10 kmpl.
nitinhegde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2006, 10:45   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection
That's news to me because the dealer I spoke to (A One Motors) only offered me Rs 5000 discount on the Adventure. Could you please provide more details about this offer?
-----------------------

Hey my friend !!

It seems you are in Delhi but howcome you missed so many aggressive marketings ads from FIAT in daily newspapers.

Since day before yesterday they are offering all - 1.2 palio, 1.6 palio and adventure at a cash discount of 30k - 40k for a limited time period for 13 days. The reason could be bcoz new Palio is schedulked to launch in Sep.

Hail FIAT India !! ........ cant control my passion for FIAT.
namit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2006, 11:00   #42
BHPian

Quote:
I have read some really good reviews about the Palio. What I am really curious is if the advantage of Petra over Palio. I am also curious that is there any other car in the segment which scores over these cars.
Thanks for all the help
One advantage of Palio over Petra is that the spares cost less for Palio compared to Petra. The explanation I've heard from dealer is that Petra is not as localizes as Palio, so many parts are imported. May be they are better quality, though
WhiteKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2006, 13:25   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight
One advantage of Palio over Petra is that the spares cost less for Palio compared to Petra. The explanation I've heard from dealer is that Petra is not as localizes as Palio, so many parts are imported. May be they are better quality, though
That is trash. There isn't much difference between the two cars, expect that one is hatch and another one is with boot. Both have same engine, same interiors, same controls. Dealer might be talking about Petra Diesel, which is "Drive-by-Wire" as mentioned by another member below. That can have "imported" parts.
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2006, 13:52   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Just read today that petrol is rising by 10 bucls. Any idea about what is the FE of these cars
ap9dm, your very 1st post says that you do not care much about FE. And now this post enquiring about FE of the cars. Add to that the constant swinging between a hatch, a sedan and an estate. I feel that you are really not sure as to what you want in your car. Before you confuse the members fully (they seem to be a little confused already as some of the posts indicate) who will inturn confuse you with their suggestions, I feel it would be better if you sat down and identify your priorities as far as your car is concerned. That would help others help you, like the Indian Railways say (Help us serve you better).
FE is pretty important, however much we would like to deny it. More so when you are a first time buyer. I am assuming that your current ride is a bike and it should be giving you around 50 - 60 kmpl. Fast forward to a car and that becomes something like 8 - 12 based on the cars that you are looking at. Your ending up with a car having an FE of 8 or 12, makes a big difference over the years and the chance to make that decision is now.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2006, 14:29   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
That is trash. There isn't much difference between the two cars, expect that one is hatch and another one is with boot. Both have same engine, same interiors, same controls. Dealer might be talking about Petra Diesel, which is "Drive-by-Wire" as mentioned by another member below. That can have "imported" parts.
I am not talking about "drive by wire" things here. Please walk into any FIAT showroom and see the spare pricechart and see yourselves. I hope that would be self explanatory.

I am not explaining why there is a price difference between Palio and Petra spares. All I say is there is a substantial price difference.
WhiteKnight is offline   Reply With Quote